Resource mechanics, ambushes, et cetera

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Then what you would end up with is a 'Five Moves Of Doom' thing where players intentionally or unintentionally cycled through the same list over and over for the best attack. So when the enemy had the 'scissors' tag they would use the 'rock' attack. And next round, now that they have the 'rock' tag the player would then use the 'paper' attack. And so-on.
This is a valid criticism, but I think that certain characters/enemies would gravitate towards certain styles of attack. It would, for example, give a reason to have a slightly-less effective maneuver since it uses a different Type than your #1 smashy attack. The mechanism isn't meant to force a constant cycle of golfbag attacks, but rather encourage some diversity. It's a more modest goal than spamming Rain of Blows + Quicksilver Stance + Trip Up whatever.

Frank's criticism is on the right track but I think it's ultimately empty. The intent isn't to model combat exactly, its to encourage meaningful diversity. Therefore the Type of attack isn't so arbitrary afterall - its not Yellow or Red (too abstract) or An Overhead Chop (too detailed), but simply a Reckless attack. The Type should be tied to the narrative, directly addressing the main flaw that Frank pointed out.

If the character wants to use his Crazy Madman Chop (Reckless) as a way to disarm (Precise), then you're within your rights to say, no.

Again, this is only a framework. I expect there are refinements but I don't think the concept is DOA.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FrankTrollman wrote:If your opponent is in the crane stance you cannot pull them n the direction of their momentum because they have no directional momentum. Period. End of story.

-Username17
So how come I can use 'Nose Punch' but not 'Ear Box'?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:If your opponent is in the crane stance you cannot pull them n the direction of their momentum because they have no directional momentum. Period. End of story.

-Username17
So how come I can use 'Nose Punch' but not 'Ear Box'?
Because they are facing you and their face is as far from your shoulder as your arm is long?

Why are you so fucking uncreative that you have to even ask that question?

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

I find the random maneuvers available often make tactics really hard to pull off. Usually the lists include important things like movement or the right type of damage (to get through some sort of resistant defense), it's like your IG guys only hurting SMs on a six. It just sucks.

If I'm fighting a fire monster, I don't want to roll a die and find that I have my fire attacks one out of six turns and ice attacks also one out of six. So I need to be able to tune that somehow.

I want my presence at the table to be meaningful, and too much randomosity can foil that.

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Crissa wrote: I want my presence at the table to be meaningful, and too much randomosity can foil that.

-Crissa
Rolling to hit? For or against?
Rolling a saving throw? For or against?

-Username17
TavishArtair
Knight-Baron

Post by TavishArtair »

So as to the specific issue at hand. We've all seen the usual WoF debate play out, so let's at least try to add something new to it.

Having all combatants, or even just entire sides be affected by a single WoF roll seems interesting. I played some TORG and it had similar aspects in the combat deck it drew from every turn to alter how the game flow played out. Some people could even have different results based on the same roll, which would alter how things work a bit, obviously. It would also make things a little more "my time to shine"-ish.

I actually think the fact that it was a deck altered things a lot, though. In a deck, it's not entirely random. Once a possibility is out, you discard it. I think the annoying part of a Winds of Fate roll is the knowledge that you can roll the same thing again and again.

Anyways, on the other issue, I think, if I calibrated things correctly, the advantage would not be too great. And as a general rule, I'd use it in a setting where movement was not very "fast." No greater teleports. So you can at the very least see people coming.

To connect the two, although it would obviously not be as compatible with "people getting different results from the same WoF roll," I was also thinking about random resource acquisition based on WoF.
Last edited by TavishArtair on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Because they are facing you and their face is as far from your shoulder as your arm is long?

-Username17
Frank, that's still an explanation for why the power won't work, not why you can't try.

I know that Ear Box won't ever work because the opponent is in the Philly Shell stance; what you're trying to tell me that it is impossible for Glass Joe to still try to strike at the ear the boxer is guarding anyway. I know it wonth't work, dammit, what in-game force is stopping him from at least making the attempt?
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I would assume that the first time Little Mac nails Glass Joe with a Shoryuken because he went for the Ear Box should be enough to dissuade him. Before that happens, Joe could know in a meta sense that the attack would be ineffectual.

