So, Anime You Like Lately

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Cynic wrote:LOGH would definitely be easier to watch because it's not like 1000 episodes.
LOGH is not a short series by any stretch of the imagination. It'd be slightly faster to watch two or even three Gundam series than that.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

But that's the thing. I don't want to watch 2-3 Gundam series. I want to watch the entire thing. LOGH is significantly shorter in that context.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

could anyone please recommend some good anime with such things as:

> Action/adventure kinda feel
> Female protagonists preferred
> Super attacks
> epic battles that last multiple episodes

For example, is there anything like Sailor Moon+Claymore combination or anything along those lines?
Jilocasin
Knight

Post by Jilocasin »

Soul Eater maybe?
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

thank you Jilocasin, Soul Eater looks pretty good. Can you or anyone else recommend any others?
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Soul Eater starts strong, and then gets progressively weaker. I believe it's one of those cases where they ran out of manga material. But also: the fights get less epic choreographing. Is that even the right word for an anime?

Regardless, watch it until it slips below your personal threshold of awesome, or finish it for the sake of already having come so far. You could do worse, and the first quarter/half is actually pretty good.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

I just finished marathoning Skip Beat. It's about a girl who decides to go into show-business to get revenge on her childhood friend. Better than it sounds. It's mostly comedic, and draws a lot of its humour from the main character's over-the-top reactions to absolutely everything, but there's still room for character development. Also, you should watch it just to see the ridiculous things the president of her agency does. Calling him eccentric wouldn't go far enough.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Just got done watching all of Mirai Nikki. I found it satisfying for the most part.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I am on the edge of my seat waiting for mazui to do a translation of Hyouka 22. Sadly, it's the last episode, but it's an oh so wonderfull series!
Strong male characters AND strong female characters!

furthermore: moretsu pirates . . schoolgirl pirates in space! without too much fan-service! and dat plot!

yuru yuri 2: more of the same. enjoyable.

binbougami-ga: total parody anime, there are just so many parodies of other anime series in there . . and oh god the fanservice. and surprisingly, the story O.o

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica:
WAAYY too much fanservice. Otherwise, surprisingly good. Finaly a male protagonist who is not some blushing maid or humble good guy or something.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Deadman Wonderland is really good IMO but for some reason I can't find an ending to the manga. The Anime is one of those incidences where they just stop mid series.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Stahlseele wrote:Finaly a male protagonist who is not some blushing maid or humble good guy or something.
He is the worst kind of Gary Stu. The writers cannot pass up a chance to show him being one-dimensionally awesome at everything he does, and it is terrible. That said, every other harem's generic bumbling incompetent protagonists are pretty terrible characters too, so at least he stands out by being terrible in a different way than usual. Keeps it fresh, right?

Campione is another airing action harem with an MC who doesn't suck at everything, but he's still totally the 'blushing maid' and/or 'humble good guy'. The fan service is a little more discreet, except for the fact that making out is a powerup mechanic. It's also more of the typical harem, with the 'one arc per love interest' story structure as opposed to Hagure's single-heroine focus with (lots of) candy sprinkled on the side.

@Hyouka: Hyouka has quite a bit of really poorly written drama. I think the best example (well, it's when I stopped watching, planning to finish it) is the movie mystery arc: everyone comes up to tell him he solved the movie's mystery wrong like he'd murdered a puppy. I half-expected one of them to reach out and smack him in the face. They were trying to wring tension and drama out of it but it was entirely too trivial for those kinds of responses. Other than the attempt to take the show's mysteries more serious than they actually are, it's one of the few slice of life shows I can stand.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

My Wife is a Mermaid, School Rumble, Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou are comedies as harems all with main characters that are much more tolerable (mostly because they are comedies I'd say)
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

DSMatticus wrote:it's one of the few slice of life shows I can stand.
Nichijou. Ni. Chi. Jo. U. Seriously.

Granted, it helps that this one isn't the "this could totally happen" Slice of Life you get from Azumanga Daioh or Yotsuba& or K-On!, because of the robot girl and all that.

(And I don't consider a show about teenagers to be realistic if they aren't swearing their mouths off when adults aren't around to tell them to stop. Hence a thumbs-up for Japanese Pokemon, apparently Ash has quite the mouth on him.)
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I just recently finished watching Transformers: Supergod Masterforce. Hearing characters shout "GOD ON!" and "HEAD ON!" is absolutley hilarious. You get used to it though.

