More wild life in houses

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

More wild life in houses

Post by Prak »

Apparently we've had a juvenile lizard in the house for several days (my mother mentioned one the other day, and I saw it today). I'm not sure whether to be impressed that the lizard evaded the cat, or if my cat simply doesn't give a shit.

Anyway, The most I know is that it's a lizard, and it's a juvenile. The wonderful tool known as the internet has led me to believe it's a northern alligator lizard, but I'm not exactly an expert.

Anyone here have a better idea of what it is?
Sorry for the shit photos, I'm not exactly a great photographer, either.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Oh, cute! Make sure to name it :3

Also, does your cat eat indoors? Lizards love dog food and cat food, so if such edibles are inside for any great length of time, lizards are more likely to show up for the free buffet.

Back in my old house, a blue-tongue lizard ended up getting there - probably because the dog only nibbles on his food throughout the day, finishing it all at dinner time. The dog elected to pay no attention to it, probably because "If I notice it I'm probably expected to chase it or something". It was just wandering along, towards the (open) door, so I figured it wouldn't do any harm*. Eventually let itself out.

*And, while non-deadly (in Australia. I know) and mild-mannered, they can give a very painful bite if you decide to handle them. Clearly discretion is the more valorous part of cowardice.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

well, I eventually had to shower, and put it in an open tupperware it couldn't climb out of, then decided it was probably freaking the fuck out after getting put in there, and put it outside in my mother's garden.

but yeah, the pets eat inside, so it may have stolen a nibble or two of their food, but I'd be surprised. The cat eats all of it's food in one go, and the dog eats kibble roughly the size of the lizard if it curled up.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

This wasn't in my house, but it is kind of relevant.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

One time, my B. smithi[/b] brood female got out of her cage. I was playing Bioshock, and saw something out of the corner of my eye. I thought "wow, that's awfully big for a native spi- OH CRAP LADY GOT OUT!". My cat was up on her haunches below where the spider was on the wall waiting to catch it (Lidda has made it her life's goal to eat my spiders ever since I started keeping them).

After saving the tarantula from the cat, she showed her thanks by trying to bite me. (It's something that's easily survivable, but I'd rather not get bitten again if I can avoid it).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Vnonymous I have no idea what that thing even is.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

looks like an ayeaye or a possum. Probably an ayeaye.

erik
King

Post by erik »

I don't think it is an ayeaye. Ears and snout are quite different than an ayeaye. (ayeaye has huge ears and a stubby snout)

I was going to reject possum out of hand since I was thinking of the american style possums that I have seen, but the australian variety looks pretty danged close.

versus

So my vote goes to the Common Brushtail Possum that lives around Australia, Tasmania and New Zealand.
Last edited by erik on Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

It does look like a possum to me. I've never seen one in a house though.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Prak: It looks like a skink to me.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Vnonymous
Knight

Post by Vnonymous »

It is actually a possum, people. I'd have thought it was pretty obvious. Also that's actually a park, not my house.
erik
King

Post by erik »

It is less obvious when a possum on the Northern or Western Hemispheres looks like this:

Hairless tails. Much more angular and narrow snouts.
Last edited by erik on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Psychic Robot wrote:Prak: It looks like a skink to me.
well, whatever it was, it's in my yard somewhere now, living off of whatever the lizard that birthed it did.