How does your Heartbreaker... divide up magic?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

deaddmwalking wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote: If Ability X might come online at Level 5 and might come online at Level 8, it's definitely not going to be a balanced offering. Maybe it will be OP at level 5, maybe it will be underpowered at level 8. Maybe both, but it's literally impossible to thread the needle where it is neither because 8 > 5.
Why is personal flight overpowered at 5th level but underpowered at 8th level? Flight is an ability that is useful in a lot of situations over several levels. Getting access to flight early can represent a class ability (or racial ability) that's interesting/thematic/nice to have, but it isn't likely to make you OVERPOWERED even at 1st level. There are some problems you can solve, but it doesn't make you invincible.
Flight plus a sling enables you to take out four ogres with zero risk. You snipe them until they die, and the rest of the party just leaves. If you get it before schedule, powers like personal flight obviate entire level appropriate encounters.

At that point, if everyone else has to wait until 8th level to get flight, they're all getting
gipped
(apparently this is a racial slur but I'm leaving this note for posterity).

If, at level 8, everyone gets to backfill some ability from 5th level, yours can be flight, but that's not what Frank meant.

. If you get flight instead of a level-8 appropriate ability - I dunno, Solid Fog or Charm Monster - you're getting
gipped
(apparently this is a racial slur but I'm leaving this note for posterity).
Last edited by DrPraetor on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

What it means for things to be "level appropriate" is that you can meaningfully make a set of challenges such that you can look at a potential player character and decide whether they are able to pull their weight. If you're giving out the same abilities at different levels, then any set of challenges you write is going to be too hard or too easy or both at any level you look at.

There's a whole separate issue where "You're a fifth level wizard and now you can cast 3rd level spells" was bullshit in 1989 and it's 2020 now and what the hell are you doing? Obviously if you're going to have character levels and spell levels then the spell levels should be the same as the character levels you get them at. Because fucking obviously. Doing otherwise is THAC0-esque cargo cultism and you should stop doing whatever you're doing that makes you think that's a remotely acceptable idea.

But the bottom line is that while you can divide up magic into 9 categories and have people choose one of the categories to get spells from "on time" and get spells from a number of other categories from behind the curve, you obviously shouldn't do that. Such a system creates an enormous number of trap options and makes playtesting the thing virtually impossible (there are five hundred and four selections of 3 from a group of 9 if the order matters), while delivering very little in the way of character concept support (there are still only 9 flavors of magic in this example).

Giving characters deliberately underleveled abilities makes your game extremely bad for casual play. You're creating hundreds of builds and most of them will miss out on getting important abilities at the level they need them. And even figuring out which are better or worse requires literally thousands of comparison operations. You've created a system where you could lose character creation but not find out about it until 7th level.

Think about what this would look like in a computer game: "This quest is appropriate for characters who have Biomancy at 5 or Thaumaturgy at 6, so appropriate character level would be 5, 6, 7, 8, or 12 depending on build." That might be OK in an MMO. Doing the dungeons in a different order with different characters gives the game some replayability. But in a table top RPG? Are you fucking kidding me? When you replay the game, you're going to do completely different dungeons, because it's a lot easier to make that kind of content when you literally just make it up rather than having to code it all.

-Username17
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

FrankTrollman wrote: Think about what this would look like in a computer game: "This quest is appropriate for characters who have Biomancy at 5 or Thaumaturgy at 6, so appropriate character level would be 5, 6, 7, 8, or 12 depending on build."
No - we would say 'this quest is appropriate for level 5 characters'. We would know that level 5 characters would have appropriate abilities to handle the challenges they face regardless of class or build. Everyone gets level-appropriate abilities.

Regarding spell levels/class levels. We currently have 7 levels of spells (instead of 9), and 12 class levels (instead of 20). We quickly determined that trying to divide up the spell levels into 12 groups was pointless and stupid. What we found instead is that every couple of levels access to spells that were obviously better than the prior list made sense.

We made Caster Level equal to the highest level of spell you could cast instead of equal to Character Level. If you say 'I have a Caster Level of 5' you're saying 'I can cast 5th level spells'. Knowing that you're going to have relevant abilities regardless of build means it doesn't really matter if you're a 12th level character with a CL of 5 or a 9th level character with a CL of 5. What will matter is your Character Level.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

deaddmwalking wrote:Regarding spell levels/class levels. We currently have 7 levels of spells (instead of 9), and 12 class levels (instead of 20). We quickly determined that trying to divide up the spell levels into 12 groups was pointless and stupid. What we found instead is that every couple of levels access to spells that were obviously better than the prior list made sense.
That sounds very much like Advanced Dungeons & Dragons. What the fuck? That was a bad way to present information in 1979, and it's more than forty years later and it hasn't gotten any better. You really need to ask yourself "Is this a bad idea that was correctly identified as being a bad idea by children before I was even born?" And if the answer to that question is an unqualified yes, you need to rethink.
DDMW wrote:No - we would say 'this quest is appropriate for level 5 characters'. We would know that level 5 characters would have appropriate abilities to handle the challenges they face regardless of class or build. Everyone gets level-appropriate abilities.
This is getting a little bit into a semantic circle jerk of self referential definitions. Obviously whatever abilities your system outputs for character level 5 are "level appropriate" by the definitions of your game, because you have defined the level appropriateness as being whatever the game outputs for character level 5. See: Reasoning, Circular.

But the way you have things set up you will never be able to define a set of challenges that the set of possible 5th level characters are meaningfully appropriate for comparison to. From the magic lists alone, you have some people selecting options from the 1st level at 5th level and some characters picking from the 3rd level at 5th level (see what a fucking ballache this nomenclature is?). Therefore any challenge that you could construct or imagine that has a "you must be this tall to succeed" stamp defined by access to abilities must contend with the fact that you do not know a priori whether characters will have access at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd level to abilities from any particular list at level 5.
  • But Frank, what if all abilities scaled to character level, such that whether you were using a 1st level Biomancy ability or a 3rd level Biomancy ability, it was still a 5th level ability because it scaled to your character level?
I'm glad you asked, hypothetical rhetorical. See: that's bullshit. Some abilities are amenable to being meaningfully treadmilled, and others just aren't. Firebolt can replace itself with Bigger Firebolt when you go up a level, but Comprehend Languages is just the thing in itself. You can arbitrarily declare some facet of the ability like duration or range to scale with character level, but you won't ever particularly give a shit. Having it and not having it is the only meaningful variable, and anything else you try to vary by level is just fiddly bullshit that makes the parameters of the game hard to remember.
  • But Frank, what if we gave a wide enough breadth of abilities at each level such that the team would meet their challenge benchmarks at each level no matter what selection of primary and secondary magics they had?
I'm glad you asked that, unnamed rhetorical question offerer. The reason that's never going to work is because it's obviously never going to work. You have 12 levels to test at, 9 potential primary magics by 8 potential secondary and 7 potential tertiary magics, thousands of iterations for what is still in a very real sense just 9 flavors of magic. You're never going to be able to even run through all the possibilities of ability assignment for 12 levels of play, because that's over six thousand iterations. Is having Fire Primary and Water secondary something that is good enough, too good, or not good enough in level 10 adventures? You don't know, you've never even made a sample character that fit that description.

Look, there are lots of games which don't even have levels. You make whatever characters and the MC eyeballs the actual team and sets opposition accordingly. Champions, GURPS, Vampire, Shadowrun, and so on and so on. Nothing says you have to use levels in your game. But if you do use levels, they should have consistent meaning. Anything else is unjustifiable madness.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I've been seeing "Magic elements not based on ancient fire water whatnot, but the Four Fundamental Forces" more often.

