Two 3.5 Class Redesigns

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Two 3.5 Class Redesigns

Post by Calibron »

Well I had these floating around in my D&D folder and figured I might as well drop them off here since TNE isn't likely to be done for at least a little while.

As usual charts didn't make the transition from word to board, sorry.

First the Archanamach that actually has a spell list which I forgot to post after first fixing it.

Archanamach
Your layered magical defenses will not even slow me. You have interfered with my master’s plans for the last time; prepare to die.
-Zechariahs Corrint, Archanamach

The Archanamach are an ancient order with a dual purpose, to both protect and destroy powerful arcane casters. The thing is powerful wizards are hard to kill, I mean really friggin’ hard to kill, so you need training from those who know an arcanist’s weaknesses better than anyone; an arcanist. Your laser-like focus on killing enemy spell casters in order to keep your mentor safe somewhat limits your effectiveness against those who eschew magical protection and empowerment, but since you become a competent spell slinger in your own right, you’ve gotta fight fire with fire after all, you have plenty of options for fighting off more mundane enemies.

Requirements
BAB+5
Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Spellcraft 4 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks
Feats: Mage Slayer, Iron Will, Danger Sense

Class Skills
Bluff(Cha), Concentration(Con), Craft(Int), Disguise(Cha), Escape Artist(Dex), Hide(Dex) Jump(Str), Knowledge(Arcana)(Int), Knowledge(History)(Int), Knowledge(The Planes)(Int), Listen(Wis), Move Silently(Dex), Search(Int), Spellcraft(Int), Spot(Wis), Swim(Str), Use Rope(Dex)
Skill Points at each level: 4+Int mod

D8 Hit Die
Full BAB
Saves: Good, Poor, Good

lvl 1: Expanded Knowledge, Reduced Spell Failure 5%, Tenacious Spells, Efficient Slayer, Mage Bound, Protect Patron

lvl 2: Expanded Knowledge, Dispelling Strike 2/day, Aggressive Abjuration

lvl 3: Expanded Knowledge, Reduced Spell Failure 10%, Pierce Magical Concealment

lvl 4: Expanded Knowledge, Extended Spell Strength, Dispelling Strike 4/day

lvl 5: Expanded Knowledge, Reduced Spell Failure 15%, Pierce Magical Protection, Flexible Abjurer

lvl 6: Expanded Knowledge, Dispelling Strike 1/round, Scribe Rune of Protection

Spells Per Day
Level 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th
1st 2 1 - - -
2nd 3 2 1 - -
3rd 4 3 2 - -
4th 5 4 3 2 -
5th 5 5 4 3 -
6th 5 5 5 4 2

Spells: An Archanamach with a high enough constitution score can cast arcane spells as shown in the tables above. An Archanamach casts his spells off of a specific class list; he can cast any of these spells spontaneously. An Arcanamach has a caster level equal to three times his class level.

Expanded Knowledge: Pick any one spell of a level you can cast off of the Sorcerer/Wizard, Ranger, or Assassin list and add it to your Archanamach spell list.

Reduced Spell Failure: You know how this works.

Tenacious Spells: Add a number equal to the character’s class level to the DC to dispel the character’s Archanamach spells.

Efficient Slayer: Instead of the normal -4 penalty to caster level for spells and spell-like abilities from his Mage Slayer feat, an Archanamach takes only a -2 penalty. Ignore this ability if using Races of War rules.

Mage Bound: In order to take levels in Archanamach you must willingly serve an arcane caster capable of casting fifth level spells that knows the secrets of training the ancient order of assassins and guardians, the Archanamach. If you stop following your patron mage you retain all Archanamach abilities, but can take no further levels in the class until you return to the service of your patron or find a new one.

Protect Patron: When a sufficiently powerful Mage takes you on as his guardian he will inscribe a unique rune of protection somewhere on his body and its counter-part in the same area on your body. This rune allows you to change any hostile spell’s target from your patron mage to you if you are within 5 feet per class level; for the purposes of a spell blocked in this manner you are considered to have both mettle and evasion.

Furthermore, if your patron mage is within the range of your threatened squares you may attempt to deflect any melee or ranged attack made against him as an attack of opportunity; to deflect the attack you roll a normal melee attack roll and compare it to the attack you are deflecting, if your result is higher than the attack is considered to have missed, if your result is 1 to 4 lower than the incoming attack you take normal damage regardless of whether or not the attack would have beaten your AC, miss chance still applies if applicable, if your result is 5 or more lower than the incoming attack the attack is resolved as normal and you are disarmed(if possible).

Aggressive Abjuration: Starting at 2nd level add a number equal to the character’s class level to the character’s dispel checks.

Dispelling Strike: Twice per day, an Archanamach of 2nd level or higher can attempt a dispelling strike with a normal melee attack. If he hits, he deals normal damage, and the victim is subject to a targeted Greater Dispel Magic. At level 4 the Archanamach can use this ability 4 times per day, and at level 6 he may use it once per round.

Pierce Magical Concealment: At 3rd level you gain Pierce Magical Concealment as a bonus feat, and as an added bonus you may see through the visual portion of any Glamer or Figment as if it weren’t there; you may chose see or not see the Glamer or Figment as a non-action. In addition, the caster level inherent in this feat penalty is reduced to -2.

Extended Spell Strength: Beginning at 4th level, the duration of any spell the Archanmach casts on himself is doubled; as if by the extend spell metamagic feat, but without any adjustment to the casting time or spell slot used. Spells that target multiple targets are effected by this power, but only the Archanamch gains the extended duration. Spells effected by this power can be extended as normal, for a total of 4 times the normal duration.

Pierce Magical Protection: At 5th level you gain the Pierce Magical Protection as a Bonus Feat. In addition, the caster level inherent in this feat penalty is reduced to -2.

Flexible Abjurer: At 6th level An Archanamch can lose a number of spell slots whose combined levels equal 5 or more to cast a Greater Dispel Magic.

Scribe Rune of Protection: At 6th level you gain the ability to Scribe the counter-part of the special rune of protection on your body. By scribing the rune on a willing creature, a process taking several minutes, you designate them your patron mage for the purposes of your protect patron ability; the recipient of the rune does not need to be able to cast arcane spells to benefit from it.

-----------------

Archanamach Spell List

1st level
Anticipate Teleport, Detect Secret Doors, Disguise Self, Enlarge Person, Expeditious Retreat, Feather Fall, Protection from Alignment, Touch of Idiocy

2nd level
Animal’s Attribute, Blur, Barkskin, Break Enchantment, Darkvision, Dispel Magic, Find Traps, Ghoul Touch, Invisibility, Knock, Locate Object, Resist Energy, Swift Fly, Swift Haste, Swift Invisibility, Wraith Strike

3rd level
Arcane Sight, Clairaudience/Clairvoyance, Detect Scrying, Displacement, Fly, Lesser Globe of Invulnerability, Haste, Magic Circle Against Alignment, Mystic Aegis(PHBII), Nondetection, Remove Curse, Protection from Energy, Slashing Dispel(PHBII), Stifle Spell(PHBII)

4th level
Death Ward, Dimension Door, Dimensional Anchor, Feeblemind, Field of Resistance(PHBII), Freedom of Movement, Greater Invisibility, Implacable Pursuer(CD), Locate Creature, Mana Flux(PHBII), Reciprocal Gyre(CA), Scrying, Spell Resistance, Wall of Ice

5th level
Antimagic Field, Globe of Invulnerability, Metal Skin(CA), Passwall, Slay Living, Teleport, Wall of Stone

-------------------------

Second I have the revised Incarnate(from Magic of Incarnum) that Bigode used to be fairly excited about. I actually just finished it today, I forgot I had it.

