Annoying Questions I'd Like Answered...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fbmf wrote:What is meant by "the dirtbag left"?

Game On,
fbmf
It means a few contradictory things.

One is people who are mean and don't care about your feelings and are jerks, but on the left, so they say the mean swears and insult people.

One is people who are "left" economically, but spend all their time railing against intersectionality/opposition to racism/sexism/and assorted queerphobias, basically advocating class reductionism.

Different people use it one of the other way that it ends up being not a very useful term.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I've seen people describe themselves as dirtbag left on social media, and then their feed was making jokes about Russian and Chinese civilians getting murdered by their own government.
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

I guess that was the wrong answer, lol
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I've seen dirtbag left usually come up where podcasts and YouTube channels are concerned. Usually describing a person who's left leaning but more offensive in some way.

I think Twitter is trash and is a bad barometer for politics so I can't say personally of I've seen it there but I've heard that like any other group identity on Twitter it spends a lot of time hurling shit at perceived enemies.

Of course as yet another pejorative you can really apply it to whoever you don't like so ymmv.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

fbmf wrote:What is meant by "the dirtbag left"?

Game On,
fbmf
The way I understand it, it sort of depends on who's saying it.

When liberals say it, they use it to mean "leftists who are mean" which basically means, leftists who converse the way we do here on the Den (lots of swearing, insults tossed off matter of factly, etc)

When conservatives say it, they basically mean "leftists." Which is to say, they use it to refer to actual leftist people, in general, distinct from liberals.

When leftists say it, they generally use it to mean leftists who, well, basically fail in some measure of leftism, usually by retaining some manner of bigotry or who are only very generally "leftist" by coopting leftism for their own bullshit.

For example, I would say Chapo Trap House dirtbag leftists because they are leftists, but retain a lot of ableism and casual racism and sexism in their views. And I would say INDECLINE is a bunch of dirtbag leftists because they're coopting leftist aesthetics to sell t shirts while also having very liberal politics (an example being their fat shamey Nude Trump statue)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

A much more useful answer: Ask the person who used the word. Their response will be far more informative than anything we can tell you.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

my mind goes strange places sometimes . .
why can't i stop thinking about vampires/zombies having a food fight? x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

A jew, a catholic, and muslim are on a podcast. They talk about how the profit motive of capitalism causes engineering disasters, coping with the tragedy through absurdist humor. Sometimes the humor isn't enough to not be broken by the scope of tragedy. The self described dirtbag left of the Well There's Your Problem podcast with slides youtube channel.

Bring a box of tissues for the Grenfell Tower and Bhopal disasters, and don't forget to do a pronoun check on your way in.
Last edited by Hicks on Sun May 24, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

George Floyd's killer was arrested on third degree, or, depraved heart, murder. Along with a lot of people, I believe that the killing was at least 1st degree.

Is it possible that this charge could be upgraded during trial or whatever legal proceedings?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yes.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:George Floyd's killer was arrested on third degree, or, depraved heart, murder. Along with a lot of people, I believe that the killing was at least 1st degree.

Is it possible that this charge could be upgraded during trial or whatever legal proceedings?
It wouldn't be upgraded "at trial" but it is certainly possible to upgrade the charge at some later point based on further investigation.

However, let's be clear: The autopsy report was just written to if not deliberately lie, be extremely misleading, and it took a precinct being burned to get him arrested making him the first cop in the history of the state of Minnesota to ever be charged with murder for an on the job murder.

If another cop precinct doesn't get lit on fire there isn't going to be an upgrade.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh certainly. I'm just, like, trying to cling to whatever hope I can find right now, yknow?

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, to my mind the fact that you rarely see cops charged with so much as manslaughter tells me about everything I need to know about the odds of an upgrade happening. There's actually hypothetical just worlds where I can imagine being cool with 3rd degree murder and a full 25 in the pokey being the sentence in a case like this. But in those imaginary worlds we'd also be penning trigger happy cops on the regular and that demonstrably just doesn't happen. That it's merely the charge in this incident leads my most cynical self to believe that at worst we're looking at a not guilty verdict and at best he pleas down to something even lower.
bears fall, everyone dies
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

actually, wait, i left out the possibility of him pleading down to piddly bullshit and then trump fucking pardons that because he is basically the world's longest shit stain.
bears fall, everyone dies
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Do people really feel like they are going to drown in the blue eyes of attractive people, or is that something people put in pop songs because other people put in pop songs?
The Adventurer's Almanac
Duke

Post by The Adventurer's Almanac »

Yes.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Depends but yes . . i have had that happen to me . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Works for any eye color if you're into them, I reckon. But drowning in brown doesn't conjure the same imagery.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Huh, wasn't expecting that.
erik wrote:Works for any eye color if you're into them, I reckon. But drowning in brown doesn't conjure the same imagery.
Ok, didn't exactly lol, but snorted a bit.
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

Could be a play on "takes my breath away," which is an actual physical response I can relate to.

Also, I'm presuming metaphor Stahl, but to double check, are you posting from a sea of vitreous humor?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Eye see what you did there . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Ok, this is a weird question, but where does the stereotype that women doing something with their mouths is inherently attractive come from?

I get facial expressions which involve the mouth, but lots of movie have people giving advice like "Randomly stick a fingertip in your mouth, it makes you sexy" and this is supposed to be serious and I'm just not seeing it.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Thaluikhain wrote:Ok, this is a weird question, but where does the stereotype that women doing something with their mouths is inherently attractive come from?

I get facial expressions which involve the mouth, but lots of movie have people giving advice like "Randomly stick a fingertip in your mouth, it makes you sexy" and this is supposed to be serious and I'm just not seeing it.
I don't think it's any more complicated than:

1. woman puts {thing} in/near mouth
2. viewer imagines {thing} is his penis
3. profit
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

If she's sucking on a lollipop in a suggestive way, I could see that. Poking herself in the mouth like she's checking if her teeth are loose, not so much.