[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 52 - Night Dragon

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Yeah, since we have the money, might as well buy everything that we don't already have.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Re: [Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 52 - Night Dragon

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

The sign of the Rudderless Galley swings, creaking to and fro in the north wind. Approaching the dockside tavern past the alleys and byways. You thought you saw a grey-robed man duck into the shadows just before you reached the tavern door, or was it just a trick of the light? You push past the seamen and merchants inside the tavern, walk across the sawdust floor to the stairway and climb as far as the landing. You make your way to the third door along, as instructed, and take the silver key from your pocket. Test your Skill. If you are successful turn to 261. If you fail, turn to 314.
Dirk passes, skilfully.
Three grey-robed men are standing in the room and a body lies slumped on the bed; the window to the docks beyond is open. The men have coshes and knives, and they've been expecting you. They are all dark-haired and have an evil glint in their eyes; as one of them slams the door shut behind you, you know you're going to be lucky to survive this! You can fight them one at a time in this enclosed space as you back into a corner of the room.

First ASSASSIN Skill 8 Stamina 7
Second ASSASSIN Skill 8 Stamina 8
Third ASSASSIN Skill 8 Stamina 8
FIGHT!
Round 1
Dirk 14 Stamina 20/22 (-2)
First Assassin 15 Stamina 7/7

Round 2
Dirk 19 Stamina 18/22
First Assassin 16 Stamina 7/7 (-2)

Round 3
Dirk 16 Stamina 18/22 (-2)
First Assassin 17 Stamina 5/7

Round 4
Dirk 16 Stamina 16/22
First Assassin 16 Stamina 5/7

Round 5
Dirk 17 Stamina 16/22
First Assassin 17 Stamina 5/7

Round 6
Dirk 22 Stamina 16/22
First Assassin 17 Stamina 5/7 (-2)

Round 7
Dirk 16 Stamina 16/22
First Assassin 13 Stamina 3/7 (-2)

Round 8
Dirk 16 Stamina 16/22
First Assassin 13 Stamina 1/7 (-2, killed)

Round 9
Dirk 17 Stamina 16/22
Second Assassin 12 Stamina 8/8 (-2)

Round 10
Dirk 20 Stamina 16/22
Second Assassin 17 Stamina 6/8 (-2)

Round 11
Dirk 17 Stamina 16/22
Second Assassin 15 Stamina 4/8 (-2)

Round 12
Dirk 19 Stamina 16/22
Second Assassin 16 Stamina 2/8 (-2, killed)

Round 13
Dirk 20 Stamina 16/22
Third Assassin 15 Stamina 8/8 (-2)

Round 14
Dirk 17 Stamina 16/22
Third Assassin 11 Stamina 6/8 (-2)

Round 15
Dirk 19 Stamina 16/22
Third Assassin 12 Stamina 4/8 (-2)

Round 16
Dirk 17 Stamina 16/22
Second Assassin 16 Stamina 2/8 (-2, killed)
If you win, you turn over the body on the bed; it is that of a Dark Elf, presumably the person you were expecting to meet. His throat has been crushed and he's beyond help. Frantically searching his body, you find 3 Gold Pieces and a silver plaque clutched in one hand with a single word hastily carved into it: "Endimion". Outside the door there's a commotion; someone is banging on it, asking what's been going on. Will you:

Open the door? (turn to 30)
Search the bodies of your attackers? (turn to 83)
Leave through the open window? (turn to 109)
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11
Stamina 16/22
Luck 10/12

Honour 1
Nemesis 1
Time Track 10

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Shield
Lantern
Backpack
10/12 Provisions
10 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Bottle
Flask of Walrus Oil
Silver plaque with "Endimion" carved onto it

Special:
20-stranded spider's web tattoo with a dragon's skull in it, seen on paragraph 55.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah, I think we should hightail it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

My loot-fetish cannot be denied. Risk getting caught and loot the attackers!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

This sounds a lot like a dilemma in an earlier LP. And there the optimal choice was to leave. Let's leave.

EDIT: Far too late, I remembered that I had the best character name ever. I post it here because I insist it be used in the next FF LP: Huge Nuge.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:This sounds a lot like a dilemma in an earlier LP. And there the optimal choice was to leave.
Actually, not quite true (assuming you are referring to Bennet's murder scene). If looting was your very first option, then you could have looted the drawers for some very useful gold as well as an official letter that would have gotten us into the Asylum without a fight.......and still have enough time to follow the assassin out of the window. Of course, if you dawdle further after looting the drawers then the guards would have caught you.

Basically, you had time to perform one action (help Bennet or loot drawers) before following the assassin. If you try to do both, you get caught.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SGamerz wrote:Actually, not quite true (assuming you are referring to Bennet's murder scene). If looting was your very first option, then you could have looted the drawers for some very useful gold as well as an official letter that would have gotten us into the Asylum without a fight.......and still have enough time to follow the assassin out of the window. Of course, if you dawdle further after looting the drawers then the guards would have caught you.

