[Tome] AwesomeTome v2 clarification

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Sigil wrote:
  1. Start actually formatting OGL shit that isn't already, so we have a PDF that is, at least, a complete game.
Already done. Example output PDF: https://sites.google.com/site/lokathorgames/srd-pdf

The page says what's in and what's not there; note that spells after Control Weather or so haven't had their tables formatted properly so it looks worse than terrible when you get to Summon Monster and other spells with tables.

I'm so cool, etc. etc. But really I was bored and trying to do this same project you all are now, just 12 months ago.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

Really nicely done, Sajber.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

sabs wrote: That's horrible.. you know that right?
It means that a 10/10 Wizard/Fighter is significantly worse than a 10/10 fighter/wizard.

It's just.. gah. That's the worse idea for multiclassing I've ever heard.
You need to get your head out of the sand when stating things.

You can't use the least clear nomenclature method that you know of or can devise, and then declare that it's impossible to delineate what is going on. That's patent dishonesty, and you weren't trying to label things properly in the first place.

Characters would be listed by the Challenge Ratings of the classes they picked up; and this would be inclusive of other changes people have made to the Tome content over time, such as Scaling Spell DCs; so that 1st level spells still matter when you're level 16 (Kaelik's Errata I believe)

The first example would be Wizard 1-10/Fighter 11-20; and seeing as it's the Races of War fighter anyone is going to be using in a Tomes game it could be less of a problem.

Likewise a Fighter 1-10/Wizard 11-20 is 'better', but because it picked up the Fighter 7 power to "Craft Anything at a Higher Caster level"; and its spell options are slightly wider, but its total spell slots are lower.

The objective of this method would be to make "organic characters" not be so incredibly bad, as they already are. Wargamed characters are always a problem; I've proved that with a Rogue 1/Dungenomicon Monk 1/Bards Suck! Bard 1/Fighter X; and spending more than half of the characters Feats on Purely Defensive feats.

However, that's not a "sometimes is a problem" situation. Wargamed characters are always going to monkey-wrench expectations. Look at the Wish & the Word; they monkey-wrenched the expectations of their entered contest so badly, that they were disqualified for basically making all other entries not worth making.

Getting back to how to solve multiclassing for Organic characters so that everyone else at the table doesn't cry.

If a class "keeps advancing" something that they got at earlier levels; they obviously have the "ability" to use that advanced method, but that might leave them with levels that have some abilities dead for a few levels; and admittedly, cherry-picking levels for "Barbarian X: Fast Healing 10" is going to be less good for the game; but it's probably better than starting what is supposedly a CR 10~ character with Fast Healing 1.

This method would either need two things: 1) To be thought of as a general guidelines, the way that the PrCs and Powerful Creatures sections in the Tomes are laid out or 2) A more generic dynamic for all character roles is created so that you seriously can have a person who wants to play the multi-classing goblin from Goblins; and it be remotely viable; because a Monk 1/Fighter 1/Rogue 1/Bard 1/Wizard 1/Sorcerer 1/Druid 1 could never be any good, ever.

Also, as someone said earlier; a Tomes DMG would eliminate an other book that an MC would have to carry; and be limited to needing just MM's and a Tome print-out.

My only regret now is not knowing about that Sajber's and Lokathor's pdfs sooner. I hope that they were made in the last four years, and not earlier, because that would have meant I was carrying a DMG for no reason.

Also, my Berzerker PrC in Sajber's document is sort of dumb in some of it's sections. Apparently being awesome at wearing armour doesn't remove the fatigue penalties normally associated with armour, so they might always be fatigued. Also, underlying armour should have a lower ACP than overlaying armour; not the other way around. I see that now.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Sajber
Apprentice

Post by Sajber »

As I said, I made my PDF about 5-6 months ago, with everything that was lying around the Den at the time, so there shouldn't be anything there that's been added after February-ish. Glad you like it, princess!
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Sorry, I missed that in the post you made previously.

