Drunk Indie Game Review: 3:16 - Carnage Amongst The Stars

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Drunk Indie Game Review: 3:16 - Carnage Amongst The Stars

Post by Koumei »

Good evening, viewers, time to spice things up with a review of something that wasn't attached to one of the giants. Indeed, this wasn't even a second or third tier game like L5R or "WW shovelware era". I don't have many indie games, because I'm not a total fucking hipster, but there is this gem.

First thing first, the rules: my weapon of choice is going to be Somersby cider, but if I continue this after I go shopping, it will be Bundaberg Mutiny. I will drink every time something is so stupid it hurts, and speaking of which, I mentioned the title of this, so TIME TO DRINK!

Also, with 3:16 there, let's just get this out of the way:
If you think I should stomp a mudhole in this game's ass, gimme a Hell Yeah!

There will be more Stone Cold as we keep going. Now, let's start with the cover and the credits. This is published by Box Ninja, and designed+written by Gregor Hutton. He also did the art, with cover art (or covert art apparently) by Paul Bourne. The game has won an award, and nobody gives a damn because seriously, awards in the gaming industry. Of note, it has three people listed for "Game System Advice", including...

Ron Edwards. Oh look at that, time to drink!

Also, there are 13 playtesters, which is a decent number for a game of this size and scope. I should mention that it does feel playtested, but I'll get to the mechanics later. Just think "Eurogame", where there is a sound little system, also there is a theme, AND THE TWO NEED NOT MIX.

With additional thanks to a whole bunch of people including the Forge. Look what time it is: drink time!

Other than that, it's dedicated to his father, and in memory of his grandfathers.

Anyway, the front cover shows small spacecraft or drop pods or space torpedoes heading towards a planet. So it's probably a space thing. "Carnage Amongst The Stars" suggests that anyway. Spoiler: it's a space thing. One thing I'll say, it's not bad art. It isn't action-heavy, going for a more menacing "it's coming" sort of feel, which doesn't quite match the game, but nonetheless, I've seen a lot worse by companies with big budgets.

So after the contents page, we get to the intro. There is a one-page fiction piece, but I need to point out, I have the pdf and these pages aren't big. Actually, it looks like in print it'd be on an annoying square page thing. Anyway, it's not in italics, and you can read it easily. It gives you an idea of what this game is actually about, and actually clues you in on one of the key mechanics/themes: the character in the story is shooting a bunch of aliens, starts to panic as more keep coming, then has a flashback to her childhood, where the moral of the story is "don't panic", so she calms down, then kills the aliens.

Because that's what this game is about: going to new places and killing the aliens. You need to enter, open up a can of whup-ass, raise hell and leave, and that's the bottom line, because Stone Cold said so. And sometimes you get to activate memories where you tell a little story and get to either automatically win the encounter or lose on your terms.

After that we get a one-page comic of the above, with no dialogue, and honestly it's hard to figure out what it's telling you.

Next there's one column on what RPGs are (and it acknowledges that you probably already know, because he knows your first RPG is going to be Shadowrun, D&D or World of Darkness). The next one explains what THIS RPG is. You're part of the elite 3:16th Expeditionary Force, a military team that left Terra (see: Earth. I'm going to drink at this point) with over 10,000 doods, many years ago. The mission? KILL EVERYTHING IN THE UNIVERSE.

I'm sold.

Essentially, it's because they decided omnicide of everything that isn't of Earth-origins is the safest way to protect humans from the alien monsters out there. Terra became so wonderfully magical that nobody works and there's no hate, crime, disease or trouble. Drink time! People are sterile and have to seek permission to have children (with temporary modifications made to unsterilise them). So life is all perfect and happy and in no way creepy. It's also boring.

Seriously, everyone in the military has joined because they're bored, and with life expectancy being "what you want it to be", when you decide "Yeah I figure I've spent long enough being alive, may as well clear space up so someone else can be born", you could just drop into a suicide booth, or you could join the Force. You're never going to see Terra again, but why would you want to? Your boredom is cured, you get to KILL SHIT until you die! So you're in the 16th Brigade of the 3rd Army.