Basically, you had time to perform one action (help Bennet or loot drawers) before following the assassin. If you try to do both, you get caught.
I was. I haven't read Moonrunner before or since that LP, so I didn't know that.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

If you are the only living person in the room, you can easily escape before the door is broken down; turn to 387. if there are militiamen in the room with you, you must Test your Skill, adding 2 to the number rolled. If you are successful, you evade them and jump down into the back streets, where you evade their pursuit. But now you're going to be hunted by the militia, which will make your quest very difficult in future. Turn to 387. If you fail, turn to 143.
The Dragoncock cares naught for the po-po and evades their clumsy grasp!
You've only got one lead about where to go next: the silver plaque with the word "Endimion" on it. You are forced to spend valuable time here in Rentarn trying to find out what this clue means. Each day you spend here, you must add 2 to your Time Track. If you are being hunted by the militia, you must roll one die each day; if you roll a 6, turn to 194. Also, each day you have to pay for food; you must deduct 1 Gold Piece, or 1 unit of Provisions, each day you are in Rentarn. If at any time you get desperately short of food you can spend one day doing menial labour in the town and earn enough to buy 3 Provisions (but you must add 2 to your Time Track if you do this). Now, how will you try to find out what this single clue, "Endimion", means? Will you:

Look for a place called Endimion? (turn to 352)
Ask around for a person named Endimion? (turn to 272)
Try to find out more about the grey-robed men? (turn to 226)
Why can't the Dragoncock make a living finding a monster and stabbing him? Oh well.
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11
Stamina 16/22
Luck 10/12

Honour 1
Nemesis 1
Time Track 10

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Shield
Lantern
Backpack
10/12 Provisions
10 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Bottle
Flask of Walrus Oil

Special:
20-stranded spider's web tattoo with a dragon's skull in it, seen on paragraph 55.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Endimon sounds more like a person than a place to me.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Look for person, I guess.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You spend a wasted day asking around for a person with the name of Endimion, but all the people you question shake their heads and go about their business and you get nowhere. If you want to spend another day trying this same strategy, turn to 246. Alternatively, you could try looking for a place called Endimion (turn to 352) or start asking questions about the grey-robed men, if you haven't already done so (turn to 215).
Cockblocked! Adding 2 to Time Track and -1 Provisions for upkeep.
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11
Stamina 16/22
Luck 10/12

Honour 1
Nemesis 1
Time Track 12

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Shield
Lantern
Backpack
9/12 Provisions
10 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Bottle
Flask of Walrus Oil

Special:
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I suspect trying another day is a time-wasting trap. Look for a place instead.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You spend a first fruitless day looking for a place with this name. After this, for every day that passes, roll one die. When you roll a 5 or 6, turn to 167. If you wish, you can increase the number rolled on the die by
1 by spending a point of Luck. If you tire of this. you can try looking for a person named Endimion (turn to 272) or ask questions about the grey-robed men, if you haven't already done this (turn to 226).
+2 Time Track, -1 Provisions. Since we're prompted to roll and we can spend a Luck point to improve our roll, I'm inclined to believe we're on the right track here. So I'm going to spend 3 days rolling, and if it still doesn't work, I'll go ask about the grey-robed men (since asking about a person called Endimion presumably leads to a dead end).

Fortunately I got a 5 on the second roll, so:
At last, down at the docks, you have a stroke of good luck. One of the throng of sailors appears to know something. "Ah, the Endimion. Due in from the Eelsea on the lunchtime tide. Me bruvver's second mate on that ship," he says, chest swelling with family pride. Sure enough, come noontime, the ship arrives at the dock. You ask the captain if he has any passengers on board; even as you speak, however, you see out of the corner of your eye a black-cloaked figure skulking below decks. Fearing he may be up to no good, you yell at him, and he spins around to face you - a Dark Elf! He holds up his hands to hush you and, as he does, his head jerks backwards and you see a long, heavy dart suddenly protruding from his neck. On the dockside, you spot a black-robed man darting away into a warehouse. If you want to puruse this assassin, turn to 62. If you want to try to help the Dark Elf, turn to 155.
Chase the killer, or aid the soon-to-be-killed?
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11
Stamina 16/22
Luck 10/12

Honour 1
Nemesis 1
Time Track 18

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Shield
Lantern
Backpack
5/12 Provisions
10 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Bottle
Flask of Walrus Oil

Special:
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Help the Dark Elf. We need the exposition that we missed from the last murdered elf.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Help out the Dark Elf. He'll probably be a dick, but it's possible he won't, and we really need a lead that he might be able to give.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

For a second time your contact has been slain by assassins! The Elf manages a few words before the poison on the dart kills him. "North-north-west," he croaks. "along Stormdrake Pass. Frost Giants have... Take them firewater. lsmater..." and then he is dead. What will you do now?