Gravity
Electromagnetism
Weak Nuclear
Strong Nuclear

Some discussions on it:
https://worldbuilding.stackexchange.com ... rdAC-0qxMc

My thoughts on how to divide up powers for such a magic system that sounds thematically science-ish enough.

Gravity- gravity pulls on things, including light and time so funky higher end stuff
- increase/Decrease existing gravitational forces
- Create new gravity wells
- Wormholes, teleporting??? I've seen those powers attributed to gravity manipulation but I don't know how

Electromagnetism the force of cool light stuff and touching things
- Force fields
- Lightning
- Light/Illusion
- Magnets, maybe creating attractive forces to make things run into each other but that's getting into magic gravity's stuff

Weak Nuclear
- Transmuting elements like... well shouldn't require memorizing the real world periodic table
- Releasing radiation or turning it into safe elements

Strong Nuclear
- remove bonds so things turn to dust
- Fusion, nuclear fusion? I think irl that requires weak nuclear forces too, but as a game system it could go here
- Making bonds on things harder to break to strengthen them? Not sure if that makes sense

I think the first two forces are straightforward to visualize. I don't quite picture what the 'sgnature moves' of weak and strong nuclear forces and how they're different.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

OgreBattle wrote: I think the first two forces are straightforward to visualize. I don't quite picture what the 'sgnature moves' of weak and strong nuclear forces and how they're different.
Thing is, the electromagetic and weak forces are kinda the same and so is the strong force.

Right now there's only two clearly distinct forces, "Gravity" and "Everything else", and that's mostly because we still haven't figured out what exactly gravity even is nor how to manipulate it. We can make fusion, fission, magnets, light, etc often interacting directly with each other, but nobody figured out how to increase/reduce gravity besides "increase/drecrease mass".
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Krusk
Knight-Baron

Post by Krusk »

Now I'd like to know if and how you have approached dividing magic up in your game and setting. I'm interested in the in-world fiction, the effects you've relegated to each kind of magic, and any resource mechanics these magics might use. Do characters get access to more than one type of magic? Did you think about archetypes you wanted to support first, or go theme-first. Did you get inspiration from classical or taoist elements, magic the gathering, or some piece of media I don't know?
Late to the thread, but eternally working on my own heartbreaker. It started as a 3.5 rewrite, and in the loosest sense of the word is compatible. Now it basically isn't, but you can infer some basic mechanics.

My heartbreaker is 20 levels long, with 4 tiers of play. A core conceit of the game is that as you go up a tier, you don't care about your previous abilities much from a mechanical perspective. your new stuff is so cool it just doesn't even register. I embraced a "class-splosion" mindset that was all the rage here a bit ago, and is now broadly disliked. My core book has 20 5 level classes, and about 20 or so per tier after that for a total of 100ish classes. Core book is finished, and I'm spinning around on the MM stuff now. Its also probably all broken as shit, but I need the structure to play with before I can do much.

At its core, I broke each "power source" into its own thing, in a similar model to 4e. Characters pick a power source at first level, and that governs their power recharge mechanic. Arcane is spells per day, primal is stances, ki is a pool that builds up, divine is a random list of slas (blessings) for the day from a small pool, and Pact is having a pet that give you powers that you can do at will. Multiclassing is strictly forbidden, but every tier you pick a new class from your power source, which has similar and theoretically compatible abilities. Prestige, paragon, and epic classes do not have prerequisites, aside from a level gate.

EX: Wizard 5/Evoker 5/Avangion 5/Planeswalker 5. For a wizard who is a traditional blaster, into a demolition mage for war, into a winged angel beast that rains fire from the sky, that eventually rains fire from all skies.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

At its core, I broke each "power source" into its own thing, in a similar model to 4e. Characters pick a power source at first level, and that governs their power recharge mechanic.
Rider effects or minor action abilities are a way to get individual class distinction from shared power lists, like leaving a lingering pillar of flame for battlefield control, igniting targets for more damage, excluding spaces for defensive use.

maglag wrote: Thing is, the electromagetic and weak forces are kinda the same and so is the strong force.

