Image macros that make you laugh, cry, or both.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I can relate, I also hunt buxom women that sometimes shapeshift into ape demons.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

WHY WOULD SOMEONE DRAW THAT
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Count Arioch the 28th
King

The Japanese are talented at body horror.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Meh, I've seen worse.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Wiseman wrote:Meh, I've seen worse.
There is always more fucked up shit than the shit you just saw, saying this isn't weird because you've seen worse is like saying someone should be unhappy because they're less rich than Bill Gates.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
There is always more fucked up shit than the shit you just saw, saying this isn't weird because you've seen worse is like saying someone should be unhappy because they're less rich than Bill Gates.
Should really update your analogies to Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world, who's employees sometimes literally die from holding in pee because they will be fired if they take a break to go to the restroom.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

That's why I always insert a catheter before going to work. No pee, no problem, just get a long enough tube to run down one pants leg and you're golden.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Kaelik wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
Should really update your analogies to Jeff Bezos, the richest man in the world, who's employees sometimes literally die from holding in pee because they will be fired if they take a break to go to the restroom.
Technically they're not his employees. They're temp agency employees so he doesn't have to give them full benefits.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:That's why I always insert a catheter before going to work. No pee, no problem, just get a long enough tube to run down one pants leg and you're golden.
:roll: i see what you did there.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
erik
King

Post by erik »

Hicks wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:That's why I always insert a catheter before going to work. No pee, no problem, just get a long enough tube to run down one pants leg and you're golden.
:roll: i see what you did there.
Then the tube must not have been long enough.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

At last, someone who can cater that one event!
Last edited by virgil on Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

ETortoise
Master

Post by ETortoise »

I was curious so I googled it and found their training video. There were a lot of mediocre to bad chokes on display. I’m sure poor training is a big contributor to choking related homicides by police, but there’s an easier solution than this. Not choking suspects. Police generally outnumber people they’re trying to arrest and should be able to cuff suspects without using dangerous holds. Take Eric Garner for example, Pantaleo’s shitty rnc was completely superfluous to the arrest and turned state-sanctioned harassment into state-sanctioned murder.

Cops need to be stopping less people and they also need to stop seeing large black men as super-humanly dangerous murder-machines. If that doesn’t happen, this choke-safety trainer is just going to lead to more people being choked by cops (because they’ll think it’s safe,) and more deaths.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

This isn't a gotcha, it's what conservatives have always believed.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Uh, no, the medieval conservativism was that the way of the world was laid out by God, and that talk of changing anything at all was just the work of the Devil.

US conservatives have held all sorts of opinions, but generally that rich men's business is good business and the mass of poor people needed to do all the real work for them are the only existential threat to society of note. The idea that money should trickle down at all was just "Communism" for most of the 20th century, and thus bad.

Trickle-down is the prerogative term applied by opponents of neoliberalism, starting in the late 70's, where bogus supply-side theories are modified from "low taxes in general help everyone" to even more bogus "low taxes for rich people help everyone".

Though I guess if you're young and don't ever read history, that is "always".
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

ETortoise wrote:Cops need to be stopping less people and they also need to stop seeing large black men as super-humanly dangerous murder-machines.
Also, unarmed black children.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I never understood how and why people believed in trickle down economics.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:I never understood how and why people believed in trickle down economics.
Trickle down economics is something that would work in the hypothetical world where all cows are spherical and humans are perfectly rational economically maximizing sociopaths, Homo economicus will always reinvest all excess monies into a diverse and robust portfolio of moderate-risk moderate reward ventures that are overall likely to improve the economy long term, and never screws over others for short-term profits at the expense of long term gain, and never takes stupid risks like chasing bubbles, and never just sits on money that could be reinvested for greater gain.

In this world, Earth has no atmosphere or friction, but that's okay because no one needs to breathe and everyone gets around using giant perfectly elastic slingshots.

But yes, if you assume everyone will make good decisions, the math says that trickle down economics should work.