Buy some extra equipment or food? (turn to 236)
Sell them some furs, if you have some to sell? (turn to 68)
Leave Rentarn for Stormdrake pass? (turn to 178)
Writing's on the wall. Let's go.
If you're leaving Rentarn, there's a pass which you must find. If you know the name of the pass, convert it into a number using the following code: A =1, B = 2, C = 3... Z = 26. Add the numbers corresponding to the letters in the name together then turn to the paragraph with that number. If you don't know the name of the pass, you must visit the Rudderless Galley tavern; turn to 286.
Stormdrake: 19 + 20 + 15 + 18 + 13 + 4 + 18 + 1 + 11 + 5 = 124.
Stormdrake Pass, which grows narrower as the peaks of the Dragon Reaches margin begin to ascend around it, is not a well-travelled path. The only signs of life you see as you trude along the rocky track are birds wheeling overhead and an occasional lethargic rock lizard skittering away from your footsteps. A few thick-leaved succulents hug the ground tightly, the only plant life you can see. This is barren terrain indeed, but you feel fortunate at having avoided any monsters during your first day's travel, and you sleep safely in a small cave. Add 2 to your Time Track and you must now eat a meal. The following day you soon come to a fork in the trail. North-north-west, the trail is hardly perceptible any longer; pointing to the north-eastern fork is a badly weathered wooden sign, where you can just make out what is left of the original inscription; it says simply: "TO IS ER". You cannot decipher the letters in the middle. If you want to head north-eastwards, turn to 322. If you want to go to the north-north-west, turn to 23.
The Elf said to go NNW, and then Ismater, but the sign that presumably points to Ismater points due NE! Decide, oh barrel of dragoncocks.
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11
Stamina 16/22
Luck 10/12

Honour 1
Nemesis 1
Time Track 18

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Shield
Lantern
Backpack
5/12 Provisions
10 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Bottle
Flask of Walrus Oil

Special:
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The way I read it, we should go NNW to get some stuff from the Frost Giants before going to Ismater, so NNW first.

Besides, the road sign could have been deliberately shifted to point in the wrong direction.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Or, we have to take to the frost giants firewater, which we can find in Ismater...
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sirocco wrote:Or, we have to take to the frost giants firewater, which we can find in Ismater...
Hmmm....that does sound more fitting. Ismater first, then.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

I count 2 votes for NE/Ismater. Ismater it is!
Ismater is a large village nestling in the foothills of the forbidding northern and eastern mountains; herders, fur-trappers, nomadic hillsmen, merchants and even a handful of barbarian warriors make it a lively place. You need to sleep and rest (add 2 to your Time Track) and you must then eat a meal. Next day. you may conduct your business here. You could seek work if you're very low on supplies, you could buy equipment, explore the village fully, or hang around in the taverns and inns of the town to see if you overhear anything of interest. Will you:

Look for paid work? (turn to 397)
Buy some supplies? (turn to 373)
Explore the village? (turn to 10)
Relax in the taverns? (turn to 207)
Normally I'd skip straight to the buying, but we could get smashed or get paid. Or winkle out village maidens to impregnate. The choice is yours, Cockateers!
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11
Stamina 16/22
Luck 10/12

Honour 1
Nemesis 1
Time Track 20

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Shield
Lantern
Backpack
4/12 Provisions
10 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Bottle
Flask of Walrus Oil

Special:
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Explore.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Explore, yes. After that, I think we have sufficient gold to go shopping. If we see something we can't afford and desperately want, we can then go look for work.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

There aren't many sights of interest in Ismater, as you find during your exhaustive search through the place (add 1 to your Time Track). You do find two odd-looking little shops, though; the Firewater Emporium, with a window stocked full of exotic bottles, and a very dirty and run-down little shop which has a wooden sign with flaking paint on which you can just make out the letters "EVIL". If you want to enter the Firewater Emporium, turn to 37. If you want to enter the other shop, turn to 238. If you don't wish to enter either, will you:

Buy some supplies? (turn to 373)
Leave Ismater? (turn to 268)
Relax in the taverns, if you haven't done so before? (turn to 207)
I have to say that a self-labelled evil shop is very attention grabbing.
Dirk el Dragoncock

Skill 11
Stamina 16/22
Luck 10/12

Honour 1
Nemesis 1
Time Track 21

Gear:
Sword
Leather armor
Shield
Lantern
Backpack
4/12 Provisions
10 golds
Silver key
Rope
Longbow and arrows
Spiked boots
Ice pick
Viewing lens
Carved ivory polar bear
Steel mirror
Bottle
Flask of Walrus Oil

Special:
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well, we definitely want to visit the Firewater Emporium, so let's go there first.