BAB: Half
Saves: Good, Poor, Good
Hit Die: d6
Class Skills(2+Int mondifier per level, x4 at first level): Choose any 6 Class Skills

lvl 1Incarnate Avatar; Totem Chakra
lvl 2 Incarnate Knowledge; Crown, Hands, Feat Chakras
lvl 3 Chakra Focus
lvl 4 Soulmeld Capacity+1
lvl 5 Incarnate Knowledge, Rapid Meld shaping1/day; Arms, Brow Chakras
lvl 6 Chakra Focus
lvl 7 Shoulders, Waist, Throat Charkas
lvl 8 Chakra Focus
lvl 9 Incarnate Knowledge
lvl 10 Rapid Meld Shaping2/day
lvl 11
lvl 12 Heart Chakra
lvl 13 Incarnate Knowledge
lvl 14 Soulmeld Capacity+2
lvl 15 Rapid Meld Shaping3/day
lvl 16 Soul Chakra
lvl 17 Incarnate Knowledge
lvl 18
lvl 19
lvl 20 Rapid Meld Shaping 4/day

Incarnate Avatar: Every Incarnate has an inner avatar that they can invest essentia into to become more powerful. When essentia is invested into the Incarnate Avatar the Incarnate’s appearance changes to more resemble their avatar. Essentia can be invested into the Incarnate Avatar like a soulmeld, doing so has one of the following results: Every point of essentia invested increases skills bonuses, saving throws, attack rolls, or armor class by 1 or damage rolls by 2. All bonuses are untyped.

The Incarnate Avatar can be bound to the Soul chakra like a soulmeld can, this takes up one of your chakra binds and the Incarnate Avatar is considered to be occupying and bound to the Soul chakra; when bound to your Soul chakra your Incarnate Avatar gives you immunity to daze, paralysis, polymorphing(including petrification), and stun, as well as any supernatural effect that would slow* you. Your physical self now fully embodies the form of your avatar.

*as the effect inflicted by the Slow spell.

Incarnate Knowledge: As an Incarnate gains power and experience they unlock secrets of the soul. At levels 2, 5 and every 4 levels afterward an Incarnate gains access to one of the following abilities.

Bonus Essentia: You gain essentia equal to your Con modifier, if your Con modifier goes up permanently you gain more essentia to reflect this.

Extra Chakra Bind: Your number of available chakra binds increases by 1. You may choose this ability multiple times.

Unlock Soulmeld: Your soulmelds may occupy, and be bound to, multiple chakras. Soulmelds may only occupy chakras listed in their description.

Widen Chakra: You may have any number of soulmelds occupy or be bound to a chakra that you choose at the time that you gain this ability. You may choose this ability multiple times.

Chakra Focus: You may invest one point of essentia directly into one of your chakras chosen at the time you gain this ability. Any soulmelds or magic items occupying that chakra are treated as having one additional point of essentia invested in them. You must be able to bind the chakra you choose for this ability.

Rapid Meld Shaping: You may unshape and unbind all soulmelds and reshape and rebind all soulmelds as you normally do at the beginning of the day.

The available essentia progression is equal to class level until level 15 where you start gaining 2 points per level.

You start with 2 soulmelds and get another one every odd level.

You start with one charka bind and gain another one every third level.
Last edited by Calibron on Sat May 10, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

A remake of the Suel Arcanamach I presume? I never was a fan of the first (officla) guy, but this version might get me to warm up to the concept.
Still, I'm always confused as to its role.
Mageslayer extraordinaire?
Bodyguard?
Mage-knight?
Red mage?

And are you sure the bonuses of Incarnate Avatar should be untyped?
I realized it has a sucky set of HD basics, but with those floating bonuses doesn't the RNG get shoved violently every which way as the character sees fit?
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

I'll same game challenge it and find out in a while.
Bigode
Duke

Post by Bigode »

YAY!

OK ... interesting, at least widen chakra's found its way into my own rewrite. May I ask why did you take out the incarnate's features (namely, radiance and perfect meldshaper)? And, on the arcanamach, you haven't said which CL its features use (I hope it isn't class level, but wouldn't expect that from you), and the feat CL penalties should be -0 straight away. Interested in the Challenge, of course.
Hans Freyer, s.b.u.h. wrote:A manly, a bold tone prevails in history. He who has the grip has the booty.
Huston Smith wrote:Life gives us no view of the whole. We see only snatches here and there, (...)
brotherfrancis75 wrote:Perhaps you imagine that Ayn Rand is our friend? And the Mont Pelerin Society? No, those are but the more subtle versions of the Bolshevik Communist Revolution you imagine you reject. (...) FOX NEWS IS ALSO COMMUNIST!
LDSChristian wrote:True. I do wonder which is worse: killing so many people like Hitler did or denying Christ 3 times like Peter did.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Oh that's odd, must have been a copy/paste error. Will fix momentarily. I think I'll get started on that same game challenge. Now where was that list...
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

These challenges can take longer than I thought. I've only finished the 5th level one so far. Won't be working on this again until late Sunday either.

Okay here’s the stat block for the fifth level Human Incarnate I’m going to use. I call him Dirk.

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 5d6+15(35hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 60ft.(12 squares)
Armor Class: 21(+1 Dex, +2 Dodge, +6 Breastplate+1, +2 Steel Shield)
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+6
Attack: Morningstar+6(1d8+4), or Sling+3(1d4+4)
Full Attack: Morningstar+6(1d8+4), or Sling+3(1d4+4)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Soulmelds
Special Qualities: Incarnate Avatar, Widen Chakra(Totem), Essentia(8)
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 18, Con 16, Dex 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 8
Skills: Stealth +7, Disable Device+8, Awareness+8
Feats: Juggernaut, Expanded Soulmeld Capacity, Elusive Target
Environment:
Organization:
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Challenge Rating: 5

He also has Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and Boots of Expeditious Retreat

Built off a 28 point-buy, he’s more or less a front-line fighter in combat, though he has other viable options. Since he’s for some reason taking on an ass-load of deadly challenges solo I gave him class skills to reflect the needs of a loner adventurer.

Dirk vs Huge Animated Iron Statue

The way I had this setup was that they were sealed in a 100’x100’ room so he actually had to fight it instead of just sneaking past it or running around it, both of which would be trivially easy. Dirk starts the fight with his usual ruins exploring setup of Landshark Boots bound to Totem(giving him two 1d6+str claws with an enhancement bonus equal to the essentia invested, the ability to use four claw attacks on one opponent as a standard action if he gets a five foot or higher jump, and a competence bonus on jump checks), Keen Eye Lenses(insight bonus to Spot), Theft Gloves bound to Hands(insight bonus to disable device and slight of hand, and trapfinding), and Worg Pelt(competence bonus to hide and move silently)

Round 1
Initiative: Dirk
Dirk Won initiative in the first battle and charged the statue from the other end of the room, putting 4 points of essentia into his landshark boots and 2 into his incarnate avatar towards damage. He hits getting 16 and applying 6 of it. The Statue misses on its tuen, but when Dirk moves back so he can get a running start to get off all four of his claw attacks the statue hits him for a painful 13 damage. Dirk tears into the statue, hitting with all four claws and even getting a critical hit(though unfortunately the statue is immune) applying a total of 32 damage(yes he rolled a total of 72 damage). Again Dirk is dodges the statue’s attack, but gets smacked down by the AoO for 17 damage; he still manages to do a nice 30 damage to the statue.

Desperate now Dirk uses once per day rapid meldshaping to drop his Keeneye Lenses and Theft Golves to replace them with Rage Claws bound to Hands(Die Hard feat, plus attack and damage bonuses when under 0 hp) and Wormtail Belt(Natural Armor). He puts 2 points of essentia into his Wormtail Belt, bring his AC up to 25, and 1 into his Rage Claws so that he’ll die at -13hp instead of -10.

