The Pathfinder Touch

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

The Pathfinder Touch

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Pathfinder game balance philosophy summarized:

[*] Have a gap in the rules or a theme or tactic that people want to explore? Make it a feat!
[*] When adapting old material or revising material that people are complaining about, nerf it. Assign nerfs not on how objectively abusive the power is but by how much fanboys complain about them.
[*] If you can't nerf or fix a hole in the rules that people ostensibly want/use, instead implement a hole bunch of rules changes such that people can't figure out what's going on. It's a way of deleting something from the rules without admitting that you're deleting it. See: Fly, Stealth, Polymorph, etc.
[*] All levels must give something. And by something, we don't mean anything that will advance core character schticks or will even be noticeable, but something to fill in the blanks. The philosophy of 'no empty levels' is an editing and accounting trick, not something that's supposed to benefit players.
[*] Game effects that are not obviously or trivially abusive or overpowered don't really need to be addressed. Because obviously no table will ever allow the abusive interpretation or combo because Rule Negative Two, bitches.

You might notice that the Pathfinder Touch isn't much different from the 4E D&D Touch. This should tell you something.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Neon Sequitur
Apprentice

Post by Neon Sequitur »

I haven't played Pathfinder, but this is pretty much spot on with respect to 4E.

Which I enjoy playing anyway.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

I wonder what brought this on.
I must say though, referring to 4e when it comes to RPG design is basically like godwin's law everywhere else.

And there are key differences between the 'pathfinder touch' and the '4e touch'. For example: PF is all about giving shitty options because roleplaying while 4e is so anti-roleplaying mechanics that they actively trolled their players about it.
Honestly burying people under crap options seems to be a major theme, see most archetypes. Occasionally there is something really good hidden in the crap, because they have no clue what they are doing (except in stealing stuff from other people).

The all levels must give something reminds me off the 3.5 dead level articles which held up the barbarian as the perfect example of class design.
I do think many people hate dead levels, but filling it with crap is really annoying.

But I don't think the stealth critique is valid. They were testing a new stealth system because they realised their current one is crap.
Not sure what happened to it.

But seeing Jason Bullman post, during pathfinder beta, that the monk was supposed to be inferior to other martials in a straight fight, because monks can move around on the battlefield, pretty much destroyed any faith I had in pathfinder.
Last edited by ishy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
hogarth
Prince

Re: The Pathfinder Touch

Post by hogarth »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:You might notice that the Pathfinder Touch isn't much different from the 4E D&D Touch. This should tell you something.
How shocking that Pathfinder -- a new edition of D&D -- should feel like a new edition of D&D. You, sir, owe me a new monocle.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

And yet, Pathfinder is the 2nd most fun I've ever had playing D&D.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

sabs wrote:And yet, Pathfinder is the 2nd most fun I've ever had playing D&D.
All things considered, that qualifies as damning with faint praise. Given what they started with (a fully functioning and previously revised system, with all the problem areas known and identified), ending up with something shittier than 4e, 1e or even 2e would be fucking criminal. That it still has so many problems is laughable in itself, but that is a direct consequence of the accumulation of minor random changes for no other reason than random change.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Then what pray tell, makes Pathfinder worth all the crappy micromanaging, re-learning of a similar system, and overall lesser D&D experience, assuming you're not going to go Full-Silva on us?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Simply put? If you can't find a 3.5 game anymore, then Pathfinder is definitely more fun than 4E. I would rather stop roleplaying than play 4E. But Pathfinder, at least I can make a character that doesn't intrinsically suck. Although, this does depend on the level of system mastery you're going for.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Aryxbez wrote:
Then what pray tell, makes Pathfinder worth all the crappy micromanaging, re-learning of a similar system, and overall lesser D&D experience, assuming you're not going to go Full-Silva on us?
IT'S SO EVOCATIVE!!!111
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Well, one thing Pathfinder has going for it is that it's basically a whole bunch of stuff bolted onto 3.5, and it's quite likely that you'll play with people who have completely missed the changes to the underlying rules. Also, a lot of the new stuff looks somewhat interesting, like the Summoner. Though, granted, since it took me less than four minutes to find an ability that was literally useless until fixed by errata (it was a damage-transfer to the summon that kicked in after you were knocked into the negatives, which would instantly banish your summoned creature) I'm much less confident that it's actually well-implemented
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

codeGlaze wrote:
Aryxbez wrote:
IT'S SO EVOCATIVE!!!111
Design Challenge: Create a Pathfinder character whose answer to any situation is bears.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Aryxbez wrote:
Honestly, I think it would be about the same in reverse. What if the progression went 3e -> 3.Pathfinder -> 3.5? What would have made 3.5 worth the crappy relearning of a similar system if it came out after Pathfinder?

I found that the worst shit in relearning in 3.5 vs. 3e wasn't the big stuff, it was the tiny changes that you totally wouldn't notice right away and certainly would not expect. That's the shit that riled me up.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

sabs wrote:I would rather stop roleplaying than play 4E.
Roleplay or rollplay?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

The sad thing is I actually felt the need to run a search for that. It is a joke (nonexistent) product, but I honestly wasn't actually sure, which says a lot about how I view 4e products.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Threads like this make me want to go back and finish that D&D 4.x heartbreaker. I keep on thinking "can't be that hard, can be done in a day, really." then I'm distracted by something else.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

nockermensch wrote:
codeGlaze wrote:
Aryxbez wrote: Then what pray tell, makes Pathfinder worth all the crappy micromanaging, re-learning of a similar system, and overall lesser D&D experience, assuming you're not going to go Full-Silva on us?
IT'S SO EVOCATIVE!!!111
Design Challenge: Create a Pathfinder character whose answer to any situation is bears.
Do I have to stat it completely? You might be able to throw together a respectable druid with a triple threat of animal companion, wildshape, and summoning. I think Bearnado is a build I could dig up somewhere.

Nowhere near as hilarious as King Potamus, though.
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Summoner with a bear-form construct works too.

As does a bear obsessed illusionist, particularly if he continually talks to a bear skull and can change the visual aspects of his spells to be bears. Color spray would just be a carpet of tiny bears that overruns and confuses people.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Sir bearington or the Barbearian?
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

erik wrote: Honestly, I think it would be about the same in reverse. What if the progression went 3e -> 3.Pathfinder -> 3.5? What would have made 3.5 worth the crappy relearning of a similar system if it came out after Pathfinder?
I was going to say that, but you beat me to it. Pathfinder is not really any worse than 3.5E; it's just annoying to relearn stuff.
NineInchNall
Duke

Re: The Pathfinder Touch

Post by NineInchNall »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:[*] Game effects that are not obviously or trivially abusive or overpowered don't really need to be addressed. Because obviously no table will ever allow the abusive interpretation or combo because Rule Negative Two, bitches.
This is just the general consumer-base's perception, actually. Pointing out a problem with the rules only and always earns you, "But that's why there's a DM." Can it really be labeled a "Pathfinder" thing if most of the people you ever talk to also share the same sentiment?
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

A DUDE WITH A GUN THAT SHOOTS BEARS
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

All guns can shoot bears, that's not special.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

infected slut princess wrote:A DUDE WITH A GUN THAT FIRES BEARS
Fixed it for you.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Neon Sequitur
Apprentice

Post by Neon Sequitur »

Grizzly bears with owl heads.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Leress wrote:
infected slut princess wrote:A DUDE WITH A GUN THAT FIRES BEARS
Fixed it for you.
But how do you get the bears to work for you in the first place?