Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

MGuy wrote:Suicide rates across the board seem uncomfortably high. I'm going to have to do a quick look up to see what's going on in countries like Finland that has it up so high.
Thats gun suicides and it would be because its cleaner (for the person doing, not the guy cleaning it up) than the other methods.
Last edited by Pariah Dog on Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The presence of guns makes suicide attempts more likely to "succeed" and thus increases the death rate from suicide without necessarily increasing the number of suicide attempts. Overall, the United States is a medium suicide rate country. But the US's suicide attempt rate is actually low.

Basically, the US has the 34th highest suicide rate in the world with 13.7, and the United Kingdom has the 109th highest suicide rate in the world at 7.6. But basically half of the successful suicides in the US are done with firearms. So if people didn't have guns and tried to kill themselves with a handful of Tylenol like British depressed people do, the US would also be a low suicide country.

The fact that we have firearms where sad people can get them kills over twenty thousand Americans per year. Every twenty five minutes an American dies a totally preventable death from self harm related to the fact that we leave dangerous man killing weaponry lying around. The ostentatious insanity of our gun policies can't be stressed enough.

This isn't secret or anything. There are countries that have a huge despair problem and have enormous numbers of people killing themselves in ways and for reasons that are difficult to understand or deal with. The US is not like that. We all know what the problem is, and we could save tens of thousands of lives every year just by not letting Mitch McConnel block action on guns. It's really honestly that simple.

-Username17
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

FrankTrollman wrote:The presence of guns makes suicide attempts more likely to "succeed" and thus increases the death rate from suicide without necessarily increasing the number of suicide attempts. Overall, the United States is a medium suicide rate country. But the US's suicide attempt rate is actually low.

Basically, the US has the 34th highest suicide rate in the world with 13.7, and the United Kingdom has the 109th highest suicide rate in the world at 7.6. But basically half of the successful suicides in the US are done with firearms. So if people didn't have guns and tried to kill themselves with a handful of Tylenol like British depressedpeople do, the US would also be a low suicide country.
Related, more men die by suicide in the world than women, but women are the ones that make more suicide attempts.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

My mental age today: 12
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

For those who want to know what it says in German (rather than what it sounds like in English) is 'we are looking for you'.
-This space intentionally left blank
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

:rofl:
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

deaddmwalking wrote:For those who want to know what it says in German (rather than what it sounds like in English) is 'we are looking for you'.
I assume so they can suchen dich?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i don't get it ._.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Stahlseele wrote:i don't get it ._.
In an American accent, the "ch" is pronounced te same as "ck".

-Username17
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:i don't get it ._.
In an American accent, the "ch" is pronounced te same as "ck".

-Username17
Thank you!
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Am I losing my mind or did someone sculpt Cthulu as a vagina?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

It's hard to say. I've never been able to tell the difference between a vagina and Cthulu.
-This space intentionally left blank
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

That's Takayuki Takeya's sculpt:
https://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/8 ... hulhu.html

He's great

Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Last edited by Ancient History on Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Honestly cannot tell if that was real or satire....
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

*sigh*

I kept reading that article wondering where his outrage was. And then I read the headline again and realized it was "crazy for" not "angry over".

The Outrage Machine is working too well.

More on-topic... I imagine that Karloff would be so pleased with the state of food now. You can buy cilantro and fresh jalapeños readily available at any ordinary grocery. Hell, lots of stores sell fresh-made guacamole.

It never ceases to amaze me how food has changed. I look back at the old Joy of Cooking, and "fresh coriander" was a rare ethnic herb that they really didn't know what to do with. At least in my kitchen, it's a pretty normal thing to have - I put it in Latin and SE Asian cuisines. I am so grateful that I live now.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »