Patvandishn i o Frashkart: Dom 3 PBEM

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Winnah
Duke

Patvandishn i o Frashkart: Dom 3 PBEM

Post by Winnah »

Game name: Frashkart

In refernce to patvandishn i o Frashkart, or Final Rehabilitation.

Map-Pangaea
Mods: Assimilation
Settings: Magic site frequency 40
HoF 15
Renaming allowed
Quickhost
36 hour turns to start, then expanded as time goes on
Diplomacy allowed*

*Trades, NAP's and other diplomacy will not be enforced by me.

Players:

Winnah: ?
Brock: Patala or Abyssia
Korwin: Ermor
Ghoul31: Gath
BrodieSWR: Atlantis
Diceman: R'lyeh
Colonial: Midgard
Kakarotto: Arcoscephale
Nooblis: Mictlan
Corinthian: Ulm

llamaserver link. Frashkart
Last edited by Winnah on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 7 times in total.
gp1628
NPC

Post by gp1628 »

I cant play but....

There is a thread of ideas for game variations of Dom3.
http://www.dom3minions.com/HostingGames.htm
Altho some of those wont fit in the LLamaServer.com menu. You have to switch to a server like Dom3Minions.com for creative games.

And 3 online map-browsing sources that I know of (in order of preference)
http://www.llamaserver.net/mapModBrowser.cgi
http://dom3.servegame.com/wiki/Category:Map
http://www.dom3minions.com/maps.htm
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I migth be interested, depending on when it starts and in how many games I got killed.
I would like another Chance at LA Ermor...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Thanks for the advice on the dom3minions servers, I may set up a game there. I like the idea of combining pbem and direct server connection, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Updated the main post. My main reason for plaanning so far ahead is to make sure I actually get into a game. More often than not, I tend to miss recruitment or stale first turn because of the lack of communication.

Reason I want to play LA? Never done so before. I hear a lot of complaints about certain domkill nations, but I want to see for myself.
gp1628
NPC

Post by gp1628 »

Winnah wrote:Thanks for the advice on the dom3minions servers, I may set up a game there. I like the idea of combining pbem and direct server connection, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.
Having a mixed game where people can mail in their turns is problematic. The direct connect game cannot "see" emailed turns unless it is brought down and restarted each time. But it is really simply to have a direct connect game email the turns OUT to the players. That covers most of what people consider benefits of email.
Reason I want to play LA? Never done so before. I hear a lot of complaints about certain domkill nations, but I want to see for myself.
The complaints are true. But the game is supposed to go that way. EA is more magic, LA is more armor and priests. MA in the middle. The concept of EA/MA/LA is supposed to reflect that shift.
Last edited by gp1628 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Re: dominions 3 PBEM

Post by Korwin »

Some more feedback.
Winnah wrote: Currently thinking of setting up a LA game on llamaserver of the dom3minions server.
or?
Currently, thinking a Vanilla game. I might be persuaded to use certain mods if there is a call for it, but I'm not completely comfortable with having to alter my playstyle to compensate for someone elses idea of balance.
The assimilation mod in combination with no independents might be interesting.
But I dont have a problem with an all Vanilla game. I like Vanilla.
Site frequency: average, so around 50, maybe higher on a smaller map.
Wouldnt go higher than 50%
Independant strength high. At least 7, probably 9.

Max hall of fame entries.
No problem.
No graphs, but this is redundant if the game ends up on llamaserver.
Huh? on llamaserver you can deactivate the graphs, too (And I think there is an new option. No Nation Info or somesuch.)
Renaming allowed. Mainly for rp and micromanagement.

Standard income and research rates.
np.
Winnah
Duke

Re: dominions 3 PBEM

Post by Winnah »

Korwin wrote: or?
Yeah, or. My fingers are not ideal for typing.
The assimilation mod in combination with no independents might be interesting.
It looks interesting. I have noticed that some capital sites still seem to function when conquered, particularly those that require entry by a mage. Also that certain capital sometimes give extra unit types when conquered, such as heavy cavalry or catyphract in Marignon, or hydra hatchlings from Aroscephale.

