What Pathfinder Did Right

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

CatharzGodfoot
King

What Pathfinder Did Right

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

The most noticeable difference between Pathfinder and 3e is the addition of thousands of shitty, pointlessly specific options (e.g. backgrounds & favored class benefits) that a person has to slog through just to create a character. But I was surprised to find some genuine improvements over 3e.

Class skills, for example: All skills are bought at 1 rank per skill point, and class skill bonuses are increased by 3. That gracefully eliminates 3e's multiplication of skills at 1st level and the atrocious accounting for half ranks, both of which could make otherwise identical characters have wildly different numbers of skills. Say what you want about Flight, but the overall mechanics were improved. Also Concentration isn't a skill anymore (though they should have taken that sort of thing a lot farther).

That's the main one. The other things I appreciate are based on flavor alone. The Oracle's curse is a really nice way to introduce the 'cost of magic' without screwing anyone over. You gain an interesting RP hook that masquerades as a disadvantage, like a club foot or being magically bound to keep promises. I also like how the witch finds a use for the familiar; it feels more complete than a tacked-on and largely irrelevant wizard's familiar. Both of these do a lot to carry otherwise uninteresting classes.

I haven't found anything else to recommend it, but beating 3e should be elementary for the folks at Paizo. Are there any other gems---genuine improvements over 3e---hiding in there?
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I do like the expanded options. Though I don't think wizards needed more I genuinely like that they gave the rogue, barbarian, and paladin more little things they could do. I do recognize that the options aren't that good for the most part but I think it was a step in the direction. I also never really like multiclassing or prestige classes so I'd have to say that I do like the idea of Archetypes instead. It has the same problem as the expanded class options though, in that they didn't go far enough (specifically with the non magic classes). I guess it'd be better to say that both of these were half steps in the right direction.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Paladin Smite actually matters now and makes them effective against demons. A properly archetyped monk is on par with the other melee classes. Armor types are a bit more balanced now.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Seerow
Duke

Post by Seerow »

TiaC wrote:Paladin Smite actually matters now and makes them effective against demons. A properly archetyped monk is on par with the other melee classes. Armor types are a bit more balanced now.
I'm curious, how did they balance armor types to make heavier armor any more desirable?
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Damage from falling objects is a lot more sane and less potentially abusable in Pathfinder.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Seerow wrote:
TiaC wrote:Paladin Smite actually matters now and makes them effective against demons. A properly archetyped monk is on par with the other melee classes. Armor types are a bit more balanced now.
I'm curious, how did they balance armor types to make heavier armor any more desirable?
Oh, it's a small change, but medium and heavy armors give 1 more AC each. I didn't say they are truly balanced, but baby steps. Also, you still need the heavier proficiency to wear mithral armor.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Sorcerers being something other than retarded Wizards. Paladins being something other than extra-retarded Fighters. The Oracle. The Alchemist.

Shapeshifting is a lot saner.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Allowing the rules to be readily available for free, even a bunch from 3rd party sources. Big step in the right direction.
Last edited by MGuy on Sun May 11, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Pathfinder has the Annihilator. Can't go wrong with a gargantuan scorpion robot wielding dual chain guns and a huge frikkin laser. Yes, I am easily impressed, why do you ask?
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I could have sworn that there was a thread on this subject a while back. I'll keep looking...
Scrivener
Journeyman

Post by Scrivener »

Grapple shutting down casting is nice. You can't dim door out of a grapple without a concentration check.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Having enough flavors of caster that you can play pretty much any character concept without feeling too small in the pants. This makes up for the increased caster/noncaster discrepancy.

Having all their material available for free.

The art direction in their books.

Archetypes to an extent.

Shapeshifting to an extent.

The Demon Lords are pretty interesting.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Smeelbo
Apprentice

Post by Smeelbo »

Bards are much more playable, especially at the levels I actually play.
First, because maintaining a Bard Song takes a free action, allowing the Bard to act in combat and keep up the Happy Happy Joy Joy song.
Second, because of the feat Spell Song, which allows the bard to disguise his spell casting as part of his performance. So now the Bard can do something no other caster can--cast spells, like Charm Person and Hypnotism, right in front of a bunch of people and they will have no clue that spells are being cast.