It only takes until page eight, the start of chapter 2 (Getting Started), to say what dice you need (6 and 10, incidentally). This is certainly reasonable. It then tells you the importance of playing to the Theme. That it's about making choices, and what happens as a result of those choices.

The glossary is all of one small page, and it covers all the generic game terms without getting caught up in spelling out specific rules and abilities yet. This is exactly what it needs to be: no drinking here.

Right, at page 10, it's Chapter 3: Character Creation. I said it's an indie game, that means this is quick.

First you need a name, even a nickname. Apparently there is a list on page 90. We'll get to that.

Then you need a reputation - a short phrase or word that describes you. Basically, something people could use to describe you real quick.

Then you have your two stats. Yes, all of them. Both of them. You have Fighting Ability, which covers fighting (any action where the intended result is to kill shit), and Non-Fighting Ability, which covers everything else (including things that impact on fighting, such as disengaging, trying to set up an ambush and so on). You get to split 10 points between them, with each having a minimum of 1 point.

Next, you determine how much crap you've already killed, by rolling (Fighting Ability)d10 and adding it up. Your kills is important, because this is a score-tracking game.

CAN YOU FEEL THE INDIE YET?
I'm a little teapot, short and stout...

So at the start, you have access to Strengths and Weaknesses, called "Flashbacks", but you don't write them down. You generate these when you use them. Your character is actually supposed to be fairly generic and bland to start with, fleshed out as you go along.

Now, the player with the highest Non-Fighting Ability gets to be Sergeant (if there's a tie, they each roll a die, with highest being Sergeant and next being Corporal). If there is no Corporal yet, then that's the one with the highest Fighting Ability (roll off for ties). Everyone else is a Trooper (HAHAHA SUCK SHIT FOR TAKING 5-5).

You then note your gear down, and you're ready to play.

Now, the book goes straight into the ranks, and the stuff they get, including some rules info for them even though you don't know what the ratings mean. On the other hand, it's kind of relevant to note down at character creation.

A Trooper is the lowest rank, and they can use Force Weakness, which is 77 pages away. They only have one responsibility: kill as many lifeforms as you can. These guys enjoy being the dumb grunts who get to wander up and kill shit without thinking. They get MandelBrite Armour, a knife, hydration tablets, TRMs, a medipack, a backpack, combat drugs, flares, and an unread field manual. Just so you know the attitude everyone has here. That's kind of funny.

Also, they get grenades and either a slug rifle or energy rifle. Protip: discuss amongst the team which range you're going for, then everyone take the same choice.

The Corporal has the added responsibility of "Maximise the kill ratio (bugs killed per Trooper)". They get to have bigger guns, and they love that. So should you. They get a tatty field manual, a mitt/ball, and instead of the rifle, a heavy machinegun or energy cannon.

Sergeant has added responsibilities: follow directives issued by Officers, and protect the squad of Troopers. They get to use E-Vac (page 89). The Sergeant is automatically a drill-sergeant who uses fuck about as often as we do. He has a well-used field manual, and a radio. Also, for weaponry, he has a slug rifle or heavy machine gun, and sidearm.

Then it stops telling us about ranks, because those are the three starting ones, and moves on to 4: How to Play.

So, each game session covers a mission or two on a planet, with maybe 20 or so sessions in a campaign. Each time you go to a new world, the GM generates a new planet in advance of the session. Each session starts with a Mission Briefing, telling everyone the name of the world, the details of the surface features, and maybe some info about the bugs.

Here is the roleplaying advice:
-Play, don't work. Embrace the kill-happy machismo. Don't stress.
-Live the Moment. Don't plan ahead, your character might die.
-Be a Team Player. Listen to others as much as you speak. Share ideas but enjoy the ideas of others too.
-Don't Try to Be Too Clever. Don't bring in too many twists and turns, go with the intuitive and obvious answers. Simple is best.
-Be Direct. Subtlety can be confusing, so just be direct.
-Be Open. Be open-minded, and honest about how you feel.

