Final Fantasy Megathread

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I'm going to commit some hardcore heresy here, especially considering how shallow my complaint is: I actually don't like FF9 all that much. I've played and seen enough of the game to know that I could really like it but I absolutely despise the character designs in the game. It's a complete dealbreaker for me. I seriously would rather play the shallow teenyboppers of 8 than the goofy cutesy cartoon characters of 9.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I'm the opposite. I much preferred the chatacter models of 9. It gave it a weird retro feel ( for me ).
The big heads and general character art direction made it feel like an SNES game stepped into '3D-land'.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I think it might be a reactionary thing: FF8 went for more grown-up realistic characters (admittedly, teenagers with no/bad personalities, and the overall graphical effect was really grainy because of the level of detail they were trying to get in that engine). Also, everybody hated FF8 (because it was shit).

So the take-home lesson for Square was "people want the character design of the SNES games, which is also the non-combat design FF7 had" and then they just went all-out and made half the cast kids (and the rest of them extra cartoony, like Rusty).

FF9 didn't seem to be that popular, maybe because of timing or advertising or "people still had bad feelings from 8" or because there was no iconic sword, or maybe because they didn't want to play as cartoony kids. Either way, it seems they then launched back in the other direction for 8, going for all-adults (or late teens) again, and this time with a processor that can handle the level of detail. And 10 was actually popular enough that it didn't result in 1112 being back to chibis or children.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Koumei wrote:FF9 didn't seem to be that popular, maybe because of timing or advertising or "people still had bad feelings from 8" or because there was no iconic sword, or maybe because they didn't want to play as cartoony kids. Either way, it seems they then launched back in the other direction for 8, going for all-adults (or late teens) again, and this time with a processor that can handle the level of detail. And 10 was actually popular enough that it didn't result in 1112 being back to chibis or children.
Yea, all of the above.
It was released way too late in the PSX life cycle, the PS2 was already slated for release ffs.

As well as 8 burning people out and not appealing to the ZOMG GRAFIXIZ crowd, 9 was definitely a niche game. It wasn't as awesome as other under-sold games (Xenogears), but it definitely didn't get enough love.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I also didn't like the way FF9 seemed to rely too much on mini-games and sub-systems I wasn't interested in. I hated the FF8 card game, and I hated the FF9 one just as much. Likewise having to Steal* all the time just to get good items and to power up Z-Man's best attack, and having to Demi enemies so Fatso could eat them and learn moves...

*Enemies having steal-only items that aren't found on their corpses is something that particularly pisses me off in games.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

FFTA and Marche.

Hero or villain?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:FFTA and Marche.

Hero or villain?
Hero.

The games got a pretty obvious message about how it is important to live in the real world, not some elaborate fantasy. It could have been done a lot better, maybe drawing some parallels between the one guy's dad (Mewt?) drinking rather than facing his problems, but it is easy to see what they were going for.

Besides, you would realize Ivalice is a crap sack world if you had to live there. The all powerful monarch, the omnipresent judges unfailing enforcing the interchanging and pointless laws, that fact that the number one economic activity seems to be gang warfare, and the fact that monsters are so rampant that mercenaries are always in demand all add up to a world that would be terrible to live in if you were not the star of the show.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Oh, oh, can we talk about Ivalice? Specifically the non-tactics games that are set in Ivalice. We could talk about XII, which I like a lot, but I'd rather talk about Vagrant story, which cannalogically takes place in Ivalice after all the races other than humans have died out due to a cataclysm.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Guys what is you favorite Bahamut to make an appearance in final fantasy? Mine is ff9 because blind demon dragon fucks shit up is important to the plot if only vaguely.

Also why the fuck is there only five summons in all of FF15? My only complaint for the game is is lack of summons damn it.
I have currently hit the ignore feature 5 times on accident, and only once on purpose. This has got to be some kind of record.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Mine is the FFIV version because in the first North American version (the one released for the SNES as "Final Fantasy II") Megaflare is called Meganuke, and that is the most awesome name for a spell in any Final Fantasy ever.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).