Worst D&D 3.X NPC Statblocks

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Isn't the math supposed to be done in the 3.x stat block?

:awesome:
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

I don't think any of the statblocks provided so far deserve to be called "the worst". Saying that Elminster is not worth CR 27 doesn't meant much, if the whole CR system had disintegrated long before that point.

I nominate writeups of iconic NPCs from 3E DMG. Tordek and the Chump Gang were objectively awful at levels where you could still mostly make meaningful comparisons, and their baleful influence extended all the way to Pathfinder, where difficulty of an adventure was still inversely proportional to amount of humanoid NPCs in it.
ColorBlindNinja61
Master

Post by ColorBlindNinja61 »

FatR wrote:I nominate writeups of iconic NPCs from 3E DMG. Tordek and the Chump Gang were objectively awful at levels where you could still mostly make meaningful comparisons, and their baleful influence extended all the way to Pathfinder, where difficulty of an adventure was still inversely proportional to amount of humanoid NPCs in it.
Aren't some of the NPCs in Pathfinder walking around with illegal builds? I seem to remember one their Monks having feats they didn't qualify for.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

ColorBlindNinja61 wrote:Aren't some of the NPCs in Pathfinder walking around with illegal builds? I seem to remember one their Monks having feats they didn't qualify for.
I think they had a few issues with some of the pre-gen characters for their organized play campaign.
elvenzord
NPC

Post by elvenzord »

There are some Dragon Magazine NPC adaptations to check that are pretty laughable.

But IMHO I always can recall on Dr312, Halisstra Melarn (a drow from War of Spider Queen novels). She's defined as a Brd8/Clr10 .... yes, a 19th level spellcaster character with 5th level spells at half its power level.

If that does not ring a bell of how 3rd Ed. screws you up multiclassing spellcasting basic classes, nothing will do.

Bonus points on Dr322, where due to a change on Deity, buys another Weapon focus (now longsword) feat, leaving a +5 mace for now wielding a +2 sword. Like if that's going to be of any utility for her...