They're both useful documents.

Yours and Lokathor's are incredibly useful for making only PDFs + Monster Manuals necessary to run a game.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Lokathor wrote:
Sigil wrote:
  1. Start actually formatting OGL shit that isn't already, so we have a PDF that is, at least, a complete game.
Already done. Example output PDF: https://sites.google.com/site/lokathorgames/srd-pdf
Aren't the Tomes based on 3.0, not 3.5?
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

infected slut princess wrote:Really nicely done, Sajber.
Plus one!
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RadiantPhoenix wrote: Aren't the Tomes based on 3.0, not 3.5?
Tomes are written for 3.5. However, there are a number of things the Tomes explicitly call out as being superior in 3e and direct you to use those instead (weapon sizes, charging restrictions, Perform styles, etc.).

-Username17
Sigil
Knight

Post by Sigil »

Sajber, let me also say that your document is pretty damn good. I'll actually probably I'll probably actually start using that as the primary reference document for my group for now.

Lokathor: That gets us a lot closer, but it still needs some editing. Specifically tables. Always tables. The larger ones like the detect evil table are a pain in the ass to get to display reasonably, doubly so we decide to keep the two column format the awesomeTome pdf has for certain chapters.

In generaly, sorry I didn't post over the weekend, I haven't had much free time and my workweek has already started again. I did get github and a latex editor/compiler set back up so that I won't have to worry about that come this weekend.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Just coming off of an insane weekend of moving, myself.
Will hopefully have my rig up by Wed.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I finally got around to emailing the skills chapter to the three folks that asked about it (Darth Rabbit, Codeglaze, Sigil, and Wiseman).

I emailed it to the addresses in your respective profiles.

Game On,
fbmf
Cheiromancer
NPC

Post by Cheiromancer »

Any reason why the ninja class is Koumei's old ninja rather than his Ninja Mk III?

I think Koumei's changes improved the class, and it should be considered the definitive version.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Cheiromancer wrote:Any reason why the ninja class is Koumei's old ninja rather than his Ninja Mk III?

I think Koumei's changes improved the class, and it should be considered the definitive version.
Because everything is from 2008, because fuck progress.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

CatharzGodfoot wrote:It takes only moments for a Tome re-write to become an overly ambitious doomed-to-fail attempt to fix all of a dozen people's mutually incompatible pet D&D peeves.

If you want to write your own D&D heartbreaker based on the Tomes, go for it. But please don't call it a Tome update. That just confuses the issue.
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. For years now there's been a stickied post for links to the "new edition" work, the content of which seems to amount to a jarbled mess of opinions without any resolution, and a few gems of world creation by Frank, that hasn't seen any attention past just a few months of the project getting started.

Probably the ideal thing is an SRD document with what the Tome has added put in. Not really a whole thing, I'm guessing, but everyone's idea of what to do with 3.Tome is different enough that it works as a good starting point so we can fiddle as we like with minimal effort. As others have said, I guess.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

The reason the Ninja is the original is b/c the new fork hasn't rolled out any changes from the v0.7 yet.
Shit, I just pushed the project to GitHub last week. Hold onto your panties, a few of us have been a bit busy with life the past week or two.

If you'd like to help update some things make a fork of the GitHub project, make the changes and then make a pull request.

I will work on a Git tutorial and style guidelines to post up when I can get a minute this week or weekend.

edit: You could also help by linking to classes and errata that has been put out since that PDF was last touched.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Sajber wrote:As I said, I made my PDF about 5-6 months ago, with everything that was lying around the Den at the time, so there shouldn't be anything there that's been added after February-ish. Glad you like it, princess!
Your work is much appreciated. Thank you.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Sajber
Apprentice

Post by Sajber »

Well, I gotta say I'm a bit surprised that you people seem to like my PDF! Granted, it's mostly edited and formatted copypasta, but I kinda expected some kind of bashing. Not that I'm complaining, mind you! Just happy to be of help :biggrin:
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

