OSSR: ACKS Player's Companion

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Blicero
Duke

OSSR: ACKS Player's Companion

Post by Blicero »

Remember that time a few months back when I said I would review the ACKS Player’s Companion? Well I sort of understand Groebner bases now, so let’s return to the wonders of Autarch Publishing and learn about Adventurer Conqueror King(!!!).

OSSR: Adventurer Conquerer King: Player’s Companion
Kind of an odd picture for the cover, honestly.
The year was 2013. Autarch had just released their B/X retroclone thingy, Adventurer Conqueror King. A few hundred people had supported its Kickstarter, making it wildly popular by the standards of the OSR. Obviously, Autarch now needed to start pumping out splatbooks. The first splatbook they chose to put out was, perhaps surprisingly, a player-friendly one. The Player’s Companion has a shittonne of new classes, as well as (shitty) rules for creating your own classes and extensions of the magical research stuff from the main book.

The research rules gives additional depth to the spellcaster endgame. They take up almost a third of this book. Guess how many pages are dedicated to rules for characters who don’t cast spells? Go ahead now, don’t be shy. If your guess was somewhere between “fuck” and “all”, congratulations. As a prize, you’re allowed to go suck a wizard’s cock. Go you.

So let’s get into this review. Up first, we have new classes.

Ch 1: New Classes

As with the core book, the art in this chapter is really badass.
Before I start criticizing everything, Autarch should be commended for the new face-stabbing classes. There is not much mechanically that that distinguishes their Fighter from their Paladin. But thematically, their Paladin is much deeper and more interesting. When the game devolves into MTP, as it will, then the Paladin will probably be allowed to contribute more. So bully for you, Autarch.

So here’s the classes.
  1. Anti-Paladin: Blahblah standard dark knight character. They’re good at becoming undead, which is cool. They don’t tank as well as fighters do, since they only get d6 HD, but this makes them level up faster. (Recall, though, that the ACKS fighter only gets 1d8 HD.) The title of a 1st level Blackguard is “Miscreant”, which puts me in mind more of a rebellious child than a servant of the dark gods, but whatever.
  2. Barbarian: Don’t actually get a Rage ability, oddly enough. They choose whether to be good at climbing, running, or precise shooting, which also affects what weapons they’re allowed to use.
  3. Dwarven Delver: Gimped dwarf-only rogue. They can’t pick locks, they can only find (but not disable) traps, and they take way longer to level up. In return, they get the standard dwarven abilities, and they have a 60% chance of remembering the path they took while navigating underground. Pass.
  4. Dwarven Fury: Dwarven berserkers that are actually pretty cool. Instead of wearing armor, they have magical runes that give them damage reduction and slightly subpar AC bonuses. The damage reduction works per die of damage taken, making it relevant. They do get rage, but they can’t retreat while raging.
  5. Dwarven Machinist: Steampunk ahoy! Lovely concept, terrible execution. Machinists get to design and create automata minions, but the guidelines for these minions are really really bare. Making anything other than a transport or an attack spammer is basically Mother May I with the MC. Automata are also crazy expensive at low levels: a basic 2 HD minion that can fly costs 9k gp. My suspicions are that, at low and mid levels, the Machinist does very little machining and is really just a shitty rogue. They might be more fun at high levels, I don’t know. Pass.
  6. Elven Courtier: An Elven bard- or troubadour-esque class. They get music and diplomacy stuff, level up slowly, and cast spells as wizards of half their level.
  7. Elven Enchanter: Elven mage who is particularly good at charms and illusions. Their leveling rate is only slightly slower than that of human mages, so they might be worthwhile.
  8. Elven Ranger: The Legolas class. They’re described as being the best archers in the world. Hilariously, there is no mechanical justification for this claim.
  9. Gnomish Trickster: Thief/illusionist hybrid. Kind of boring.
  10. Mystic: Monk. Another surprisingly cool class. They attack as fighters (making them relevant sword-dudes), but they have kind of shitty AC. At 4th level, they can start using a nonmagical version of the divination spell. The fluff for this ability is clearly stolen from the Bakker’s Dunyain, which I approve of. They can also charm people that they meet. By the standards of an ACKS class, the Mystic is pretty damn neat, with a decent mix of combat and noncombat abilities. The downside is that WIS, DEX, CON, and CHA are all your prime requisites, so you’ll probably level pretty slowly.
  11. Nobiran Wonderworker: Mystic Theurge. They level up really slowly, but they get a lot of spells per day. Since we’re not in the 3.x paradigm where you mostly fight level-appropriate encounters and thus need level-appropriate abilities, this might be a fair trade. You’re never going to get a chance to play this class though, since every one of your abilities scores need to be at least 11.
  12. Paladin: Holy warrior. Unsurprisingly, it feels like they took the anti-paladin class and multiplied everything by -1.
  13. Priestess: You’re a cleric who has exchanged your fighting ability for a shit-tonne more spells per day and some vaguely defined but probably annoying roleplaying strictures.
  14. Shaman: Druid-type class. You get divine spellcasting, an animal companion of a specific type, and eventually the ability to turn into an animal of the same type as your companion. The different animal forms don’t even try to be balanced. You could have a rat as your companion, or you could have a motherfucking bear.
  15. Thrassian Gladiator: In ACKS-land, Thrassians are badass lizard men. They fight better than fighters, and they also get nasty claws and innate natural armor. Pretty neat.
  16. Venturer: A class dedicated to being a merchant. You eventually get some spells, but you’re mostly kind of a shitty thief. This seems like maybe a decent guy to have around as a hireling, but I can’t imagine many players wanting to use it.
  17. Warlock: Evillllllllll wizard! Your spellcasting is more limited, but you also get to cast 3.5’s bestow curse on people, turn undead, summon baddies, and use a really really vague version of alter self. Also, at 14th level (which, recall, is the last level in the game), you are now able to learn cause disease, speak with dead, cause serious wounds, and finger of death. You don’t learn these spells automatically or anything, so you still have to go out and find scrolls or whatever. I don’t get what the meaning behind this ability is at all.
  18. Witch: There are differences between this class and the Priestess class, but they are exceedingly minor.
  19. Zaharan Ruinguard: The “I want to be Elric” class. An fun-looking evil-themed gish.
Overall, these classes make the player’s side of ACKS a lot of more interesting. Some of them are shit, but enough are not to make this chapter worthwhile.

