So, Magic the Gathering

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Mistborn
Duke

So, Magic the Gathering

Post by Mistborn »

So what does the Den think about MTG. I've always been a fan of MTG especially the new Modern format. (I actually started playing with Mirroden
Block)

One thing I've thought about is how the game has evolved over time. It's not like they've straight power creeped it. It's more of a power shuffle. Some elements especially creatures have grown in power while others like mana acceleration or card drawing have been dialed back. Could this model possibly word for TTRPGs hand out power creep but for the splats/arcatypes that are weak while making sure not to buff the splats that are alredy the best. (Of course in TTRPGs stuff never rotates out so the stuff in you first book that turned out to be too good never goes away.)
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

In general I approve. It's been a while since I really played due to, alternately, lack of time or money (or both at times), but good game.

However... Mirrodin was fucking terrible. Affinity for Artifacts, in a block shit full of artifacts, commonly on Artifacts, was so fucking broken that it dramatically shrunk the metagame. There were basically two kinds of decks were fielded in Mirrodin: 1) Affinity, and 2) Decks made by people who couldn't afford to build Affinity decks.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Magic is an incredibly well designed game, because it's actually more of a game framework that they iteratively redesign over time. There's a lot of great design principles that it uses, most of which are completely inapplicable to RPGs.

The big lesson, of course, is that if your game has more players than everyone else, and you can keep those players, then you win. Because when people have to move, if their choice is "teach new people the game I like, or quit" many choose "quit". But when the choice is "keep playing the same game, with new people, or quit" most will keep on trucking. Nothing succeeds like success, and that is super hardcore true for games.
Last edited by Whatever on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Prak_Anima wrote:However... Mirrodin was fucking terrible. Affinity for Artifacts, in a block shit full of artifacts, commonly on Artifacts, was so fucking broken that it dramatically shrunk the metagame. There were basically two kinds of decks were fielded in Mirrodin: 1) Affinity, and 2) Decks made by people who couldn't afford to build Affinity decks.
Affinity was opressive as hell on the Metagame but I don't remember it being all that expensive to build. I don't think I payed more that $80 for my entire deck unlike now where you just arn't competing in standard without sleeving up $20-30 Mythics.
Shatner
Knight-Baron

Post by Shatner »

There's a part of me that can't shake an inordinate fondness for MtG. It's probably nostalgia, but regardless of the reason, I've never been able to bring myself to sell off or donate my box full of cards, even though I haven't played with or even looked at them in years.

I stopped paying serious attention to MtG around the time of Kamigawa, which also coincides with when I started shaking my stick at the new sets of cards like an old man demanding attachable items, double-strike, etc. get the heck out of my game lawn. I haven't bothered much with deck-building or CCGs since, although Netrunner seems like a strong contender to reverse that trend; that game is pretty damn awesome and I quite prefer the "pay $15 for maximum copies of every card in the newest expansion" method that they use to MtG's "just keep playing the booster pack slot machine until you get what you need, mwahahahaha!".

Mechanically, I think MtG is really neat and it has the side benefit of generating a lot of really interesting fantasy settings, even if some of the mechanics introduced in those settings have been a bit much. Plus, it's one of those cultural touchstones; if a person in a nerdy conversation doesn't know MtG terminology, it can really slow things down as everyone else tries to unpack all the jargon they were using to describe the latest Fantasy Flight Games box they're drooling over.
Last edited by Shatner on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I like it, but it just took too much effort to keep up with. It's not even the cost that did it, it was the release frequency. I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if I played it more often, but I was never all that much for socializing, so I generally only played it at summer camp or whatever. So my decks would literally go obsolete before my tenth game with them.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

name_here wrote:I like it, but it just took too much effort to keep up with. It's not even the cost that did it, it was the release frequency. I guess it wouldn't have been so bad if I played it more often, but I was never all that much for socializing, so I generally only played it at summer camp or whatever. So my decks would literally go obsolete before my tenth game with them.
What I do now is play Modern games with magic online it's an eternal format so it never rotates and their are always players online. I actually recomend playing Affinity since it think that's the least expensive deck to build these days now that fetchlands have skyrocketed in price.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

I liked MtG. Then along came MaRo with his pants-on-head retarded 'creatures have to be at the centre of every deck' philosophy. Then they shipped a bunch of former 4rry edition designers over to MtG as a last-chancer division. Then they made Innistrad, which was the last straw. Now, I basically take a glance at it occasionally - and I always get reminded of how much less interesting everything's become.
Everything I learned about DnD, I learned from Frank Trollman.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
Frank Trollman wrote:Giving someone a mouth full of cock is a standard action.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Lord Mistborn wrote:
Prak_Anima wrote:However... Mirrodin was fucking terrible. Affinity for Artifacts, in a block shit full of artifacts, commonly on Artifacts, was so fucking broken that it dramatically shrunk the metagame. There were basically two kinds of decks were fielded in Mirrodin: 1) Affinity, and 2) Decks made by people who couldn't afford to build Affinity decks.
Affinity was opressive as hell on the Metagame but I don't remember it being all that expensive to build. I don't think I payed more that $80 for my entire deck unlike now where you just arn't competing in standard without sleeving up $20-30 Mythics.
I'm sorry, I can think of better uses for $80 than a magic deck list I got off the internet. And I don't even know any whores. ...well, not any that are likely to do anything for $80.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I like the game, but I haven't played since after the Invasion block.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

As I may have mentioned here before, I was apparently the 5th person in Portland to buy a deck, and played for a very short while in high school before trading my whole set of cards for a bowl of fried rice. I've always had a soft spot for the art and mythology of MtG in the years since.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I've liked Magic for years. I think the first thing I bought was a revised deck, for which I literally opened a piggy bank and scrounged pennies, so there's that.

