[Dom4] WhoIsLeft - Game (w)On

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

WHELP... that was dumb. I was in the middle of finishing up my orders and suddenly: A wild family conversation about the future appears! Cue three hours of tears and budgetary analysis! AND A STALE TURN!

So dumb.

Whatebbs. I would like to apologize to K, for not being a worthy opponent last turn; I swear I'll do better. Honest.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I've now offically won a battle against sacred giants. Long-term still isn't looking good, though.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, game over for Arco, I've gone AI.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Yep. That was smoothly played. If you had made it to the midgame, I'm sure you'd have done some serious damage to me.

Either way, I am impressed and respectful at how early you got a functional Gifts of Heaven communion going, and it's accuracy. I remember using it elsewhere, and finding it profoundly inaccurate. Guess it does have a strong tendency to target high HP targets.

Lucky that I got an army in front of your escape attempt.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, I picked a Great Sage pretender for pretty much exactly that reason. That gave me both pretty impressive research on my pretender himself, and a bonus to all of my other researchers. I actually probably spent too much time dicking around on other research paths and recruiting Astrologers without making sure I had enough Mystics as slaves. You might have noticed that my frontline combatants included a unit of Wights.

I'd also set a bunch of mystics to cast Acid Rain, but I'd badly misjudged distances. Should probably have set them as slaves instead, then I wouldn't have microwaved my slaves in the first engagement.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

You also didn't know I was down there --- you sent scouts north, I imagine, and didn't have a big scout network?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Actually, I didn't have many scouts; I was mostly relying on my dominion scry effect.

However, I should have been working on that plan anyways, because my national troops are pretty good in the early game for most purposes because repel checks.

Oh, as for the accuracy thing: my Communion wasn't actually very accurate. Each casting drops three rocks, and I had several casters, so I'd get a few hits a turn. Since each hit simply erases a very expensive sacred giant, that was reasonably effective. As I recall, the targeting formula is more complicated than just HP of target, but whatever the details it will send Gifts From Heaven after sacred giants pretty reliably.
Last edited by name_here on Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

C'tis is investing in construction. We can already make Clams of Pearls, supply point boosters, reinvig boots, horror helmets, eye shields, and rings of water breathing. Soon, we will access to construction 4 as well. If you are interested in trading, let me know.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Seriously? Tien Ch'i has had Construction 4 for a while. If people need magic items made and are willing to pay in gems, we can do that.

-TC
K
King

Post by K »

The armies of Ermor had a bad day in Abysia. It cost the lives of 227 of their own units to take the lives of a Wolf Archer and an Ogre.

Both the Wolf Archer and the Ogre will be missed as they were scheduled to be wed to each other on the following Sunday.
Last edited by K on Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Ermor simply could not let that that happen. :tongue:
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Hey, Name_here, if you're still interested in subbing for Ermor, PM me with any questions and I'll supply a debriefing of my current resources, strategy, agreements, and password.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Huh, I've sent in my 2h file twice now, but no response. Maybe llamaserver is just being sluggish.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Wait, just got the turn, nevermind.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

C'tis has Construction 4 researched. If you're interested in trading for frost brands, thistle maces, crystal coins, etc., let us know.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

As each turn goes on, I think "damn, I am not actually very good at this."
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I'm kind of bemused at the number of indie provinces, let alone the number of indie-held Thrones. It's year three, guys.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm kind of bemused at the number of indie provinces, let alone the number of indie-held Thrones. It's year three, guys.
Hey now. Some of those indie thrones are defended by empowered titans and over a hundred magic beings. They will get taken down... but not by regular expansion forces.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm kind of bemused at the number of indie provinces, let alone the number of indie-held Thrones. It's year three, guys.
My excuse is that some asshat invaded me on Turn 12 with far too few units to actually win.

The price of early war is not just in lost units, but in lost chances to site search, build infrastructure, and mass enough troops and research to conclusively make war in the mid- and late-game.
Last edited by K on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Ikeren wrote:As each turn goes on, I think "damn, I am not actually very good at this."
Don't worry, you're in fine company. I just realized Foul Vapors was the same school as Raise Skeletons, and that's supposed to be an iconic MA C'tis spell. This game's probably going to be the first time I actually cast it.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

C'tis is likely to come into conflict with T'ien Ch'i in the coming months. If another nation is willing to provide us with a map of their current territories and troop dispositions, we are willing to trade gold or gems for it.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I think I did decent in my early war, though only time will tell.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

So Hicks has agreed to pass Ermor to me starting now. Could you see to the requistite hosting voodoo and delay the turn a bit?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

name_here wrote:So Hicks has agreed to pass Ermor to me starting now. Could you see to the requistite hosting voodoo and delay the turn a bit?
I could, if you PM me your email address.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Just for the sake of clarity, I'm totally for name_here taking over for Ermor. Hopefully when this is all over, and it should be inside of 18 turns, I'll get to do a recap of the first two years for Ermor for the folks at home and K, but doing that now may compromise what name_here wants to do with your local friendly undead hellscape. Good luck guys.
Last edited by Hicks on Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made