[IC]Back to Basics

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Betsy shouts "CAN OWLBEARS CLIMB TREES?" even though she is about to find out all on her own.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

There are, in the Elfwood, black and brown owlbears that climb trees, but those are smaller and nimbler than the hulking beasts at the bottom of Betsy's pine. No, this is a grizzly owlbear of the Westwood, and it stands up on its hind legs, places its great paws on the thin pine that the halfling had selected, and pushes. Muscles bunch under its blood-spattered feathers, and it gives out a great squonk of effort, but such is the weight and strength of the beast that within moments there is a crack of wood as roots give way, and the tree sways and begins to fall...

[Since Betsy has delayed her action, she can now choose to do...well, whatever.]
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Betsy will blow on the whistle as she falls, in an attempt to land on the owlbear.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

"Toss lamp oil at the beast and set it alight!"
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"Our shots decide whether she lands in the jaws of a beast or onto a furry cushion."
Last edited by Dean on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Arrows thud into the beast, which moans and, finally, dies. Betsy attempts to land on the owlbear, but alas the fall is too far (>10 feet), and her little body is broken by the impact.

(Betsy is dead.)

(The owlbear is worth 420 XP, split equally among the four survivors - Tim, Atani, Xaxus, and Gilles - that's 105 XP each. Gilles must split his XP among both his classes. Characters that have sufficiently high primary attribute scores may receive a bonus - check your character sheets and the PHB.)
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Xaxus turns to the survivors and says, "Well, that was brutal. I'd like to say a few words for our departed comrades: the reaper hated them, as he hates all life, but at least they helped kill a huge beast. Much death happened here, and this pleases him as all death pleases him. Thank you, reaper of all life for your blessing in this fight, and suffering the we the survivors to live and kill others in your name. Amen."

As Xaxus takes his scythe and guts the owlbear from the base of its beak to its ass, searching for loot, he implores the party to gather the dead and secure the dungeon entrence.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"I'm less comfortable with the dead than you are, but I'll do with them as you direct. I would also like that beasts head, I think it would be useful to have in any further interactions with those gnomes."

Atani gathers up the bodies and takes their weapons and obvious valuables aside.

"How can we find this things lair? I imagine it's trails are not too hard to follow and I've heard Owlbears gather valuables out of animal instinct"
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

In the entrails of the owlbear you find three small skulls - gnomes, by the enlarged brainpan and adult teeth - a pair of ruined spectacles, a small silver ring carved with the image of a skull, and a short sword of exquisite workmanship, with steel rat skulls carved into hilt, guard, and pommel, with Gnomish runes etched in acid along the length of the blade.
Last edited by Ancient History on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Realizing that he should probably follow Xaxus in prayer, Gilles clears his throat and gives a few words of his own to the fallen:

"We should not grieve at the loss of our comrades, but praise their contributions to our cause. All who live shall die someday, but most of them die in a pathetic manner. Sir Spastis, Miss Pemberton-Tambling, and Guillermo the Minotaur are not among those many; instead, they died quickly and with minimal suffering. For giving their lives for us and slaying this foul beast, we must thank them. Even as the Sea Mother loathes the surface dwellers who oppress her children, she welcomes their aid in her great mercy, and for this we must thank her too. May she bless us all with long enough life to see our enemies snuffed out before we are. Amen."

Despite the great difficulty in overcoming the owlbear, as it is now not only dead, but an eviscerated corpse, Gilles doubts that it will make good sacrifice to Blibdoolpoolp. As such, he will not mock her grace with such a mangled offering. Instead, if the party manages to take one of the gnomes alive, Gilles will offer it as live sacrifice to her to show his thanks; he genuinely doubts anyone present will object to the deaths of the little demihumans.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Tim emerges from his hiding place, and is silently grateful that he could not and did not fight.

He's not so thoughtless as to bring it up, but he does bend down to investigate the contents of the owlbear's stomach.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

However the magical investigations go Atani will begin to set up camp outside the dungeon entrance. Figuring the group deserves a rest after this afternoons events.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

While searching the owlbear's entrails, Tim notes a spot on the liver that makes him look over at Betsy's corpse - and notices a strange key of elf-silver, the ornament on the handle of which is shaped like a clamshell. It appears to have fallen out of her pocket.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

"Strange, what's this?" Tim says, indicating the clamshell key. He's oddly calm for seeing most of his companions die in front of him; perhaps it's shock.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Tim remembers that the entranceway to the dungeon bore a similar symbol to the key.

Speaking of the entrance to the dungeon, perhaps attracted by the lack of screams, a tiny head peeks out and stares at the group as they set camp and examine the owlbear's entrails.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Did you find something, Tim?" Gilles asks. He turns to look at Tim (and possibly the tiny head at the entrance to the dungeon, depending on how keen Gilles' senses are.)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"We should see if that key works on the manacles inside, it's clearly important one way or the other. Maybe this damn gnome could tell us if he'd speak common" Atani says, noticing the little head.

Atani will try and coax the gnome out by indicating to the dead owlbear and using charades to indicate that he bested the monster. Then he will bring the gnome out and show him the sword and ring, attempting to use charades to understand whether the items are better than normal rings and swords. Thumbs ups, happy grunting, whatever is required, I just want to know if he knows if those things are magic or extra good or whatever. If the charades aren't working I would like to draw things in the dirt with the gnome as I think art could be a good medium for us to communicate with.

If he sprints off or tries to knick anything I will put three arrows into his back and leave his tiny corpse as a curiosity for later passersby.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

At Atani's gestures, the gnome pops its head back inside the dungeon.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

"Probably scared of us. I found a key, might be useful inside the dungeon."

He holds up the clamshell key, then looks back at the others.

"We should bury them..."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Nice," Gilles remarks, looking at the key. "Can I check it out in a moment?" (Gilles wants to make a Religion check on the key, to see if it is associated with any ancient religious traditions that might be useful to know about before delving further.) As for current issues... Gilles nods at Tim's suggestion.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"No one has any shovels and this ground is hard and full of roots. Perhaps that is a job best left to the Kings men, didn't he say he would send a unit behind us, for hauling and protection on the return back?"
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Xaxus bow his head solemnly and says, "The rites of the reaper are few but exact: we stack the corpses like cordwood on a sacred alter, deep in a catacomb. What happens next is up to charon, ferryman of the dead: two coins are flipped until both land either heads or tails. If heads, the high priest praises the reaper, blesses the assembled dead, and inters the dead in the catacombs; if tails, the high priest praises the reaper,the fallen are anointed with a host of a maggots that strip all the flesh, and the remaining bonesare blessed and interred in the catacombs."

"What I am saying is that we cannot "properly" honor the dead until the tomb is cleared."
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Ancient History
Serious Badass

From along the path comes the sound of men marching, and pack-animals. Soon you see two dwarfs and a half-elf, leading a party of henchmen, men-at-arms, and the two least delectable camp followers you have ever seen. The three adventurers provide letters of introduction from the king, here to join your enterprise, while the henchmen and guards are here to assist you in cleaning out the loot once the tomb has been cleared.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Atani makes acquaintances with the new camp arrivals, talks and chats and soaks in jittery fear-tinged excitement of the adventuring life. Of making new friends next to the bodies of old ones. After all involved have eaten, rested, and drank what they will Atani rises again ready to tackle the dread tomb. With his companions in tow Atani will gather gear and light lanterns and head back down into the earthen depths.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Lucas dons his armor and shield, and lights a lantern. With the lantern in his shield hand, and his trusty morning star in his left, he follows the others past the wreckage of the owlbear fight, and into the tomb.

"I have a very bad feeling about this. There's something down there."