Thanks to his Soulmeld switch out he avoided the statue’s AoO, which would have at least knocked him out otherwise, and hits with 3 of his attacks doing 25 damage. Dirk avoids the statue’s attacks one last time and hits with all four claws, dropping it below 0 hp and destroying it.

tldr: He went all out melee offensive and survived by the skin of his teeth, blowing his once per day power during the fight.

Round 2
This time Dirk is more cautious and uses his Rapid Meld Shaping right off the bat and shapes Sighting Gloves(bonus ranged damage), Dissolving Spittle(acid ranged touch attack), Fellmist Robe(nonadjacent concealment), and Wormtail Belt(Natural AC). He puts 3 essentia into Dissolving Spittle putting the damage at 4d6, 1 essentia into sighting gloves for 2 extra damage, 2 essentia into Fellmist Robe for 30% concealment, 2 into Incarnate Avatar towards damage and none into Wormtail Belt for a total AC of 23. He moves within 30 feet and manages spit on it for 20 damage. The statue responds with a critical threat that blows past concealment for 13 damage. It goes on like this for a few more rounds, the statue only landing one more blow, until Dirk whittles it down to destruction.

Round 3
Plays out like a bizarro version of round 1. This time the statue isn’t getting all crap attack rolls and knocks Dirk down to 4 hp within a few rounds while it still has 61 hp remaining. Dirk uses Rapid Meld Shaping as before. And while Dirk scores another 4 good hits, the statue catches him with it’s AoO despite his improved AC and knocks him down to -11 hp; were it not for his rage claws he would be dead. Dirk decides to cool it on the flying leaps and just attack with his hand-claws, and bolster his AC a little bit more with his Incarnate Avatar. Unfortunately for him he misses his first attack and the reduced damage from his second leaves him only rolling ten damage, negated by the statue’s hardness. This padded Sumo goes on for a while, the statue consistently missing and Dirk only plinking off tiny bits of damage every round; until the statue rolls a lucky 19 and splats our hero’s already mortally wounded body into the fine paste that is -30 hitpoints.

2 bare wins
1 loss
Even Match

------------

Dirk vs Basilisk

I’m going to assume this happens outside so I’ll have Dirk in his wilderness setup. Keeneye Lenses, Hunter’s Circlet(bonus to heal and survival), Shedu Crown bound to Totem(immune to bulrush, resistance to mind-effecting effects, and Trample), and Thunderstep Boots bound to Feet(sonic damage added to charge, overrun, or trample and fort save or stun for 1 round).

Round 1
No initiative rolled
Dirk manages to see the Basilisk hiding in the oasis from 230 feet away. He proceeds to hide and approach at half speed. He sneaks right up on the creature and promptly turns to stone getting a bad roll on his fort save.

Round 2
Initiative: Basilisk
On the second round the basilisk spots Dirk from 90 feet away as he sneaks up on it, and runs toward Dirk trying to stone him with its gaze attack. As Dirk feels the unsettling effect of passing a fortitude save he shifts 3 essentia into his Shedu Crown, 3 essentia into his Thunderstep Boots, and 2 essentia into his Incarnate Avatar towards saving throws, and Tramples the lizard into the sand, doing 17 damage and stunning the creature. Again feeling the non-effect of passing a saving throw despite the fact that the creature is obviously stunned Dirk realizes it may be a gaze attack and closes his eyes as he tramples the Basilisk again for 14 damage. Shaking off the stun the basilisk charges Dirk but fails to get its teeth into him. Dirk uses a listen check to find the basilisk’s square and tramples it into unconsciousness, but not before getting a nasty bite for 8 damage.

Round 3
This time Dirk manages to sneak up to trample range again. He passes his saving throw as he comes within range of the basilisk’s gaze and does 32 damage. Dirk having run back out of it’s charge range the Basilisk runs up to Dirk and tries to stone him, but fails. Dirk tramples the Basilisk again for 22 damage, knocking it out and nearly killing it.

1 loss
2 wins

Likely Victory

------------

Dirk vs A Large Fire Elemental

I’m going to assume this is happening in a relatively cool spot on the plane of fire(only 1d6 fire damage per round). So I have him in a Planar Chausible(fire resistance), Winter Mask bound to Totem(touch attack that fatigues and does non-lethal cold damage and Bite attack with cold damage added), Worg Pelt bound to Hands(free trip after a bite like a wolf), and Keeneye Lenses.

Round 1
Initiative: Fire Elemental
The Fire Elemental starts the round by charging and manages a critical threat doing 12 damage. Dirk manages a bite for 10 damage, and trips the elemental. The elemental gets back up and is subject to an AoO doing 32 damage. It hits back for 10 damage. Dirk fails to get a bite in, but the elemental connects once for 9 damage. Now with single digit hps Dirk is worried and uses his Rapid Meld Shaping and drops Keeneye Lenses in favor of Rage Claws for that negative hp cushion, but fails to bite the elemental again. The elemental connects with both slams and despite his best efforts Dirk is reduced to charred hamburger.

Round 2
Initiative: Fire Elemental
The elemental again begins with a charge and connects for 6 damage. Dirk tries for a bite, but fails. The elemental scores a critical hit for a nasty 15 damage. Dirk strikes back with a touch attack for 15 non-lethal damage, but fails to fatigue the elemental. The elemental manages another critical hit and connects with its second slam as well, putting Dirk past -10.

Round 3
Initiative: Fire elemental
Another charge starts off the fight with an nasty 12 damage hit on Dirk. Dirk retaliates with a 17 damage bite that knocks the elemental off its…feet(?)…well knocks it prone anyway. Dirk fails to land another bit with his AoO, but luckily the elemental also whiffs his attack. Dirk bites for another 17 damage and the elemental goes down again. Once more dirk fails to take advantage of his AoO, the elemental however scores a crit for 14 damage.

Down to single digit hps Dirk uses his Rapid Meld Shaping to drop the Worg Pelt and the Keeneye Lenses, for Rage Claws bound to Totem, and Wormtail Belt. Dirk’s bite as well as both of his claws fail to connect. The elementals slams also miss. Dirk only manages to connect with one claw attack for 5 damage. Again the elemental misses. Dirk bites for 11 damage, but can’t attempt a trip since he no longer has Worg Pelt shaped and bound. The elemental continues its string of failures. Dirk connects with his bite, and gets a critical threat with one of his claws for a total of 18 damage, finally destroying the elemental.

1 Win
2 Losses

Probable Loss

-----------------

Dirk vs Manticore

Back in his wilderness gear, Keeneye Lenses, Hunter’s Circlet, Shedu Crown bound to Totem, and Thunderstep Boots bound to Feet, Dirk doesn’t seem like he has a chance without at least using Rapid Meld Shaping.

Round 1
Initiative not rolled
Dirk sees the Manticore from very far off considering he rolled a natural twenty on his spot check on top of his impressive bonuses. Not recognizing the creature, but not liking the look of it Dirk attempts to hide, but the Manticore spots him. 3 spikes from the first volley find their mark for a staggering 26 damage. Scared out of his mind Dirk uses Rapid Meld Shaping, Worg Pelt Bound to Feet(land speed increase), Rage Claws, Wormtail Belt Bound to Totem, and Windcloak(ranged DR /magic). Dirk cranks his AC up to 29, his land speed up to 75’ and books it. He immediately outdistances the Manticore with nothing but some bad puncture wounds a bruised ego.

