Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Godzilla: King of the Monsters.
I found myself grinning like an idiot through most of the movie. Finally a giant monster movie that has discovered pacing. And keeps hitting us with giant monsters beating the crap out of each other and devastating their surroundings.

-Username17
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I’ve always been a fan of King Ghidorah, although I’ve always wondered about the legitimacy of his royal authority.

I’m hoping to see this in an actual theater, and not as a horrendously under-lit bootleg bought at a seedy bar, like I did the first one.

Is most of the movie taken up by useless humans like the previous film? I hope not.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The key is that the useless humans have their action interspersed with giant monsters breaking shit. So instead of having all the action you care about in the last fifteen minutes, you get your first giant monster breath weapon inside the first twenty minutes.

-Username17
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

That's excellent news. I love well paced action.
Half asleep upon my knee
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

All the reviewers that don't like this film can fuck themselves with forks. Yes, there are humans, deal with it. This is a beautiful, epic film. You will believe a giant radioactive lizard can stomp.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I saw the Live Action remake of Aladdin on Saturday (side note: I have no idea why I'm still watching my ex-GF's kid for free at this point. Like literally, no idea). Anyhow, Will Smith was a pretty good Will Smith genie, I liked how they made Jasmine more of an active participant, how "Prince Ali" was actually awkward and scared shitless instead of cocky. I laughed my ass off when Jasmine asked "Prince Ali" to point out "Ababwa" on a map. Also the chick who plays Jasmine has some fucking pipes, yo.

Honestly, I give it a 7/10. Not groundbreaking by any means, but worth a matinee showing when you find yourself entertaining a child when you didn't expect to.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Barry Season 1 was good. Season 2 is a bit much of the actors being bad at acting, which is just cringe-y. But Episode 5 was different.
Almost the entire episode was fight scenes, and Barry came out slightly better at the end because he made the choice to be a better person. Now there's nobody currently investigating anything he has done, because he spared Ronny's life.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I read The Lost City of the Monkey God which is a book chronicling an expedition to firmly locate a major Precolumbian metropolis deep in the jungles of Ecuador and begin scientifically exploring it. These types of archaeological expeditions offer fodder for role-playing games (lost ruin exploration). I enjoyed it for non-gaming reasons, too. The book is accessible, factually based on eye-witness accounts (including the author who was involved in the expedition before, during, and after).
-This space intentionally left blank
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Iduno wrote:Barry Season 1 was good. Season 2 is a bit much of the actors being bad at acting, which is just cringe-y. But Episode 5 was different.
Almost the entire episode was fight scenes, and Barry came out slightly better at the end because he made the choice to be a better person. Now there's nobody currently investigating anything he has done, because he spared Ronny's life.
Dude...dude...dude...
That feral little girl was one of the best things I've ever seen on television
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

My mom called the other day, laughing her ass off, and recommended I watch Netflix's Always Be My Maybe. I liked it more than I thought I would. It was a way better American-Asian movie than Crazy Rich Asians.
Last edited by Maj on Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

So a friend invited me to see John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum this week and in preparation I watched the first two movies, John Wick and John Wick: Chapter 2. I'm not interested in spoiling any of the movies but they seem to share a lot of DNA with Underworld or Blade. If someone told me that these movies were ORIGINALLY supposed to about a clandestine society of vampires and they decided to scrub the supernatural elements, I'd totally believe them.

Of course, if one were to use them as the basis of a supernatural campaign, the body count is SO HIGH that feeding almost ceases to matter. Again, I think it FEELS right for a movie about supernatural societies, but they never address why there is so little inquiry by the authorities regarding what amounts to a significant increase in violent crime.

Per a website, John Wick personally kills 77 people in the first one, and 128 in the second. There are roughly 300 murders in New York City annually - while not every kill is limited to one city, John Wick isn't the only one killing people...

For those that have seen the first two movies, the violence was significantly more graphic in the third. Spoiler for squeamishness and violence included in the 3rd movie).
In every movie, people are stabbed with knives, including after a struggle where he is able to turn their own knife against them. The 3rd movie includes one such scene where the knife draws inexorably toward an open eye. I'm jaded on seeing people stabbed in shoulders, guts, necks, skulls, etc, but eyes, especially as it builds up to it, are rare. That was unpleasant - and the most disturbing scene of violence by a long shot (though there were several people that had their penises savaged by dogs, which might be cringe worthy, too).
Last edited by deaddmwalking on Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

I imagine that this is a setting where the police intentionally turn a blind eye to underworld violence so long as it doesn't spill over to normal people. John Wick tearing though all of these criminal orginizations ultimately does law enforcement a favor.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

hyzmarca wrote:I imagine that this is a setting where the police intentionally turn a blind eye to underworld violence so long as it doesn't spill over to normal people. John Wick tearing though all of these criminal orginizations ultimately does law enforcement a favor.
I know we're not supposed to care about the goons, but I'd expect that a lot of them have wives and children; they're not celibate monks completely devoted to the art of war. And many of the bounty hunters are explicitly normal people who take on contract work. The SHEER NUMBER of them is dumbfounding. If there's a thousand people who are on the call list in NEW YORK when a contract is made available, then most of them aren't going to be 'in' so most of them can get 'out'. That's why if they were all vampires it'd make MORE SENSE - then you really are in even if you're not deep into the underworld stuff.