I was never sure if this was a bug or a feature, so making it a feature could be great fun, especially if the Victory Conditions are set to require the capture of opposing capitals. If there is enough interest, then I'll be sure to include the mod.
Huh? on llamaserver you can deactivate the graphs, too (And I think there is an new option. No Nation Info or somesuch.)
I have never created a game on llamaserver. I got the wrong idea from talking to people about game preferences. I would prefer to make scouting more of a requirement in order to gain intel, but I'm not totally comitted to removing graphs. If people really want them, I'll include them.
gp1628 wrote:The complaints are true. But the game is supposed to go that way. EA is more magic, LA is more armor and priests. MA in the middle. The concept of EA/MA/LA is supposed to reflect that shift.
I have played a number of EA and MA games, but never seen the problems associated with LA MP for myself. I'm obviously missing something, but I do not mind learning the hard way.

Thanks for the feedback.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

LA Ermor completely changes the way the way the game is played for everybody else, as their strategy, specifically, is to maximize the scales of death, sloth, heat/cold and walk in with a dominion 10 pretender with 9/10 in death magic; in play you build temples like they're going out of style and shoot to set up "burden of age" and "winds of pestilence" with an end game of "utterdark". Your plan is to ruin everyone else's gold production (which you don't need because all your units are either free spawned or summoned) and stop all Provences from having a supply and population score (which you also don't need because all your armies are undead and can't starve) by making the world a dark, barren wasteland incapable of supporting life.

To win on your terms, you gotta rush LA Ermor before they can get enough castles up to freespawn decent infantry and sacred cavalry, as armies made from undeveloped provinces can out number you 4 to 1 and you will still win, otherwise your late game terms better be summoned demons or undead super combatents, as any thing that can die to starvation and age will die and gold production for everyone is one tenth of nothing.
Last edited by Hicks on Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
gp1628
NPC

Post by gp1628 »

Keep in mind that the differences between the host servers. LLamaServer is PbEM only and menu driven. This means you are limited in doing a game within the menus limits.

Dom3Minions is harder to setup and admin but you can do anything you have seen in a dom3 game (including LLama's menu) or anything you can dream up.

These links are about setting up a Dom3 game on Dom3Minions. Just email the parameters to gandalf on the dead.isp of Community.net
http://www.dom3minions.com/HostingGames.htm
Of particular interest might be the link "Sitting on the Fence" which lists many interesting variations for a Dom3 game.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

My spare Dominions time has gone into tinkering around with mods. I kind of let this slide.

I'll try and get something up and running in the next week or so, depending on what interest I can raise on various forums. There are some Canadians that owe me a rematch at least...
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

ETA?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

I've been preoccupied. Will post recruitment feelers and then go with whoever responds by monday.

First post updated.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

I want another try with Ermor, while secretly hoping someone kills me early.
Last edited by Korwin on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

2 more players, from the Shrapnel forums

and another, from the Dom3mods forum
Last edited by Winnah on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Sorry for the double post. I'll try not to make a habit of it.

Updated main post. Recruitment will be closed in a few hours, I will post a link to llamaserver then.

edit:closed. Design pretenders
Last edited by Winnah on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

Just curious, what's the Assimilation mod?
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

Detailed here.

It modifies capital sites so that they allow the production of national units. This has the effect of making some units appear twice in the recruitment screen.

However, if a rival nation caputres your capital, they can then produce certain units on your roster, but only from the captured city. So capturing Patala means you can recruit a few monkeys.

Generally, sacred and capital only units are exempt from 'assimilation', but I have not tested it extensively or dug too deeply into the .dm files.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Pretender submitted, where do we want to talk with the other players?
3 different Forums are a little cumbersome.
I'm OK with any of the 3 forums where the player got recruited.
Winnah
Duke

Post by Winnah »

How about the Shrapnel forums?

Any issues can be discussed there, as I am sure many from the Dom3mods forum have accounts there.

Also, some llamaserver issues may delay start for a while. It's having a little trouble accepting new data.