Good Games?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Tone is important - it helps define what the norms are. In the Gaming Den, people are very honest with each other - and because an attack on your work can feel like a personal attack, this place has chosen to normalize those attacks. When someone is calling you an idiot, they are not doing it to be mean. They are challenging you to review your basic assumptions and step up your design game.

You say you want to know what works for a game. You have been advised that what works depends largely on what you hope to achieve. You have not provided any clarification on what you hope to achieve and instead are complaining about how people are treating you.

People will (mostly) stop being mean when you stop playing games and start being serious. Pointing out that you're trolling or deliberately wasting time isn't mean - and saying mean things about you if that is what you're trying to do is not entirely uncalled for - but if you want it to stop you should begin by responding to the responses you've already received - like what are you trying to accomplish.

Your questions in the adventure design thread were similarly vague, but because the scope of question was more limited you have received a number of instructive replies. Since it is largely the same people in both threads, I would recommend you review your posts between the threads to determine if it might be the factor that has led you to be asked to suck a barrel of cocks in this thread.
-This space intentionally left blank
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

ghost whistler wrote:Why am i being attacked?
Well, you have been sitting in my ignore list, together with shadzar and silva, so at some point here you wrote something that marked you as a terrible and uninteresting human being.

It's how it works, sorry. :(
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

nockermensch wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:Why am i being attacked?
Well, you have been sitting in my ignore list, together with shadzar and silva, so at some point here you wrote something that marked you as a terrible and uninteresting human being.

It's how it works, sorry. :(
fuck off then.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

If you're not interested in replies to the topic you started, you might consider fucking off. Or, you know, accept that you contributed to the deterioration of this thread (like with your prior post) and focus on salvaging something from it by actually responding.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I was trying to get back on topic.

You still have not clarified what you want to achieve with your game. It makes it difficult to answer an unclear question.

I could go on about 3.x and what is good about the system, but if you are trying to make a rules-light game that doesn't really help much and if I were told that I could have recommend some good ones, in my opinion, or bad ones and laid it to bare.

Clarification could lead to a more precise answer.
Last edited by Leress on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

ghost whistler wrote:He's right in being a massive misogynistic abusive asshole? Please explain
I wanted to consider carefully before I responded. It seems to me that in referring to his comment as misogynistic, you might yourself be a misogynist.

Anyone, regardless of gender, can suck a cock. I don't think that a man who chooses to suck cock is emasculated or feminized. By implying that it is a woman's job to suck cock, you might be on the wrong side of gender equality. If you're instead trying to express disgust with the idea of man-on-man cock-sucking action, you might be a homophobe.

Now, I don't know which label you're more comfortable with, but if you would prefer neither, you might want to reconsider your comments.

Sorry if it feels like I'm piling on - I didn't want to respond hastily and you did ask.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

As a proud cocksucker, I would absolutely take offense if I gave even a single shit about ghostwhatever's opinion on anything.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

If anyone is curious, I think most of GW's ignores came from the passive-aggressive weirdness in the L5R LCG thread.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

deaddmwalking wrote: In the Gaming Den, people are very honest with each other - and because an attack on your work can feel like a personal attack, this place has chosen to normalize those attacks. When someone is calling you an idiot, they are not doing it to be mean.
Don't fucking lie. You may not insult people to be mean, but almost everyone else here is not that nice.

On the other hand I always felt like the suck a barrel of cocks was both sexist and homophobic. In that people used it in a negative context and made the people liked to suck cock feel less than normal people. And that as a catch phase at the den can make it easy for homophobes to fester here.

Edit- Side note some posters like Kaelik make both personal attacks and attacks on others work so what you said is an outright lie .
Last edited by RedstoneOrc on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

There may be mean people on the den. There may even be people that are trying to be mean. But for the most part I read it as an unwillingness to suffer fools. I did observe that personal attacks are common - and I see it largely as a way to allow people to separate themselves from their work. If someone says 'you have bad ideas and you are stupid for having bad ideas' people will still get defensive, but there is a separation of designer and content. Fine line, sure, but I think it generally holds true. I would say that people are being deliberately mean to Ghost, but it appears designed to encourage compliance with social norms - in this case stop trolling/concern trolling and get to his point. I won't feel bad if he feels bad while deliberately trying to waste everyone's time.
erik
King

Post by erik »

RedstoneOrc wrote:On the other hand I always felt like the suck a barrel of cocks was both sexist and homophobic.
Go eat a barrel of vaginas then.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

erik wrote:
RedstoneOrc wrote:On the other hand I always felt like the suck a barrel of cocks was both sexist and homophobic.
Go eat a barrel of vaginas then.
...Fuck it:

Go eat a:
- a bag of vag
- a vat of vag
- a pit of pussy
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

RedstoneOrc wrote:
deaddmwalking wrote: In the Gaming Den, people are very honest with each other - and because an attack on your work can feel like a personal attack, this place has chosen to normalize those attacks. When someone is calling you an idiot, they are not doing it to be mean.
Don't fucking lie. You may not insult people to be mean, but almost everyone else here is not that nice.

