Moments when a piece of entertainment completely rocked you.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Bojack Horseman Season 5. Not as great as season 4 but still very good.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Post by Hiram McDaniels »

Leress wrote:Bojack Horseman Season 5. Not as great as season 4 but still very good.
Last season was phenomenal - but the free churros episode from season 5 was outstanding.

It’s to the shows credit that no matter how despicable bojack is, you can’t help but root for him.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Hiram McDaniels wrote:
Leress wrote:Bojack Horseman Season 5. Not as great as season 4 but still very good.
Last season was phenomenal - but the free churros episode from season 5 was outstanding.

It’s to the shows credit that no matter how despicable bojack is, you can’t help but root for him.
free churros episode is one of the top bojack episodes of the whole series, for me.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Yeah, this season wasn't the best, but was still good.
Jesus Christ, we were in the intensive care unit. She was just reading a sign.
On the upside: There were also a few subtle-ish things like Bojack always justifying the pills because he was in pain, with the specifics being his mother dying or potentially getting a negative review (not the physical pain the pills were meant for). Also, all of the characters seemed to have a pretty good episode starring them.

On the downside: Too much Todd.

I wouldn't mind a season 6 focusing on the other characters more, with Bojack being gone for a while. He's not a bad character or anything, but we already know how another season starring him would go.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Iduno wrote: On the downside: Too much Todd.
This! He's ok in small doses, but I just don't find him that interesting vs the other characters. And the Henry Fondle subplot...meh
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

The new Netflix show The Curious Creations of Christine McConnell is great, but I'm really confused by it. The tone is very kid's cooking show, but there are a lot of jokes about the taxidermied raccoon character having sex with neighborhood dogs. And garden gnomes. And telling the other creature characters to not touch the nipples of the bound and ball gagged neighbor because those are all her's.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I had friends raving about Rick and Morty intermittently for a long time. Finally watched some clips on youtube and it seemed legit so I bought the 3 seasons and binged em happily and heartily recommend this R-rated sci-fi Simpsons. I actually most enjoy the emotional content. Or the feels, if you will.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

erik wrote:I had friends raving about Rick and Morty intermittently for a long time. Finally watched some clips on youtube and it seemed legit so I bought the 3 seasons and binged em happily and heartily recommend this R-rated sci-fi Simpsons. I actually most enjoy the emotional content. Or the feels, if you will.
I still need to watch Season 3. I didn't have cable until I moved. It is by far my favorite cartoon.
shinimasu
Master

Post by shinimasu »

So after three years of Hiatus the Limetown podcast is scheduled to resume production on October 31st and I could not be more stoked.

The first season is a sci-thriller styled like a series of investigative journalism interviews with the surviving residents of a place called Limetown, who were thought to have all mysteriously disappeared years ago and have just now started resurfacing in order to specifically seek out the story's protagonist and divulge what really happened to them.

But I want to gush about this thing because it's hands down the best voice acting I have ever heard in a podcast. Normally the "investigative journalism" framework is used to hide how stilted everyone is, but every actor they have sounds so fucking natural. However the short length of the podcast + ending on a cliffhanger + 3 years of inactivity meant I couldn't in good faith recommend it to anyone. They'd end up like me, blue balled and wanting more.

But it's starting up again and soon so now I'm the hype train bitch.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

That sounds like a good podcast. I'm definitely going give that a listen.

On the topic of podcasts, I have been enjoying Wolverine: The Long Night. Some of the voice actors are a little too flowery, but it's a fun story.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Big mouth on Netflix.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

... Reasons?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Shrapnel wrote:... Reasons?
Sorry, was in a hurry. At first I thought it was going to be standard juvenile animated show like others that were on netflix. It was still juvenile but also like some have describe the show as "Like the movie 'Inside Out' but for adults". It does explore the awkardness and good and the bad of puberty. The second season got better with adding dimensions to some to the second tier characters.
]
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Castlevania s2 on Netflix was really good for the most part. I was skeptical because season 1 wasn't that great and ended right when it felt like the narrative was starting, but season 2 is much improved (dialog is less terrible, they explore the characters a bit more, art style looks cleaner, etc). I would recommend it to anyone, with the following caveats:

* Skip season 1 and read a synopsis on the internet, and start s2e1.

* Skip the last episode. It's like they couldn't decide on the stinger to put after the credits of s2e7, so they made an entire episode of stingers. It's like the ending to Return of the King except worse, but any one of the scenes would have made for an after post-credits scene.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Castlevania s2 on Netflix was really good for the most part. I was skeptical because season 1 wasn't that great and ended right when it felt like the narrative was starting, but season 2 is much improved (dialog is less terrible, they explore the characters a bit more, art style looks cleaner, etc). I would recommend it to anyone, with the following caveats:

* Skip the last episode. It's like they couldn't decide on the stinger to put after the credits of s2e7, so they made an entire episode of stingers. It's like the ending to Return of the King except worse, but any one of the scenes would have made for an after post-credits scene.
I believe you're going for "damning with faint praise"?

I mean, I'm watching Supernatural, a show so stupid they had to make one character a psychic to explain the leaps of logic they made, and I'm enjoying it. I understand. But at least sell us on it a bit.
Last edited by Iduno on Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I wouldn't be able to convince someone water was wet if I opened my argument by throwing them in a lake. Watch it or don't, I'm not getting paid when people watch it.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:Castlevania s2 on Netflix was really good for the most part. I was skeptical because season 1 wasn't that great and ended right when it felt like the narrative was starting, but season 2 is much improved (dialog is less terrible, they explore the characters a bit more, art style looks cleaner, etc). I would recommend it to anyone, with the following caveats:

I like that the background music for the battle in ep. 7 was a version of bloody tears.
The most dangerous game is man. The most entertaining game is Broadway Puppy Ball. The most weird game is Esoteric Bear.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ancient History wrote:K/DA music video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
I originally only saw gifs from that, and didn't look closely enough to notice it wasn't a real person. Given I don't play LoL, I started searching for this rapper with a strong use of florescent paint and UV light and demonic aesthetic, and was super goddamned confused for a good 10 minutes or so...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Hiram McDaniels wrote:
I like that the background music for the battle in ep. 7 was a version of bloody tears.
That was a nice touch. Also I like Godbrand, he was the only vampire that seemed to have any damn sense.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Still only 4 episodes in to S2 (borderline living at work atm) but the VA for Godbrand is the voice of the Swedish merc Mattias Nilsson from the Mercenaries games. I was having trouble placing his voice when he first started talking.
Hiram McDaniels
Knight

Pariah Dog wrote:Still only 4 episodes in to S2 (borderline living at work atm) but the VA for Godbrand is the voice of the Swedish merc Mattias Nilsson from the Mercenaries games. I was having trouble placing his voice when he first started talking.
Peter Stormare. Very prolific actor in both live action and voice over. Perhaps best known as the guy feeding Steve Buscemi into a wood chipper in Fargo.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Yeah. I ended up looking him up after the light bulb went off during his flashback scene and I recognized him from Mercenaries.
Last edited by Pariah Dog on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Hiram McDaniels wrote: I like that the background music for the battle in ep. 7 was a version of bloody tears.
Good, I've spent all first season waiting for recognizable music (and for something to happen)
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

I really liked s2 of castlevania. I could've done with seeing a BIT more hero-v-monster fighting, but too much gets boring so I'm glad at least they went with less rather than more.