It's a contextual cue that may or may not be only on a mechanical sense (like Monster Rancher not allowing you to do close range attacks when the monster is in another arena for example)
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Thymos
Knight

Post by Thymos »

There is another possible solution that I proposed a while ago to switch up combat.

Tie some passive bonuses to the Powers people use, so that when they use the powers they lose the passive bonuses.

It can be done by tieing specific powers to specific bonuses, or simply having a pool that gives you a bonus every round and have powers subtract from that pool.

I feel that if your intent is to change up combat this would probably work the best.

Another thing occurred to me. Has anyone considered adding, say, an element to everything. When someone uses an attack, the battlefield has the element of the attack just used. This would then provide bonuses and penalties to all the other elements that are to attack next (probably a penalty to attacks of the same element, bonuses to attacks of the opposite element).
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I would assume that the first time Little Mac nails Glass Joe with a Shoryuken because he went for the Ear Box should be enough to dissuade him. Before that happens, Joe could know in a meta sense that the attack would be ineffectual.
So why can't we make it so that if Joe attempts to use an Ear Box a second time (or any time he doesn't have an opening) he gets an uppercut to the face?

As long as you have a player with enough sense not to spam Exercise Program C it accomplishes the same thing in the end--taking people out of of the cycle of using the same moves over and over. But it also doesn't require any post hoc justification from the players as to why they did what they did.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Quantumboost
Knight-Baron

Post by Quantumboost »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
So why can't we make it so that if Joe attempts to use an Ear Box a second time (or any time he doesn't have an opening) he gets an uppercut to the face?

As long as you have a player with enough sense not to spam Exercise Program C it accomplishes the same thing in the end--taking people out of of the cycle of using the same moves over and over. But it also doesn't require any post hoc justification from the players as to why they did what they did.
I don't see much real difference between "You can't use this ability unless you get a roll of x, y, or z" and "This ability doesn't accomplish anything except on a roll of x, y, or z. Seriously. You might even get punished for it, it's that bad". It doesn't make much difference as far as the math etc. works out except for giving the player an option to fail due to sheer incompetence.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I don't see much real difference between "You can't use this ability unless you get a roll of x, y, or z" and "This ability doesn't accomplish anything except on a roll of x, y, or z. Seriously. You might even get punished for it, it's that bad". It doesn't make much difference as far as the math etc. works out except for giving the player an option to fail due to sheer incompetence.
It's the difference between D&D flat-out refusing to let the adventure continue without DM fiat if your cleric doesn't wear a holy symbol and D&D telling you that if you don't wear a holy symbol you're going to be doing some major suckage.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Psychic Robot
Prince

Post by Psychic Robot »

Making it impossible is stupid. Make it improbable is another thing entirely.
Count Arioch wrote:I'm not sure how discussions on whether PR is a terrible person or not is on-topic.
Ant wrote:
Chamomile wrote:Ant, what do we do about Psychic Robot?
You do not seem to do anything.
Rejakor
Master

Post by Rejakor »

I actually agree with lago on this. If i'm playing a stupid person, why can't my stupid person try to ear box even thought it's going to be incredibly ineffective? The fact that the system doesn't even let me try in my mind just shuts down my suspension of disbelief. Being told that 'one minute I can ear box and the next I just...can't..' is what I hate in all combat systems ever. If the WoF die determined the /special/ attack you could use, ToB style, that would work. But making it scissor paper rock with dice? Why am I sitting at the table for this combat segment again?
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Assume a combat round is at least six seconds long (and I think we want it to be longer, since 10 rounds is a long fight in almost any system, and 1 minute is pretty short for a climactic battle)

If that's the case, a lot more than one swing, attack combo, whatever, are being used. From my own sparring experience I can say that six seconds is enough time for you to clash techniques with your opponents, change stance/strategy, and then DO IT AGAIN for a total of three "moves" or more per round.