Some of these apply more to players or to the GM, but overall they're for everyone. It really wants a relaxed situation where nobody gives too much of a fuck about anything. Presumably, the ideal scenario is where nobody really gives a shit about the game and they just don't bother showing up so it folds.

And yes, you should already be picturing a twin-stick shooter like Shadowgrounds at this point.

So once you land on the planet, the GM "frames" the scene, describing what is there and all that. You know, like normal. They insist on calling this the platform for the scene, and that the GM then introduces a tilt, and goddamnit my drink is empty.

Then the monsters appear and the GM commits some Threat Tokens to it, and things start to turn into a German Board Game. Also, it then says it's perfectly acceptable for players to start taking turns framing the scenes for encounters, letting the GM just throw the aliens into it because whatever. I kind of like the "throw a ball to the PCs, let them make the world a bit" approach, but on the other hand it highlights how little it all matters to the game.

So now they explain how rolling a test works: it's 1d10, roll under to succeed at all, with highest successful roll being the best. DRINK.

So when the aliens appear, players all roll NFA, and the aliens roll a single "Alien Ability" (they have just Alien Ability instead of two separate things). If the PCs all succeed and the aliens fail, the PCs ambush set the initial range (Close, Near, Far, Wherever You Are) and ambush the enemy. If the PCs all fail and the Aliens succeed, the GM sets the range and the aliens Ambush the PCs.

Otherwise, no Ambush, but: highest success is a PC? They set the initial range. Highest success is alien? GM sets the range. Everyone fails? the range is Far.

Roll-off between ties of course. And when the initial range is set, that's the range of ALL PCs from "the group of aliens". The aliens are all in one group always.

It actually has a cool little chart thing you can use, looking like a blip-blip radar thing. So you put the Threat Tokens (use those glass counters that you get in the Pokemon card game) at the centre dot, and the players have their tokens placed in the C/N/F parts. Here's the basic summary:

Close is for hand to hand combat, and often the most dangerous.
Near is "optimum for most kinds of ranged weapon"
Far is generally a spot that's safer for players but where weapons cause fewer kills

If you go beyond Far, you left the encounter: either you deliberately ran away like a little girl, or the GM had the enemies try to run (where everyone moves one step away) and you couldn't keep up. Weapons do different numbers of "kills" at different ranges, and you want the most kills possible, so you should figure out your favourite range.

In an Alien Ambush, every PC gets hit once. You have 3 HP: one hit makes you a Mess, the next Cripples you, and then you're Dead.

If the PCs Ambush, the PCs roll a d10 each to determine their "surprise round initiative" and each removes a Threat Token and deals kills as necessary. If the Threat Tokens reach zero, the enemies are wiped out, anyone yet to act can suck a dick.

Right, so let me explain the Eurogame thing:

Every group of enemies has a number of Threat Tokens assigned. However, when the enemies act, the number of Threat Tokens has no effect on this. Furthermore, when a PC succeeds on a Fighting Ability action, they remove one Threat Token, but they deal a number of "kills" based on the weapon. So there is "a bunch" of enemies, you know, some number, and you just kill some of them every now and then. DRINK

Right, every round, everyone decides what they're doing, and then everyone rolls a test (FA, NFA or AA). Or a "Flashback" can be declared, in which case that happens. Ruling out a Flashback, you work down from the highest success to the lowest - with failures just not having a turn. If you succeed with FA, remove one Threat Token and cause kills. If you succeed with NFA, you do the thing you wanted to do (like changing range by 1 step). If the baddies succeed with AA (remember there's only one AA roll, not one per token, not one per actual critter because that's a quantum number), you cause a hit to every PC who failed, or succeeded with equal to or less than you. Alternatively, any success can be used to cancel out with everyone yet to act - basically, you go "I fail, but so does everyone else with a turn coming up".

Ties can't cancel each other, and damage/hits are simultaneous when tied. Roll off for ties if that is necessary (like 2 "attack enemy" tied successes with only one Threat Token left).

How fucking often has "just roll off" come up now?

Also if you succeed on FA/AA before your opponent (so for a PC, "before the baddies", for the baddies, "before everyone else"), you can additionally change range by 1 step at the end of the turn.