Sajber wrote:Well, I gotta say I'm a bit surprised that you people seem to like my PDF! Granted, it's mostly edited and formatted copypasta, but I kinda expected some kind of bashing. Not that I'm complaining, mind you! Just happy to be of help :biggrin:
Hey, you did the work that needed to be done. Nothing to complain about there! I'm guessing that it is in the hands of people doing revisions to it right now (myself included) and we'll soon see reformatted, revised, edited materials popping out as the work gets done. Thank you for offering your virginal daughters to the mob, Lot. We shall have fun with them, but don't expect them to be returned unchanged.
Psychic Robot wrote:chock full of aspie
"BEEP BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE"
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

Has anyone successfully converted that pdf into Word format? I can't be buggered to pirate the full Adobe suite just to convert a file into an editable state. I guess the latex files would work too, but honestly I would rather spend my time on the work rather than learning how to use another tool to do the work.

Also, I'd love to see fbmf's skills edit if anyone would like to sent it.
Psychic Robot wrote:chock full of aspie
"BEEP BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE"
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

eidt: PM me yiu email. I will forward it.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TarkisFlux
Duke

Re: [Tome] AwesomeTome v2 clarification

Post by TarkisFlux »

Bihlbo wrote:Which brings me to another topic: who's in charge? If it's all open source, get the work done how you want it, when you can, etc, then it would be nice to know that up front. My preference, FWIW, is that someone wears a "producer/creative director" hat (preferably made of folded pages ripped out of a 4e book). It seems the project would benefit out of having this one person who:
  • defines the technology used, ensuring contributors know how to contribute
  • maintains an updated list of what needs to be done (exactly like the color-coded one Sigil did above)
  • defines the project's voice, style, and formatting, and produces a guide for contributors
  • edits all contributed work to maintain quality production value in terms of voice, style, and formatting
  • establishes a schedule, mainly in order that pieces which depend on others get produced afterwards
  • fascilitates discussion, maintaining board threads for the primary topics
  • decides what makes the cut and how to organize the final product, based on community discussions
  • is ultimately responsible for the shebang being good enough to be worth our efforts
Fuck it. I'm tired of watching this languish and go nowhere, again, so I volunteer to wear that hat and run this thing organize this thing as outlined above. I'll be PMing people who have expressed interest in contributing to see if they're willing to go in with me in some sort of lead position, and to make sure they see this. Because if they're not willing to work with me in this position, there's no point.

Also, this project needs a scope. Desperately. So before people have even agreed to work with me like this, I'll throw out a few possible scopes. If you don't plan on contributing material or edits to this project (because time constraints or other responsibilities or whatever), I don't really care about your opinion on these. If you are planning on contributing material or editing to this project, I want to know which ones you'd be willing to put in work on.
  1. Compile and update existing material into new AwesomeTome or Complete Tome compilation or whatever.
  2. Work updated existing tome and SRD material into a new SRD replacement. This requires rewriting, dropping, and/or merging various sections and articles. It will not be called AwesomeTome or Complete Tome, but a compilation of just those things is probably a side effect of this.
  3. Work updated existing tome and SRD material into a new game that fixes a few pet peeves of the actual contributors (minor skills consolidation / fixes, multiclassing tweaks / removal, that sort of thing). Also not called AwesomeTome or whatever, but an updated compilation still probably fall out of this.
  4. Work updated existing tome and SRD material into a new game that fixes a bunch of pet peeves of the actual contributors (complete skills replacement, complete multiclassing overhaul, that sort of thing). Definitely not called AwesomeTome or whatever, and an updated compilation probably does not fall out of this.
I'm willing to organize and edit for tone and do style guides for all of these, even if number 4 winds up going in a direction that isn't one I want for my personal heartbreaker.

Once we have a group of people who are sort of on the same page as to what the final product looks like (and we can exclude people who don't want to work on that sort of final product to reduce derailing, because Catharz was absolutely right) we can get on with sorting the other bits.