So no, the game isn't generating the list of moves you're allowed to do, it's generating the list you're allowed to HIT WITH. If your character wanted to Ear Box but he rolled Nose Punch, just say "My character comes in light on toes, trying to box his opponent in the ear -- the enemy bats it aside, but is too slow recovering, and I smash him in the nose with my other hand"
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

As for the random vs choice battle on WoF...
1: A OR B this round
2: B OR C this round
3: C OR A this round
4: A OR B this round
5: B or C this round
6: A OR C this round

If you want more abilities/options, there's stuff like this:

1 A, B, C
2 B, C, D
3 C, D, A
4 A, B, D

either specific moves for A, B, etc or tags (I prefer tags). Having exactly 1/3 of your abilities ruled out on any given round is actually pretty good of a way to prevent spamming. Having prereqs on specific abilities (target must have had two tag X moves completed against them this encounter to use high power tag Y move against target) would further be a way to escalate combat and have SoD like effects without RLT.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:

-Username17
Frank, that's still an explanation for why the power won't work, not why you can't try.

I know that Ear Box won't ever work because the opponent is in the Philly Shell stance; what you're trying to tell me that it is impossible for Glass Joe to still try to strike at the ear the boxer is guarding anyway. I know it wonth't work, dammit, what in-game force is stopping him from at least making the attempt?
If your opponent's ear is out of your reach or your opponent's hand is between where your arm is and where his ear is, you won't ear box him. Even if you perform a swing towards his head you won't ear box him. That punch will not connect with his ear. It could connect with his side or his arm or something. It could totally be effective, but it will not game mechanically be resolved as an ear box. If you want to claim that the reason you punched the dude in the arm (potentially forcing him to drop an object) is that you were "trying to box his ears but the arm was in the way" be my guest.

Stop being fucking obtuse.

-Username17
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

It could totally be effective, but it will not game mechanically be resolved as an ear box. If you want to claim that the reason you punched the dude in the arm (potentially forcing him to drop an object) is that you were "trying to box his ears but the arm was in the way" be my guest.
And see, that's why I don't care for this post hoc justification. It pulls you out of the experience of telling a story and reminds you that you're playing a game.

Yes, it sort of works for the boxing example because to the layperson a nose punch isn't all that different from an eye punch; hell, they could be the same punch but it depends on where the opponent is.

But it falls apart when, say, people question why Green Arrow can shoot a flame arrow at Firestorm but not an ice arrow when he has both in his quiver. Saying that Firestorm is on the lookout for an ice arrow so he'll automatically burn it midair if Green Arrow tries to shoot it out of nowhere works. But preventing Green Arrow from actually putting the damn ice arrow in his bow and shooting it is retarded.

Can't you come up with something better than 'no, you can't, and YOU the player have to justify it'?
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Does WoF differentiate between melee and ranged combat options I hope? It would stink if your random selections prevented any options.
Last edited by erik on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

clikml wrote:Does WoF differentiate between melee and ranged combat options I hope? It would stink if your random selections prevented any options.
If a guy's theme is that he shoots things with his bow, he sure as hell shouldn't have to worry about AoOs or any of that crap (immediate action shadow jumps, shooting so fast they just don't get to react, being able to move and shoot so shoot while tumbling out of the blows, etc).

If a guy's thing is hitting people in the face, he sure as hell should be able to get in a guy's face to hit him (super flight, teleportation, etc).

Essentially, whatever your options are (melee or ranged), you should be able to use the one that is your thing.

Since I'm in favor of "Real Abilities," you straight up shouldn't be able to have an ability you won't be able to be able to use short of "Specific monster counter to Ability class C"

And even the, you still get A or B no matter how you roll and those are all real abilities at your disposal.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

ubernoob wrote:Having exactly 1/3 of your abilities ruled out on any given round is actually pretty good of a way to prevent spamming.
Not really.
1: If we're looking at something like D&D where combats last maybe 3 rounds that matter, and you're randomly determining which 1/3 of your abilities are ruled out, There's actually a good chance that you can spam the same ability for all 3 rounds. If the tactical incentive to spam is still there, people will still do it until the very moment that that 1/3 chance to cut it out comes up. Half the time it's not actually preventing actions at all.
2: Things like "I can't fire that arrow this round" is a bad dissociative mechanic. You know, the thing we don't like 4e for. It's very artificial and it will cause the same kind of feeling that people get when they run into a glitch in a videogame. It pulls them out of that "trance" where they think they're Conan the Barbarian and makes them think "Oh yeah, I'm in a game." It threatens immersion. The arguments given by others in the thread reinforce this.
3: It's seriously not terribly impossible to create a system that discourages spamming through tactical or strategic viability of choices on a changing battlefield (or restricting choices as a result of things actually happening in the game). I can draw tons of examples from videogames. Say, Soul Calibur. Against any player who actually knows how to play, you will get screwed over hard if you try to spam moves. For a completely different kind of example, consider Chess. Again, you want to change up your strategies so that you don't get predicted, countered, and fail. Spamming generally arises from a lack of tactically competitive options and a lack of dynamic gameplay. If you have dynamic gameplay and an array of tactical options that appear viable without the aid of a chess supercomputer, then you don't need someone to roll "Winds of Fate" to determine that you can only move your knights or bishop that turn.