I like the movies - they have a Cowboy Beebop vibe that I like - something about the style, but it's a form of 'rule of cool' - whatever is VISUALLY striking is how the universe is going to work, even if it makes NO SENSE. Which is unfortunate - but if you don't analyze the society and just accept that it is far more widespread and organized than it could possibly ever be with every street thug living by 'the code', it's fine... When they were doing a 'parley' in the final movie, I felt like it was getting to be a spoof of the 'Pirate's Code' in Pirates of the Carribean. But that movie lampooned the rules itself as 'more guidelines anyway' in part because the people following them are criminals.

I think it's interesting that the mafia was impressed with their portrayal in the Godfather and tried to class up; maybe something similar will happen with Wick...
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Maj wrote:My mom called the other day, laughing her ass off, and recommended I watch Netflix's Always Be My Maybe. I liked it more than I thought I would. It was a way better American-Asian movie than Crazy Rich Asians.
My girlfriend, no wait, my fiance and I just watched that and thought it was really good too! I thought if they tightened up the first half an hour with another pass through comedy punch-up they would have had a big surprise hit on their hands. The movie is funny throughout but becomes absolutely hilarious once the celebrity boyfriend gets involved. If the first half hour were as good as the last half hour that could have been another My Big Fat Greek Wedding style sleeper hit romantic comedy.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Might wanna fix your spoiler tag, dead.
Half asleep upon my knee
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Detective Pikachu was AMAZING! I thoroughly enjoyed myself the entire time. It's a load of fun, and there's a clear that a lot of love for the series went into it's creation.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I was initially a bit put off by the live-action designs, but it's a really fun movie, and yes, the people making really did have a love for the source material.

Unlike Paramount.

I really loved it when Pikachu's chin is being scratched and he praises Arceus.

Unrelated aside: It's Donald Duck's 85th birthday today. Just so you know.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Literally my only problem with Detective Pikachu was that I wasn't fond of the Gengar design. That underbite grin thing was just weird and not in a good way.

That's literally my only problem with it.

Detective Pikachu was awesome.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I haven't seen the movie (and don't plan to) because I just can't get past the hideous Pokemon designs. They literally remind me of this only not a joke.

The trend in live action movies of grafting "realistic" faces and textures over cartoon characters/creatures until they jump straight into the uncanny valley and rub their grotesquely rendered asses over it just needs to end. It's never looked good and never will unless you're trying to make them look like a goddamn creepypasta.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
erik
King

Post by erik »

I thought the creepy pokemon design was going to turn me off to it, but it somehow worked and I just got into the movie and didn't mind it at all. That said I was also super sleepy and dozed off during an action scene (only missed 2-3 min of screentime), so maybe sleepy erik is more forgiving of such things.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

I watched Dirt, a movie based on a book by pretty good band Motley Crue about how they're the best band ever. It's got a lot of serious, and a decent amount of humor. And they at least admit to some of their failings as human beings, and don't hide the fact that this is their version of the story.

I guess stories with pathos and humor entertain me.

Edit: The weird decision to use the same actors to be the members of the band over a long period of time made it easier to identify them, which is good. Not sure the womanizing got quite the "hey, maybe this isn't great" that it needed, but at least the addiction thing was painted as "we did this, we liked it, it was bad."
Last edited by Iduno on Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Wasnt that the one where the dude hit a woman in a tour bus and immidieatly cuts to a reaction shot of the dude? I know it isn't a documentary, but a bunch of (terrible) things that are revealed by the movie are actually sanitized to make the band look less like a bunch of misogynistic abusers.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Saw MiB: International. It was good. Better than 2 and 3. Tessa Thompson and teen heart-throb Chris Hemsworth have excellent chemistry and make for an awesome dynamic.

It ain't a perfect movie, and it ain't a smart movie, but it was a fun movie, which is what counts.

That said, I was expecting a cameo from Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones. There wasn't one. Sadness.
Half asleep upon my knee
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

That was my take as well. I don't know whether I'd say it was better than the first, but I know it was a better match for my taste now, and taste aside completely, it was definitely better than 2 and 3. It was a lot of fun, and they even managed to not make the mandatory worms and tiny alien race exceptionally tedious.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

OK. So after my Gina Rodriguez bender last night (not a feel good movie - you LIED Netflix!), I watched Shazam today. I'm adding it the pile of superhero movies I actually like. I thought it was cute and awesome and funny, and Zachary Levi did not fail me.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.