The problem is that people are not perfectly rational maximizers, and are often short-sighted idiots.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Even in spherical cow land, trickle down still wouldn't work. A combination of risk, economic leverage, and asymmetry of information would result in the steady accumulation of capital in fewer larger organizations over time.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

In economics, spherical cow land is a world of perfectly omniscient long-run rational actors where start-up/ramp-up costs and times are always zero. Every part of that is complete and total bullshit, but when you do plug those assumptions into your utopia fantasy bullshit simulator you do get a system which drives the price of all goods down to their cost of production. Including labor, unless you start special pleading, and since labor's cost of production is the cost of sustenance living fuck that noise.

In the real world, none of that applies and labor is the closest thing the world has to a truly competitive market, and is therefore the honest-to-god worst possible market you can get into as a seller. Selling labor is for the seven billion chumps who didn't have any better options - like being born to a billionaire. That's the best option. You should do that instead.
Stahlseele wrote:I never understood how and why people believed in trickle down economics.
It's the 1930's. The United States is in the middle of the Great Depression, and it is awful. A man named FDR promises workers a better life, building a loose coalition between a variety of minority groups, northern social progressives, and white southern workers desperate for any kind of relief. Now to be clear, white southern voters were horribly fucking racist. But the democratic party had not yet made "racism bad" a part of the national party platform, and so in the interest of not starving to death white southerners supported FDR for his pro-worker policies and just hated every other wing of the party.

WW2 ends and with it the Great Depression ends, too. No longer cripplingly dependent on FDR-style policies, it is at this point that the democratic party's increasingly vocal embrace of the civil rights movement becomes intolerable to white southerners, and the Republican party capitalizes on this in the 1960's by running on racist dogwhistles (Nixon). Note: the Republican party has been and always will be a party of corruption and special interests. That is it's core identity. They adopted racism for votes, but their actual platform has always been the redistribution of wealth upwards, always andd forever.

By the time Reagan comes along to do his whole supply-side/trickle-down bullshit, no one gives a shit about that. White southerners are voting for Reagan because they think Reagan will put the darkies back in their place. Religious fundamentalists are voting for Reagan because they think Reagan will put the women back in their place. The capitalist winners of society are voting for Reagan because "fuck you got mine" - the Republican party is the party of the redistribution of wealth upwards, always and forever.

No one important ever believed in supply-side economics. There are people who didn't give a fuck whether or not supply-side worked because they were voting cultural issues (specifically, voting for more racism and more sexism) and there are people who didn't give a fuck whether or not supply-side worked because even if it didn't work for anyone else they would still be getting their handouts (fuck you got mine). Some of these people will tell you supply-side works, but that's just because the politicians they already liked for other reasons told them it would work, and even if you convinced them supply-side didn't work, they would still vote for those same politicians because "racism" and "fuck you got mine".

That is how the Republican party operates. It uses cultural issues to convince white southerners to vote to make themselves poorer. Bullshit like supply-side isn't even meant for the voters. It's meant for the donors. It's how Republicans go on national television and tell their donors "don't worry, we're going to take poor people's money and give it to you guys" without offending the poor people whose money they're threatening to steal. The message that's actually meant for Republican voters is the part about welfare queens and Mexican rapists. That's what they want to hear.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K
King

Post by K »

tussock wrote:Uh, no, the medieval conservativism was that the way of the world was laid out by God, and that talk of changing anything at all was just the work of the Devil.

US conservatives have held all sorts of opinions, but generally that rich men's business is good business and the mass of poor people needed to do all the real work for them are the only existential threat to society of note. The idea that money should trickle down at all was just "Communism" for most of the 20th century, and thus bad.

Trickle-down is the prerogative term applied by opponents of neoliberalism, starting in the late 70's, where bogus supply-side theories are modified from "low taxes in general help everyone" to even more bogus "low taxes for rich people help everyone".

Though I guess if you're young and don't ever read history, that is "always".
Perhaps you are unaware of the prosperity gospel? Modern and medieval conservationism have a lot in common.

Like Jesus, no bad idea is allowed to die and must be resurrected.