On the other hand I always felt like the suck a barrel of cocks was both sexist and homophobic. In that people used it in a negative context and made the people liked to suck cock feel less than normal people. And that as a catch phase at the den can make it easy for homophobes to fester here.

Edit- Side note some posters like Kaelik make both personal attacks and attacks on others work so what you said is an outright lie .
Well the people who insult folks just for living are either assholes or they play them on TV, so any malice is reflexive. It's like someone peppering their sentences with the word fuck: they probably aren't aiming to offend, they just don't care about decorum.

The barrel of cocks thing is semiotic intent, but I can totally see how it can be seen as sexist/homophobic. The way we use it is more "servicing a train of men with your mouth would be more useful to everyone than the dumb bullshit you just said", or just "fuck off". We actually do go hard on people who seem to be overtly sexist/homophobic, as well.

Also, this just turned into tone trolling real fast.

E: so as not to be gendered, I propose "eat a satchel of shit"
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Mask_De_H wrote:E: so as not to be gendered, I propose "eat a satchel of shit"
Isn't "eat shit" already a good one though? Satchel isn't a common word and isn't very catchy as part of an insult.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

ghost whistler wrote:
Leress wrote:Honestly, focusing on the 'feels' is just going off topic.
You made the statement that there was no misogyny, i explained how there was. Feels has nothing to do with it.

This topic went off topic when the abuse started. You seemed to ignore that.
So instead of maybe not being a passive-aggressive wankrag and actually engaging with the forum, you've decided to whine about your butthurt. I stand by my previous assessment of your personal qualities.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

spongeknight wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:E: so as not to be gendered, I propose "eat a satchel of shit"
Isn't "eat shit" already a good one though? Satchel isn't a common word and isn't very catchy as part of an insult.
I was trying to keep the mouth feel of suck a barrel of cocks, as well as the implied large quantity.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Even someone who enjoyed sucking cock would still find felating an entire barrel of them to be a tiring and arduous process. Regardless of the combinatorial of sexuality or gender it still works as a "fuck off".
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

deaddmwalking wrote:If you're not interested in replies to the topic you started, you might consider fucking off. Or, you know, accept that you contributed to the deterioration of this thread (like with your prior post) and focus on salvaging something from it by actually responding.
What replies should I be interested in? Random unsolicited abuse that you keep defending for some reason? Why would I be interested in that?

You lot have already shut down the convo, whining that i'm not interested is disingenuous at best.
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

...You Lost Me wrote:If anyone is curious, I think most of GW's ignores came from the passive-aggressive weirdness in the L5R LCG thread.
Claiming that L5R is racist certainly is weird. Unfounded nonsense spouted by paranoid idiots. Are you sure you're not john tarnowski?
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

Kaelik wrote:As a proud cocksucker, I would absolutely take offense if I gave even a single shit about ghostwhatever's opinion on anything.
And yet you continue to post.
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

deaddmwalking wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:He's right in being a massive misogynistic abusive asshole? Please explain
I wanted to consider carefully before I responded. It seems to me that in referring to his comment as misogynistic, you might yourself be a misogynist.

Anyone, regardless of gender, can suck a cock. I don't think that a man who chooses to suck cock is emasculated or feminized. By implying that it is a woman's job to suck cock, you might be on the wrong side of gender equality. If you're instead trying to express disgust with the idea of man-on-man cock-sucking action, you might be a homophobe.

Now, I don't know which label you're more comfortable with, but if you would prefer neither, you might want to reconsider your comments.

Sorry if it feels like I'm piling on - I didn't want to respond hastily and you did ask.
Youve misunderstood what I was saying, possibly deliberately. I'm not entirely sure.

The 'go suck a dick' was intended as an insult and I explained why.
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

deaddmwalking wrote:There may be mean people on the den. There may even be people that are trying to be mean. But for the most part I read it as an unwillingness to suffer fools.
/facepalm.

Defends insults...with insults

You're not really getting it are you.
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

rasmuswagner wrote:
ghost whistler wrote:
Leress wrote:Honestly, focusing on the 'feels' is just going off topic.
You made the statement that there was no misogyny, i explained how there was. Feels has nothing to do with it.

This topic went off topic when the abuse started. You seemed to ignore that.
So instead of maybe not being a passive-aggressive wankrag and actually engaging with the forum, you've decided to whine about your butthurt. I stand by my previous assessment of your personal qualities.
I haven't whined about anything, you're just making yourself look even m ore stupid by doubling down on the behaviour already shown. If you think i haven't engaged with this forum then you obviously didn't read the post that began this thread.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

ghost whistler wrote: I haven't whined about anything, you're just making yourself look even m ore stupid by doubling down on the behaviour already shown. If you think i haven't engaged with this forum then you obviously didn't read the post that began this thread.
Out of 73 posts in this thread, 12 of them are you whining. Even your admissions that you don't know shit about games or game design outnumber your honest questions.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

ghost whistler wrote:Image
Ghost Whistler has completed his undead pilgrimage and linked the fire, as Silva once did and Shadzar before him.