Ch 2: Class Templates

I’m also covering this chapter, because it’s short. Here we just get a bunch of tables that let you generate 1st level characters of any class really quickly. Each class gets 8 templates. Each template consists of a proficiency and some gear, all of which are thematically coherent. The templates ascend in order from poor to affluent. This is so that, when you’re making your character, you can roll for a template instead of rolling for your starting wealth. The templates don’t go beyond 1st level, because that would be too useful.

All together, the templates cover 20 pages, which is a substantive bit of pagecount for something that will probably see minimal use after the first few sessions of a game.

Next up: Custom class creation; Or, how to fail badly at a difficult task
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Re: OSSR: ACKS Player's Companion

Post by TiaC »

Blicero wrote:The title of a 1st level Blackguard is “Miscreant”, which puts me in mind more of a rebellious child than a servant of the dark gods, but whatever.
They're using the original definition of the word. It used to mean non-beliver, which just shows that this is another book to conflate godly with good despite the existence of evil gods.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

TiaC wrote: They're using the original definition of the word. It used to mean non-beliver, which just shows that this is another book to conflate godly with good despite the existence of evil gods.
Thank you, that is actually pretty interesting. It is another reminder that most questions can be answered by consulting the OED.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

Blicero wrote:Next up: Custom class creation; Or, how to fail badly at a difficult task
I'm really looking forward to hearing someone else's thoughts on this. I like that they attempted it, but my reading of it left me feeling that they really didn't understand how options varied in power, and just assumed classes are balanced. For instance, going from a d4 to a d8 hitdie is worth as many points as Cleric casting.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Juton wrote: I'm really looking forward to hearing someone else's thoughts on this. I like that they attempted it, but my reading of it left me feeling that they really didn't understand how options varied in power, and just assumed classes are balanced. For instance, going from a d4 to a d8 hitdie is worth as many points as Cleric casting.
ACKS's audience is people who played AD&D and older, so they're sticking with that. Though it would be interesting to "TOME-ify" a retro-clone. Balance issues aside ACKS hits a nice ratio of "quick to generate" and "customizability" with their PC's.

