[Let's Play] Give Yourself Goosebumps: Into the Jaws of Doom

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which book should I run next?

Storytrails 3: The Evil of Mr. Happiness
No votes
Storytrails 4: The Haunters of Marsh Hall
33%
Virtual Reality 1: Green Blood
No votes
Virtual Reality 3: The Coils of Hate
No votes
Virtual Reality 4: Necklace of Skulls
67%

Total votes: 3

Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Yeah, makes sense - plumb those depths!
Last edited by Whiysper on Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You press the yellow button. The light clicks on.
It's a start. At least you found the light switch.
And right in front of you is the fire extinguisher. Hmm. That might be useful later.
Write Fire Extinguisher on your inventory sheet.

(we know how to get out, so not bothering with that.)

Where to now?

Inventory List:
Fire Extinguisher
Map at 220
Running Total of Deaths: 6 (2 by robot arm, 1 by crash, 1 by giant mosquito, 1 by electric door, 1 by hungry aliens running the place.)
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

The only thing we haven't tried is to try the simulator without the mosquito chasing us, right? If so, then that.

If there's any other option, I can't think of it at the moment.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SGamerz wrote:The only thing we haven't tried is to try the simulator without the mosquito chasing us, right? If so, then that.

If there's any other option, I can't think of it at the moment.
We also haven't tried swatting it after it starts to chase us.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Well, then swat it.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second seeing how swatting it kills us.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I also forgot that we can check out the model aircraft and not try daisy chaining all the helicopters together. But that's my bad, we have two votes for swatting the giant bug:

You decide to swat the mosquito.
It buzzes angrily towards you. That bloodsucking tube sure is long!
Do you have something to swat the mosquito with? This bug is kind of big for your bare hands... (We have the fire extinguisher.)

You hold the fire extinguisher in front of you like a club. "Come and get me, bloodsucker!" you shout.
The mosquito zips toward you, but each time you swing the extinguisher, it flits out of reach.
It attacks again and again, trying to stick you with its bloodsucking tube. But you manage to fend it off.
Who will win this fight to the death?

Can you beat the mosquito? Roll to find out.
(we rolled a 10)

The mosquito hovers in hitting range. You swing the fire extinguisher as hard as you can.
It flies out of your hands.
You're defenseless!
The mosquito zips straight toward you, zooming around your outstretched hands. It plunges its tube into your arm.
As your blood flows, your vision starts to fade.
Well, there's one good thing about being bitten by a giant mosquito. It might be all over for you now, but at least you won't have to scratch later...
THE END

This has a ridiculously low chance of success (5 or lower on 2d6), which is bullshit given that it's the "correct" action to perform, and the only way to kill the mosquito. So one prayer to RNJesus later:

The mosquito zooms in at you, fast and furious. But finally it makes one mistake. It zips too close, and your fire extinguisher connects with it.
WHACK!
Ewwwwwww! Mosquito guts everywhere!
"Got you!" you cheer.
Congratulations. This is definitely the biggest bug you've ever squashed.

You wipe mosquito guts off the fire extinguisher. Then you glance around the room.
There are models of birds and planes. There's the flight simulator, which might have a radio in it.
Where should you go?
Check out the models?
Test the flight simulator?
Leave the Aerodynamics Room?
If you don't think you'll need the fire extinguisher again, cross it off your list.

Inventory List:
Fire Extinguisher
Map at 220
Running Total of Deaths: 7 (2 by robot arm, 1 by crash, 2 by giant mosquito, 1 by electric door, 1 by hungry aliens running the place.)
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Try the simulator again.
Last edited by SGamerz on Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

(Accidentally posted this in the Image Macros thread originally. That's...something.)

You decide to check out the flight simulator.
It's like a little room on hydraulic legs. The legs shake it to make it seem as if it's really moving.
You climb in and whistle in astonishment. There are controls and dials and readouts all over the place, just like a real cockpit. You search for something that might be a radio.
You jump as a tinny voice announces, "Flight 13, ready for takeoff."
Ready for what?

