[3.X] Requesting Spider-man build or class

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

shadzar wrote:find 2e books on drow and convert the spells to 3.?, then you will have more powerful spider themed spells. i am sure plenty was converted already though in the past 13 years.
Not too familiar with 2e. Any recommendations? I think there was an old thread where Ancient History recommended Encyclopedia Magica (did he get around to OSSRing it? Never mind, found it).

Hmm, speaking of old threads and 2e, do you guys mind if I bump this one about mixing systems? I don't have anything to contribute, but would like to read what you guys have to say about the topic.
shadzar wrote:have you asked the player what about spidey he wants from a character?
Actually, no. He asked if he could be Spider-man and we laughed at him and settled on a sorcerer. He's not that invested in character so I'm pretty sure he'll jump to play spider-man. There've been a lot of scheduling conflicts in our group recently so I haven't had a chance to talk to the guy. Once we meet up I'll get a better handle of what he's looking for. If not, I'm rather liking the idea of a Spider-man character myself and I'll pick one the next time someone else runs the game (none of my friends are willing to learn the rules (they pretty much want a session like the D&D episode in Community), so the last time this happened I was still handling rules as a player while he threw monsters at us)
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
fectin wrote:
radthemad4 wrote:He's probably thinking about the comics and not the movies or cartoons.
I'm not really sure "has dated seven different women!" counts as womanizing.
Yeah, I mean, whatever number he dated would be spread out over over fifty years.
I think all the others happened before Mary Jane, but yeah point taken. Definitely not James Bond levels.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

radthemad4 wrote:
shadzar wrote:find 2e books on drow and convert the spells to 3.?, then you will have more powerful spider themed spells. i am sure plenty was converted already though in the past 13 years.
Not too familiar with 2e. Any recommendations?
The 2e Drow of the Underdark or Menzoberranzen.

Game On,
fbmf
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

radthemad4 wrote: The rest of us laughed at him and pointed out that DnD is about fantasy, not superheroes.
This bothers me in the sense that it's inaccurate, as mid-high level PC's have more to do with Superheroes than anything else. 6th-10th is really the range of Spiderman, X-men and the like, and Superheroes genre covers all ranges of level ranges and even genre/tones (grimy Punisher, to Wolverine/Captain America, Thor/Wonderwoman/Hulk, all the way to Superman/Silver Surfer). It's kinda insulting ye guys laughed down said player in such a way with such flawed ideology. Though given yes, D&D doesn't quite carry the narrative tropes of superheroes, but using it as reference material for characters is appropriate.

Aside from this, it kinda reminds me of how Elves had made Mithril Cyberlimbs, and it'd be cool if there was a "Tin Woodsman" or having a Dryad Arm graft, sling vines, bees, and other such at people.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Thanks for the book recommendations fbmf. I'll check them out soon.
Aryxbez wrote:
radthemad4 wrote: The rest of us laughed at him and pointed out that DnD is about fantasy, not superheroes.
This bothers me in the sense that it's inaccurate, as mid-high level PC's have more to do with Superheroes than anything else. 6th-10th is really the range of Spiderman, X-men and the like, and Superheroes genre covers all ranges of level ranges and even genre/tones (grimy Punisher, to Wolverine/Captain America, Thor/Wonderwoman/Hulk, all the way to Superman/Silver Surfer). It's kinda insulting ye guys laughed down said player in such a way with such flawed ideology. Though given yes, D&D doesn't quite carry the narrative tropes of superheroes, but using it as reference material for characters is appropriate.

Aside from this, it kinda reminds me of how Elves had made Mithril Cyberlimbs, and it'd be cool if there was a "Tin Woodsman" or having a Dryad Arm graft, sling vines, bees, and other such at people.
Yeah, we were wrong to laugh at him for that as Spider-man is a pretty viable concept which I didn't realize until I saw all the superhero classes here and in gitp. I think there was an iron man class there, I'll link it here later. A while back I found Frank's pokemon d20 and put a bulbasaur in as a joke. One of my friends got super excited about pokemon in the game and immediately said he wanted a charmander, which would later be a flying mount. It made me realize how awesome and flexible trpgs could be and that I should give players stuff they like more often. Hence my attempt to make a spider-man class viable to hopefully instill that same feeling in this guy.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Holy shit.
I want IRON MAN NAO!
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

radthemad4 wrote:Hmm, speaking of old threads and 2e, do you guys mind if I bump this one about mixing systems? I don't have anything to contribute, but would like to read what you guys have to say about the topic.
Thread bumped.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'd completely forgotten I made this thread. Has a Hulk class, and Iron Man's suit, Captain America's shield, and Mjolnir
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Prak_Anima wrote:I'd completely forgotten I made this thread. Has a Hulk class, and Iron Man's suit, Captain America's shield, and Mjolnir
Awesome.
I love that series or art, too. I'd started following that guy because of that series. xD
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

codeGlaze wrote:Holy shit.
I want IRON MAN NAO!
Here's an Iron Man class from GITP. Interestingly, the guy who made it chose the same artwork Prak did.
Prak_Anima wrote:I'd completely forgotten I made this thread. Has a Hulk class, and Iron Man's suit, Captain America's shield, and Mjolnir
These are amazing, but what level should players get/make the goodies at? Also, since we're going there, I'm guessing Tome Fighter for Captain America (in an actual game we can't have huge power discrepancies between players in the same party (though Darths and Droids seems to manage without issues) but they can still thematically represent the Avengers), the others, I'm not sure.
Avoraciopoctules wrote:Thread bumped.
Thanks. I'm planning to try this myself as soon as I learn another system.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Given that the iron suit and Mjolnir are so god damned powerful, I'd say level ten our so, and I'm under shooting because the game falls apart not long after that. Honestly, they're artifacts, so if characters have them, expect much ass to be kicked.

Cap's shield is nice to have, but not nearly as powerful. It'd probably be ok around level 6 or so. Hulk is fine at the level you can enter it, I'm sure.

What might be better for the suit and hammer is graduated power gain. The suit could be found in pieces, and hammer could grant poet based on HD. A paladin or cleric need only be level 5 too benefit from the hammer, but anyone needs to be level 25.

I can write those set ups a bit later.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.