Round 2
Dirk sees the manticore from quite a distance again and tries to hide, but fails miserably. Dirk runs over, takes out his sling, and manages to strike to Manticore for 8 damage. The beast retaliates with a volley of spikes doing 12 damage. Mildly freaked out, Dirk uses his Rapid Meld Shaping, getting, ironically enough, Manticore Belt bound to Totem(decent ranged attack, and bonus to spot and jump), Wormtail Belt, Wind Cloak, and Rage Claws bound to Totem. Dirk runs as close to the Manticore as he can get, and retaliates with his own volley of spikes; hitting with two spikes for a total of 18 damage. The Manticore only gets one hit from its next volley, doing only 1 damage thanks to Dirk’s Wind Cloak. Dirk’s volley is more successful, 2 hits for 16 damage. Every spike in the manticore’s next volley misses. Dirk gets 1 hit for 8 damage. The Manticore scores one critical hit out of it’s volley doing 9 damage. Dirk hits the Manticore with two spikes for 17 damage, knocking it out. The subsequent falling damage kills it.

Round 3
Initiative: Manticore
The first volley scores 4 hits does exactly 35 damage. Staggered Dirk repeats his retreat from round 1, only 1 hit point away from having been the beast’s lunch.

1 Win
2 Losses

Probable Loss

-----------------

Dirk vs Mummy

Since this is likely happening in some undead infested tomb I’m equipping Dirk for such an event. Armguards of Disruption Bound to Arms(undead damaging touch attack, bonus to AC and Saves versus undead), Apparition Ribbon(re-roll miss chance versus incorporeal and damage bonus versus incorporeal), Strongheart Vest(reduce ability damage), Keeneye Lenses bound to Brow(see invisibility).

Round 1
Dirk Makes his save against Despair and moves into melee with the mummy making a touch attack and doing 10 damage. The Mummy misses. Dirk hits for another 9 damage. The Mummy misses again thanks to the Armguards of disruption and the Incarnate Avatar. Dirk whiffs the touch attack. The Mummy hits for 14 damage, but dirk easily resists the mummy rot. Dirk hits home for 11 damage. Mummy misses. So does Dirk. Mummy Misses again, but Dirk hits home for 10 damage. Mummy fails to hit, but Dirk doesn’t do much better, inflicting only 2 damage. It goes on for another couple rounds, with the mummy failing to land a blow and Dirk winning.

Round 2
Dirk is again unaffected by the Despair and hits for 6 damage. Mummy hits for 12. Dirk’s damage is negated by the mummy’s DR. Mummy Misses, but Dirk only does 2 damage. Mummy gets a confirmed Crit for 28 Damage and knocks Dirk out of the fight.

Round 3
Initiative: Mummy
Mummy Charges and hits for 13 damage. Dirk barely makes the save versus Despair and hits for 5 damage. After several round of ineffectual flailing the lands another blow for 12 damage. Dirk, who has meanwhile been whittling down the mummy’s hp, uses Rapid Meldshaping in order to drop Apparition Ribbon, and Strongheart Vest in favor of Rage Claws and Vitality Belt(Extra hp), and continues the fight. And it’s lucky he did since the mummy struck for him for 12 damage in the next round, and again in the following round for 13 damage; but Dirk’s still in the fight at -5 hp. Not for long though, since the mummy hits yet again the next round for 14 damage. Putting Dirk at -19 beyond the threshold of death.

1 Win
2 Losses

Even Match

-----------------

Dirk vs A Phase Spider

Wilderness setup to begin with(Keeneye Lenses, Hunter’s Circlet, Shedu Crown bound to Totem, and Thunderstep Boots bound to Feet).

Round 1
Phase Spider gets surprise round managing to hit Dirk for 9 damage, but not poisoning him.
Initiative: Phase Spider
The Phase Spider bites for 9 damage once more and this time poisons Dirk, doing 2 Con damage and further lowering his hp by 5, before popping back into the ethereal plane. Not really knowing what to do Dirk uses Rapid Meld Shaping: Rage Claws bound to totem, Incarnate Weapon bound to Arms(Magic Weapon with Stun ability), Wormtail Belt, and Mantle of Flame(attackers take fire damage). Confused, he charges his Incarnate weapon with it’s stun ability and readies an action to attack the spider if it shows up again. The readied action fails to connect when the Phase Spider shows up, but so do the creatures jaws. The same thing happens next round. This time when the Phase Spider pops back Dirk connects for 13 damage and stuns the Phase Spider. Next round Dirk uses his move action to charge his weapon with its stun power and scores a critical hit on the Phase spider for 28 damage. The Phase Spider Shakes off the stun and attempts a bite before going ethereal and scurrying off.

Round 2
Phase Spider gets surprise round managing to hit Dirk for 9 damage, and poisoning him doing the maximum Con damage of 8. Since Dirk Con drops below 11 all of his soulmelds unshape and he is transformed into a well equipped commoner.
Initiative: Phase Spider
The Spider misses it’s bite, but sensing its prey’s weakness sticks around to finish him off. Dirk begins to run away as fast as he can, but the Phase Spider’s AoO catches him, doing 8 damage and rendering Dirk unconscious.

Round 3
Phase Spider gets surprise round, but fails to accomplish anything.
Seeing his attacker is too big to trample Dirk uses his Rapid Meld Shaping to drop Shedu Crown and Thunderstep boots in favor of Three-Fold Mask of the Chimera bound to Totem(Three bite attacks, immunity to flanking, and bonus on search and spot) and Girallon Arms Bound to Totem(four claw attacks, and bonus to climb and grapple). With a savage full attack he hits with all 3 bite attacks and 2 of the claw attacks doing a whopping 58 damage and killing the spider instantly.

2 wins
1 loss
Likely Victory

---------------

Dirk vs Troll

Since trolls are meant to be fought in closets I’ll taking this on in a 15x10 room. It would be trivially easy to kite it with Worg Pelt and Manticore Belt and then finish it off with Dissolving Spittle, or just a campfire, once it’s unconscious. I’m going to go full on closet troll myself for this battle and shape Threefold Mask of the Chimera bound to Totem, Girallon Arms bound to Totem, Rage Claws, and Wormtail Belt.

Round 1
Dirk hits with two bites and three claws for an even 70 damage. Nothing else needs to be said.

Round 2
Dirk hits with all three bites and one claw doing 53 damage. The Troll surprisingly fails it’s save versus massive damage and dies.

Round 3
Initiative: Troll
Power attacking for 4 the Troll hits with both claws and rends for a total of 51 damage.

2 wins
1 loss

In Closet
Probable Victory

Out of Closet
Definite Victory

-------------------

Dirk vs Chasm

Unless the Chasm is over 360 feet wide Dirk can fly over it. If it is that wide Dirk can boost his climb skill to +22 factoring in ACP.

Definite Victory

-------------------

Dirk vs Moat Filled with Acid

Again limited flight beats this challenge effortlessly. Otherwise Dirk could generate acid resistance 40 and enough defacto hp to survive the trip if he had to actually get something out of the moat.

Definite Victory

-------------------

Dirk vs Locked Door Behind a Number of Pit Traps

Theft Gloves+Truthseeker Goggles+Airstep Sandals make this challenge trivial. Alternatively Dissolving Spitting+Truthseeker Goggles+Blink Shirt also wins the challenge without effort.

Definite Victory

-------------------

Dirk vs 2 Centaurs

Dirk is back in his wilderness gear(which has repeatedly shown to not be that useful in the wilderness) for this one.

Round 1
Initiative: Both Centaurs
The Centaur’s both miss their mark and trot away a bit where they think I won’t be able to get to them. Dirk uses Rapid Meldshaping since his current setup is little use against creatures larger than him: Landshark Boots bound to Totem and Windcloak in place of Shedu Crown and Thunderstep Boots. Dirk takes a double move and gets close the centaurs while still getting cover from a large tree. The Centuar’s move into a better firing position, but still fail to hit. Dirk leaps onto the nearer centaur and tears into him with three of his claws dealing 50 damage and killing him dead. The other Centaur takes another poor shot and runs away. The terrain isn’t open enough to charge so Dirk takes a double move and positions himself right next to the Centaur. The Centaur drops his bow and takes a full attack, managing to hit with his longsword for 18 damage. Dirk move back a bit, avoiding the AoO, and gets a running leap onto centaur hitting with all four claws and even getting a critical hit for a total of 80 damage.