Winds of Fate feels like Super Smash Brothers Brawl's "random tripping" to me. Rather than actually introduce dynamic tactical elements into the game, it just seems you want to roll the dice to determine what action you should take. And don't say "without random determination of options there is only one best option so people will always pick that same one." By that argument Chess would be a crap game.
Last edited by Caedrus on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

nt
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Caedrus wrote:
ubernoob wrote:Having exactly 1/3 of your abilities ruled out on any given round is actually pretty good of a way to prevent spamming.
Not really.
1: If we're looking at something like D&D where combats last maybe 3 rounds that matter, and you're randomly determining which 1/3 of your abilities are ruled out, There's actually a good chance that you can spam the same ability for all 3 rounds. If the tactical incentive to spam is still there, people will still do it until the very moment that that 1/3 chance to cut it out comes up. Half the time it's not actually preventing actions at all.
2: Things like "I can't fire that arrow this round" is a bad dissociative mechanic. You know, the thing we don't like 4e for. It's very artificial and it will cause the same kind of feeling that people get when they run into a glitch into a videogame. It pulls them out of that "trance" where they think they're Conan the Barbarian and makes them think "Oh yeah, I'm in a game." The arguments given by others in the thread reinforce this.
3: It's seriously not terribly impossible to create a system that discourages spamming through tactical or strategic viability of choices on a changing battlefield (or restricting choices as a result of things actually happening in the game). I can draw tons of examples from videogames. Say, Soul Calibur. Against any player who actually knows how to play, you will get screwed over hard if you try to spam moves. Spamming generally arises from a lack of tactically competitive options and a lack of dynamic gameplay.

Winds of Fate feels like Super Smash Brothers Brawl's "random tripping" to me. Rather than actually introduce dynamic tactical elements into the game, it just seems you want to roll the dice to determine what action you should take. And don't say "without random determination of options there is only one best option so people will always pick that same one." By that argument Chess would be a crap game.
1: [Defensive Tree] OR [Reckless Tree] this round
2: [Reckless Tree] OR [Precise Tree] this round
3: [Precise Tree] OR [Defensive Tree] this round
4: [Defensive Tree] OR [Reckless Tree] this round
5: [Reckless Tree] or [Precise Tree] this round
6: [Defensive Tree] OR [Precise Tree] this round

Opening Assault [Reckless] (None)
Full Round Action
You charge and attack the enemy. You gain +2 to hit and damage over a normal charge, but have -4 to AC in addition to the normal penalties. You may full attack at the end of this charge.

Parry [Defensive] (none)
Immediate Action
When attacked, make an attack roll at your highest melee to hit. If this attack roll beats your opponent's attack roll, the attack misses even if it would normally hit you. The opponent must make a save or else become afraid of your bad assery and take a -3 penalty to rolls against you.

Brutal Chop [Reckless] (Defensive 1)
Standard action
You make a single attack at a +4 to hit bonus. This does double damage. If you hit, the target is stunned (save negates) for one round.
If you miss, your balance falters and you lose your next move action (this round if applicable) and take a -4 penalty to AC.

Head shot [Precise] (Reckless 2)
Standard action
You make a single attack at a +10 to hit. If this hits, the target dies.

the [] is the tag for that ability, and the () is what that enemy must have been hit with this encounter already to use that specific ability against them. As you take more hits, the enemies get to use more and more lethal combat actions agianst you, but won't be able to necessarily time when Head Shot is open (they have only a 4/9 chance to get two reckless in the first round and then a 2/3 to get precise, so the odds of that specific killer move being open is 8/27).