NFA is used generally for changing range on your turn, or changing weapons.

Also, "having a turn explaining shit" is a big thing in this. So any time an action succeeds, that person gets to describe the ensuing carnage. After all successes, failures take turns from highest to lowest, where they get to describe their failure or the scene or something. Um, okay.

Combat keeps going until either the PCs are all dead, the enemies are all dead (zero Threat Tokens), all survivors are beyond Far Range, a PC uses a Strength, or no hits/kills are caused for 3 complete rounds. Any remaining Threat Tokens are put back in the general pool for the planet generally (although using a Strength removes all of them, for instance). But that does mean killing 2 out of 5 then retreating... does indeed mean you've at least taken 2 out, but the remaining 3 might be a separate encounter, or it might just be added to a future encounter.

And only now does it mention what I said above. The bit where kills and threat tokens and such are vague and not linked and you shouldn't define the number of enemies ahead of time - it's determined after the fact. I think this is stupid. I also think this is a lot later than necessary to mention this.

I'm taking a break after this chapter, but I'll finish it. It next talks about Armour. It can insulate against the heat of a volcano, and protect you from space. Anyway, once per planet, you can negate one hit against you, by damaging your Armour. It absorbed the hit. No, this isn't always the first hit, you get to decide. Also, once per planet, you can use your Combat Drugs for a FA re-roll. However, it's worth remembering that not all drugs are good.

If your re-roll is a 10, it fucks you up and you take a hit. It doesn't say whether your armour can block it.

Next, the Threat Tokens: each planet has a number of these equal to (players x 5). So in combat, they are placed at the start. Using an alien Special Ability spends a token, and when PCs kill them, it removes one. Using a Strength removes all (and you roll for kills using your best weapon*range combo). Using a Weakness removes 1 Token (but also removes that PC from the encounter).

The game has no wound penalties. If you're a Mess or Crippled, that just changes how close you are to death, and helps describe your appearance. At Dead, you are Dead.

So from encounter to encounter, the number of Tokens spent to it will vary. Between any two encounters, everyone restores one hit against their health (from Crippled to a Mess, or a Mess to Healthy). The Final Encounter on the world uses all remaining Threat Tokens, and it's to the death, no retreats. After that, every survivor goes back to the ship, medals are awarded to people, and whoever killed the most things on that world gains a Level. Everyone else then rolls 1d10, with the best roll also gaining a Level (if the best is a tie, all who rolled that gain a Level).

When you gain a Level, you add +1 to either FA or NFA (max 10). You also gain a Flashback Slot, whichever has the most "Not Yet Available" (so you're generally going Strength, Weakness, Strength, Weakness).

Everyone heals fully when they return to base.

It then tells us that between missions (which is a couple per world, with a few encounters per mission), you develop your PC: automatically increase one weapon at one range category by one step (such as 1 to 1d6 or 1d6 to 1d10). Then you can try to roll NFA to upgrade a different weapon, or gain a new piece of wargear. More detail at a later page.

AND THAT'S IT FOR THIS CHAPTER AND THIS POST.

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

Holy shit I remember this. We used to play it piss drunk with Starship Troopers on in the background.

It was more of a Kobolds Ate My Baby (without as much humor) type of game for us.

Although I remember reading it that there are references that the setting is basically an unreliable narrator, and that Earth might not be as awesome as you remember/believe.

It was interesting. Then the Space Hulk card came came out, ditched the GM for auto-mechanics, and that became our go-to single shot bug killer game.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

This actually sounds like it might be fun?

Holy shit, though, his website is a mess.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I give it a lot of shit (and will continue to do so), but it's a fun little game for the most part. Mainly I'm ruthless because it's funny, and also because the flaws detract from what is otherwise a good game, one that could have been perfect as a quick "Let's play an unrelated one-off!" game were it not for Forge-based pretension.