The sound of jet engines builds around you. You glance through the windshield at the front of the cockpit—and gasp!
Your eyes gaze at a runway. It's incredibly realistic, just what you would see if you were really inside a plane.
Then there's a jolt, and your plane starts moving.
It's just a simulation, you remind yourself, Nothing to be afraid of.
You grab the controls. The end of the runway is coming up.
Better take off!

As you pull back on the controls, the windshield fills with blue sky. You're pressed into your seat.
Wow! It feels so real.
But you have no time to enjoy the flight.
"Fire in Number Two Engine," the voice warns.
"What do I do?" you cry.
The voice suddenly changes to an evil laugh.
"I'm afraid I can't help you," it cackles.
You've heard that voice before. It's the Super Computer!
You gulp. What should you do?

Keep flying?
Try to land?
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I don't like the "try" in "Try to land?", but try that one anyway.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'd prefer to keep flying, but if there's no tie-breaker then switch my vote.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So SGamerz agreed in favor of landing if there was a tie.
Which is the right call. continuing flight is a game over.
You steer back toward the runway. The airport appears in front of you. This looks so real, you think.
"Fire in Number Four engine," the voice announces.
The simulator shakes harder and harder. BONK! Ouch! That was your head hitting the ceiling. You're tossed around violently.
You've got to keep from crashing!
But what do you know about flying a plane?

Can you land the plane? Roll to find out. (rolled a 9).

You grasp the controls. Your hands are slick with sweat.
The runway comes up to meet you. You're going to make it!
But then the Super Computer laughs. "Forgot about your landing gear, didn't you? Ha, ha, ha!"
Landing gear?
A screaming metal sound echoes through the cockpit. It's as if the bottom of your plane is tearing open on the runway.
But this isn't real, is it?
Maybe not. But try telling that to the crew that has to scrape you off the runway!
GAME OVER

Again fairly bullshit because you need to roll a 6 or lower. This book really either needed to adjust the dice rolls or have bonuses to them.

You grasp the controls and nudge the plane closer to the runway. Then you spot a sign that flashes: LOWER LANDING GEAR.
Good idea!
You find the right button and push it. You settle your plane down, softly as a feather.
When you open the door, you're covered in sweat. That's kind of silly. It was just a simulation, after all.
"Great landing!" a voice on the radio announces.
It sounds like your pal Peedee A.!

"Thanks," you answer. "I never piloted a plane before."
"Your fancy flying confused the Super Computer for a few moments," Peedee A. tells you. "Just thought I'd take this chance to give you a hint."
"Great!" You'll take any help you can get.
"The Super Computer has hidden a key on the third floor," Peedee A. goes on. "You'll need it. Now listen: To get the key, you'll have to find a fire exting—"
A what?" you ask. But the voice is gone.

Another voice takes its place.
An evil voice. One that has become all too familiar.
"You may have survived this time," the Super Computer taunts. "But I'll have the last laugh!"
"Not a chance, you bucket of bolts," you shout defiantly.
But you realize you have a lot further to go.
Where to now?

Check out the models?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Check the models
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You decide to explore the models in the back of the Aerodynamics Room.
There are model aircraft and also model birds and other flying animals.
Which do you want to check out?

The model aircraft?
The flying animal models?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Does checking the birds again lead to the same section after we've killed the mosquitoes? If it does, then just leave the room.
Last edited by SGamerz on Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oh, right, forgot about this. Check the animals?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You dart over to the models of flying animals. You notice bats, hawks, bumblebees. Then one model catches your eye. It's a big mosquito, over a foot long.
You gulp as you stare at it. You know it's made of plastic, but it looks so real!
You dare yourself to touch it. A shiver goes down your spine as you cautiously put one finger on the giant insect.
Then something horrifying happens.

Screw it we already killed this mosquito not starting an infinite loop. Nothing useful here. Where to next?