And yes Kaelik, spoilered challenge accepted.
The wiki you should be linking to when you need a wiki link - http://www.dnd-wiki.org

Fectin: "Ant, what is best in life?"
Ant: "Ethically, a task well-completed for the good of the colony. Experientially, endorphins."
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

Bihlbo wrote:Has anyone successfully converted that pdf into Word format? I can't be buggered to pirate the full Adobe suite just to convert a file into an editable state. I guess the latex files would work too, but honestly I would rather spend my time on the work rather than learning how to use another tool to do the work.
No, we're not doing word docs. Word docs are not a valid submission format. Word docs are horrible. You can use plaintext or you can use bbcode (form-post formatted text) or you can use latex. Those are your options. Those are your only options.

You can at least write your stuff as a form post, we'll take it from there if that's all you want to do. But we are not using .doc files.

.doc files can fuck all the way off.
TarkisFlux wrote:I'll be PMing people who have expressed interest in contributing to see if they're willing to go in with me in some sort of lead position, and to make sure they see this. Because if they're not willing to work with me in this position, there's no point.
And I'll be responding to that here. I've got that PM from you, and I've got an email and/or PM or two from CodeGlaze, and it's getting weird because there's also two or three threads on this subject floating around the main board.

We need to pick a thread, either an existing one or a new one, and then I think that ALL communications about the matter should go in just one thread. Unless an actual file is being sent or something, stick to just using the thread.
TarkisFlux wrote:Also, this project needs a scope. Desperately. ... If you are planning on contributing material or editing to this project, I want to know which ones you'd be willing to put in work on.
Options 2, 3, or 4 seem workable. Option 1 is dumb. There's no reason to start over and just get the same result. The AwesomeTome is already a compilation. We need to merge the Tome material, however much of it, with an SRD base so that a complete game is the result.

In terms of specific mechanical changes to implement or not, I care very little. I think that 3 is possibly better than 2 on account of the fact that we at least have to complete the magic item stuff, so we'll already be writing a bit, so we might as well fix at least a few of the major gripes. 3 is probably more realistic than 4.

At the same time, too many small changes just for changing sake ends up with one of the pathfinder problems, where you can't remember what changed and what doesn't. So maybe some things we want to just leave alone if there's not going to be an obvious difference with the change.

ALSO, TO EVERYONE: A submission to the project must include EITHER the OGL Section 15 copyright entry that you want to have added for using your work OR that you simply want your name added to the list of author's in the final product's entry. The OGL is the only license we can release the final product under, and so it's the only license that we should accept work under.

Our final Section 15 will end up looking something similar to this:
  • Open Game License v 1.0a Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
  • System Reference Document Copyright 2000-2003, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.; Authors Jonathan Tweet, Monte Cook, Skip Williams, Rich Baker, Andy Collins, David Noonan, Rich Redman, Bruce R. Cordell, John D. Rateliff, Thomas Reid, James Wyatt, based on original material by E. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.
  • Tome of Necromancy Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
  • Tome of Fiends Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
  • Dungeonomicon Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
  • Races of War Copyright 2006, Frank Trollman and K
  • Book Of Gears Copyright 2007, Frank Trollman and K
  • <other entries here possibly>
  • Tome Reference Document Copyright 2013, CodeGlaze, Daniel Gee, and TarkisFlux.
Last edited by Lokathor on Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

@Lokathor : Tarkis and I talked about it. We're going to set us up the bomb. I just need to get home first.

It's partially my fault for the poor communication until recently.

MOAR SOON!
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Sajber wrote:Well, I gotta say I'm a bit surprised that you people seem to like my PDF! Granted, it's mostly edited and formatted copypasta, but I kinda expected some kind of bashing. Not that I'm complaining, mind you! Just happy to be of help :biggrin:
The only thing that I have as a complaint is that the part where it talks about combat doesn't use the Frank and K system.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x