Paizo is more respectful of my back pack and pocket book. They only produce four hard covers a year, and most of these I can easily ignore. Pretty much all I need to carry when I play is the Core Rulebook and the Bestiary[/i]. Most of what they produce is support for GMs, adventures, who are going to buy most of the books any way.

Regardless of the overall quality of the rules, it is easier to find GMs, campaigns, and players for Pathfinder than any other RPG.

And lastly, Pathfinder customers are far more reliable customers than D&D. While the D&D Meet Up players were exchanging PDF's here in the store, whining about not enabling them via Wi-Fi, and not buying books and accessories, PF customers buy sufficient books to justify the shelf space.

I am not looking forward to 5E.

Smeelbo
Last edited by Smeelbo on Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyberzombie
Knight-Baron

Post by Cyberzombie »

Mask_De_H wrote: Having all their material available for free.
This without a doubt. The number one reason pathfinder is so popular is that you can just point people to the fully stocked SRD and not have to worry about passing around books at all. So long as you've got a laptop, iPad or even a smartphone, you can pretty much have access to the rules both between game sessions and during the game.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

The pfsrd is awesome. The guys maintaining it even add details the pf devs missed such as how burrowing works, and some info in the jump skill that pf itself never mentions (i.e. how high you go when jumping horizontally), etc.

Also filters. Sorting monsters by CR, type, etc. is incredibly handy.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

As mentioned in earlier reviews here, the skill system is a net gain: syncretized skills, simpler math.
K
King

Post by K »

Sorcerers and PDFs.

Art direction is also better. It's like someone knows that DeviantArt exists or something.
K
King

Post by K »

Dogbert wrote:As mentioned in earlier reviews here, the skill system is a net gain: syncretized skills, simpler math.
It's still a bad system, so it's like adding salad dressing to a turd.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I finally found what I was looking for, starting here (but digressing away from the question pretty quickly):
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=161582#161582

From that thread:
hogarth wrote:I like the idea that a 1st-level wizard can zap with minor magic all day instead of having to fall back on using a crossbow.

I like the idea (if maybe not the practice) of having a monk's flurry of blows work the same way as Two-Weapon Fighting.

I like eliminating the d4 for hit points and increasing the rogue's hit die to d8.

I like that polymorph effects involve less cherry-picking from the Monster Manual, and yet they aren't totally generic (e.g. "pick one ability from column A and one from column B").

I like the idea of eliminating the penalty for buying cross-class skill ranks.

I like the idea of barbarian rage powers and rogue talents, giving those two classes a bit of customisability.

I'm sure I can think of some more ideas I like, given enough time.

EDIT: The idea of sorcerer bloodlines (if not the execution), as above.
hogarth wrote:Oh, I thought of one more thing: getting rid of XP loss was a good idea.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

K wrote:
Dogbert wrote:As mentioned in earlier reviews here, the skill system is a net gain: syncretized skills, simpler math.
It's still a bad system, so it's like adding salad dressing to a turd.
That's what we're talking about here: how the turd has been polished.

I didn't mention this in the first post, but I agree: The best part is definitely D20PFSRD.
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Consistent Art by wayne reynolds

He's not my favorite, but it helps to create a distinct look for the series.
Neon Sequitur
Apprentice

Post by Neon Sequitur »

The fact that the Inquisitor class exists makes it all better for me.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

The new Inquisitor class or the original writeup? I thought it looked great when they originally pitched it but the final version looks extremely bland and uninteresting to me.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

deanruel87 wrote:The new Inquisitor class or the original writeup? I thought it looked great when they originally pitched it but the final version looks extremely bland and uninteresting to me.
How do they differ? I've only seen the current class and it strikes me as the kind of limitation and specialization a cleric should've had to begin with.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Oh, my mistake. I was conflating the Inquisitor and the Investigator. The Investigator is a new class they came out with in the same pack as the Arcanist and Brawler. It started out looking fantastic and then they debuffed it into bland pointlessness. The Inquisitor is an ok class, though in the one campaign I played in where someone played one it did struggle to keep up in the 10+ level range.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.