Right now there's only two clearly distinct forces, "Gravity" and "Everything else", and that's mostly because we still haven't figured out what exactly gravity even is nor how to manipulate it. We can make fusion, fission, magnets, light, etc often interacting directly with each other, but nobody figured out how to increase/reduce gravity besides "increase/drecrease mass".
Approaching it as the Grand Unified Magic with specializations or subschools does make it easier. Space-Time curvature manipulating being a separate art feels thematic and mysterious.

So...

Graviton
- Gravity wells
- Space folding, tunneling
- Time relativity

Grand Unified
- Lightning, force fields, magnetism telekinesis
- Transmutation
- Nuclear explosion, disintegration, radiation

Now cold can be descrbed as the absence of heat. So for a game that at least has the laws of thermo dynamics for flavor, that heat/energy has to go somewhere. Cold being associated with deathly life drain fits as now the vampire can drain heat with their icy grasp, then convert that energy into a gamma death ray eye beam.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Looked at the last heartbreaker I was considering, years back now. I was starting with mechanics and class differentiation schemes and never even finished that. But the placeholder magic split I had was:

Might - physical enhancement, healing, dancing weapons, blade barrier, etc
Sleight - trickery, stealth, fooling the senses, darkness, disguise magic, etc
Bright - illumination, blasting, warding, and pull a clue out of your ass spells.
Clyde - orange, sometimes purple.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

In the RPG I was starting to make about fighting galactic corporations as a plucky team of heist-pulling demigods before I got distracted by exploring the possibilities of bringing Looter Shooter to genres like starfox and bejeweled, each player would choose one superpower, like from Minority Report or Chronicle, to have their character be the sole possessor of. In principle the idea is expandable to a bit of a kitchen sink, adding new powers whenever the mood struck me, although the whole players being truly special snowflakes thing was making me wonder whether even things like Psychometry vs True Visions of the Future actually overlap too much.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Rewatched Heart of Darkness (PSX) which has bloodless horrific shadow death: https://youtu.be/jYyZfME5XYY?t=235

Consistent visuals on how different kinds of magic kill is good. Say... to make 'shadow magic' 'shadow monsters' not just be a refluffed bear, the shadow specifically has to totally envelope you, then your warmth is sucked out in the shadowy digestive stomach globe. If someone finds it, they can burn the shadow, slice it with obsidian or whatever to break you out

A light/astral way of killing is heating you from the inside with brilliant light until the target combusts
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

I suppose I should answer my own questions. I knew I wanted to divide up magic thanks to numerous discussions on this board. I also knew I wanted to support necromancers, illusionists and druids, along with benders. Those particular classes were chosen based on my interest and the preferred characters of my usual players.

My first divide was

Necromancy - Spoopy magic with skulls on it. Comes from the Underworld, which is heavily based on Garth Nix's Abhorsen books.
Enchantment - Illusion, mind control and shadow magic. Comes from Faerie
Teaneck (placeholder names are cities in New Jersey) - Nature magic. Comes from the planet.
Theurgy - Healing, summoning and lasers. Comes from Heaven.
Elementalism - Bending and blasting. Also comes from the planet I guess?

But elementalism felt a bit flat to me, so I reorganized it. I took a bit of inspiration from the MtG/Sumeru threads.

Necromancy, Enchantment and Theurgy are the same. Teaneck is now called Primal magic and also includes earth bending effects. The new forms of magic are:

Secaucus - Magic of the ocean, storms, madness and dreams. Gets waterbending and airbending along with some mind affecting, dream travel and sending effects.
Hackensack - Fire, metal and intellect. Mostly just blasting and forge magic so far.
(Incidentally, I'd appreciate advice on names for these magic sources/styles.)