Let me put it this way: when I bought the pdf, it wasn't a pig in a poke, I knew what I was getting, but still thought it worth the money.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

This actually seems like a reasonable place for the roll-under system. In most cases it's dumb, but so far it sounds like there are literally no complex situations.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

fectin wrote:This actually seems like a reasonable place for the roll-under system. In most cases it's dumb, but so far it sounds like there are literally no complex situations.
There are fairly frequent opposed rolls though, and the kills scoring sounds like it would benefit from degrees of success, with numbers advancing to high values as time goes on and a ridiculousness-of-your-action chart that goes to say 110.
Last edited by schpeelah on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Nice review so far, looking forward to more!

So is the 3:16 thing in reference to anything other than wrasslin'? I can't imagine it has anything to do with the bible verse.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You are the sixteenth regiment of the third battalion. You could make a huge stretch to vague reference to the bible verse and the themes of the game, but it's likely just there for the same of pretension or something.

I'll continue later on when I feel like drinking. I have the Bundaberg Mutiny ready, the bottle art is so awesome.

And yeah, with all the opposed rolls and shit, it really should work on a measures-of-success thing, where if your Ability is 8 and you roll a 5, you succeed by 3, and that is better than a guy who rolls a 6 with an Ability of 7. And at that point, you could do this revolutionary thing introduced some time in the last couple of years where you add a number to a die roll and high is good, I mean really, for fuck's sake.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Koumei wrote:it's likely just there for the same of pretension or something.
Oh yeah. Indie game, I forgot.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Hello again, viewers! I am here with my good friend Bundaberg Mutiny.

Yes, the polar bear has an eyepatch.

Between the two of us, we're going to tackle the next episode of 3:16 Carnage Amongst The Stars, or CATS for short.

No relation, probably.

Chapter five: Flashbacks

This is, as mentioned before, one of the key (and honestly pretty cool) mechanics in the game. As mentioned before, you're supposed to enter the game with fairly generic characters who as yet lack real personality. You develop this in play by using Flashbacks.

After everyone rolls their dice in combat to determine their actions, anybody can leap in to declare a Strength or Weakness. If someone declares a Weakness, then nobody can play a Strength (it's silent on whether they can play a Weakness). If somebody plays a Strength, nobody else can play a Strength, but others can still play a Weakness (generally only a good idea in PvP combat).

Either way, when it's confirmed that you get to play your Strength or Weakness, you get to give a short description of what this flashback is - write an apt name for it on your sheet and cross its box out as used. Describe the flashback to your past, and how it relates to this situation, without droning on like an Exalted stunt.

Then, if it's a Strength, YOU WIN THE ENCOUNTER. All Threat Tokens are removed, and you get to roll Kills for your weapon at its best range. The encounter is over.

If it's a Weakness, you lose the encounter, but on your own terms. You are out of the combat, so you avoid anything that will happen to anyone in that turn. You remove one Threat Token, and if any tokens remain, everyone else continues as normal. You have to narrate it as a loss, and caused by some defect - you don't get to narrate it as a victory. The example is your character being left alone because they're known as a sociopath, so the monsters swarm them, cover them in web and carry them off to their lair. So the next encounter is obviously "Now we go rescue Bill" (or isn't - whatever). I don't know if "I'm a coward, I run away" is acceptable, or it has to be that extreme.

They then remind us that the final Weakness for everyone is automatically "Hatred for Home". Now honestly, they should push people towards this more, and make a bigger deal about it. The idea is that by the end, you actually hate Terra and you're never going back. You're addicted to violence, or perhaps you're completely aware about how full of shit they are, that the perfect world thing is all propaganda and that you are an undesirable element of which they wanted to dispose.

Anyway, I like this idea. I'm not saying I'll steal it to put in every game I run, it works specifically for this game. But it does work at all (and yes, works by completely disregarding the normal rules of the game as regards weapon ranges, turn order, success/fail based on the dice and all that).

Chapter six covers missions. It mentions the GM should plan them. That's a good idea, and nothing new. "Name the planet, and make some brief notes on the kind of world and creatures". Then some rough ideas "but hold them lightly". Because it acknowledges that players are likely to take things in another direction, and the GM shouldn't be too wedded to their plans.

That's good advice. Where we're going, we don't need rails!