Check out the model aircraft?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We already checked the aircraft, didn't we? So...leave the room?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SGamerz wrote:We already checked the aircraft, didn't we?
Kind of? We reached the model helicopters but suffered a slightly fatal accident with trying to fly using them so we didn't check out the rest of the room (which ignoring the toy choppers would have allowed us to do).
Whiysper
Master

Post by Whiysper »

Then let's fully plumb the depths of model-aircraft-related deaths :). To the tiny death-machines!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Yeah, let's just try what we hadn't yet done (I admit I'm already losing track by now).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Second that.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You walk over to the model aircraft.
In addition to planes, you spot blimps, helicopters, even hang gliders. Too bad they're just models. Otherwise you could hang glide out of this crazy hall.
But that gives you an idea...
Maybe if you got all the helicopters working together, they could lift you! You could fly out the window and all the way home!
What do you think?

Think it's a stupid, crazy idea??
Give it a shot?

You decide that the idea is just too risky.
But you do spot something that might be useful later.
There's an exhibit about how wings work. And in the case is a real Australian boomerang!
If you take it, write Boomerang on your inventory list.
Cool! But what's that buzzing sound behind you?

(Ignored for the same reasons as before. Honestly this book could use for less sections looping you to the Giant Mosquito (or at least have some method to check that you've killed it) and more spent on literally anything else.)

So that's everything in the Aerodynamics Room. Which just leaves us with the fire stairs and the Space Travel Room, where we haven't checked out the space suit without being killed by robot arm.

Inventory List:
Boomerang
Fire Extinguisher
Map at 220
Running Total of Deaths: 8 (2 by robot arm, 1 by simulated crash, 1 by real crash, 2 by giant mosquito, 1 by electric door, 1 by hungry aliens running the place.)
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Now that we have the quest item, let's g0 beat that robot arm.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

You decide to check out the Space Travel Room.
A chill runs up your spine as you enter. It's dark in here, and spooky music plays through hidden speakers.
An empty space suit stands across the room. Its black visor seems to stare at you.
An old Mercury space capsule sits in the center of the floor. It looks like a huge tin can with door in it. You can't believe anyone actually went into space in that thing! The hatch is open. It's completely dark inside.
Beside the capsule, there's a full-scale model of the space shuttle's robot arm. It's a twenty-foot-long metal crane—with a claw big enough to crush your head.
What should you do?

(checking out the space suit)

You approach the space suit. It's wearing a jet pack like the kind astronauts use in space.
The suit is old and dusty and much bigger than you.
You sure hope it's really empty!
One of the space gloves seems loose. Hey. A big glove like that could come in handy for touching dangerous things.
What do you think?

(taking the space glove)

You carefully pull the glove from the space suit.
It comes off with a SNAP. You slide your hand into it.
Write Space Glove on your inventory list.
Then you whirl at a terrible scraping sound behind you.

You gasp. The robot arm—it's moving!
It's reaching out and grabbing the floor. Dragging itself toward you. In a few more seconds, it'll be able to grab you.
You don't think it wants to shake hands.
Should you try to run around it? It has an awfully long reach!
Or maybe you could use the jet pack from the space suit to escape.
What should you do? Think fast!

(We have the boomerang so we can get equipped with it.)

You pull the boomerang out of your belt and peer toward the approaching robot arm. Its metal claw is only a few feet from squashing your head.
As it reaches out, you spot an ON/OFF switch near its base.
If you can hit the switch with the boomerang, the robot arm will come to a crashing halt.
Think you can make the shot?
Or should you just run?

(Running leads to the same death running caused us earlier so I assume we throw.)

You cock your arm back and get ready to throw.
You just hope you make it. That arm looks as if it could crush you like an empty soda can!
Can you hit the switch? Roll to find out.
(Rolled a 5.)

