[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 48 - Moonrunner

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 48 - Moonrunner

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

From the back cover wrote: The war between the kingdoms is over, but there is still much to be done. The evil generals who went to ground in the Badlands beyond Gallantaria have been tracked down by bounty hunters. The feared Inquisitor General, Karam Gruul, has eluded capture for so long, however, that many believe him dead.

You alone know different. Gruul is very much alive, and plotting to rekindle the flames of war once more. YOU must use your skills as a bounty hunter to track him down and bring him, finally, to justice.
The Introduction wrote: Exploring the Lacynthian Caves, striking beyond Orchelm enemy lines, rediscovering the Forgotten Temple of Daemos, defying the monstrous Vampire Lords of Vannan - most adventurers would be proud to have achieved but one of these feats, but you have done them all, and many more besides. What is more, all these death-defying exploits were accomplished as part of your apprenticeship! For you have joined the few whose very lives are a byword for danger: you have become a Bounty Hunter.

As a Bounty Hunter, you are a grim, experienced and fearless survivor who lives off the rewards offered by the civilized nations of the Old World for the capture of wanted criminals. Unlike most of your sort, who are ruthless, money-grubbing scum, you don't waste your time arresting petty thieves, however; you look to hunt down the handful of arch-villains who you know are behind the many foul wars and cruel mishaps that have recently threatened to bring your native land of Gallantaria to her knees. You will not rest until you have uncovered and arrested each and every one of these evil fiends.
So yeah, we're basically a WH40K Inquisitor, only with no psychic powers or retinue of minions. Most of the following pages are the standard mechanical rehash on Skill/Stamina/Luck and the combat system. Key deviations are:
Fighting More Than One Opponent wrote: When you find yourself under attack from more than one adversary at the same time, each will make a separate attack on you in the course of each Attack Round, but you can choose which one to fight (unless you have the Combat Special Skill - see Special Skills, below). Attack your chosen target as in a normal battle. Against any additional opponents you roll for the Attack Strength of yourself and each opponent in the normal way. If your Attack Strength is greater than your adversary's however, you will not inflict a wound; you can regard it as having parried an incoming blow. If your Attack Strength is lower than your enemy's, you will be wounded in the normal way.
and...
Special Skills wrote:
Over the years, you have acquired a number of Special Skills which have served you time and again on your many bounty hunting ventures. Choose four from the following list and mark them in the Special Skills box on your Adventure Sheet. THe Special Skills are:

Acrobatics: You have a remarkable sense of balance, coupled with the ability to attempt a variety of physical stunts which most people would find impossible.

Climb: You are able to climb with ease up almost any surface, even those which offer you only the slightest of handholds.

Combat: You are a master in the art of man-to-man combat. If ever you are told to fight more than one opponent at the same time, you may strike back at each one of them, wounding all opponents whose Attack Strength is lower than yours.

Con: This skill calls for fast thinking, a modicum of acting ability, and the gift of being able to keep a straight face while telling the most outrageous lies. If it is possible for you to get what you want out of a situation through words alone, you'll manage it.\

Disguise: You have the ability to alter your appearance so radically that you may seek to pass almost anywhere unnoticed. obviously, the longer you spend on preparing your disguise and the more materials you have to hand (sic), the more effective your disguise will be; you should remember, however, that disguises mask only your appearance.

Lock Picking: There's hardly a lock made that can keep you out - and all you need to open one is the small hooked piece of metal which you carry, concealed on your person at all times.

Sleight of Hand: Your nimble fingers are adept in the art of trickety, and your joints can be popped at the mere flexing of a tendon. You can make small objects seem to appear and disappear before a person's very eyes; you can plant items on that person or simply pick that person's pockets. Another invaluable aspect of this skill lies in using it to extricate yourself from bonds or to slip through the thinnest of gaps.

Sneak: If you so choose, you can hide from others or use your incredibly light tread to get past them, unheard and unseen. Though happiest when there are plenty of hiding places around or during the hours of darkness, you can always make the best use of whatever cover is available when trying to evade detection.

Tracking: Equally as good in the city as in the wilds, you are able to follow humanoid or beast anywhere - provided your prey has left a trail for you to follow. How well you are able to pick up the trail depends on where the trail is, what it is, and how old it is. All the same, you have often used this skill to spectacular effect.
So, pick us up 4 Special Skills.

Unlike most other FF books, we actually start out quite light on gear. The Bounty Hunter travels light, carrying a sword, durable clothing, a backpack, and a purse with... 22 Gold Pieces. That's it; no potions, no magic, nada. No provisions either, oddly enough, but this book isn't too lethal and is fairly light on the Skill/Luck draining sections.

And now, the prelude to the adventure!

