Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Gin tastes like sap

Post by AndreiChekov »

of a pine tree.
No really, it does.

This is really for posting how to mix drinks.

I'm a big fan of the white canadian, and the whiskey sour.

For a white canadian, milk and whiskey 50/50. It curdles, but its like cottage cheese. Just drink it fast. It tastes good, but feels funny.

Whisky sour, you should know about. 50/50 lemon/whiskey.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
K
King

Post by K »

Gin tastes like sadness. Mostly old-timey sadness with a slow jazz or blues background soundtrack.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Higher end gin will taste better. Lower end gin will taste like the needles from a pine tree.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Well, makes sense. It's made from juniper berries, as I recall.

Drank a gin and tonic for the first time a year or so back. Never again, gin.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I can't remember what gin tastes like, but I can't remember because I drank an awful lot of it, so it must have been nice. It was decent quality, mind you.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Re: Gin tastes like sap

Post by fbmf »

AndreiChekov wrote:
Whisky sour, you should know about. 50/50 lemon/whiskey.
You should start with a glass full of ice, and you should shake it before serving.

Game On,
fbmf
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

...It's really more flavored with juniper berries. It's still mostly grain alcohol. That said, I still like it.

There are two schools of thought that I've heard on gin: people who want it to be juniper focused, and people who like more botanicals (roughly, the difference between Bombay and Bombay Sapphire).
If you're the first kind (all juniper, all the time), I recommend Broker's (http://www.brokersgin.com/). It's cheap, British, and you're not likely to find anything better at all, let alone in the same price range. It also has a fancy little hat, so it's easy to spot.
Otherwise, you have a lot more options. My favorites are Bombay Sapphire (generic, and not too pricey), Bluecoat (http://www.bluecoatgin.com/, far and away my favorite, and it looks spiffy too. 'MURICA!), and Hendricks. Hendricks is kind of odd; It's made from cucumbers, which gives it a unique flavor, but it's great in milder martinis and in a few specialty drinks.

Many people like gin with fruit juice. Generally, I think that's waste of both: still good, but less than the sum of the parts. It's probably a better plan with worse gin.

Gin and tonic is a classic. Remember that most tonic water has a crap-tonne of sugar in it. When you move up to boutique tonics and such, that sugar is gone, so the "higher quality" versions have wildly different flavors from what you might expect. (Also note that the origin of gin and tonics was British troops dumping their quinine ration into gin, to make both more palatable. Be skeptical of getting too authentic.) With decent tonic water and some lime, Seagrams makes a perfectly acceptable gin and tonic, and is much cheaper than good gin.

Martinis are the highest and best use for good gin. Generally though, once you're out of the rail, martini quality is determined by vermouth quality, not gin ($15 bottle of vermouth makes more difference than going from Bombay Sapphire to Bluecoat). Someone once expressed to me that Martini and Rossi is the reason that Western Europe likes its martinis dry, and if you try something better, you'll understand why. It's not that M&R is horrible; it's quite good for a well liquor. I like Dolin Dry for most things (their Blanc is good too, but it's too sweet for general use), but YMMV. Noilly Prat has a good reputation that I feel is entirely undeserved.

A quick note on martini glasses - the iconic martini glass (the "up" one) is a relatively recent innovation. Traditionally martinis were served in something much more like slim rocks glasses. So don't feel that you're 'doing it wrong' if you serve them that way.

Maybe this evening I'll talk about recipes and techniques.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Ah, gin and tonic. The perfect law conference drink, because you can pass it off as sparkling water (and look professional with the firm partners) while still getting plastered (the only way to actually enjoy a social event with other lawyers.)

Apparently, Ungava gin is the first actual world-class liquor made in Quebec (we're top-class in beers, like everybody else we do our own shitty, only-good-for-mixed-drinks vodkas, and our wines compare favorably with motor oil.) I haven't tried it yet, mind you, but it's apparently really really good.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

But since we're talking about mixing Gin, I give you the Peppi Late Night:

plus

"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Commandment (of gin) the First: Gin shalt not be drank, unless it be cut with copious amounts of olive juice.
:educate:
PoliteNewb
Duke

Post by PoliteNewb »

My primary use for gin is the Tom Collins, which is one of my preferred drinks.

As for whiskey sours, I only like them with honey bourbon (I find either the Beam or JD variety to be palatable).
Last edited by PoliteNewb on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am judging the philosophies and decisions you have presented in this thread. The ones I have seen look bad, and also appear to be the fruit of a poisonous tree that has produced only madness and will continue to produce only madness.

