The Great Leap Forward in FantasyLand

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

The Great Leap Forward in FantasyLand

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Let's say you are in a generic (or D&D) fantasy setting, and a major nation leader tries to do rapid industrialialization in what is a transparent reference to Mao's Great Leap Forward.

How would magic influence this? What kind of plothooks could it present for adventurers? How could adventurers or nation leaders work to undo or counteract the damage if mass starvation and official records filled with untrustworthy data on productivity both became clear and severe problems?
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

Spammed Walls of Iron combined with Fabricate would obviate the need for an iron industry, for one thing, assuming you could get high-level wizards on board and prevent them from snorting coke off demon-ass or whatever.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

It also depends on how much your DM will let you abuse the trap creation rules. Automatically resetting create food traps are perfectly rules legal, but do tend to violate teh spirit of the rules. .
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I think you'd have to brain storm a lot about magic's actual limits.
I know DnD doesn't really push the standard of there BEING limits. But I think that would make it a lot easier to envision.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Skeletons work harder than peasants, especially after you've gotten one or two relevant feats. Normally, that's a great use of ancestors; when you're in a rush to meet quotas, however, it leads to spurious executions instead.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

I've said it before: Necromancy is the easy answer to all your pseudo-industrial needs.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
K
King

Post by K »

Foxwarrior wrote:Skeletons work harder than peasants, especially after you've gotten one or two relevant feats. Normally, that's a great use of ancestors; when you're in a rush to meet quotas, however, it leads to spurious executions instead.
Letting the undead handle your food and basic goods seems an excellent way to create a plague.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

You should probably wash them frequently.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

as the DM i would realize that the populace has no income to pay for anything and thus the idea is pointless as the kingdom wants taxes more than it does products to sell, so keeping the peasants on their backs so you can walk on them is worth more than the effort in this.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Foxwarrior wrote:You should probably wash them frequently.
Just cantrip that shit. :p
shadzar wrote:as the DM i would realize that the populace has no income to pay for anything and thus the idea is pointless as the kingdom wants taxes more than it does products to sell, so keeping the peasants on their backs so you can walk on them is worth more than the effort in this.
Actually, it's more along the lines of 'how do you deal with a Utopian society?'.

Presumably the undead would cost little to nothing to provide every service you'll need in society. Creating an entire populace of unemployed people who are still able to be fed and sheltered, at virtually no cost (aside from initial investment).

What does humanity tend to do when it's idle?
Yea.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

shad: the inability to pay taxes really didn't stop Mao and his revolution.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

K wrote:
Foxwarrior wrote:Skeletons work harder than peasants, especially after you've gotten one or two relevant feats. Normally, that's a great use of ancestors; when you're in a rush to meet quotas, however, it leads to spurious executions instead.
Letting the undead handle your food and basic goods seems an excellent way to create a plague.
I remember that one!
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=223989#223989

More seriously, that thread is right on topic for this thread.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

What if instead of rapid industrialization, you want to create post WWII America with GI bill and whatever else is needed that increased the education level of the country. Can we use magic to speed this up?

I suppose in D&D, this would require people leveling up and just teaching them skills. But is there something that doesn't require a world full of lv 10+ commoners and experts?
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Foxwarrior wrote:You should probably wash them frequently.
scrub and sanitize the bones prior to animation, command them to enter an antiseptic bath at whatever intervals you care to name, then walk through a rinse cycle. Seriously, every four hours*, walk them through fabricated grain alcohol to a depth of tallest skeleton height+1' and distance of ten feet, then under a decanter of endless water set to "fountain" over a grate over a wall of fire which evaporates the conjured rinse water that would otherwise do a number on your water table.

*Based on food safety concerns. It's said that food is safe for about four hours outside of safe holding temps (below 35° or above 140°)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Powerleveling the populace? I have just the exaggeration you need.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Wouldn't it just be easier to put the skeletons in a sterilized rubber suit?
Last edited by Cynic on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Rubber doesn't exist, silly.

Alternative Answer: That Evil, Evil Negative Energy can leak through protective clothing, of course.
Last edited by Foxwarrior on Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Even sterilized rubber has to be cleaned periodically.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Cynic wrote:shad: the inability to pay taxes really didn't stop Mao and his revolution.
so they become slaves to the industry, or pack up and move to a neighboring town that will protecting them and upon hearing of the witchcraft and evil things going on this neighboring kingdom sets forth to destroy the industrial one....and take its stuff.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Ted the Flayer
Knight-Baron

Post by Ted the Flayer »

Slaves to industry or slaves to some feudal baron, life pretty much sucks to be a serf any way you slice it.
Prak Anima wrote:Um, Frank, I believe you're missing the fact that the game is glorified spank material/foreplay.
Frank Trollman wrote:I don't think that is any excuse for a game to have bad mechanics.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Foxwarrior wrote:Rubber doesn't exist, silly.
You bastard.

Apologize to the trees, you're making them cry.

Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

boiled dragonhide padded armor that has a glassteel viewing area for the eyes?

hell Glassteel padded armor. It's only 9000 gp. I'm sure there are ways to reduce that price in some fashion.

There are totally ways to completely encase the skeleton without letting them actually have the water have any contact with their skin.

Are there any spells that also do this?
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Cynic wrote:boiled dragonhide padded armor that has a glassteel viewing area for the eyes?

hell Glassteel padded armor. It's only 9000 gp. I'm sure there are ways to reduce that price in some fashion.

There are totally ways to completely encase the skeleton without letting them actually have the water have any contact with their skin.

Concoct a spells to do it.
Or just purify everything post-processing.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

shad: Do you know anything about Mao's revolution?

The OP isn't talking about a small scale one-town project. If you do this for a nation and work it properly, the leaders don't really have to care about taxation rebellion.
K
King

Post by K »

codeGlaze wrote:
Cynic wrote:boiled dragonhide padded armor that has a glassteel viewing area for the eyes?

Concoct a spells to do it.
Or just purify everything post-processing.
If your skeleton-processing plant isn't full of baleful ghosts and undead curses, you aren't in a fantasy setting. There's major juju in something that terrible.

That's the fundamental problem with undead-based schemes. The stories you tell when there are many undead have to play out like Diablo and not like some Maoist propaganda film.

So yes, building a dark pyramid using undead slaves that blots out the sun with it's evil radiance is something that happens in a fantasy setting with disturbing regularity, but there is no version of "raises the undead to serve my will" where good things happen.