Let's Play Fighting Fantasy #5: City of Thieves

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What FF should we Let's Play next?

#2: Citadel of Chaos
55%
#7: Island of the Lizard King
45%

Total votes: 11

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

On a side note, in the Advanced Fighting Fantasy attempt to turn the gamebook system into a TTRPG, one of the adventures was set in Blacksand, and it was suggested that if one of the players had completed City of Thieves, they could import their character from that book into the adventure. I don't remember any particular benefits they got, but they were marked with a very recognizable tattoo and wanted for killing those troll guards.

Take the unicorn shield.

Also, why are we wandering around the end boss zone with less than max health while we have healing items? Pound down that jerky, man.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

MATCHING UNICORN SHIELD
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

This shield was taken from a goodly knight who died at the hand of Zanbar Bone. It was forged with good magic. Add 1 SKILL point. You walk over to the spiral staircase with your new shield and climb to the floor above.

(So we carry two shields and a sword. Dirk probably holds one of the three in his mouth. Or his ass.)

Looking up, you see that the staircase goes all the way up to the top of the tower. You stop off at the first floor and walk along the landing to a door. The door opens into a large room which contains a comfortable, made-up bed.

Do you wish to lock the door and go to sleep for the night or explore the tower further?

(This is probably the most ridiculous choice ever.)

Dirk von Facestabber III
SKILL: 12/12
STAMINA: 24/24
LUCK: 12/12
Equipment: Broadsword, Chainmail Coat, Magnificent Shield (+1 Attack,) Unicorn Shield
Potions: None
Provisions: 4 meals
Keys: None
Misc: Climbing Rope, Butcher's Meat Hook, Iron Spike, Lantern, Clove of Garlic, Old Knucklebones, Candles (3,) Mirror, Golden Owl of Darkvision
Quest Items: Unicorn Tattoo, Lotus Flower, Silver Arrow, Hag's Hair, Black Pearls (6)
Gold Pieces: 34
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Fall asleep, wake up dead. Next time we'll prepare Rope Trick.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Darth Rabbitt wrote: (So we carry two shields and a sword. Dirk probably holds one of the three in his mouth. Or his ass.)[/b]
Maybe we turned it into a claw-shield

.... falling asleep sounds awesome though... I vote against it.

But I also want to know what would happen if we decided to just take a nap after stabbing the doorman. Maybe when the adventure is completed just go back to show what result would have happened.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Those were votes to not sleep in the bed, right?)

You walk quietly back to the staircase and climb up to the second floor. Again there is a door at the end of the landing.

Do you wish to open the door or climb up to the third floor?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Open Door
Endovior
Knight-Baron

Post by Endovior »

Yeah, let's keep on with the looting of the place.
FrankTrollman wrote:We had a history and maps and fucking civilization, and there were countries and cities and kingdoms. But then the spell plague came and fucked up the landscape and now there are mountains where there didn't used to be and dragons with boobs and no one has the slightest idea of what's going on. And now there are like monsters everywhere and shit.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You walk into a lavishly furnished room containing objets d'art and curios. Standing before you is a young woman dressed in a black silk gown. She has long black hair and bright red lips. She smiles and motions you to sit down in one of the armchairs. You refuse to sit down, only too aware that she is one of Zanbar Bone's servants. She walks towards you open-armed as though she is about to embrace you, and when she smiles again you see two fang-like teeth which can only belong to a Vampire. (We have some Garlic.)

A horrified look spreads across the Vampire's face when she sees the clove of garlic in your hand. She retreats into a corner of the room trying to escape the pungent smell, which negates her blood-sucking powers. You back out of the room taking the key to the door with you, and lock it from the outside. You then run over to the staircase and climb the stairs to the next floor.

(What, we can't stake her while she's cowering?)

You climb up to the third floor and see another door at the end of the landing.

Do you wish to open the door or climb to the next floor?