It sounds like all of these new classes would be doable with the core ACKS rulebook if you just allowed AD&D style multiclasses, and maybe added in some new proficiencies.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Ch 3: Custom Classes

This chapter contains rules that let you build your own classes. They are not good. In writing this chapter, Autarch did not set themselves up for an easy job. But that doesn't excuse them from turning out a shitty endproduct.

Remember that bit in the Dungeonomicon where F&K are all like “You know how some people think that ‘Suckiness now, awesomeness later’ is a valid design paradigm? Those people are full of shit.” Well Autarch totally subscribes to the validity of “suckiness now, awesomeness later”. The consequences of this are about as bad as you would expect. This system is full of hidden tradeoffs and turning points. If you know what level range your campaign is likely to cover, you can do a bunch of math and find out the optimal way to build your character. Which is really clearly a Bad Thing.

Autarch also has the problem that their system has to be able to reproduce the standard D&D classes. Which were not created from any sort of formal system at all! Autarch could have just said, “Screw the standard classes, here’s a system that spits out similarly designed classes, but isn’t completely made up.” They did not do this because lol legacyreasons.

To their credit, they’re kind of aware that they’re fighting a losing battle.They say at the beginning of this chapter “It’s probably possible to break this system. Please don’t.” Since this is a retroclone, they phrase this appeal to sanity as an extension the absoluteness of the MC’s authority. But it might be the thought that counts.

Human Classes

The basic idea of class creation (for humans) is that you have 4 build points to distribute between the categories of HD, Fighting, Thievery, Divine, and Arcane. The choices in how you distribute your points constructs your XP leveling table. Fighters are HD 2, Fighting 2; Clerics are HD 1, Fighting 1, Divine 2; Thieves are Fighting 1, Thievery 3; Mages are Arcane 4. It gets way more complicated than that, because you’re also allowed to make a series of tradeoffs and switches where you exchange standard class features for special abilities through various schemes that are almost all poorly designed.

So you might notice that “HD” and “Arcane” are not remotely equivalent in terms of game relevance. Autarch does not seem to notice this, meaning that the hit dice category is super borked. The clearly insane extreme is spending all four of your build points on HD. This would give you…d12 HD, and literally nothing else. Best class evar, amirite? In general, HD costs are way over-valued. The build point you could use to go from d6 HD to d8 HD could instead give you spellcasting as a cleric of 1/3 your level. That’s not great, but it’s probably worth 1 hp per level.

The number of points you spend on Fighting determines what weapons and armor you are allowed to use. But here you also get a bunch of random tradeoffs that are not even remotely balanced. For example, suppose that you know how to fight with a shield, and you also know how to fight with two-handed weapons. You could give up the ability to fight with two-handed weapons to gain the ability to turn undead as a cleric of half your level. Or suppose that you are able to use all weapons. Then you could give up the ability to use everything besides swords and missile weapons, and, in exchange for a permanent +1 bonus to your AC that stacks with armor. Once again, you’re encouraged to minimax your character in weird, nonorganic ways.

Thievery works in a similar way. Each point you spend in Thievery gives you more Thief skills. But you can trade out thief skills for other powers, like Commanding undead and shit. This assumes that all Thief skills are equally relevant, which is probably not the case. (Consider something like Read Languages or Pick Pockets compared to something like Remove Traps or Backstab.) You can also give up a single skill in exchange for two powers on the condition that those two new powers are not immediately available. Instead, they unlock at later levels. Again, this is a bad idea, because not every game starts at 1st level, and not every game goes until 14th level. If you wanted, you could make a class that got almost nothing for levels 1-4, and then started rocking.

Oh, and all of these choices are also determining your XP per level. So classes with Arcane 3, HD 1 level more slowly than classes with Divine 4 or classes with Fighting 2, Thievery 2.