After that, it talks about how you have to match the fiction to the encounters. You know what would be nice? If they put more effort into doing that so you didn't have to all the work there.

Missions start with briefings - the GM plays a Senior Officer (who should be uncaring and unsympathetic). If a player is of high enough rank, they can in fact do that - either the GM hands them the briefing notes and they tell everyone else, or just lets them invent the mission. Basic objectives are then given, like "Go to place X and establish a landing point".

The various encounters then sort of springboard from each other - the first encounter lets the players know what the Special Ability of the aliens is on this planet, and the results of any given encounter will determine what is going to happen for the next one.

The number of Threat Tokens for an entire planet is [PCs x 5]. Or x4 if you find it's too much of a grind and want shorter sessions. They then suggest the number of encounters (and how to distribute the Threat Tokens between them) across the entire mission. It's pretty good advice, over all. Pretty similar to how various versions of D&D suggest an adventure have X number of encounters of Challenge Rating (level), (level-1), (level+1) and so on, or X number of Minion fights, Y number of Elite + Normal fights, Z number of Solo fights and one proper boss. Or an XP pool to be divided amongst fights.

What I'm saying is, it isn't revolutionary, but it's good advice that not all games think to do, and they suggest a decent breakdown.

They also mention Field Promotions: when the most senior ranking PC dies during a mission, the next-highest ranked PC is immediately promoted up to that rank. Roll NFA tests for ties, of course. This is in addition to other promotions that happen later.

They then discuss basic mission types - scouting, investigating, rescuing, capturing (or holding terrain). Extermination of all life forms is just a sort of given, it's what happens while you're doing your actual missions.

Tune in next day/week/whatever, where we talk about what happens between missions!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'm extremely unimpressed by the core mechanic. The optimal party is where one or two guys go all-in on non-combat so that the team isn't constantly ambushed, while everyone else goes all-in on murder hobo. Then the optimal play is for the lowest scoring player who beat the aliens to end the turn, rinse and repeat.

The big problem of course is that actually being the non-combat guy is pretty much forfeiting all your points forever. And ending the turn rather than getting some kills is of course forfeiting your personal points for the turn.

It's like some kind of Prisoner's Dilemma as the whole game. The optimal way to play is to accept that another player "wins." What the fuck?

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Unfortunately, this is correct. The thing preventing optimal play is the fact that you're supposed to compete rather than cooperate. And that once you "solve" the game, it is very boring - and that's 90% of the game.
TheFlatline
Prince

Post by TheFlatline »

You could adapt the strengths and weaknesses to almost any game if you wanted to as a sort of panic button. Everyone starts out as generic murder hobo and if you invoke a strength you get to detail it. Invoke a weakness and say you draw from a deck of cards that everyone collectively filled out. Throw in a "hatred of earth" card for each player and shuffle the deck up. Your weaknesses are over when you hit hatred of earth. Cards are permanently pulled from the weakness deck.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Strengths thing seem fine enough. You give players a bit of narrative currency and demand that they give a little rant when they are to use them. The Weaknesses don't seem to actually have a point. Mechanically all they do is allow you to tell an embarrassing story instead of losing a health level. I suppose you could also use them to cock block other players from getting kills, but that just goes back to the basic issue that Prisoner's Dilemma in cooperative storytelling games is still dumb.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

FrankTrollman wrote:Mechanically all they do is allow you to tell an embarrassing story instead of losing a health level.
I'm not hearing a downside.
Last edited by Orion on Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Basically, there are four times where you'll use it:
A) To survive PvP combat when someone else uses a Strength to win
B) To be a dick and deny someone else a token (and the kills they roll)
C) If it prevents you from actually being killed
D) If someone uses Force Weakness against you

D is explained later in the general section of "Special Abilities", but whoever has the lowest Rank (including all ties) gets this ability. You use NFA to force another PC to use a Weakness (if they have one available). This can only be used once per Mission - the first successful use "wins" in that respect. Yes, you basically use it to troll other players and fuck with their careers.

(If you use a Weakness - including forced - in a mission, then unless you advanced in rank as well, you have to roll NFA or be demoted.)