--AngelFromAnotherPin

believe in one hand and shit in the other and see which ones fills up quicker. it will be the one you are full of, shit.

--Shadzar
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Generally I prefer clear liquors to brown and gin over most else. I use diet tonic water in my G&Ts because I'm a hypocrite and have no taste.

As fectin alluded to, different qualities of gin vary in the degree to which they taste like a car air freshener. If you don't like the pine-sol flavor of cheap gin, either buy something better or add simple syrup and lime juice - and baby, you got a gimlet going.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

"You have to be really careful with gin. Also you have to be a thirty year old female sitting on the steps outside, sulking because nobody likes your shoes." - Dylan Moran.

(He's also quite wise about other drinks. "Tequila isn't so much a drink as a way to get the police around without needing to call them". "Vodka... very dangerous, it sneaks up on you. 'This is rubbish, I can't taste a thing it's fucking water! This is... wh- why are we on a traffic island?")
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

I actually like the pine needle taste. I chew pine needles when I'm bored, or sewing because they is am yummified.

I don't mix my Gin, because I just drink 2 beers first.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Never got a pine taste from gin. Hmm. And gin is really good for a modified Singapore sling (modified by taking out most of the pineapple juice).
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

There is another drink that most people don't know about.
The Seattle Sun
1 12 oz. Pabst Blue Ribbon
1 shot of the cheapest hairspray revolting vodka around.

They cancel out the gross in each other, and make for a cheap drink that gets you wasted and isn't dreadful.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It's sad, so many cocktails (particularly from Drunken Moogle) require some weird drink called Hpnotiq. Apparently without the y, and with a q rather than a c. As far as I can tell, that is not available outside America.

Anyone who has tried it, can you name an acceptable substitute?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

The big deal about Hpnotiq is that it is pricey and blue. The blue you can get with Curacao or by adding blue food coloring to vodka. And I'm sure you can figger your own way to get the pricey.

According to wikipedia the actual deal is just a mix of vodka, cognac and "fruit juices". So you could probably get pretty similar results for half the price by using your own mix of vodka, cognac and blue raspberry kool aid.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Hpnotiq is made in France and totally available throughout Europe in addition to the US. But as Josh says, the main draw is that it's blue and fruity. So Blue Curacao is your go-to replacement. Despite the fact that Curacao is actually from the tropics while Hpnotiq was designed in New York and is produced in France, Hpnotiq has what people would describe as a more "tropical" taste. Hpnotiq is 17% alcohol, and Curacao varies from 15% to 40%, so check your bottle carefully. You may want to water down your curacao with a bit of "tropical punch" or jazz it up a bit with some vodka to get to a comparable alcohol mixture.

-Username17
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Thanks, that seems pretty reasonable. Many pokemon-themed drinks require it. I guess because so many of them can learn Hpnosis.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

AndreiChekov wrote:There is another drink that most people don't know about.
The Seattle Sun
1 12 oz. Pabst Blue Ribbon
1 shot of the cheapest hairspray revolting vodka around.

They cancel out the gross in each other, and make for a cheap drink that gets you wasted and isn't dreadful.
We did that with Red Dog beer and a shot of After Shock (cinnamon liquer... terrible stuff).

It was a lot like drinking cinnamon flavored water.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

I've been throwing Blue Curacao in to my Screwdrivers for years; I didn't even know that it was a thing, I just know that I can suck those down all night.
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
- Robert E. Howard
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

The only time I've ever had gin was mixed with Squirt (grapefruit soft drink, for those of you who've never heard of it). It was okay at best. I had it a few times in a period of a month or two, and I haven't gone back after more than a decade.

Gin never sounds good to me. I almost always drink beer. If I mix, it's almost always whiskey and ginger ale with a slice of lemon.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Frank and Josh are right. Hpnotiq is this generation's Alize, another liquer that was $20 dollars for some reason even though you could whip up an as good or better substitute with some lower shelf stuff and fruit juice.

I don't know what happened to me but i drink tequila like all the time now. Just a steady stream of tequila and whiskey sours.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I mostly drank tequila back when the goal was getting shitfaced, as opposed to enjoying the drinks. So back when I... wasn't enrolled at Uni but rocked up every day anyway. A group of us would wander up to the bar around lunchtime and do a line of tequila shots (with salt and lemon). Pretty sure a bottle of tequila was consumed at my 21st, but that's amongst a great many other things.