Mirror Image vs. EBT

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

josephbt
Knight

Mirror Image vs. EBT

Post by josephbt »

What happens? Do the images get grappled to oblivion? Does only the mage get squished? What???
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

If the images are touched for damage, they poof away, and the mage is usually in for more tentacle-rape than an otaku with a 5' stack of Henti. Mirror image is a 2nd level spell against a 4th level, and is roughly eight times inferior in power, you kinda expect things with that power level to be... you know... raped.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Since it's an area spell, I don't think it dispels the images. I think they'd just play along at being grappled, similar to how images caught in a fireball show the damage.

The mage himself of course would be grappled, while the images would have the illusion of being grappled. There's no real target limit on EBT, so having images wouldn't be of any help.

Now, I really have no idea what would happen if only your images got targeted and the mage himself wasn't grappled.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

The images would be grappled if they were in the effect of the EBT.

The MI spell has the Images look as if they are affected by whatever is affecting them.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
RandomCasualty2
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty2 »

Judging__Eagle wrote:The images would be grappled if they were in the effect of the EBT.

The MI spell has the Images look as if they are affected by whatever is affecting them.
Yeah, the main issue is if the main mage isn't grappled and decides to move away. Does the image remain grappled or can it basically leave the grapple at will since it's supposed to follow the caster. I mean, it's an illusion, so the tentacles really can't truly grab it.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Relevant part about Mirror Image from d20srd.com: Enemies attempting to attack you or cast spells at you must select from among indistinguishable targets. Generally, roll randomly to see whether the selected target is real or a figment. Any successful attack against an image destroys it. -snip- Figments seem to react normally to area spells (such as looking like they’re burned or dead after being hit by a fireball).

Relevant part about EBT: Every creature within the area of the spell must make a grapple check, opposed by the grapple check of the tentacles.

Do Fireballs destroy the images? Does any AoE that deals damage do that? Are they targeted by the AoE? Will the images be attacked by EBT?
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

The quoted suggests that an image is dispelled only if a creature selects the image as a target of its attack and the attack succeeds, and if an image is within an area effect they feign being affected. On one hand, the tentacles are an area effect, but on the other hand they logically have to have the ability to tell creatures apart from objects and other tentacles and only target creatures. I'd say that the figments are either grappled and destroyed (if tentacles can perceive them) or the tentacles phase through them (if not). Either way the images should be rendered ineffective.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Do the images ever do anything differently from what you're doing? Could you say one image is doing pushups while another is drinking a potion and a third is casting a spell?

If not, I'd think that the interaction would be all or nothing. EBT makes a check against the real, actual mage (even though no one else can tell who that is) and, if he's grappled, then all the images are too. If he isn't, none of the images are. When he moves out of the AOE, the images come with him.

Do the images reflect conditions that actually nab the caster? Do they all manifest a wound if the wizard gets slashed? I'd think so, as the spell would be pretty worthless if you could pick out the wizard as the one with the arrow in him.
Roy
Prince

Post by Roy »

Any point predicted upon Mirror Image being a lower level is automatically invalid on the grounds that Greater Mirror Image works the same in all relevant ways and is the same level as the tentacles.

With that said, all indications are that only single target attacks destroy the images, multi target attacks appear to affect them but do not remove them.
Draco_Argentum wrote:
Mister_Sinister wrote:Clearly, your cock is part of the big barrel the server's busy sucking on.
Can someone tell it to stop using its teeth please?
Juton wrote:Damn, I thought [Pathfailure] accidentally created a feat worth taking, my mistake.
Koumei wrote:Shad, please just punch yourself in the face until you are too dizzy to type. I would greatly appreciate that.
Kaelik wrote:No, bad liar. Stop lying.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type I - doing exactly the opposite of what they said they would do.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type II - change for the sake of change.
Standard Paizil Fare/Fail (SPF) Type III - the illusion of change.