Dirk von Facestabber III
Equipment: Broadsword, Chainmail Coat, Magnificent Shield (+1 Attack,) Unicorn Shield
Keys: Tower Key
Misc: Climbing Rope, Butcher's Meat Hook, Iron Spike, Lantern, Clove of Garlic, Old Knucklebones, Candles (3,) Mirror, Golden Owl of Darkvision
Quest Items: Unicorn Tattoo, Lotus Flower, Silver Arrow, Hag's Hair, Black Pearls (6)
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Door!
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Also Door!
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Darth Rabbitt wrote: (What, we can't stake her while she's cowering?)
I'd stake her with my wood.

Maybe there is a medusa behind the next door to mirror, and we're just going to be running into the evil wizard's evil girlfriends.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Despite the light from the burning lanterns on the landing, you are unable to see anything inside the room; it is completely black. (We have a golden owl.)

Holding the golden owl in your hand, you are able to see into the pitch-black room. Just in time, you see the trip-wire across the doorway at your feet and the large crossbow pointing at you on the opposite wall. There is nothing else in the room. You decide to walk back to the staircase to climb up to the next floor.

On the next floor there are two doors adjacent to one another on the landing. One is painted white and the other black. Suddenly a voice calls out from nowhere, saying, "Oh foolish adventurer, why do you even consider it a remote possibility that you can defeat me, the almighty Zanbar Bone? I am following your every move, but you do not know where I am. Ha! Ha! Ha!" Will you:

Open the white door?
Open the black door?
Carry on up the stairs?

(Well, we've literally avoided every trap that Zanbar Bone has, defeated all of his minions on each floor, and have maxed out stats and the best gear, so I think our chances of defeating him are pretty damn good.)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Darth Rabbitt wrote: (Well, we've literally avoided every trap that Zanbar Bone has, defeated all of his minions on each floor, and have maxed out stats and the best gear, so I think our chances of defeating him are pretty damn good.)
The only thing that can best us is a magic candle.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

The black door.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You open the door and enter a room which is adorned with macabre objects and paintings. A black cat is sitting in front of a table covered in black cloth. Two black candles are burning on either side of a mirror on the far wall. On the table lies an open chest containing a gold skull. Will you:

Walk over to the chest?
Close the door and open the white door (if you have not done so already?)
Close the door and walk back to the staircase to climb up to the next floor?

(So the white door doesn't kill us and we can apparently go back to this room afterwards. I think we should do exactly that; at best it will prove essential to entering this room and at worst we can come back here intact. But I digress, it's your choice, not mine.)
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

EDIT: Lets do the white door actually.
Last edited by Dr_Noface on Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Open White Door
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

White door.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You enter a room which is dark and very cold. The walls and floor are made of rough stone and the room is empty except for a decorated sarcophagus. There is a strong musty smell in the air.

Do you wish to open the sarcophagus or walk outside again?

(I would imagine that Dirk isn't afraid of no mummies.)
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Except for his actual mother, of course.

Open the sarcophagus!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You lift the lid of the sarcophagus and see a human body completely encased in bandages. The light, although dim, has disturbed the sleep of a MUMMY, and it sits up, turning its head from side to side. It senses where you are and starts to climb out of its sarcophagus. It walks towards you with its arms extended. If you have a lantern (we do,) you may throw it at the Mummy.

The Lantern breaks on impact with the Mummy and covers it with burning oil. Flames spread quickly along the dry bandages and the Mummy is soon consumed by fire.

Do you wish to inspect the sarcophagus or leave the room immediately?

(We've burned its punk ass, are we going to take its stuff now?)

Dirk von Facestabber III
Misc: Climbing Rope, Butcher's Meat Hook, Iron Spike, Clove of Garlic, Old Knucklebones, Candles (3,) Mirror, Golden Owl of Darkvision
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Obviously you inspect the contents.

-Username17
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The sarcophagus contains a gold ring which has an eye etched into its tip. You have found the long-lost Ring of the Golden Eye, fabled for its ability to allow its wearer to find illusions. Add 2 LUCK points and leave the room.

Outside the landing you may either enter the black door or walk back to the stairs to climb up to the next floor.

Dirk von Facestabber III
Misc: Climbing Rope, Butcher's Meat Hook, Iron Spike, Clove of Garlic, Old Knucklebones, Candles (3,) Mirror, Golden Owl of Darkvision, Ring of the Golden Eye
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Take the other door, walk over to chest. Stab as necessary, then loot.