I’ve decided to use mana as my spellcasting resource. In universe, spells are divided into categories based on how they are fueled with mana. Cantrips can be cast as long as you have a point of mana. Charms require you to temporarily commit mana, but it can still be used to power cantrips. And there are invocations which you need to expend a point of mana to use. (I think I stole this from Virgil.) Character classes have access to different types of spells, effectively giving them different resource mechanics. For example, Mages get mostly cantrips and invocations while Knights only get charms. Characters can channel one kind of mana, so they’re limited to one kind of magic. Each magic style will have cloth-wearers and gishes.

That said, the magic is very much in flux and could be rewritten at any time. Hey, that way I can put off playtesting!
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

Hackensack sounds like it could be called "Forge" or "Smithing" magic, since forging is about using fire and intellect to shape metal.

Secaucus is about stormy oceans, stormy storms, and brainstorming, so it could be called "Storm" magic.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

ETortoise wrote:I suppose I should answer my own questions. I knew I wanted to divide up magic thanks to numerous discussions on this board. I also knew I wanted to support necromancers, illusionists and druids, along with benders. Those particular classes were chosen based on my interest and the preferred characters of my usual players.

My first divide was

Necromancy - Spoopy magic with skulls on it. Comes from the Underworld, which is heavily based on Garth Nix's Abhorsen books.
Enchantment - Illusion, mind control and shadow magic. Comes from Faerie
Teaneck (placeholder names are cities in New Jersey) - Nature magic. Comes from the planet.
Theurgy - Healing, summoning and lasers. Comes from Heaven.
Elementalism - Bending and blasting. Also comes from the planet I guess?

But elementalism felt a bit flat to me, so I reorganized it. I took a bit of inspiration from the MtG/Sumeru threads.

Necromancy, Enchantment and Theurgy are the same. Teaneck is now called Primal magic and also includes earth bending effects. The new forms of magic are:

Secaucus - Magic of the ocean, storms, madness and dreams. Gets waterbending and airbending along with some mind affecting, dream travel and sending effects.
Hackensack - Fire, metal and intellect. Mostly just blasting and forge magic so far.

I’ve decided to use mana as my spellcasting resource. In universe, spells are divided into categories based on how they are fueled with mana. Cantrips can be cast as long as you have a point of mana. Charms require you to temporarily commit mana, but it can still be used to power cantrips. And there are invocations which you need to expend a point of mana to use. (I think I stole this from Virgil.) Character classes have access to different types of spells, effectively giving them different resource mechanics. For example, Mages get mostly cantrips and invocations while Knights only get charms. Characters can channel one kind of mana, so they’re limited to one kind of magic. Each magic style will have cloth-wearers and gishes.

That said, the magic is very much in flux and could be rewritten at any time. Hey, that way I can put off playtesting!
What's the 'reason' for the magic to be divided so? Is each a domain of sentient beings that people can talk to, or is it a mysterious and vague thing?

Is there a certain 'message' you want to deliver with your world setting?
merxa
Master

Post by merxa »

My magic system still in flux... Magic is hard

But right now I have what I call a 3+1 system, and while someone may receive their spells from prayer and religious texts, there is no Divine / Arcane divide, everything just magic.

There are 3 major schools with subschools, and 'universal' which includes divination.

Conjuration
Evocation

Enchantment
abjuration
illusion

Transmutation
Necromancy

Universal
Divination

I'm still working out 'class' details and access, but so far a character will probably get access to a major school, and maybe some minor access to another sub school, full casters will generally get good access to universal spells, and divination magic will be weakened overall from the 3.x standards, most likely hurting any prophecy magic more than anything that provides information.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

ETortoise wrote:Secaucus - Magic of the ocean, storms, madness and dreams. Gets waterbending and airbending along with some mind affecting, dream travel and sending effects.
Maybe Deep Magic for the first (as in the Deep ocean, Deep sleep, Deeply in thought, etc.)
and maybe Spark Magic for the second
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Does Primal give you control of animals?
-This space intentionally left blank
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

merxa wrote:My magic system still in flux... Magic is hard

But right now I have what I call a 3+1 system, and while someone may receive their spells from prayer and religious texts, there is no Divine / Arcane divide, everything just magic.

