Annoying Game Questions You Want Answered

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

rampaging-poet wrote:So my pathfinder party found a crystal ball with telepathy at level 7. Teleport is nerfed, so hanging on to it for scry-and-die isn't as effective as it would normally be. Is it still worth trying to hang on to for spying & telecommunications, or should we cash it in for 35k worth of stuff we can use?
Depends on whether you want to play (and whether the GM wants to run) a spying/intrigue based game.

Theoretically, the Crystal Ball w/ Telepathy is a ridiculously potent item on a strategic level, allowing you to not only gather all kinds of intelligence but then sell/trade that intel remotely. You could pretty much become a major information broker based on that item alone. However, if the group wants a more typical game, that's not going to fit so well.

If you do keep it, a tip - don't scry on people directly, scry on their pets/mounts. Not only do animals have lower saves, but they won't be able to effectively communicate "someone just tried to scry on me" if they do succeed. Similarly, you can scry on other people who you know are near the target.

Also, with telepathy you can make someone your willing scrying point. Use the ball to find some info they'd care about (where the rich merchant they hate hides the key to his warehouse, for example), and in exchange they walk around where you direct while you watch the area around them. Or if you're good at bluffing, pretend to be an angel/demon with a divine mission for them.
Last edited by Ice9 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Any soundtracks y'all use for scifi, cyberpunk games?
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

For unoptimistic sci-fi, my go-tos are Contagion, the animated Dark Knight Returns, and Babylon 5.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
violence in the media
Duke

Post by violence in the media »

Have you tried Melodice?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

The Cyberpunk 2077 trailer had some really fun designs, does Cyberpunk 2020 RPG artwork look like that? Were there like specific clothing, characters, weapons, vehicles, settings etc that showed up in the video game adaption?

The medivac guys had a neat symbol and cool armor
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Cyberpunk (2013 or 2020) has pretty solid artwork. It's basically all B/W lineart, but some of it is really quite good, and very little of it is raw garbage. That said, the line has a significant problem: none of the art subjects are reused. They reused specific pieces plenty of times (that one woman with a cyberarm, kneeling down in a negligee shows up in a couple books, IIRC), but they don't reuse subjects, so there aren't really iconic characters or vehicles or guns or anything. All of the art is one-off. Which means you've got a wide array of guns, sure, but none of them stand out as being particularly well known, in universe or out. It doesn't help that none of the art is captioned or titled, so none of the characters have *names*.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

What would be a good system for a Fallout tabletop game? I'm kinda leaning Fate, but that's mostly because Fallout Fate would be a great way to get a friend interested in running to actually start.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

GURPS
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

...I will have to look at that thing I was completely unaware of.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

Vampire the Requiem 2ed question:

Once you have 6 Blood Potency, you need to feed on vampires.

How do you do this while avoiding the blood bond? 6+ gen vampires can go though a lot of blood...
Last edited by Strung Nether on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Strung
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Strung Nether wrote:Vampire the Requiem 2ed question:

How do you do this while avoiding the blood bond? 6+ gen vampires can go though a lot of blood...
Easiest solution is just to get blood bonded to one of your own bitches because you become immune to further bonds once you have one. If you really care you can get one of thoseblood potion dosciplines because most of the blood beer and blood perfume and shot doesn't bond. You can also take any of the alternate feeding disciplines. The Queen of the Damned thing the book thinks you will do where you drink someone dry and then murder stab them and then move on to the next victim is pretty much pointless in most cases. And it's pointless in all cases for PCs, where blood bonding to other members of the coterie isn't a drawback.

But fundamentally the whole blood bonding thing doesn't work. It's a bad idea all around.

-Username17
Strung Nether
Journeyman

Post by Strung Nether »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Strung Nether wrote:Vampire the Requiem 2ed question:

Easiest solution is just to get blood bonded to one of your own bitches because you become immune to further bonds once you have one. If you really care you can get one of thoseblood potion dosciplines because most of the blood beer and blood perfume and shot doesn't bond. You can also take any of the alternate feeding disciplines. The Queen of the Damned thing the book thinks you will do where you drink someone dry and then murder stab them and then move on to the next victim is pretty much pointless in most cases. And it's pointless in all cases for PCs, where blood bonding to other members of the coterie isn't a drawback.

But fundamentally the whole blood bonding thing doesn't work. It's a bad idea all around.

-Username17
Explain further? I don't think second edition has blood beer?
-Strung
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I'm in an urban fantasy game where there's a spell to make objects not suffer degrading from use. It's obviously intended to make swords that don't need sharpening and such, but there must be at least a couple of modern machines that would be terrifying if their parts didn't wear down. Any suggestions?
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Grenades.

