A funny way to beat Truesight

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

User3
Prince

A funny way to beat Truesight

Post by User3 »

So, I was reading the FAQ, and it says that Truesight lets you see Ethereal Objects. Also, those same objects block line of sight if you can see them with Truesight.

So, if you want a secret lair to be Truesight-proof, you go into the Ethereal, cast Wall of Stone everywhere(though I'm not sure if ethereal stone counts as place to put this spell), then come back. In the real world you pass through ethereal stuff and its invisible; a person using Truesight would be blind.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: A funny way to beat Truesight

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

You know, I find that strangely plausable, somehow.

A lot of rules trickery would just seem bizarre and nonsensical in an actual game, but that trickactually seems like it would make sense.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Nice one. :thumb: For extra fun add explosive runes to those walls.
Murtak
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Murtak wrote:For extra fun add explosive runes to those walls.

That doesn't work. A Force Effect generated on the material extends into the ethereal, but a Force Effect generated on the ethereal does not extend into the material.

So while you can create a force sword on the material and then have an ethereal creature pick it up and beat the living crap out of material people, an explosive runes cast on an ethereal object would explode harmlessly if a material enemy with true sight saw it.

-Username17
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Bleh, you are right - you would need a non-physical or a force effect for that little trick to work. And explosive runes is the only trap spell that explodes when being read, right? At least I can't remember any spell that works like explosive runes.
Murtak
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Can you inscibe contingent spells on objects? 'Cause I'm thinking that a contingent Plane Shift could be fun...
RandomCasualty
Prince

Post by RandomCasualty »

Yeah this is a cool way of countering true seeing. I'll have to use this in one of my games sometime.
Sma
Master

Post by Sma »

The Transdimensional Spell metamagic should amke the Runes explode into the material IIRC
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Care to quote the relevant FAQ entry? Or at least give a page reference?

Because that's not quite what the core rules say.

As per the spell wording, "the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Place."

Which seems to me to indicate that True Seeing gives the option of seeing ethereal or not seeing ethereal - in which case purely ethereal objects should not block a material plane to material plane of sight, but would block material to astral lin of sight.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Doh, and it was such a nice idea too. :mad:

It still works in a very limited fashion - if someone casts true seeing in the middle of all these walls he would probably be blind for one turn, seeing as there is normally no reason to not see into the ethereal. That would be sufficient to trigger explsoive runes, but sadly transdimensional spell explicitely states that the spell affects creatures on the ethereal, the plane of shadow or in extradimensional spaces.
Murtak
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Well, page 45 of the FAQ link uses the phrase "an ethereal wall would be visible to someone using True Seeing or a similiar effect."

What the spell text of "can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane" means is up to anyone's guess.
Murtak
Duke

Post by Murtak »

Well, considering the previous paragraph lists everything true seeing always does and then goes on to state what it can do it seems rather clear to me that seeing into the ethereal is not an "always on" property of the spell.

What it does not state is how you switch between seeing into the ethereal and not. If I had to make a judgement call I would say you decide at the beginning of your turn, but it could just as well be a free action or be determined when you cast the spell.
Murtak
User3
Prince

Post by User3 »

Here's an additional clarifiaction on ethereaness that supports my interpretation. link The text states:

WoTC site, Skip wrote:With respect to creatures and objects on the Material Plane, an ethereal creature has many of the properties of invisibility and incorporeality. In fact, the rules often speak of ethereal creatures as invisible and incorporeal. Unfortunately, an ethereal creature is not really invisible (just unseen) and it is not incorporeal at all (though it can do many of the same things that an incorporeal creature can do). This last point is worth repeating: The rules tend to use the terms etherealness and incorporeality interchangeably because it is convenient to do so, but the two are not equivalent. Here's a summary of the abilities and properties an ethereal creature has with respect to objects and creatures on the Material Plane:

* Effective invisibility and silence.

Although a creature on the Ethereal can see indistinctly into the Material Plane (see pages 151 and 293 in the Dungeon Master's Guide), creatures on the Material Plane can't see into the Ethereal without some kind of magical aid. A detect invisibility or true seeing spell used on the Material Plane reveals things on the Ethereal.