OSSR: Demon the Fallen

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I mean, to be fair, I'm having to do a good bit of changing things for this game. I'm putting more of a focus on reducing Torment, and with that, I'm inverting the idea that you pay xp to lower your Torment. When characters reduce their Torment, they will get xp for that. I have to write a mechanic for actually doing things to cope with trauma, and even write rules for how Torment actually manifests, because WW never bothered with nuance, or even accuracy of portrayal.

I've got ideas, but beyond the general idea that there's going to be a chapter about obtaining a method for awakening mortal avatars, and knowing that it will be a lengthy ritual involving a demon from each house, I don't know the specifics. I fully expect that I will decide to write an entirely new mage tradition for it.

I think writing new rules and rewriting pieces so things do what you want them to is fully a major part of being a GM. On the one hand, WW is more prone to this than other games, and you could see it as a weakness. But on the other, one could look at the fact that due to mindcaulk necessity and how nothing in WoD fits together, and see, if not strengths, advantages. It means that your players may be more used to major changes when they sit down to a new WoD game.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

My main beef with Demon is that the niche of what we know is a "demon" is already occupied. The WoD already had a group of insidious puppetmasters/tempters/powermongers/secret masters of the world... vampires. Sure, infernalism was always there from the get go, but you only actually cared about it if you played Sabbat... and then comes this book with demons that do nothing of the shit they do in any of the other games. Hell, at least mummies already had a niche in the WoD, and Resurrection more or less sticks with it.

For all I cared, that book might as well be named Demon: The Quest For More Money.
Last edited by Dogbert on Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Dogbert wrote:My main beef with Demon is that the niche of what we know is a "demon" is already occupied. The WoD already had a group of insidious puppetmasters/tempters/powermongers/secret masters of the world... vampires.

I mean, ok, I'm a Satanist, but I know I'm not alone in "knowing" demons are, y'know, supernatural rebellion fighters.

...now, granted, that niche is sorta occupied already, too, you could play that story out with either Werewolf or Mage.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

hyzmarca wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
DrPraetor wrote:Are they not compatible with the Demons in V:tM?
Just ask, "are both games made by White Wolf?" If the answer is yes, then no, they are in no way compatible.

Side note: after going on a White Wolf binge (holy crap I didn't realize how prominent wolf rape was in Werewolf, I thought that was hyperbole), I was talking to my ex mentioning how the games aren't compatible in the least. She said in a snotty tone "Everything works if the Narrator makes it work". I replied by that logic, crazed rabid ferrets could be made to work as sex toys but it's just easier to use something better suited for the purpose. She didn't talk to me for three days...
Smoothing over the oWoD's setting differences is probably easier than putting condoms on rabid ferrets. For one, I could just bang something out in 20 minutes, for the other I'd want thick hazmat gloves.
I also don thick hazmat gloves before playing someone's OWOD kludge.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Found a new series on Netflix, Nobody's Looking, about a newly created guardian angel who bucks the rules.

I'm not even through the first episode, and this is already better source material for a Demon game than... most of the source material list in the book.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Side note: after going on a White Wolf binge (holy crap I didn't realize how prominent wolf rape was in Werewolf, I thought that was hyperbole)

Yeah, people routinely go through the stages of grief when they find a White Wolf thread and assume that we're the real perverts. I don't even bat an eye at it anymore. Still, it's gratifying when people check things out themselves though and realize that we're just reporting what we saw.
bears fall, everyone dies
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'm just saying, a good bit of what people say here is exaggerated for comic effect. I'm used to looking at these games and finding out "Oh, there's the problem The Den had with this game, it exists but is not as bad as they made it sound".
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.