The questions games ask

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

The questions games ask

Post by silva »

Dont know if its something all games do, but some seem to have specific questions ingrained in its mechanics (understand mechanics here not only as method of action resolution but also overarching rewarding mechanisms and incentives). E.g.:

Unknown Armies: "How much are you willing to sacrifice for power?"

Call of Cthulhu: "How long can you avoid insanity ?", "How long can you avoid death ?"

Apocalypse World: "Can you survive the apocalypse by yourself, or you will accept others help, knowing the price is your secrets, intimacy or worst ?"

Wushu: "How f*cking badass are you ?" ( :mrgreen: )

Thoughts ?
Last edited by silva on Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

:screams:
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Everything Silva Likes: "How long am I going to let the MC jerk me around before demanding a bit of narrative power back?"
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
souran
Duke

Post by souran »

I feel this question is very pertinent. My wife was asking me if there were any games I could get rid of from our basement and so I was looking at the collection and here are the questions I found myself asking:

Heroquest: How is that nobody has made a basic roleplaying board game as good as this game in the 20 fucking years this has been out of print?

Warhammer Quest: How the fuck did you turn out to be better than every edition of warhammer fantasy roleplay?

AD&D 2nd Edition: Who the fuck approved the blue on black typesetting in this book?

Shadowrun 2nd Edition: How the fuck does the matrix work?

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2E: Who the fuck wants to roleplay a rat catcher?

Alternity: Why the fuck did I believe the guy at the gamestore when he said that this will be just like D&D in space?

Mechwarrior: Why the fuck is there roleplaying in my big robot wargame?

VTM: Does anybody actually play with the fucking rules?

WtA: Does anybody actually fucking read whats in the rules?

MtA: So are we just going to say fuck the rules then?

Gurps 2E: Are there any gurps games that are wouldn't be more fun by not using fucking gurps?

BESM: Why the fuck hasn't my wife made me get rid of this before?

3E D&D: How did something so fucking flawed work so well?

Exalted (1E): How can an idea so captivating fail so fucking badly?

Heavy Gear: Why the fuck did I think I needed a second rpg about playing a big robot suit pilot, especially since this game has all the same fucking issues as mechwarrior.

Crossroads of Etenity: What the fuck was i thinking?

Palladium: Why did I let somebody convince me I needed to own a game that has not been updated in 20 fucking years?

Rifts: Why the fuck do I keep listening to a person who obviously has no fucking clue what games should be like?

L5R 2E: Why the fuck did I think this would be better if we played it in a non-d20 form?

Shadowrun 3rd Edition: Who the fuck put the troll with the zebra pants on the cover of a book I need to show people to convince them to play this game?

D&D 3.5: Why the fuck did I let WOTC sell me the same things I already owned again?

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3E: Why the fuck am I buying books about a world designed to sell plastic figurines?

D20 Modern: Why the fuck did I not learn from Alternity that when the guy at the game store says its like D&D in X that means it is going to suck?

StarWars D20: Why do non-jedi classes fucking exist?

Wheel of Time d20: What the fuck would I have player characters do in this?

NWOD (VtR/WtF/MtA): Why the fuck did I think that these concepts would be better with functioning rules and less metaplot?

Shadowrun 4E: Does the Matrix Fucking work yet?

Exalted 2E: Why the fuck?

D&D 4E: Where the fuck was this game when I was in Junior High?

Pathfinder: Why the fuck do I own so many fucking copies of the same rules.

Thats the questions that I come up with when looking at most of the rpgs in my collection.
Last edited by souran on Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

Gurps 2E: Are there any gurps games that are wouldn't be more fun by not using fucking gurps?
GURPS Goblins comes to mind. The entire thing seems really tied to the GURPS mechanics.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Most games that use realistic and/or historical settings and themes. Ie: Transhuman Space and Gurps Rome.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
mlangsdorf
Master

Post by mlangsdorf »

souran wrote: Heavy Gear: Why the fuck did I think I needed a second rpg about playing a big robot suit pilot, especially since this game has all the same fucking issues as mechwarrior.
Care to clarify here? Heavy Gear has plenty of issues, and they generally got worse with each successive game in the Silhouette line, but I generally thought they were much different issues than Mechwarrior.

I mean, Mechwarrior (the RPG) uses a different die mechanic and different target numbers than Battletech (the board / minis / wargame). Heavy Gear has a unified system. A mechanically problematic unified system, but a unified system.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Im curious about this too. Specially because I hear only good things about Heavy Gear and only bad things about Mechwarrior (besides playing it myself and finding it lackluster).
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Mutant Year Zero: "How long can you survive in a world thats crumbling all around you like a sand castle in the wind ?"

Shadowrun: "How much a contender for worst rules ever you think this game is ?" ( :mrgreen: )
Atmo
Master

Post by Atmo »

*World: "How many bears can you fit in here?"
☆ *World games are shit ☆ M&M is shit ☆ Fate fans gave me cancer ☆
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Call of Cthulhu: "How is this 6th iteration of the system still completely useless early 1980ies shit?"
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Paranoia: "How do I fuck the other PCs before they fuck me?"
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

rasmuswagner wrote:Call of Cthulhu: "How is this 6th iteration of the system still completely useless early 1980ies shit?"
You missed a 0 on '6th' in there.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

rasmuswagner wrote:Paranoia: "How do I fuck the other PCs?"
I thought that was VtM LARP?
Last edited by Zaranthan on Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Zaranthan wrote:
rasmuswagner wrote:Paranoia: "How do I fuck the other PCs?"
I thought that was VtM LARP?
Nope. VtM LARP question is: "How do I fuck the other players ?"