Welcome to the Badlands

In response to an urgent message, it has taken you just three days to reach the delta where the lands of Gallantaria,, Brice and Mauristatia meet - three days to reach that lawless and unruly part of Gallantaria commonly known as the Badlands. At the heart of this notorious region standing on the Border River, is the sprawling city of Blackhaven, a place so dangerous that the City Guards have to go around in groups of ten. Yet it is to this city's solitary, beleaguered guard post that you have been summoned.

It is the dead of night, and no one sees you as you slip in through a secret door in a side wall of the small stone keep. Inside, you are met by Guard Marshal Bennet, who quietly leads you up a spiral staircase and into his candlelit room. There, the aged Marshal wastes no time in explaining why you have been summoned: The War of the Four Kingdoms - Gallantaria,
Femphrey, Brice and the Northlands - almost tore the Old World apart, but the four sides turned away from the abyss and made a fragile peace which has lasted up to the present day. Yet this peace is constantly being eroded by the many agents of Chaos who seek to aggravate old rivalries. The Old World can never know true peace until its barbaric past is finallyl aid to rest. He pauses to sit down at his desk then adds, "High in the Brician ranks was Karam Gruul - the Inquisitor General." You cannot help but shudder in fear and loathing at the mere mention of this name.

"Gruul," Bennet continues, "was swift in urging Brice to war, and his was the guiding intellect and the dark magics which lay behind many of Brice's military successes. It was he who prepared the murderous firetraps along Brice's borders; he who had thousands of war prisoners dragged, screaming, into his Tower of lnquisition, where horrific deeds were perpetrated; he who tortured and killed peaceful Bricians with his "traitor-hunts"; he who assassinated his fellow generals when they spoke out against him; and, finally, it was he who remained unseen and unknown while his men died on foreign soil. Not for nothing was Gruul nicknamed"the Hand of Death".

"When peace finally came, a condition of the armistice was that Gruul should be made to stand trial for his crimes against humanity. But the warmongering Brician king claimed that Gruul had died in the Last Battle and that his body was but one of thousands ploughed under the earth. Moreover, the king denied any knowledge of Gruul's atrocities and he ordered that all mention of Gruul be erased from his country's histories
and monuments. Most believed that Gruul - whose face was known to so very few - had not died; and so began the Great Manhunt. But no sign of Gruul was found; it was as if he had never existed. His damned Tower of Inquisition was razed to the ground, but the villain himself escaped us. Since then, a constant vigil has been maintained for signs of Gruul's inevitable return. And now, at the cost of many gallant lives, we have at last obtained news as to his whereabouts!"

"Gruul is in Blackhaven, and his presence here can only mean that he is planning something terrible, some plot important enough to make him risk exposure after years of hiding. However, we don't know exactly where he is, or in what guise; only that he is here. We dare not use the City Guards or any other band of men to fetch him; Gruul would soon learn of their
coming and would go into hiding once more. But if someone worked alone - someone with stealth, cunning and resourcefulness the equal of Gruul's, someone who could move efficiently and quietly through the deadly streets of Blackhaven - then we just might catch him You are that someone. Find Gruul for us and take him to face justice at the High Court in Royal Lendle, capital of Gallantaria. lf you do, the reward..."

You have been listening to Bennet's words with rising passion, and now you feel compelled to interrupt: "Save your gold! For years I have been looking for seven arch-fiends in lhe service of Chaos; six are now behind bars; but Gruul, the seventh and most evil, has always eluded me. No, seeing Gruul made to account for his wrongdoings will be reward enough. And... I have a personal debt to settle!"

Turn to paragraph 1.
Oooooh, scary.
Paragraph 1 wrote: Bennet sighs with relief and thanks you before continuing: "There are rumours that Blackhaven is in the grip of a secret society called the Cabal of the Werewolf. All we know about this organization is that its members are said to bear "the Werewolf's Mark', and that it is supposed to have connections with a powerful clique of Brician nobles who are hell-bent on starting a second War of the Four Kingdom.s If this is true, then
Karam Gruul must have dealings with fhe Cabal. Word has reached me that an inmate of Craven Asylum, Matra Ouspenskaya, is claiming that she was a member - but is now a victim - of the Cabal. This could be the break we seek; you must go and question her to find out if there is any truth in her wild ravings. Next, it is said that Cabal members meet in a docklands tavern, the Last Octopus, which you should also investigate. Finally, it might be worth your while to visit Silas Entador,a useful wretch who is one of our paid informers and who lives in Malt Lane. If Gruul has made contact with this Cabal - or, indeed, with any part of Blackhaven's underworld - then Entador will know about it."