Demihuman Classes

Demihuman classes work in basically the same way. The difference is that each demihuman class is also assigned a number of demihuman build points between 0 and 4 that give you additional stuff. But the more demihuman build points a class has, the lower its maximum level is. If you don’t take any extra demihuman build points, then your max level is 13. But if you take all 4 demihuman build points, then your max level is 8. Taking more demihuman build points also slows your leveling rate, but not significantly. So if you know you’re doing a low-level game, you can totally go all out with the extra goodies.

Each race has a given set of bonuses and stuff. Oddly, there are neither guidelines nor advice for creating your own races. The reasoning for this is probably that the race stuff is totally arbitrary. The included races are dwarves, elves, gnomes, nobirans (basically aasimar), thrassians (the cool lizard dudes), and zaharans (evil sorcery people).
  1. Dwarves: Just being a dwarf makes you crazy badass, since you get +3 or +4 to all of your saves, in addition to some other random stuff. Your demihuman build points just let you start with extra proficiencies, which is boring.
  2. Elves: Elven wizards are totally the best. For example, an Arcane 4/Elf 4 gets twice as many spells per day as a human wizard of the same level, but you level up crazy slowly. You could do something more reasonable like Arcane 4/Elf 1 and increase your spells per day by 33% while slightly affecting your leveling rate.
  3. Gnomes Gnome racial abilities make you better at illusioning and thieving. Nothing super exciting.
  4. Nobirans Nobirans have the special ability of having their maximum level raised by 1. They’re also better at divine spellcasting.
  5. Thrassian The Thrassian racial abilities are pretty neat. Spending more racial build points makes you more and more monstrous. Thrassian 4’s can fly, have bites that do a base of 1d10-1 damage, and get +5 to AC from scales. They level hella slowly, though.
  6. Zaharans Zaharans are good at being mages. They’re also particularly suited to becoming undead.
Finally, we have a list of all the special abilities classes can have. A bunch of these are pretty useless (like knowing extra languages). But a couple are pretty useful. I’m going to take a moment and rant more about the tradeoff mechanism some more. As mentioned earlier, ACKS lets you give up a single immediately available power in exchange for powers that get unlocked as you level up. For example, you could trade a single power available at 1st level for a power you unlock at level 2 and a power you unlock at level 12. Or you could trade two powers at 1st level for a power at level 3, a power at level 5, and a power at level 7. This is really really really stupid design. That is all.

So that’s the chapter. It has the major issue that the class-creation system can very easily produce wildly divergent results. If you’re the MC and you’re creating a bunch of classes for your campaign, I guess that’s okay. But if you just hand this chapter to your players and tell them to make their characters, I feel like bad things will happen. And that seems like a huge shame, because a decent system like this could make ACKS a lot more player friendly than it normally is.

Up next: Spells; or, More Spellcaster Goodies
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

OgreBattle wrote: It sounds like all of these new classes would be doable with the core ACKS rulebook if you just allowed AD&D style multiclasses, and maybe added in some new proficiencies.
For the most part, yeah. The one major exception is the dwarven machinist, which has its own new (and totally incomplete) subsystem. The warlock, priestess, and witch also don't really fit the pattern of "existing class plus a few extra powers" either.
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

The core problem with ACKS is its need to conform to Basic D&D. I think Alex Macris could probably (60% shot) come up with a better game if he wasn't making an alternate universe AD&D, but would enough people want to play it? ACKS gained an audience by being an OSR game that was not a pure retroclone.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I think reviews of these Old School Revival games should be OSRRs instead of OSSRs. :D
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

ETortoise wrote:The core problem with ACKS is its need to conform to Basic D&D. I think Alex Macris could probably (60% shot) come up with a better game if he wasn't making an alternate universe AD&D, but would enough people want to play it? ACKS gained an audience by being an OSR game that was not a pure retroclone.
Simple changes would be...
*d20+attack bonus vs Defense Number instead of that not-THAC0 he has
*Saves consolidated down to perhaps 3 kinds
*d20+skill bonus vs DC for skills

and with that you have a better game than D&DN playtests. Further work on the classes would take time.