More practically: break pads, grinding tools, scalpels, bullets, sterno, lightbulbs, clothing and SSDs.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Body armor, chain-fed firearms, incendiaries, artificial hearts, literally any vehicle with a redline.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
K
King

Post by K »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm in an urban fantasy game where there's a spell to make objects not suffer degrading from use. It's obviously intended to make swords that don't need sharpening and such, but there must be at least a couple of modern machines that would be terrifying if their parts didn't wear down. Any suggestions?
Chainsaws, which are frighteningly terrifying as melee weapons to the user because a broken chain can decapitate the wielder.

Knives made of surgically-sharp and fragile materials like obsidian.

Phosphorus rounds, which I assume would continue burning in the target.

Radioactive material, which would have no half-life.

Very thin wires for garroting or traps.

Battery-powered anything, since battery power is a chemical degradation and high-end items might normally only have one shot. Super tasers to tesla-coil lightning guns.

Organic poisons that might denature over time.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Oh, hey, yeah, monomolecular edged anything with that spell would be fucking terrifying.

hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:I'm in an urban fantasy game where there's a spell to make objects not suffer degrading from use. It's obviously intended to make swords that don't need sharpening and such, but there must be at least a couple of modern machines that would be terrifying if their parts didn't wear down. Any suggestions?
It depends on how you define degradation. Because this spell could either be incredibly broken or completely worthless depending on the wording and exact mechanics.

It's impossible to say for sure without knowing the mechanics, because different mechanics will produce vastly different interactions with the same objects.

Another key problem is that modern machines that would benefit from this most probably aren't going to have any trouble cutting though flesh in the first place, and aren't used as weapons because they're extremely unwieldy and/or tied to stationary power sources.

But assuming that this doesn't effect chemical transformations or wear that is necessary to its function, a side grinder.

A side grinder uses spinning abrasive discs to cut through steel. These discs wear down rapidly from use and have to be changed regularly. This won't be a useful weapon compared to a sword, but it would be great to cut though barriers.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

A big question is what it does about reactions. So obviously a set of steel armor doesn't become rusty. Does that mean that it simply does not engage in chemical reactions that are entropically favored? If that's how it works, then a battery wouldn't output any electricity, TNT wouldn't explode, and uranium wouldn't produce any radiation. Now obviously that would make batteries and explosives useless, since you couldn't get energy out of them. But it would allow you to use materials that would normally be way too unstable or dangerous to be around.

Another issue is shell armor. It protects the person inside unless and until something breaks through it. But if it doesn't degrade, does that make it impervious? If so, the person inside is basically invulnerable as well.

So depending on how it works you either have metallic sodium fire swords that never stop burning or you have invincible uranium armor that produces zero radiation and is totally safe to wear.

-Username17
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

This sorta thing is tricky because things either tend to be outright broken (like the stuff Frank is talking about) or relatively meaningless due to timeframe/conservation of detail constraints. For example, the military would be quite stoked to get their hands heat proof barrels and machine guns that never fail to extract but if you have the kind of GM that really frets over that kind of shit in-game then you've got bigger problems than I can help you with.

Anyway, if it's a ruleset where melee actually matters then the easiest bet would be to simply see if you can finagle some bonuses by using sharp things that would normally be awesome but impractical. For example, durable obsidian blades would be good mean-spirited fun for the whole family. Decapitations are just classier when you're rocking a macuahuitl.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Does the spell have a mechanical description of sorts?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Trill
Knight

Post by Trill »

How precise is it? Can you say "this part is safe from breaking down but this part is unaffected" or is it all or nothing?
Because if it isn't, then you can make your own radiation cannon. Just take a cylindrical piece of uranium or other heavy radioactive element of choice, and make the whole surface protected except for an area on one of the circular ends.
Wa la, you now have a cancer stick. Just point towards your enemies
Mord, on Cosmic Horror wrote:Today if I say to the man on the street, "Did you know that the world you live in is a fragile veneer of normality over an uncaring universe, that we could all die at any moment at the whim of beings unknown to us for reasons having nothing to do with ourselves, and that as far as the rest of the universe is concerned, nothing anyone ever did with their life has ever mattered?" his response, if any, will be "Yes, of course; now if you'll excuse me, I need to retweet Sonic the Hedgehog." What do you even do with that?
JigokuBosatsu wrote:"In Hell, The Revolution Will Not Be Affordable"
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

People bounce around the inside of impermeable armour when it's hit. You can be nicely strapped into a system of belts, as people were with real plate armour, but you're still so much goo on the visor in a sufficiently high-g event, like being hit by a truck.

But really, a truck. Like, just kill everyone and everything. You sort of already can but they eventually break after 50-100 people, or hitting poles or planters, and the driver can be shot through the window, and the fuel leads are trouble, but if your truck is literally unbreakable you just have to make sure and not get hooked up on any of the things you just destroyed by driving a truck through them.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

As I understand it, the object isn't subject to age or wear of use, but deliberate attempts to damage it still work, because intention is magic. How that would interact with armor isn't clear.

Lots of food for thought, though. Thanks all.