The Marshal stands up behind his desk. Though mystic shields hide our walls from scrying eyes, I fear that one of my own men may be a traitor, so only I and the Ruling Council in Royal Lendle, to whom Gruul must be taken, know of your mission. In my drawer I have some gold to cover your expenses and a Letter of Introduction to Craven Asy-"
A stifled cry escapes the old man's lips as he falls forward on to the desk, a dagger protruding from his back! The knife can only have been thrown through the tall, open window behind Bennet's chair, a window which is twelve metres above the ground. Will you try to help Bennet (turn to 12), go round the desk to his drawer so that you may take the gold and the letter (turn to 31), or rush over to the window (turn to 80)?
Decide! Also, our hero needs a name, and 4 special skills, and some clue as to where to proceed...
Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 10/10
Gear: Sword, 22 golds, backpack, clothing.
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Sat May 31, 2014 1:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I propose Willie Johnson for the name. Sometimes the classics are the best.

As for skills, I'm for Frank's philosophy from the Way of the Tiger series: Acrobatics, Climb, Lock Picking – the things that let us reach otherwise inaccessible places. For the fourth, I'd probably pick Disguise rather than Stealth, but if we plan to chase this assassin into the night (which I don't recommend), go Tracking.

Bennet is probably beyond help, but try anyway. The desk drawer isn't going to loot itself in the meantime, and he may have a last, whispered exposition for us.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I agree with pretty much everything Angel said. Take Acrobatics, Climb and Lockpicking for sure. As for our fourth skill, Stealth and Tracking sound more generally useful, but Disguise is so much cooler that I think we should go with that.

Also, Willie Johnson sounds like an excellent name for a dick-wielding cop Inquisitor bounty hunter freelance peacekeeping agent, and we should always check to listen to contacts' last words.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I don't know, I think I like Sneak more; if they can't see you, there's no need for a disguise, now, is there?

Also, have I understood correctly that most of the characters' names from the previous LP threads are penis metaphors? :-)
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

the more materials you have to hand (sic)
Why the [sic]?

I think we definitely should take Climb, Lockpcking and one of Disguise and Sneak. I think Acro probably covers the same kind of ground as Climb though, so I'd be inclined to have a sneaky face-to-face skill like SoH or Con

My preferred list:
Climb
Lockpicking
Disguise
Sleight of Hand

Edit, and see to Bennett
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

All right, Acrobatics, Climbing, Disguise and Lockpicking seem popular enough that I'll go with them. We're a regular infiltrator now, aren't we? Just need Sneak to go with it...
Bennet is already beyond help, not only is the knife wound deep, it is also dripping with poison! The dislinctive knife itself, however, offers you a valuable clue in that it can only have come from the forge of Alcham Lugosh - a local armourer renowned for the craftsmanship he brings to vile and unusual weaponry. Sadly, this profession has made Lugosh a rich man. If, in future, you are given a chance to call on Lugosh at his forge in Priestsgate, you may do so by turning to 64 (make a note of this paragraph number on your Adventure Sheet). Now, will you examine Bennet's drawer (turn to 149) or go over to the window (turn to 80)?
As expected, Bennet is very dead, but we have a Clue (TM)!
Willie Johnson, Private Dick

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 10/10
Skills: Acrobatics, Climb, Disguise, Lockpicking.
Special:
- may visit Alcham Lugosh at Priestsgate by turning to page 64
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Drawer. Having the dagger be a Clue means we won't catch the killer at this juncture.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Drawer seems right.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Drawer.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Before you have time to do anything else, three City Guards burst into the room, their swords drawn. "Zaar's warning has come too late,' shouts Guard Captain Furneaux. "The assassin's here before us!"

Warning? Assassin? Here? It is with a sinking feeling that you realize you have been framed! The guards advance towards you, blocking off the doorway, but the open window is just over your shoulder. Will you:

Attack the guards? (turn to 223)
Try to tell Furneaux what really happened? (turn to 107)
Escape through the window? (turn to 278)
T'was a tarp! And now it's closed on you. Will Willie Johnson kill these coppers, talk his way out, or hightail it, for justice cannot be bogged down with false murder investigations?

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 10/10
Special:
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I don't like how the talk option is the only one that implies failure, but I really think we need to get our version of events on the record. Tell the truth!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, we don't want to make any more enemies than we already have. Talk.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I'm inclined to hightail it, but I'll stick with the majority for now...
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

You raise a supplicatory hand and beg Furneaux to listen lo your tale. But the guards continue advancing towards you. So far as they can see, events are only too obvious. Worse, Bennet's words return to haunt you; not one of the guards knows who you are or why you are here. To them, you can only be an intruder. If you have the Con Special Skill, turn to 360; if you do not, turn to 223.
Nope, we don't! On to 223.
Without warning, the guards try to take you by surprise. You must fight all three at once.