Round 2
Dirk uses Rapid Meld Shaping to drop Shedu Crown and Thunderstep Boots in favor of Manticore Belt bound to Totem and Sighting Gloves. He moves within 30 feet and launches 2 spikes at each Centaur, one is struck with both spikes for 25 damage and the other with only one spike for 13 damage. One of the centaurs manages a hit for 12 damage and both flee. Dirk follows the more wounded centaur and fires a volley of spikes, 2 hit and one crits for a total of 37 damage. The remaining centaur fires, hitting for 13 damage, and runs away. Dirk moves 60 closer to the centaur and fires a volley, hitting with only one spike for 12 damage. The centaur fires and misses, and is killed by the next volley of spikes.

Round 3
Initiative: Centuars
Both Centaurs hit for a total of 24 damage. Dirk uses Rapid Meld Shaping to gain Rage Claws, Landshark Boots bound to Totem, Wind Cloak, and Wormtail Belt. He takes a double move and grabs some cover near the centaurs. The centaurs get into better firing position, but still miss. Dirk leaps at one of the centaur and hits with all four claws for 64 damage. The centaur misses and runs. Dirk gets in close. The centaur takes a full attack, but scores no hits. Dirk takes a full attack and hits with both claws for 30 damage.

3 wins
0 losses

Near Definite Victory

---------------------

Dirk vs A Howler/Allip tag team

Since undead and demons are involved I’m going to assume this is in a evil necromancer’s lair. So I’ll be starting with the same setup as with the mummy(Armguards of Disruption Bound to Arms, Apparition Ribbon, Strongheart Vest, Keeneye Lenses bound to Brow).

Round 1
Surprise Round for the Allip, Dirk makes his save against the spirits Babbling but takes 2 points of wisdom drain from its touch attack.
Initiative: Howler, Dirk, Allip
The Howler charges in, power attacking for 6, and bites into Dirk for 22 damage. Dirk reaches out and shoves his hand right through the Allip, accomplishing nothing; then uses his Rapid Meld Shaping to drop the Keeneye Lenses and Strongheart Vest in favor of Rage Claws bound to Totem and Mantle of Flame. The allip misses its touch attack and retreats into the floor. The Howler hits with its bite, but it’s quills don’t find purchase; it does 12 damage to Dirk, but takes 9 fire damage in return. Dirk manages to strike the howler with one claw, doing 18 damage. The Allip pops up and tags Dirk for 1 wisdom drain. The Howler fails to connect at all. Dirk tears into the howler with both claws for 33 damage killing it. The Allip hits Dirk for another point of wisdom drain and retreats into the floor. Dirk readies an action to strike the Allip when it approaches him, but fails to overcome the incorporeality miss chance; the Allip drops Dirk down to one point of wisdom with its next attack. Dirk finally strikes the Allip for 14 damage. The Allip gets a critical hit next turn doing 1 wisdom drain and 2 negative energy damage, dropping Dirk down to 0 Wisdom and -1 hit points.

Round 2
Surprise Round for the Allip, Dirk makes his save against the spirits Babbling but takes 2 points of wisdom drain from its touch attack.
Initiative: Dirk, Allip, Howler
Dirk reaches out and damages the Allip for 24 damage. The Allip fails its touch attack just as the Howler fails its charge. Dirk misses the Allip and vice versa, but the Howler manages a bite for 14 damage. Dirk gets a critical hit against the Allip for 50 damage, destroying it. alot. The Howler connects with one of its quills for 4 damage and it lodges itself into Dirks arm. Dirk strikes the Howler with his longsword for 15 damage. The Howler bites and flails, but to no avail. Dirk whiffs the attack with his longsword. Howler bites for another 8 damage. Dirk misses with his longsword and uses Rapid Meld Shaping to gain Rage Claws, Three-Fold Mask of the Chimera bound to Totem, Girallon Arms bound to Totem, and Wormtail Belt. The Howler fails to accomplish anything. Dirk connects with all three bites and 2 claws for 55 damage.

Round 3
Surprise Round for the Allip, Dirk makes his save against the spirits Babbling and avoids the Allip’s touch attack.
Initiative: Howler, Allip, Dirk
The Howler misses it charge, but the Allip tags Dirk for 1 wisdom drain and retreats into the floor. Dirk manages to land a critical longsword hit on the Howler for 29 damage. The Howler can’t manage to beat Dirk’s AC, but the Allip gets a critical hit for 1 wisdom drain and 1 negative energy damage. Dirk strikes the Howler again, doing 16 damage and knocking it out of the fight. The Allip misses its next attack and retreats into the floor. Dirk readies an action which hits the Allip for 27 damage when it pops back up to attack him, destroying it.

2 wins
1 loss

Likely Victory

--------------------

Dirk vs A Pit Filled With Medium Scorpions

Since this is a pit I’ll assume the 6 scorpions aren’t spaced really far apart. Dirk’ll start this challenge out in his wilderness gear.

Round 1
Dirk tramples and kills or knocks unconscious every scorpion in the pit on his first turn, taking no damage.

Round 2
Initiative: Scorpions
The first scorpion hits for 2 damage and fails to initiate a grapple. Dirk tramples all the scorpians to death in one round again, avoiding every attack of opportunity.

Round 3
Initiative: Scorpions
Two of the scorpions hit for a total of 18 damage, and one of them manages to initiate a grapple. Dirk escapes from the grapple. I had 5 of the scorpions use aid another actions this turn, letting one scorp hit for 5 damage and initiate a grapple. Dirk fails to escape the grapple. Dirk uses Rapid Meld Shaping to gain Girallon Arms Bound to Totem, Rage Claws bound to Totem, Mantle of Flame, and Astral Vambraces(DR /Magic). The scorpions fail to do anything. Dirk escapes from the grapple. One scorpion hits dirk for 0 damage and dies from the fire damage. Dirk hits one scorpion for 16 damage and kills it. One scorpion hits for 0 damage and is killed by the fire damage. Dirk kills 2 scorpions, and kills the last one on his next turn.

3 wins
0 losses

Definite Victory

-------------------

Dirk vs A Grimlock Assault Team

I’ll assume this is happening in underground tunnels so Dirk will have shaped Basilisk Mask bound to Totem(low-light vision, darkvision, and a temporary stoning gaze), Airstep Sandals bound to Feet(limited flight), Incarnate Weapon, and Keeneye Lenses.

Round 1
Dirk manages to spot 1 of the grimlocks from 90 feet away, and failing his untrained knowledge check for common knowledge about these creatures, tries to hide and approach them undetected. As he gets closer he spots 2 of the other grimlocks, but of course when he gets within 40 feet all 6 grimlocks see him as well.
Surprise Round for 3 Grimlocks: each Grimlock takes a partial charge action, but only one of them connects for 9 damage.
Dirk gets a critical threat against one of the creatures for 12 damage, knocking it out of the fight. Surprisingly, 4 out of the 5 remaining Grimlocks hit, 2 of them getting critical threats, for a total of 40 damage. Dirk is dead.

Round 2
This time Dirk spots every Grimlock except 1 from 90 feet away and manages to pass his check for common knowledge about grimlocks this time. Dirk takes out his sling and fires a stone that misses the grimlocks, but clatters around in the area where the grimlocks are. Fearing themselves under ranged attack, but not knowing from where, the grimlocks break up into two groups of three and head down the tunnel in opposite directions.
Initiative: Grimlocks
All three grimlocks somehow manage to hit Dirk for a total of 26 damage. Dirk uses his Rapid Meld Shaping for Three-Fold Mask of the Chimera bound to Totem, Rage Claws bound to Totem, Diadem of Purelight(light source), and Wormtail Belt, and kills the three grimlocks each with one bite from his mask. The other group had meanwhile made a double move back toward the fight, but that still left them 90 feet away. Dirk moves to just outside of their double move range and waits for them. The grimlocks approach again. Dirk takes a 5’ step and kills the 2 grimlocks he can reach. The last grimlock misses his attack and manages to survive Dirks attack when Dirk rolls bellow a 6 5 times in a row. The grimlock misses his strike again, and dies this time when Dirk gets a critical hit on one of his bites.