There are 3 major schools with subschools, and 'universal' which includes divination.

Conjuration
Evocation

Enchantment
abjuration
illusion

Transmutation
Necromancy

Universal
Divination

I'm still working out 'class' details and access, but so far a character will probably get access to a major school, and maybe some minor access to another sub school, full casters will generally get good access to universal spells, and divination magic will be weakened overall from the 3.x standards, most likely hurting any prophecy magic more than anything that provides information.
Sounds pretty similar to the Netherese Fields of Mythal from 2e Forgotten Realms. You might want to take a look at this wiki page and the ones linked from it for inspiration.

Basically, they divided magic into the three fields of Invention (spells of creation/animation and destruction/impairment, roughly creation/summoning Conjuration + Evocation + animating/blasting Necromancy + physical Abjuration), Mentalism (spells involving the mind and perception, roughly Divination + Enchantment + Illusion + mental/spiritual Abjuration), and Variation (spells of translocation and change, roughly teleporting/time-related Conjuration + debuffing/soul-manipulating Necromancy + Transmutation).

Arcanists had major access to one field (meaning they could cast spells of any level from that field, research or create spells in that field, and craft relevant items), minor access to a second field (meaning they could only cast spells up to a certain level, I want to say 1/3 their max level, couldn't create spells or research extra spells beyond their level-up spells, and couldn't craft magic items), and prohibited the third field (they couldn't create, learn, or use spells or items from that field).
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Petition to have Arcanists titled "Bonjovis".
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

DeadDMWalking wrote:Does Primal give you control of animals?
Yes. It can even affect people, Enchantment has exclusive access to illusions, but not mind control. (Though they have more mind control options.)
Ogrebattle wrote:What's the 'reason' for the magic to be divided so? Is each a domain of sentient beings that people can talk to, or is it a mysterious and vague thing?
In universe, the magic comes from different realms. The cosmological basis (that the players won’t care about) is that the worlds began as just a material world and a spirit world. Several powerful spirits got greedy and thought they should be worshipped. They used their combined power to rip the spirit world off the matieral plane and fashion it into their heaven. One powerful spirit fought against them and was killed, their fall created the underworld. Much later, the parasite dimension of faerie latched on to the wound left by the removal of the spirit world. These realms; earth, heaven, the underworld and faerie, are the sources of Primal, theurgic, necromantic and enchantment magic respectively. All these realms have denizens. Exiled spirits, angels, ghosts and fey will come in with different amounts of power and sentience.

Now Hackensack and Secaucus (or Deep, I like Deep) are the odd ones out. I mean, I have no doubt I’ll be able to find or think of some denizens for these realms, but they don’t fit as neatly into my metaphysical origin story for the world.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Trill wrote:
ETortoise wrote:Secaucus - Magic of the ocean, storms, madness and dreams. Gets waterbending and airbending along with some mind affecting, dream travel and sending effects.
Maybe Deep Magic for the first (as in the Deep ocean, Deep sleep, Deeply in thought, etc.)
and maybe Spark Magic for the second
Or perhaps Flow magic and Promethean magic.
czernebog
1st Level

Post by czernebog »

My heartbreaker notes never advanced to the point of a fully fleshed out system. A friend did take these concepts and produce a system out of their own take on them, which I quite liked, but it wound up falling well outside of heartbreaker territory.

I started with the principles that player characters were all magic-wielders of some stripe and that a character could only ever wield one style of magic. This lead to a character's magical power manifesting from one of three domains, which were set up in an "A trumps B trumps C trumps A" rock-paper-scissors configuration. Thinking about this again, a 5-way rock-paper-scissor-Spock-lizard configuration might be better, if I ever go back to work on this system.

As things stand, the three domains are phantasm, sorcery, and witchcraft.