FURNEAUX Skill 7 Stamina 8
First GUARD Skill 6 Stamina 6
Second GUARD Skill 7 Stamina 5
Round 1 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 20 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 11 (8/8 Sta)
GUARD #1 12 (6/6 Sta)
GUARD #2 15 (3/5 Sta)

Round 2 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 21 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 13 (8/8 Sta)
GUARD #1 11 (6/6 Sta)
GUARD #2 15 (1/5 Sta)

Round 3 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 22 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 18 (8/8 Sta)
GUARD #1 17 (6/6 Sta)
GUARD #2 19 (-1/5 Sta)

Round 4 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 17 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 16 (8/8 Sta)
GUARD #1 13 (4/6 Sta)

Round 5 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 20 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 16 (8/8 Sta)
GUARD #1 14 (2/6 Sta)

Round 6 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 21 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 13 (8/8 Sta)
GUARD #1 10 (0/6 Sta)

Round 7 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 20 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 12 (6/8 Sta)

Round 8 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 21 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 16 (4/8 Sta)

Round 9 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 20 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 10 (2/8 Sta)

Round 10 Attack Strengths:
WILLIE 16 (22/22 Sta)
FURNEAUX 12 (0/8 Sta)
Wow, Willie is insanely hardcore. He flawlessed three guys at once. It would have gone even faster if he had Combat, because then he could damage all three of them at once. Imagine what he'd be like with a magic weapon, armor and shield...

Sadly, he's a copkiller, but oh well.
Having regrettably dispatched Furneaux and his men, you hurry back down the spiral staircase and out of the tower. Now, with the City Guard seeking to arrest you, you are truly on your own. Outside the tower, you see no sign of any assassin,so you decide to begin your manhunt immediately. It being so late, the cobblestoned streets of the city are deathly still. Where will you go first, to Craven Asylum (turn to 393), to the Last Octopus (turn to 23) or to Malt Lane(turn to 207), or, if you have reason to g0 there, to Priestsgate or Weathern Mill?
Quick recap: Craven Asylum is where you can find a former member of the Cabal, who might be able to talk about Gruul. The Last Octopus is where members of the Cabal of the Werewolf have been known to meet. Malt Lane is where we can find Silas Entador, underworld informant. And we have a clue from the assassin's weapon; it was made by Alcham Lugosh, who stays in Priestsgate (para. 64)

Skill 11/11
Stamina 21/21
Luck 10/10
Special:
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Wow, we kill the po-po and then still don't get to examine the crime scene at leisure? Le sigh.

Check out the weapon lead.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Blue option ftw.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Sirocco wrote:Blue option ftw.
I know this is a Mass Effect reference, but I have no idea what it means in this context...
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Sorry, I should have clarified; in this case, the bonus option (Priestsgate).
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:
Sirocco wrote:Blue option ftw.
I know this is a Mass Effect reference, but I have no idea what it means in this context...
It's an FTL reference. Bonus blue options only pop up when certain conditions are met (having special equipment or crewmembers on board) and are much more likely to be favorable than regular options.

I'm not sure whether the "likely to be favorable" part will hold true in this case, because the murderer might have as well used this particular weapon to lure us into a trap (hur hur so clever), but check it anyway.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We have reason to go to Priestgate. Get that weapon checked out.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Alcham Lugosh,deviser of a thousand vile deaths, lives behind a magically protected door, at the end of a nondescript alley in the Priestsgate part of the city. You knock on this door - and fall through a trapdoor! You land, some eight meters down, on the cold stone floor of a cylindrical pit; deduct 3 points from your Stamina. A set of rusty iron rungs runs up the wall, passing a wooden beam which spans the pit about a metre above your head. Scattered around on the floor are the remains of twelve bodies; each has three fingers missing from their right hand! Suddenly, the trapdoor closes above you and a duct opens at your feet, to admit tidal waters from the nearby Border River. The icy wash floods around your ankles. Whoever has trapped you down here intends you to drown! And drown you must, unless you find some means of escape. Will you reach for the wooden beam (turn to 391), climb up the rungs (turn to 140), or ignore them both and wait (turn to 6)?
Now, why do all of them have fingers missing... and turns out our weaponsmith is also very inventive with deathtraps.

Skill 11/11
Stamina 18/21
Luck 10/10
Special:
Last edited by Silent Wayfarer on Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

A warm and hospitable welcome.

Man, eight meters is quite a long way to fall! It's like the second -- or third, for you US people -- floor. And onto a stone floor no less. In RL this would spell the premature end of our hero's adventure, with at least one broken leg.

Oh well. So, the rungs are the obvious way out, therefore the trap must be there.

I vote we wait for the water to carry us up, and then smash our way out. I don't think grabbing the beam would gain us anything, even if we stood on it, it's still way below the trapdoor.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Yeah, 8 meters is almost 3 storeys. People can die from that.

Maybe Willie's impact was cushioned by the bodies. Maybe he's just that hardcore. I mean, he goes after hardened criminals with just a sword and the shirt on his back.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Wow, that is some fast pacing. I like. That said, wait.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's wait, the beam and the rungs probably have blades that cut off fingers.