BAAAAWWW 4th Edition Sucks!

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

BAAAAWWW 4th Edition Sucks!

Post by Angry_Pessimist »

Ad nauseum, I see people posting here about how much 4th Edition sucks.

Now, I can understand your anger, but to keep having posts about it, basically repeating the same thing over and over?

If you bought the books and don't like them, use your receipt to get your money back. Or, if you lost said receipt, sell them on Ebay.

Do you like the Tome series? Play a Tome game!

Sure, there are plenty of bad games out there, but to continually post about how much that they suck makes it seem like WotC personally betrayed you or something.
Last edited by Angry_Pessimist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Ah, you noticed it too? Of course, just wait for someone to pull the "you are complaining about complaining" card out.

I'm running a bit of Tome myself, and I had been trying to get more people chiming in on opinions for TNE to get that mostly finished, but not many are bothering it seems.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Leress
Prince

Re: BAAAAWWW 4th Edition Sucks!

Post by Leress »

Angry_Pessimist wrote:Ad nauseum, I see people posting here about how much 4th Edition sucks.
Stop reading the threads then
Now, I can understand your anger, but to keep having threads about it, basically repeating the same thing over and over?
There aren't new thread about it mostly it just on going threads
If you bought the books and don't like them, use your receipt to get your money back. Or, if you lost said receipt, sell them on Ebay.
Are you a Frank Trollman fan boy? Play a Tome game!
I'm not a fanboy. I do play a Tome game. What does that have to do with 4e not being good
Sure, there are plenty of bad games out there, but to continually post about how much that they suck makes it seem like WotC personally betrayed you or something.
There was no real need to make a new thread about this. This could have been said in another thread.
virgileso wrote:Ah, you noticed it too? Of course, just wait for someone to pull the "you are complaining about complaining" card out.

I'm running a bit of Tome myself, and I had been trying to get more people chiming in on opinions for TNE to get that mostly finished, but not many are bothering it seems.
I have to get caught up on all the developments of the game.
Last edited by Leress on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

BAAAAWWWW
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

virgileso wrote:Ah, you noticed it too? Of course, just wait for someone to pull the "you are complaining about complaining" card out.
Of course I'm complaining about complaining! The horse is dead, and the nail has been driven into the coffin. And if someone does use it as an excuse, it doesn't rationalize the rampant "Whaaa! WotC raped D&D!" complaints. It's like Cain from the Dumpshock message boards; he complains about how much Shadowrun 4th Edition sucks so much that I believe that he secretly enjoys 4th edition, but is in denial.

We get it, WotC made a bad game.

No sense complaining about crappy games when you can play good ones.
Last edited by Angry_Pessimist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

Leress wrote: There aren't new thread about it mostly it just on going threads
Alright, I apologize. I change the word "threads" to "posts." It still seems like a lot.
I'm not a fanboy. I do play a Tome game. What does that have to do with 4e not being good
It's a D&D variant that a lot of people here find fun. If it works for you, fine. Play that instead of focusing on the negative aspects of 4th Edition, or you'll end up as an angry pessimist like me.
Last edited by Angry_Pessimist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

A certain amount of complaining is a good thing, because it does highlight the bad aspects of the game, which can be used to identify it in other games; especially if one is interested in making one.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

There was no real need to make a new thread about this. This could have been said in another thread.
What thread would you recommend, then?
virgileso wrote:A certain amount of complaining is a good thing, because it does highlight the bad aspects of the game, which can be used to identify it in other games; especially if one is interested in making one.
Okay. But some points have been repeated. I don't want to read the same thing again.
Last edited by Angry_Pessimist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Angry_Pessimist wrote:
What thread would you recommend, then?
Well that moment has already past since this one is in full swing.
It's a D&D variant that a lot of people here find fun. If it works for you, fine. Play that instead of focusing on 4th Edition.
Please re-read what this was responding to. If you would also notice you don't really see me on most of those threads about 4e.
Last edited by Leress on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

Leress wrote:Please re-read what this was responding to. If you would also notice you don't really see me on most of those threads about 4e.
Okay, I apologize for misinterpreting your posts.

But the Tomes and 4th Edition have the same idea at heart: make a D&D game. If you are more than capable of picking up a version of the game that you love that you like best, pick it up and focus on that one instead of focusing on how bad the other one is.

Did you buy the 4th Edition books and lost your receipt? Are your players vehement on running 4th Edition and nothing else? Otherwise, why bother complaining if it won't personally affect your games?