I got a job because of L5R though (very indirectly, but also literally), and that's also what I have the giant tub full of, so it's hard to be too impressed with Magic. Also, L5R had an amazing metagame and a much better community.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

It's the most REFINED Table Top Game on the planet

The amount of combined man hours put in is unparalleled.
The designers also write nice articles about their reasoning behind decisions.

And they are successful so it shows that their theory produces results.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

OgreBattle wrote:It's the most REFINED Table Top Game on the planet

The amount of combined man hours put in is unparalleled.
The designers also write nice articles about their reasoning behind decisions.

And they are successful so it shows that their theory produces results.
Except half the time, their reasoning (especially nowadays) is horseshit, and the reason MtG is so popular is because its current crowd are basically the equivalent of 4rries. Given who they have working on the stuff, I'm hardly surprised, however.

In terms of 'refinement', they still let crap like Caw-Blade stand for far longer than it should have, and released a block recently that's so shitty, Kamigawa has competition. Which is saying something, as the only set worse than 'gawa was Homelands, and it was so legendarily shitty, it got moved out of its own block.
Kaelik wrote:You are so full of Strawmen that I can only assume you actually shit actual straw.
souran wrote:...uber, nerd-rage-inducing, minutia-devoted, pointless blithering shit.
Schwarzkopf wrote:The Den, your one-stop shop for in-depth analysis of Dungeons & Dragons and distressingly credible threats of oral rape.
DSM wrote:Apparently, The GM's Going To Punch You in Your Goddamned Face edition of D&D is getting more traction than I expected. Well, it beats playing 4th. Probably 5th, too.
PoliteNewb wrote:If size means anything, it's what position you have to get in to give a BJ.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Yeah, Magic plays really well because there's a lot of stuff and cool pictures. Actual tournament play is bad... I think I stopped paying attention when I went to a tourney and 80% of the decks were B/U human. Reminds me of yugioh from ye olden days, except prettier and it has EDH.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

...You Lost Me wrote:I think I stopped paying attention when I went to a tourney and 80% of the decks were B/U human.
Well there is basically no point at which standard has not been dominated by some anoying deck the card pool is so small that one deck or archatype often has disproportionately better cards.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I was in it at revised in middle school (4th Ed.), and left when there was nobody left to fucking play (somewhere around the end of the Urza block but before Mirrodin? Gets a little hazy), then back in it for a brief stint with Kamigawa and Cold Snap when there were people to play at university, then out again.

I really enjoyed Magic. I had my little obsession with the Brothers War before MtG shat on it, and I liked Ice Age and Mirage because they offered something different, and I was never a truly competitive player on any possible fucking level, but that was fine. I could lose in good style. But I don't miss it.

(I also really liked the first couple Magic anthologies, back when the game universe was less set and they let anybody play around in their backyard. Still have 'em.)

But I prefer Netrunner. And L5R is shit ever since they stopped printing Hare Clan. :P
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Tinkering around with the cards is fun. Actually playing a bunch of games is less interesting to me.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Prak_Anima wrote: I'm sorry, I can think of better uses for $80 than a magic deck list I got off the internet. And I don't even know any whores. ...well, not any that are likely to do anything for $80.
$80 is plenty if you shop around for a bargain.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

I wish the tools for dicking around with virtual decks were a little better.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

Lord Mistborn wrote:
...You Lost Me wrote:I think I stopped paying attention when I went to a tourney and 80% of the decks were B/U human.
Well there is basically no point at which standard has not been dominated by some anoying deck the card pool is so small that one deck or archatype often has disproportionately better cards.
Rav/Spiral.
K
King

Post by K »

CCGs tend to be an excellent way to meet people and a terrible way to spend time.

That being said, Magic has the largest reserve of misspent and poorly-used fantasy art in the publishing business.
koz
Duke

Post by koz »

K wrote:CCGs tend to be an excellent way to meet people and a terrible way to spend time.

That being said, Magic has the largest reserve of misspent and poorly-used fantasy art in the publishing business.
You must have a hella-better crowd over where you are! Most of the people who play CCGs of any stripe (MtG or otherwise) around here tend to be exactly the sort of people I avoid. This is not to say I've met nobody this way - one or two of my friends are people I met through MtG - but they constitute a very small minority.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

One first date I had with a girl back in the day was to grab her from her MtG tournament and go make out in the park.
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Mister_Sinister wrote:
Lord_Mistborn wrote:Well there is basically no point at which standard has not been dominated by some anoying deck the card pool is so small that one deck or archatype often has disproportionately better cards.
Rav/Spiral.
Ravinica block was cool but I ended up not being able to play with all those really cool decks due to $20 shocklands (fourtunaly Heartbeat combo a deck that played 0 shocklands existed). Ravinca block was still probly the golden era of standard and it looks like they're trying to make the magic happen again.

You seem to have somthing agains Innistrad block. They do sort of have to scale the power back every few blocks and unlike Kamigawa Innistrad isn't totally nerfed you can tell since it actually contributes a lot of things to the Eternal fromats.
Last edited by Mistborn on Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.