You send the boomerang hurtling towards the switch.
It curves away at the last instant. "No," you groan. It just missed!
The robot arm reaches out and drags itself another few feet towards you. You're doomed!
But the boomerang is still turning. It's coming back!
You reach up and pluck it out of the air. Got it!
Looks as if you get another chance....
Can you hit the switch this time? Roll to find out.
(Rolled a 7 this time).
Which is good because failing the roll again would be a game over.
The boomerang hits the switch!
The robot arm whines to a halt. It tries to reach out its metal claw. But it has no power. It falls silent.
You survived!
"Good throw!" a voice cries behind you.
You whirl around. The black visor of the space suit stares back. A shiver crawls up your spine.
Is the suit talking to you?

If you don't think you'll need the boomerang again, cross it off your list.

You approach the suit cautiously.
"It's me, Peedee A.," the suit declares. "I'm using the radio in the space helmet."
"You scared me!" you grumble.
"Sorry," Peedee A. apologizes. "Listen, I have to talk fast. The Super Computer was controlling the robot arm. When you switched off the arm, you froze the computer."
"You mean I beat it?" you cry. "Yes!"
"No, no," Peedee A. says impatiently. "It's just rebooting. It will be back. Listen! Now that you've got the space glove, you can get down the fire stairs without getting electrocuted by the handle. But watch out for the--"
A hiss of static drowns out the voice.

"Watch out for what?" you demand.
"Super Computer...coming back," Peedee A. shouts over the static. "Watch out...Visible Man..."
Then the static switches off, and another voice comes through. Loud and clear.
"You've won this round," it roars. "But you'll never escape! Ha, ha, ha!"
The Super Computer's laughter rings out as you turn and run.

You run past the motionless robot arm, taking care to stay out of its reach. Just in case...
Peedee A. said the space glove would help you get through the fire door to the stairs. That sounds good. You want to get out of this horrible place!
But maybe you should keep exploring this floor. You don't know what dangers lurk downstairs. There could be more things to help you here.

Having explored the entire floor, we know that's not the case. So it's just down to the stairs.

You decide to try to get down the stairs. And try not to wonder what else the Super Computer has waiting for you on the lower levels.
You check the map again and walk to the stairway door. You slip on the space glove and take a deep breath.
You know the door is electrified. Will the glove really protect you?
Your hand sweats as you reach for the handle.

You grasp the handle.
Nothing happens!
"Phew!" you sigh in relief. The space glove insulated you from the deadly electricity.
You open the door and step through.
Congratulations! You've made it out of the fourth floor!
Now there are only a few flights of stairs between you and the front door.
But didn't Peedee A. try to warn you about something? What did it say? Something about a "Visible Man?"
You wonder what that means. And hope you won't find out.

If you don't think you'll need the space glove again, cross it off your inventory list.

You start down the stairs.
You stop when you hear a noise from below. A horrible liquid sound, as if a bunch of wet rags were taking a walk.
You crouch down, trying to hide.
But then something comes into view.
And you can't help but scream.

It looks like a man, except for one thing--
He has no skin!
He's just like that plastic model in your science class. You can see organs and blood vessels and stuff inside his body.
Only this guy isn't plastic!
You gulp as your eyes trace the network of veins and muscles that crisscross his body. Gross. You can even see his brain.
He takes a step toward you. His foot makes a sploshing sound on the hard stair.
You have a feeling that this is the Visible Man.

He opens his mouth to speak. His voice sounds watery, like someone gargling while he talks. You stare in terrified fascination as his visible vocal cords move.
"I told you that you couldn't escape," he gurgles.
It's the voice of the Super Computer!
The Visible Man reaches towards you.
What should you do?
Duck into the third floor, or run past him?

Run past him?
Duck into the third floor?

Also pick whether or not we want to drop the Boomerang and/or the Space Glove since those did come up as options. That being said this book doesn't appear to have inventory slots a la DestinyQuest or Virtual Reality. Even if we go by the number of lines offered on the Inventory page in the book we would have 11 slots.

Inventory List:
Boomerang
Fire Extinguisher
Space Glove
Map at 220
Running Total of Deaths: 8 (2 by robot arm, 1 by simulated crash, 1 by real crash, 2 by giant mosquito, 1 by electric door, 1 by hungry aliens running the place.)