[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Saying Musk invented Hyper-Loop is super bold words. The concept behind it has been invented literally a century ago. The actual implementation hasn't been done by anyone including Musk due to its apparent physical impossibility.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

This seems relevant
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Musk said yesterday that there was a 70% chance that he was moving to Mars. For all his alleged brilliance, he's an idiot.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

The best idea Musk ever had was stealing emeralds from his dad to make some money. It taught him the valuable lesson that being so rich you literally don't know what to do with your money means you can do virtually anything with no repercussions.

He was never brilliant, he was always rich.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

"Space Travel" is still an absolutely worthwile goal to pursue, because right now we're a single planet species and that sucks.

It's insane that we're seemingly funding this by rich private investors instead of public agencies. Still, I'll take SpaceX over NASA's ever shrinking budget.

But SpaceX apart, Musk's entire thing is pretty well summed by the not-a-flamethrower case.
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
erik
King

Post by erik »

My one dream for space funding is that the US uses space force military as a pretext to shift resources of our obscene military spending into space exploration.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

There will be no shifting.
It will be an added cost.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

nockermensch wrote:"Space Travel" is still an absolutely worthwile goal to pursue, because right now we're a single planet species and that sucks.

It's insane that we're seemingly funding this by rich private investors instead of public agencies. Still, I'll take SpaceX over NASA's ever shrinking budget.

But SpaceX apart, Musk's entire thing is pretty well summed by the not-a-flamethrower case.
SpaceX is literally state funded. It doesn't fucking have private funding for shit.

But also, it's EXPLICITLY so that he can not have to deal with stinky proles, which is... a bad sign.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

The entirety of Musk's modern empire is state-funded. Tesla exists, and can only exist, because by making electric cars and nothing but electric cars they can massively game the ecology subsidies and sell their eco credits to normal car manufacturers.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Let's not forget calling someone a child abuser because they rescued kids while he was failing to get people to take his rescue submarine seriously.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Musk is no Nikola Tesla, no matter how much he might want to be. First off, Telsa was constantly broke, because he literally had no idea how money worked. Westinghouse had to basically pay for his home and food and such. Further, Tesla was not just a genius, but also utterly batshit insane, had no want for personal fame or glory, and had zero interest in woman. All in all, the perfect human being.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Shrapnel wrote:Musk is no Nikola Tesla, no matter how much he might want to be. First off, Telsa was constantly broke, because he literally had no idea how money worked. Westinghouse had to basically pay for his home and food and such. Further, Tesla was not just a genius, but also utterly batshit insane, had no want for personal fame or glory, and had zero interest in woman. All in all, the perfect human being.
Tesla, for all his genius and many accomplishments, kind of had Musk's problem of promising a whole lot before he actually did anything. But in Tesla's case, it definitely helps that what he did do was genuinely revolutionary.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... es-lawsuit
US news, but since we are talking about Musk here
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

Wait...
The Guardian wrote:The tunnels are Musk’s solution to “soul-destroying traffic”, a way to make roads “go 3D”, according to the company’s website.
Make roads go 3D? Has Musk never heard of bridges?
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:Wait...
The Guardian wrote:The tunnels are Musk’s solution to “soul-destroying traffic”, a way to make roads “go 3D”, according to the company’s website.
Make roads go 3D? Has Musk never heard of bridges?
Some other assholes from California invented the bus not that long ago, so we shouldn't be surprised. Disappointed in humanity, sure, but not surprised.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Sometimes going underground is better.
-This space intentionally left blank
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Space exploration? Great, fantastic. Landing people on Mars as a technological and engineering challenge? Sure, whatever. Space colonization, on the other hand, is the dumbest fucking idea anyone has ever put forth as a serious public goal.