To the Bold: This thread is not named "BAAAWWW Leress thinks that 4th Edition Sucks!" Nor am I saying that every single poster here complains.
Last edited by Angry_Pessimist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Why do only Frank-Fan Boys get to play Tome Games?

Game On,
fbmf
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

fbmf wrote:Why do only Frank-Fan Boys get to play Tome Games?

Game On,
fbmf
Sorry, I didn't mean to come off that only fan-boys play Tome Games. I was using emphasis to make my point.

If it bothers you, I'll edit my post.
MartinHarper
Knight-Baron

Post by MartinHarper »

I'm finding the 4e suckage comments useful. It's like a guide to the broken bits:

1. Stealth
2. Skill Challenges
3. Solo monsters
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

fbmf wrote:Why do only Frank-Fan Boys get to play Tome Games?

Game On,
fbmf
I guess the K-Fan boys can't play huh?
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

Leress wrote:I guess the K-Fan boys can't play huh?
I've changed the post. Happy now?
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I'm exceedingly disgruntled, actually; and only a duel to the death can satiate my need for compensation :P
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

You know what, I'll stop complaining about people who complain. I'll take Leress' suggestions to heart and just not read certain posts. Thank you Leress for your level-headedness.

I hope that I did not piss everyone off, and I apologize if I did.
Last edited by Angry_Pessimist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Angry_Pessimist wrote:
Leress wrote:Please re-read what this was responding to. If you would also notice you don't really see me on most of those threads about 4e.
Okay, I apologize for misinterpreting your posts.
No Problem
But the Tomes and 4th Edition have the same idea at heart: make a D&D game. If you are more than capable of picking up a version of the game that you love that you like best, pick it up and focus on that one instead of focusing on how bad the other one is.
Well many of the discussion are about some of solutions that could be made to fix some of the problems in 4e/Pathfinder/Etc
Did you buy the 4th Edition books and lost your receipt? Are your players vehement on running 4th Edition and nothing else? Otherwise, why bother complaining if it won't personally affect your games?
I will let others answer that one.
To the Bold: This thread is not named "BAAAWWW Leress thinks that 4th Edition Sucks!" Nor am I saying that every single poster here complains.
Well I can only speak for myself.
I've changed the post. Happy now?
I guess you didn't see the joke there huh?
Last edited by Leress on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

Leress wrote:I guess you didn't see the joke there huh?
Nope.

Pessimists aren't known for their sense of humor.

And your sense of humor is most likely different than mine.
Last edited by Angry_Pessimist on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Meh, I got bored with the 4E posts/threads myself.

Too much conversation about things that I have neither read nor plan to read. It's being hashed over by other people that have and want to hash it over.

I'm sure that the benefits will be apparent in TNE.

I'm fine playing a Tome game, I even ran one (lvl 5,6,7; about.... 80-120 encounters all told) back when Book of Gears was a title for the next segment/installment. The Tome stuff worked like a charm.

I wasn't able to test out the Knight or Samurai at all, but the rest of the stuff worked well. Lots of monks and barbarians were played.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Angry_Pessimist
Apprentice

Judging__Eagle wrote:Meh, I got bored with the 4E posts/threads myself.

Too much conversation about things that I have neither read nor plan to read. It's being hashed over by other people that have and want to hash it over.

I'm sure that the benefits will be apparent in TNE.

I'm fine playing a Tome game, I even ran one (lvl 5,6,7; about.... 80-120 encounters all told) back when Book of Gears was a title for the next segment/installment. The Tome stuff worked like a charm.

I wasn't able to test out the Knight or Samurai at all, but the rest of the stuff worked well. Lots of monks and barbarians were played.
Even if 4th Edition makes 3rd Edition obsolete, I'll still keep playing 3rd edition, just because I like it more.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Does anyone else believe my call on Jerry now?

Anyway. 4e is the big news in D&D, indeed D&D now IS 4e.

This site is primarily about D&D.

4e is a bit sucky by our high standards.

Therefore there will be lots of 4e talk and a lot won't be positive. It's like complaining that an Olympics forum is obsessing over China and criticising the quality of some shoddy venue.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

PhoneLobster wrote:Does anyone else believe my call on Jerry now?
More every day.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Kaelik wrote:
More every day.
It's the writing style.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

Leress: I used to dislike your habit of quoting every fvcking word in a post - now I see it's awesome (for showing BS); thanks. :P
Yeah, I'd made one too off-line some days ago (not posting much due to work delayed by computer woes).
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.