But yeah, I think it could be workable for a dynamic system that doesn't automatically lead to magic style four move wins or RLT from the getgo.
Caedrus
Knight-Baron

Post by Caedrus »

ubernoob wrote:
Caedrus wrote:
Not really.
2: Things like "I can't fire that arrow this round" is a bad dissociative mechanic. You know, the thing we don't like 4e for. It's very artificial and it will cause the same kind of feeling that people get when they run into a glitch into a videogame. It pulls them out of that "trance" where they think they're Conan the Barbarian and makes them think "Oh yeah, I'm in a game." The arguments given by others in the thread reinforce this.
3: It's seriously not terribly impossible to create a system that discourages spamming through tactical or strategic viability of choices on a changing battlefield (or restricting choices as a result of things actually happening in the game). I can draw tons of examples from videogames. Say, Soul Calibur. Against any player who actually knows how to play, you will get screwed over hard if you try to spam moves. Spamming generally arises from a lack of tactically competitive options and a lack of dynamic gameplay.

1: [Defensive Tree] OR [Reckless Tree] this round
2: [Reckless Tree] OR [Precise Tree] this round
3: [Precise Tree] OR [Defensive Tree] this round
4: [Defensive Tree] OR [Reckless Tree] this round
5: [Reckless Tree] or [Precise Tree] this round
6: [Defensive Tree] OR [Precise Tree] this round

Opening Assault [Reckless] (None)
Full Round Action
You charge and attack the enemy. You gain +2 to hit and damage over a normal charge, but have -4 to AC in addition to the normal penalties. You may full attack at the end of this charge.

Parry [Defensive] (none)
Immediate Action
When attacked, make an attack roll at your highest melee to hit. If this attack roll beats your opponent's attack roll, the attack misses even if it would normally hit you. The opponent must make a save or else become afraid of your bad assery and take a -3 penalty to rolls against you.

Brutal Chop [Reckless] (Defensive 1)
Standard action
You make a single attack at a +4 to hit bonus. This does double damage. If you hit, the target is stunned (save negates) for one round.
If you miss, your balance falters and you lose your next move action (this round if applicable) and take a -4 penalty to AC.

Head shot [Precise] (Reckless 2)
Standard action
You make a single attack at a +10 to hit. If this hits, the target dies.

the [] is the tag for that ability, and the () is what that enemy must have been hit with this encounter already to use that specific ability against them. As you take more hits, the enemies get to use more and more lethal combat actions agianst you, but won't be able to necessarily time when Head Shot is open (they have only a 4/9 chance to get two reckless in the first round and then a 2/3 to get precise, so the odds of that specific killer move being open is 8/27).

But yeah, I think it could be workable for a dynamic system that doesn't automatically lead to magic style four move wins or RLT from the getgo.
Alright, I can see the benefits there (when combined with the other factors, like needing iterative precise moves). Regarding dissociative mechanics: You could avoid it, but you'd have to be very careful about what the abilities are and the fluff that goes with it. For example, the Green Arrow example given earlier.

And I personally would prefer the dynamic flow to arise more from strategic interactivity than from dice rolling, but that's just personal taste. I would rather play Advance Wars than Texas Hold'em, but that's me.
Last edited by Caedrus on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Caedrus wrote: Alright, I can see the benefits there (when combined with the other factors, like needing iterative precise moves). Regarding dissociative mechanics: You could avoid it, but you'd have to be very careful about what the abilities are and the fluff that goes with it. For example, the Green Arrow example given earlier.

And I personally would prefer the dynamic flow to arise more from strategic interactivity than from dice rolling, but that's just personal taste. I would rather play Advance Wars than Texas Hold'em, but that's me.
The Green Arrow is a stupid case, really. A guy that has a billiion different types of arrows? That's a wizard with reflavored scrolls. That's not different moves, but different equipment. But as for strategic interactivity versus die rolling, rolling dice is fun. Seriously, getting out my dice and rolling them is half the appeal of TTRPGs for me. Being able to make combat a bit harder to predict the flow (versus becoming 3E style perfect strategy) is a good thing IMO.