Something Bruce Sterling said, as quoted by Charles Stross in an excellent blog post on space travel and colonization:
"I'll believe in people settling Mars at about the same time I see people settling the Gobi Desert. The Gobi Desert is about a thousand times as hospitable as Mars and five hundred times cheaper and easier to reach. Nobody ever writes "Gobi Desert Opera" because, well, it's just kind of plonkingly obvious that there's no good reason to go there and live. It's ugly, it's inhospitable and there's no way to make it pay. Mars is just the same, really. We just romanticize it because it's so hard to reach."

There is literally no resource available in the universe that cannot be more cheaply and efficiently extracted on Earth. I don't care how low your price per kilogram up the gravity well gets and how much rocket fuel you can synthesize at the colony, it cannot conceivably be cheaper than just mining, or even recycling, the materials already available on Earth.

IMO, Elon Musk is delusional or a charlatan or both.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

That's why I like to advocate terraforming Venus. Not only is learning how to reverse global warming likely to be helpful here at home, everything about Venus makes it a better choice. For example, your weight on Venus is 91% of your Earth weight; Mars it is only 38%.

But I am all for nudging all the asteroids (4% mass of the moon) into Mars. Not only will it add a lot of heat, it'll add a little mass, and all the pieces will be much easier to pick up (assuming that asteroid mining makes sense). It may also add significant amounts of water.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mord wrote:Space exploration? Great, fantastic. Landing people on Mars as a technological and engineering challenge? Sure, whatever. Space colonization, on the other hand, is the dumbest fucking idea anyone has ever put forth as a serious public goal.

Something Bruce Sterling said, as quoted by Charles Stross in an excellent blog post on space travel and colonization:
"I'll believe in people settling Mars at about the same time I see people settling the Gobi Desert. The Gobi Desert is about a thousand times as hospitable as Mars and five hundred times cheaper and easier to reach. Nobody ever writes "Gobi Desert Opera" because, well, it's just kind of plonkingly obvious that there's no good reason to go there and live. It's ugly, it's inhospitable and there's no way to make it pay. Mars is just the same, really. We just romanticize it because it's so hard to reach."

There is literally no resource available in the universe that cannot be more cheaply and efficiently extracted on Earth. I don't care how low your price per kilogram up the gravity well gets and how much rocket fuel you can synthesize at the colony, it cannot conceivably be cheaper than just mining, or even recycling, the materials already available on Earth.

IMO, Elon Musk is delusional or a charlatan or both.
He doesn't want to do it because it's efficient, he wants to do it because he has a fundamental hatred of humanity and a visceral felt urge to be working to get as far away from them as possible, and into a position where he can murder anyone who bothers him.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Maj wrote:Musk said yesterday that there was a 70% chance that he was moving to Mars. For all his alleged brilliance, he's an idiot.
I mean, even if he actually got a colony up and running, it's internet will be shit. And the social isolation would be worse than living in Antarctica.
Longes wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... es-lawsuit
US news, but since we are talking about Musk here
Isn't that literally just a subway?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

hyzmarca wrote:Isn't that literally just a subway?
Nah. Subways are communist trains that quickly carry large numbers of people to and from defined locations. Elon Musk wants to build underpasses for people to drive in. Because as you are doubtless aware, what people really want is the self empowerment to get stuck in traffic while enclosed in an idling motor vehicle in a smoggy carbon monoxide infused tunnel.

-Username17
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Wow. It's been proved time and again that overwork reduces overall productivity and increases costly mistakes, accidents, and illness. But at least it's possible that he's not a malignant robber baron, maybe he's just insane from sleep deprivation.

Working 80+ hours/week will 'change the world,' though; in the same way that the Scarecrow's compound will 'take you places.'
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

I seem to remember Trump saying much the same thing, he only sleeps like 4 hours a night or something. Maybe when you're a rich person pretending you're going to fix everything and obviously lying you aren't allowed to sleep.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

I'd feel slightly better knowing that people who SHOULDN'T be able to sleep at night actually can't. I figured they snuggled down not caring that they're literally murdering children without any discomfort at all.