Phantasm involves bargaining with or outright commanding otherworldly creatures like spirits and demons. Fae whisperers, necromancers who command shades of the dead, and demonologists practice phantasm. To prevent combat dominance by breaking the action economy, entities brought up by phantasm weakly interact with the physical world (because they are nonphysical spirits) or are otherwise restricted. An example of the latter case would be traditional depictions of powerful-seeming devils which are hampered by arbitrary rules like an inability to harm someone who has not blasphemed since setting foot on holy ground or a compulsion to count grains of rice.

Sorcery involves channeling power directly through a character's body, achieving direct effects upon the world. This encompasses standard blasting magic, telekinesis, and inherent supernatural strength. Wizards who throw fireballs and lightning bolts are sorcerers. Levitating, debris-throwing telekinetic horrorshows are sorcerers. Monks who parry blades with their bare hands, casually leap up mountainsides, and throw ki fireballs are sorcerers.

Witchcraft involves the investment of magical energy into places and things. This is the only domain that is capable of producing magical items, and characters who do not utilize witchcraft have a very limited ability to wield magical items because they cannot attune themselves to them. Warriors who wear a belt of strength and are recognized by their artifact weapon, rune-carvers who leave behind explosive magical traps, and necromancers who reanimate corpses all practice witchcraft.

Sorcery is countered by phantasm, because the raw magical energy that sorcerers wield is the native element of spirits and otherwordly creatures. Fireballing a demon is a bad idea because the demon may be able to absorb or redirect the energy of the fireball.

Witchcraft is countered by sorcery, because witchcraft involves the deliberate placement of delicate threads of magical energy, and application of raw sorcerous power unravels them. A well-placed eldritch blast can depower the enchantment on a witch's blade, and it's less effort for a sorcerer to blast down a magically barred and trapped door than it is for another witch to disarm the runes safely while leaving the door intact.

Phantasm is countered by witchcraft, because phantom entities are not of this world, and witchcraft involves the fusion of the mystical and the physical that they cannot fathom. Spirits of the dead can be warded against effectively with an appropriate rune circle or imbued wind chimes, and elementals can be banished by striking them with a suitably attuned wooden staff.

The names of these domains have worked okay during development, but there isn't a good noun for "people who practice phantasm," calling them "summoners" makes it sound like the domain should be called "summoning," and I liked "phantasm" better.

I had planned for each domain to have its own power refresh schedule (or, if there were more than three power refresh schedules, to have a different mix of them for each domain). In broad strokes, phantasm-users have to find/summon/bind spirits in their downtime, sorcerers have to recharge their personal mana pool (maybe by meditating or exercising), and witches have to tap into places or objects of power.

The domains were planned so that characters could get access to basic utility magic regardless of their domain of choice. Flight can be achieved in any variety of ways, from summoning pixies to bear you aloft (phantasm), using telekinesis to levitate (sorcery), or invoking your quetzal-feather cloak (witchcraft).

One of the things I liked about this conceptual division was that you could have a party where more than one person was a necromancer or a druid, but the actual mix of character capabilities was different. A druid who is allied with spirits of the forest (phantasm), a druid who commands the elements (sorcery), and a druid who is decked out in charms and carries a blessed shillelagh (witchcraft) won't step on each others' toes as much as and are a more effective combination than three instances of Ororo Munroe who fly around threateningly until they encounter a hostile shade that turns their lightning against them.