Also, the villian of Masterforce is a giant, pulsating space vagina whose true form is that of a great, big shrimp-fetus.

I am in the process of watching Transformers: Victory. No "GOD ON!" here, but it does have the Destron Breastforce.

After I finish with that, I need to go and buy TF: Headmasters, which is technically the first part of the Japanese TF saga, but I missed out on buying it when it was in stores 'cause I'm a dope.

I'm also really, really, REALLY upset that they have not released the Transformers: Zone OVA.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OK just watched the final episode of Hyouka . . i have seldom seen anything done as beautifull as this . . but the story was . . poor at best, i am afraid . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Argh. Like, three-thirds* of Victory are just clip shows. Some have a theme, but some don't. I mean, just eight episodes in, there's a clip show recapping not just the important bits that happend so far (which aren't many yet), they recap EVERYTHING.

It's really dull.

I know if I were a kid in Japan in 1989 watching TV, hoping for some new adventure involving giant ass robots, and I saw this crap come on instead, I think I'd cry. Truly I would.

Are there any other animes that do that? Have an episode be nothing but a useless clip-show that contributes nothing while taking away valuable time that could be used for other things, like coming up with examples for what one could do if they weren't watching a clip show?

I hope so. Then I won't feel alone in my misery.

*Yes, I realize three-thirds is a whole. It's just something I say.
Half asleep upon my knee
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Shrapnel wrote:Also, the villian of Masterforce is a giant, pulsating space vagina
Have you ever seen a vagina? Or even a picture of one? Because I am forced to conclude that you have not.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

One of my friends watched the second half of Fushigi Yugi and thought it was the whole thing. He said it was really impressive how a show like that started in media res and filled in all the backstory in flashbacks, requiring an unusually high level of engagement from the audience.

When he discovered the series was just extremely redundant, he was disappoint.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Whatever wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:Also, the villian of Masterforce is a giant, pulsating space vagina
Have you ever seen a vagina? Or even a picture of one? Because I am forced to conclude that you have not.
Perhaps he meant anus?

It kind of looks like an anus that is either trying to take a shit or having something stuck up it.

Kind of.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:One of my friends watched the second half of Fushigi Yugi and thought it was the whole thing. He said it was really impressive how a show like that started in media res and filled in all the backstory in flashbacks, requiring an unusually high level of engagement from the audience.

When he discovered the series was just extremely redundant, he was disappoint.
It's not exactly a bad series, I wouldn't even say "it hasn't aged well", but it's certainly not as good as I thought it was when I first saw it nearly ten years ago. That said, with the rape stuff in the first half, just skipping that and figuring everything out via the second half isn't a bad idea.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Whatever wrote:
Yes, I have seen vaginas before. I have never seen one up close and personal however, let alone storm the legions of vaginas that you must surely have.

That aside, I know that Devil Z does not resemble one to any great extent. I just think the phrase "space vagina" is funny. Plus, the thing is in a dias that is covered in tentacles, making it look more like one. And also, Devil Z looks like some sort of hentai villian. And finally, because this cannot be stressed enough, I just think the phrase "space vagina" is funny.

I am forced to conclude that you take great leaps of assumption about people.
Last edited by Shrapnel on Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Half asleep upon my knee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Shrapnel wrote:Plus, the thing is in a dias that is covered in tentacles, making it look more like one.

It looks kind of like a sideways Cloyster being used as some sort of energy source there, and Cloyster is totally a vagina, so I guess I see the vagina analogue.
And also, Devil Z looks like some sort of hentai villian.
One hentai villain does not a vagina make.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

A full let's play of Asura's Wrath is like an anime, over the top, and the best example I have ever seen of a level 11-20 Android Barbarian campaign (boss fights only, not the trash mook fights), besides Tekken Toppa Gurin Lagan. It was refreshingly awesome.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
Shrapnel wrote:And also, Devil Z looks like some sort of hentai villian.
One hentai villain does not a vagina make.
You have not seen the seijin manga and 18-kin anime that I have seen...
Half asleep upon my knee
Whatever
Prince

Post by Whatever »

Shrapnel wrote:I am forced to conclude that you take great leaps of assumption about people.
I certainly do!