Round 3
Dirk spots 3 of the grimlocks from 90 feet away and passes his Int check for common knowledge again. Dirk strikes one of the grimlocks for 5 damage this time, and the grimlocks split into 2 groups again.
Dirk attacks with his sling again, missing, and retreats outside of the grimlocks charge range. The Grimlocks call out to the other group and rejoin them back at their original spot. Dirk moves back moves toward the grimlocks until he’s within the maximum range of his darkvision and takes another shot with his sling, missing once more. The grimlocks all take a double move toward Dirk. Dirk attacks with his sling, missing, and backs up out of the grimlocks charge range, drops his sling and takes up his incarnate weapon. The grimlocks take another double move(having no evidence so far the Dirk is twice as fast as they are) until they’re 10’ away from Dirk. Dirk moves up and strikes one of the grimlocks for 12 damage, knocking it out. The grimlocks move to surround Dirk, one of them provoking a criticial AoO for 27 damage, and all fail to hit Dirk. Dirk misses. 3 of the grimlocks hit, two getting critical threats, doing 19 damage. Dirk crits one of the girmlocks for 26 damage. After a few more rounds Dirk finishes off the rest of the grimlocks without taking any more damage.

2 wins
1 loss

Likely Victory

-----------------

Dirk vs Cleric of Hextor and Zombies

So here’s the stat block for the Cleric

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 5d8+5(31 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20ft.(4 squares)
Armor Class: 23(+2 Dodge, +9 +1Full Plate, +2 Steel Shield)
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+5
Attack: +1Warhammer+7(1d8+3), or Sling+3(1d4+2)
Full Attack: +1Warhammer+7(1d8+3), or Sling+3(1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks: Turn Undead
Special Qualities:
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +7
Abilities: Str 14, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 12
Skills:
Feats: Improved Turning, Expert Tactician, Elusive Target
Environment:
Organization:
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Challenge Rating: 5

Spells
1st: Shield of Faith, Sanctuary, Entropic Shield, Divine Favor
2nd: Owl’s Wisdom, Hold Person*2, Bull’s Strength
3rd: Summon Monster III, Bestow Curse

I’ve set him up with 3 Ogre Zombies from animate dead and a Shadow that he’s controlling with rebuke undead. Seeing as this is a defacto CR9 encounter I don’t expect Dirk to actually win. Nonetheless I’m setting him up with Armguards of Disruption Bound to Hands, Landshark Boots bound to Totem, Rage Claws, and Wormtail Belt.

Round 1
Dirk busts into the chamber and initiative is rolled.
Initiative: Cleric, Dirk, Shadow, Ogres
Cleric casts Owl’s Wisdom, Dirk moves closer to the ogres, but stays outside their partial charge range. The Shadow moves closer to Dirk, but stays underneath the floor. The Ogres shamble towards Dirk. The Cleric casts Hold Person on Dirk, and Dirk fails his save. The Shadow pops up out of the ground and misses its touch attack. One of the Ogres charges and hits Dirk for 17 damage, one of the others also hits for 15 damage. The Cleric sits backs and watches the fun. Dirk fails his save again. The Shadow drains 3 points of strength. The Ogres kill Dirk.

Round 2
Initiative: Dirk, Shadow, Cleric, Ogres
Dirk, shadow, and ogres move, Cleric casts Summon Monster III and calls up a Dretch; the Drecth uses Stinking Cloud, but Dirk makes his save. Dirk Leaps onto the Zombie on the far left, avoiding its AoO, but not the 17 damage AoO of the Ogre next to it, and does 40 damage. The Shadow misses its touch attack. The Cleric casts Owl’s Wisdom on himself. The Dretch takes a double move towards Dirk. All of the Ogres engage in melee, but miss their attacks. Dirk makes a full attack against the wounded Ogre, destroying it, and then takes a five foot step closer to the Cleric. The shadow drains a full 6 points of strength form Dirk. The Cleric casts Hold Person, but Dirk makes his save. The Dretch moves in and claws at Dirk, but misses. One of the Ogres connect for 22 damage. Dirk leaps onto the Cleric, avoiding all AoOs, and does 17 damage. The Cleric hits Dirk with his Warhammer for 6 damage killing him.

Round 3
This time Dirk tries sneaking into the chamber, trading out Armguards of Disruption bound to Hands for Worg Pelt bound to Totem. He manages the get past the ogres and close to the Cleric without being detected. In his surprise round Dirk strikes the Cleric with one of his claws for 16 damage.
Initiative: Dirk, Cleric, Shadow, Ogres
Dirk moves away from the Cleric and takes a running jump back at him, his claws inflicting enough damage to drop the Cleric down to -17. The Shadow and the ogres move toward Dirk. Dirk runs and leaps onto the ogre on the far left, suffering an AoO for 17 Damage, and inflicting 49 damage. The Shadow inflicts 1 point of strength damage, and one of the ogres hits for 22 damage. Dirk destroys the wounded zombie blocking his way and makes he way toward the exit, but gets caught by another AoO for 22 damage and dies.

3 Losses
Definite Loss

I’m going to try that again with 13 human zombies and see how it works out. Dirk is also going to be sporting Shedu Crown bound to Totem, Thunderstep Boots bound to Feet, Adamant Pauldrons(light fortification and DR /alignment), and Wormtail Belt.

Round 1
Initiative: Zombies, Dirk, Cleric
The Zombies Shamble toward Dirk, two that’re near the door charge, but don’t connect. Dirk Tramples 6 of the Zombies and destroys them(minimum damage was 17) taking a total of 4 damage from AoOs. The Cleric casts Summon Monster III and summons a dretch; the dretch uses Stinking Cloud, but Dirk makes his save. Two of the zombies charge, but fail to hit. Dirk tramples and destroys another 4 zombies and the Cleric 27 damage. The Cleric takes a 5’ step and casts Hold Person, but Dirk makes his save. The dretch and one of the zombies charge Dirk and hit for 3 damage, the dretch’s claws penetrating Dirk’s DR 3/Chaos. Dirk tramples the rest of his enemies, finishing them off.

Round 2
Initiative: Dirk, Zombies, Cleric
Dirk starts out by trampling 8 of the zombies, avoiding all AoOs. Three of the zombies charge, doing 7 damage. The Cleric casts Owl’s wisdom on himself. Dirk tramples three more zombies and the Cleric for 25 damage, and stuns the Cleric. Dirk kills the rest of the Zombies.

Round 3
Dirk starts out by trampling 6 of the zombies, avoiding all AoOs. One of the zombies charge, doing 3 damage. The Cleric casts Hold Person, but Dirk makes his save. Dirk tramples one more zombie and the Cleric for 26 damage. The Cleric takes a 5’ step and casts Hold Person, and Dirk fails his save. Dirk makes his next save. The Cleric casts Summon Monster III to summon a Dretch; the Dretch uses Stinking Cloud, but Dirk makes his save. Dirk mops up, suffering 1 AoO for 0 damage.