Unfortunately, splitting things up this way meant that I was destined for a classplosion and lots of writing early on (at least three kinds of druid, three kinds of necromancer, three kinds of borderland shaman, three kinds of illusionist, etc.). There are also some heartbreaker character concepts that just don't fit into an exclusive one-domain-per-character setup. I need an answer for someone who wants to be a fireball-chucking sorcerer who also has a magic sword. That could be fluffed as a sorcerer who channels energy attacks through their weapon, but, once you accumulate enough concessions like that, the lines between which magical effects are available to which domain become pretty blurred. The obvious alternative is to relax the one-domain-per-character restriction (maybe gaining additional domains at higher character levels), but that starts to mess with the rock-paper-scissors opposition.
Emerald
Knight-Baron

Post by Emerald »

ETortoise wrote:Now Hackensack and Secaucus (or Deep, I like Deep) are the odd ones out. I mean, I have no doubt I’ll be able to find or think of some denizens for these realms, but they don’t fit as neatly into my metaphysical origin story for the world.
Perhaps the spirit world was only partially ripped off the material world, with the remaining portion of it being under the protection of the powerful rebellious spirit, and when the spirit was slain that chunk was torn off to form the Underworld, causing another wound. Then the Deep could insinuate itself into the world in the same way that Faerie did, but through a different entry point.

That gives you two sort-of mirrored realms, Heaven with the Underworld and Faerie with the Deep, and it kind of makes sense that Faerie and the Deep are similar thematically (both are nature-y realms with more forbidding and dangerous expanses the farther you go from the normal world) and the Underworld and the Deep are related origin-wise (both are cold and dark and full of spooky things below the surface). That kind of "layering" effect where it kinda goes Heaven -> Faerie -> World -> Deep -> Underworld might not work if you're trying to avoid any of them being seen as directly relating to or opposing the others, though.

As for Hackensack, I can see two ways to fit it in, cosmologically. The first is that the it's the Flow and it, well, flows: rather than having a realm of its own, it makes its way through the others, wending through the Underworld like a molten metal version of Abhorsen's river-like Death, spewing up into the Deep as lava flows from undersea vents, rising to Faerie as curtains of steam and smoke, and condensing in Heaven in puddles of beautiful silver and gold, before "raining" back through Faerie and Deep and Underworld to start the cycle again.

None of the other magics get any kind of transformation or solid-material-manipulation magic that you noted, so if you give the Flow metalbending, turning to smoke, and the like, that would give it a good degree of utility to match the others--and having fire pull "cycle of life metaphor" duty instead of the usual wending river/water cycle/etc. would be a unique touch.

Alternately, it's the Spark, it derives from mortal ingenuity, and it's the one magic that doesn't come from a single other realm. It's artificial and dead--not "vitally-challenged" like Underworld magic, just not spiritually-based like the others--and is a purely mortal concern that relies on taking magical stuff from the other realms and forging it into something new. This version would go all-in on the forging metaphor and draw on associations like cold iron being antithetical to faeries, fire being a mystically-cleansing force that's good at taking out undead, circles of silver dust trapping fiends and pentagrams of fire trapping angels, and so on.
ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

Emerald wrote:Alternately, it's the Spark, it derives from mortal ingenuity, and it's the one magic that doesn't come from a single other realm. It's artificial and dead--not "vitally-challenged" like Underworld magic, just not spiritually-based like the others--and is a purely mortal concern that relies on taking magical stuff from the other realms and forging it into something new. This version would go all-in on the forging metaphor and draw on associations like cold iron being antithetical to faeries, fire being a mystically-cleansing force that's good at taking out undead, circles of silver dust trapping fiends and pentagrams of fire trapping angels, and so on.
I like this. It’s also compatible with the Promethean magic named by Orca. This magic is created by mortals (or stolen by them if you’re a god.) The Spark is the noun and Promethean is the adjective.

Thanks!
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Thoughts on how the Final Fantasy Tactics Job Tree can turn into magic Cosmology

Chemist: Manipulate aether in materials
-> Black, White Mage: Manipulate inner aether

Black Magic: Manipulate energy waves
-> Time Mage: Manipulate time/space waves
--> Summoner: Bring beings in from another time/space

White Magic: Manipulate molecules
-> Mystic: Manipulate flesh
--> Orator: Manipulate minds

Bard: Understand that the world itself has a mind that can be diplomanced
Calculator: Understanding that time/space, waves, molecules, flesh can all be quantified with numbers