So, Cyberpunk Red

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Guts
Master

So, Cyberpunk Red

Post by Guts »

https://rtalsoriangames.com/2019/07/12/ ... ng-combat/

My take: Rules-wise it seems out of the 80s, which is not what I want from a game these days. Setting-wise I find this flavor of obvious cyberarms and obvious dirty streets too retro and generic. I would rather have something more nuanced, like Android Netrunner or something.

Anyone excited?
WiserOdin032402
Master

Post by WiserOdin032402 »

I'm a bit excited because it's doing more than most TTRPGs are doing nowadays and it's more Cyberpunk. But CP2020 is one of those RPGs I grew up with in the home so I'm slightly biased.
Longes wrote:My favorite combination is Cyberpunk + Lovecraftian Horror. Because it is really easy to portray megacorporations as eldritch entities: they exist for nothing but generation of profit for the good of no one but the corporation itself, they speak through interchangeable prophets-CEOs, send their cultists-wageslaves to do their dark bidding, and slowly and uncaringly grind life after life that ends in their path, not caring because they are far removed from human morality.
DSMatticus wrote:Poe's law is fucking dead. Satire is truth and truth is satire. Reality is being performed in front of a live studio audience and they're fucking hating it. I'm having Cats flashbacks except now the cats have always been at war with Eurasia. What the fuck is even real? Am I real? Is Obama real? Am I Obama? I don't fucking know, man.
Ignimortis
Journeyman

Post by Ignimortis »

The rules seem a bit overcomplicated for a modern game, but they don't look TOO bad. I mean, I personally dislike armor degradation, but it looks ok so far.

Bonus points for NOT doing what CGL did with Shadowrun 6e and saying "oh-ho, we nerfed combat characters because nobody was having fun in combat if they weren't combat characters!" and touting that as something GOOD.