3 wins
0 losses

Near Definite Win

Dirk about a 65% win percentage, taking into account that he used his 1/day ability, which is the equivalent of letting a Sorcerer switch out all of their spells known as a swift action, for the vast majority of those wins, I think he’s pretty balanced at this level. This is a bit of a relief since low levels were the area where I thought the Incarnate would be off kilter, too much power too early, but happily that isn't the case.
Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Please note that I'm using heavily revised soulmelds for the Incarnate in these tests. Here is the full list of changes. There've been several changes from the last time I've posted this, Bigode(and anyone else interested), so you might want to save this new copy.

Dropped Soulmelds:
Ankheg Breastplate, Arcane Focus, Behir Gorget, Blood Talons, Bloodwar Gautlets, Disenchanter Mask, Dread Carapace, Flame Cincture, Gorgon Mask, Great Raptor Mask, Incarnate Avatar*, Krenshar Mask, Kruthik Claws, Lamia Belt, Lammasu Mantle, Lifebond Vestments, Lucky Dice, Necrocarnum Mantle, Necrocarnum Touch, Necrocarnum Weapon, Phoenix Belt, Unicorn Horn, Urskan Greaves, Ythrak Mask
*Now a Class Ability

Dropped Chakra Binds:
Basilisk Mask(Totem), Brass Mane(Totem), Lammasu Mantle(Shoulders)(Totem), Mauling Gauntlets(Arms), Pegasus Cloak(Totem), Planar Chasuble(Brow), Therapeutic Mantle(Shoulders), Totem Avatar(Heart)(Shoulders)(Totem)

Basic Soulmeld Changes:
Airstep Sandals’ basic function now causes you to fall at the end of your turn, instead of at the end of your move action.

Apparition Ribbon’s basic function now reads “Whenever you attack an incorporeal creature your attack is considered magic for the purposes of affecting incorporeal creatures, and if you miss due to miss chance for incorporealness you may re-roll for miss chance once to see if actually hit.

Armguards of Disruption are no longer restricted to one use per round and are usable as an attack action.

Beast Tamer Circlet gives you Wild Empathy.

Bink Shirt’s Dimension Door effect is not bound by the clause in the Dimension Door spell that disallows you from taking actions after using it.

Brass Mane now gives a bonus to resist Intimidate equal to the bonus it gives the Intimidate checks.

Cerulean Sandals’ basic function now reads “you are affected by a constant Balancing Lorecall effect; if you meldshaper level+ranks in balance+essentia invested in this soulmeld equal or exceed 10 you are treated as having 10 or more ranks in balance for he purpose of the Balancing Lorecall effect.”

Crystal Helm now gives a +3 bonus on Will Saves against Mind-Effecting effects instead of just Charm and Compulsion.

Dissolving Spittle can now be used as an attack action.

Enigma Helm’s nondetection effect DC increases by one point for every point of essentia invested; this is in addition to the Will save bonus. The Will save bonus is now a resistance bonus.

Fearsome Mask gives an initial bonus to Intimidate of +4 instead of +2.

Fellmist Robe’s concealment increases by 10% per point of essentia invested(to a maximum of 50%).

Frost Helm gives 10 points of cold resistance per point of essentia invested.

Gloves of the Poisoned Soul lose the once per target per 24 hours restriction.

Heart of Fire’s basic function now reads “All creatures with the cold subtype are now considered vulnerable to whatever damage you do to them. If they have immunity to the damage type you are using then they are still immune as normal.”

Incarnate Weapon appears however the Incarnate wishes it to, much like a Soul Knife’s Mind Blade. It is treated as a small sized object that deals 1d8 damage Bludgeoning, Piercing, or Slashing Damage with either a 19-20 threat range or a x3 critical multiplier as the Incarnate prefers. It is considered an aligned weapon compatible with one of the aspects of the Incarnate’s alignment; if Incarnate is True Neutral it instead bypasses one type of material damage reduction of your choice.

Kraken Mantle basic function now reads “You gain a +8 competence bonus to swim checks, and you gain a swim speed of 30 feet.”

Kraken Mantle now increases your swim speed by 10 feet for every point of essentia invested.

Lightning Gauntlets can be used as an attack action.

Necrocarnum Shroud grants you a number of temporary hit points equal to twice the number of essentia invested whenever it would grant you the bonus to attack and damage rolls. These Temp HPs last until the beginning of your next turn.

Necrocarnum Vestments grants cold resistance 10 instead of 5. Necrocarnum Vestments grants you 1 extra hit point per hit die for every point of essentia invested.

Planar Chasuble’s type of energy resistance is now chosen upon shaping the meld each day.

Thunderstep Boots basic function now reads “Thunderstep Boots inflict 1d4 sonic damage on any creature or object you hit with a charge attac, or successfully trample, overrun, or bulrush.

Chakra Bind Changes:
Acrobat Boots’ Feet Bind now reads “you reduce falling damage by 2d6 and an additional 2d6 per essential invested.”

Airstep Sandals’ Feet Bind now reads “the maneuverability category of your air-step sandals changes from good to perfect. For every point of essentia invested in your Airstep Sandals you may spend an additional turn unsupported without falling.”

Adamant Pauldrons Shoulders Bind now reads “The amounts of fortification and damage reduction granted to you by this soulmeld double.”

Adamant Pauldrons now has a heart bind that reads “The amounts of fortification and damage reduction granted to you by this soulmeld triple.”

Appariton Ribbons’ Throat Bind now lets you become incorporeal once per hour instead of limiting you to rounds per day.

Basilisk Mask’s Brow Chakra now functions as it’s Totem Chakra would, with this exception: The target turned to stone by the Basilisk Mask remains turned to stone for a number of rounds equal to 1 plus the Essentia Invested in the Basilisk Mask.

Blink Shirt’s Heart Bind Gives access to a Greater Blink effect instead of a Blink effect.

Blink Shirt now has a Waist Bind that gives access to a Blink effect as its Heart Bind used to.

Bluesteel Bracers’ Arms Bind now reads “All Allies within 30’ of you gain a +2 Insight bonus to Initiative checks; your insight bonus to initiative checks increases to +4.

Brass Mane’s Throat Bind effect can be used every 1d4 rounds.

Cerulean Sandals’ Feet Bind now increase the distance you may travel with a 5’ step action by 5’ per point of essentia. This distance must be made in a straight line and you must have LoS and LoE to the new area you will fill.

Diadem of Purelight now has a Brow Bind that gives off blindingly bright light in the area it would normally give off bright illumination. This bright light breaks LoS and any attack made through or into the light suffers from 50% concealment miss chance. Any sighted creature within the radius of the light must make a Fort save or be blinded, closed eyes gives a +4 bonus to this save. The Incarnate treats the blindingly bright light as normal bright illumination and is hindered by no more than they would be by normal bright illumination.

Diadem of Purelight now has an Arms Bind that allows causes their Diadem of Purelight to become a solid circlet the color of polished brass and rest lightly upon their head. The Incarnate can throw the circlet, as a full-round action, and hit an enemy with a ranged touch attack; if the enemy at or below 10% of their hit points they are immediately destroyed, if they’re above 10% of their hit points then the circlet wraps itself around them and renders them incapable of taking physical actions. The target gets to make a Fort saving throw at the beginning of each turn they are affected to break the effect. The Diadem of Purelight does not function normally when it is wrapped around an enemy.

If the character using this ability shouts “In the name of the Moon I will punish you!” before throwing the tiara, erm, circlet it can destroy targets with up to 20% of their maximum hp.

Displacer Mantle’s Shoulders Bind has its concealment miss chance increased by 5 % for every point of essentia invested, up to a maximum of 50%.

Displacer Mantle’s Totem Bind no longer comes with the restriction of the tentacles not being able to make AoOs; the tentacles can also be used as part of a full-attack or standard action attack as normal for natural weapons.

Enigma Helm’s Crown Bind renders you immune to both charm and compulsion effects as well as the effect of the Suggestion spell(and related spells.

Fellmist Robe now has a Shoulders Bind that makes the concealment function against adjacent creatures as well. The mist now resists winds of up to 50 MPH(anything less than a Windstorm).

Fellmist Robe’s Soul Bind now causes what is effectively a Solid Fog effect to emanate from you out to a range of 10 feet+10 feet per point of essential invested; the fog does not hinder your movement, vision, or attacks or the movement and attack of your allies. You can willingly disperse or re-activate the fog as a full-round action. The mist resists winds of up to 120 MPH(anything less than a Tornado or a particularly powerful Hurricane).

Frost Helm’s Crown Bind can be used as an attack action instead of a standard action.

Hunter’s Circlet’s Totem Bind gives scent with a 30ft. range.

Land Shark Boots’ Feet Bind now give actual Tremorsense activated as a Move action instead of the pointless crap in the book.

Landshark Boots Gains an Arms Bind that reads “you gain a burrow speed of 10 feet; every point of essentia invested increases your burrow speed by 5 feet.

Lightning Gauntlets’ Hands Bind adds the damage to every attack made in a round made with one handheld weapon instead of just one.

Mantle of Flame’s Shoulders Bind now allows you to leave a trail of ethereal fire in your wake whenever you move from place to place; you choose whether or not to leave a trail of fire behind you at the beginning of your turn. This fire lasts 1 minute, any enemy that enters a space with this fire in it takes damage as if it had been hit by the Mantle of Flame’s retaliatory fire damage. If you move through an enemy’s square they get a reflex save to negate the fire damage.

Mauling Gauntlets Arms Bind gives the critical threat range increase to natural weapons as well as manufactured weapons.

Mauling Gauntlets Hands Bind gives its bonus damage to Slam attacks.

Necrocarnum Shroud’s Waist Bind now causes both the Sickened(Fort Negates) and Shaken(Will Negates) statuses for a number of rounds equal to the points of essentia invested.

Necrocarnum Shroud’s Soul Bind now reads “As a Standard Action you may make a melee touch attack that, if successful, inflicts a number of negative levels equal to the number of essential invested in your Necrocarnum Shroud(Fort half). Each negative level bestowed grants you 1 temporary point of essentia and 5 temporary hit points; the essential lasts until the end of your next turn and the temporary hit points last an hour.”

Necrocarnum Vestments Heart Bind renders you immune to any effect that would require a Fort save that does not also effect objects; you gain a resistance bonus on Will saves against Mind effecting effects equal to the points of essentia invested.

Necrocarnum Vestments Waist Bind now inflicts 1d6 points of cold damage+1d6 per point of essentia invested(Fort Half) to creatures adjacent to you at the end of your turn.

Pauldrons of Health Shoulders Bind inflicts five points of positive energy damage per point of essentia invested to any creature that hits you with an effect that would normally cause energy drain; a successful Will save negates this damage.

Pegasus Cloak’s Shoulders Bind fly speed is equal to 10 feet plus 10 feet per point of essentia invested.

Phase Cloak now has an Arm Bind that reads “As part of a move action used to move or a charge action you may launch a strong strand of spider-silk, sticky on one end. If their is some sort of overhead terrain strong enough to support your weight, such as tree limbs or a cave ceiling, or very tall nearby objects such as ravine walls, multi-story buildings, or the trunks of red-wood trees, within 20ft. + 20ft. per point of essentia invested you may attach one end of the web strand to the terrain and effectively gain a fly speed equal to double your base land speed with average maneuverability as long as you have one hand free to manipulate the web. The web strand has hardness 5 and 5 hit points per five feet, and can be damaged just like any other object. If a section of your web above you is destroyed you fall.

The Web strand can also be used just like any rope, grappling hook, or similar.”

Phase Cloak now has a Throat Bind that reads “As a Standard action you may fire a mass of strong sticky spider-silk-like material. The mass functions as the Web spell. You may fill a number of connected 10ft. squares with the web equal to the number of essentia invested; you must be adjacent to at least one of these 10ft. squares and these masses must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else the web collapses and merely turns the affected area into difficult terrain. The material is mildly poisonous and inflicts 2 points of constitution damage on creatures in the area every round who fail a Fortitude save. The escape artist or strength check DC increases by 1 for every point of essentia invested.”

Rage Claw’s Hands Bind now reads “when below natural(not increased or decreased by effects or magic items) Constitution Mod*Hit Dice HP you gain a +3 morale bonus on attack rolls, damage rolls, and fortitude saves.

Sailor’s Bracers’ Arms bind now reads “you take no penalties for under water action(as if under the effects of a freedom of movement spell. You gain an insight bonus on damage rols against aquatic creatures equal to twice the essentia invested, you may also hold you breath for a number of minutes equal to essentia invested above and beyond how long you could normally hold your breath.”

Shadow Mantle’s Shoulders Bind now has a range of 10 feet per point of essentia invested.

Silver Tongue Mask’s Throat Bind now lets you simultaneously make a Suggestion to as many creatures as you have essentia invested.

Therapeutic Mantle now has a Hands Bind; it reads “you gain a +2 Competence bonus on Heal checks, an additional +2 bonus per point of essential invested, and an Insight bonus on melee damage rolls made against flat-footed or flanked opponents per point of essentia invested.

Threefold Mask of the Chimera’s Crown Bind no longer limits you to a single standard or move action when you used the Bind’s granted power in the previous round.

Threefold Mask of the Chimera’s Soul Bind no longer stops you from taking actions when you used the Bind’s granted power in the previous round.

Totem Avatar’s Arms Bind gives you the ability to grapple creatures up to 3 sizes larger than you. You gain a bonus to grapple checks equal to twice the amount of essentia invested. This replaces the original ability.

Totem Avatar’s Feet Bind increases the all checks and DCs to resist, avoid, or mitigate any Bullrush, Overun, or Trample attacks you make by a number equal to the points of essentia invested. This is in addition to the basic ability.

Truthseeker Goggles’ Brow Bind allows you to see in natural darkness, but not magical darkness, as if it were brightly lit. You gain a bonus to saves against gaze attacks and visual effects, including visual illusions, equal to the points of essentia invested.

Vitality Belt’s Waist Bind gives a resistance bonus on Fort saves equal to the point of essentia invested.

Wind Cloak’s Shoulders Bind now works on magical rays and other supernatural effects that require ranged touch attacks.

Winter Mask’s Throat Bind now gives a cone breath weapon with a range of 5 feet plus 5 feet per point of essential invested.

Worg Pelt’s Hands Bind allows a free trip attempt after an attack with any natural weapon instead of just a bite attack. You gain a bonus on trip attempts, but not checks to avoid being tripped, equal to the points of essentia invested.

Wormtail Belt’s Waist Bind now gives access to the Improved Knockback feat instead of Awesome Blow

Wormtail Belt’s Totem Bind now reads “You gain a Stinger Natural Attack that deals 1d6+Str damage. Your stinger attack is poisonous; it deals 1d4 strength primary and secondary damage.
CatharzGodfoot
King

Post by CatharzGodfoot »

Nice job building and playtesting a better Incarnate. Did you manage to get it right in there at the 50% level on your first try?
I liked how the spirit ranger did something similar without the huge complexity of a new spellcasting system, but for someone who knows incarnum this looks great.

IMO it still needs completely revised flavor text (stolen from the binder, meditant, whatever).
The law in its majestic equality forbids the rich as well as the poor from stealing bread, begging and sleeping under bridges.
-Anatole France

Mount Flamethrower on rear
Drive in reverse
Win Game.

-Josh Kablack

Calibron
Knight-Baron

Post by Calibron »

Yeah, I actually did manage to hit the outer edge of that sweet spot on my first try. I was pretty pleased about that. Hopefully the rest of the play-testing goes as well.

As for the flavor text, I figured it's basically "You have super-powers that make you look weird. You may or may not know why. Run with it."