Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

So I finally got around watching the DoW 3 gameplay preview and many lulz were had.

-Eldar are still the same horde race from DoW II whose only threat is their endless numbers with which they try to mindlessly swarm you with such lack of strategy that it would make an ork warboss cringe.
-Eldar wraithguard talking!
-Eldar wraithguard serving as commanding officers giving orders!
-Grabriel! HAMMER TIME! Angelos! Hammer Jump! Hammer Deflection! Well, the game is called Warhammer.
-First official named female Knight pilot in 40k! Good to see Relic does sneaks some gender equality now and then. GW probably has a clause somewhere that they would sue if a female marine were to appear anywhere in-game.

But heh graphics are pretty sweet and at least it's no longer trying to convince us that half a dozen dudes counts as an army.
Last edited by maglag on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

So.

XCOM 2

I thought hey. I should go play the new DLC. And also that other DLC that sounded crap that I sort of just ignored.

Short version. I am... not impressed...

Long Version? Does anyone care? I get the impression this one has been a fizzer on the long term appeal front if the total drop off in interest from the usually fanatical XCOM fan boys that seem to have total control over RockPaperShotgun is any sign.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Doom is pretty damn good. I do find it funny that Nvidia Experience says my PC isn't good enough to run it, and so it won't do optimization on it. On the other hand, the game itself runs at 60 FPS, at least on Vulkan. Heh.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Anyone else playing 999/Virtue's Last Reward/Zero Time Dilemma?

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Meikle641 wrote:Doom is pretty damn good. I do find it funny that Nvidia Experience says my PC isn't good enough to run it, and so it won't do optimization on it. On the other hand, the game itself runs at 60 FPS, at least on Vulkan. Heh.
The lead artist posts on twitter often, I figure his dream game would be something 80's mecha anime lookin
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

And seven days before my birthday! Now I know what to ask for!
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

I didn't have a NES when I grew up (I know, first world problems), so if it's a reasonable price I'm going to get it.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

looks like 60U$ with one controller included. 10$ for a single controller.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

My gamer auntie says it'll be $90 Australian, which is reasonable. Part of me was hoping for around $50 but I can still swing 90 and that works out to $3 per game. About thirteen of those are on the "I really want to play" list, and several others are "It's in the bundle, why not?" with only a few being "Not my thing, I'll give it a miss".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Hope it will have at least a bit of upscaling . . because imagine the 144p or whatever it was back then on todays big screens . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Been playing a... wouldn't necessarily call it a game as much as a visual novel. It's called VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action and it is pretty decent so far. Waifu bartending gameplay at its best.

Done in an old style of graphics, presumably to emulate the like, PC-98 or whatever from Japan. The visuals fit and clearly took work, and the soundtrack is very nice.

The writing is weird, but good. The NPCs are interesting and the girls are cute.

The main game mechanic is the selection and mixing of drinks. You've got five chemicals to choose from, and the options of adding "Age" and Ice to a beverage. Each cocktail requires specific chemicals, and you can double up to make a drink "Big". Customers sometimes won't actually say what you want, so you then have to look through the recipes and find something that might do the trick.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

So I decided to play some Starbound, now that it's finally been released.

It's okay so far. Thankfully you no longer have to replace your crappy matter manipulator with the divine tool of the gods - a holy pickaxe.
Last edited by Longes on Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Starbound remains terrible.

The serious issues with lag and performance have improved... but not gone. You will notice this later on in the game, either due to long sittings or too much activity on screen. At the very least you will notice it in that one story mission where they have you besieged by hoards of characters. Hoards of only about five characters at a time because the fucking hand made engine cannot handle more than that on screen at once...

There is basically not just no new content but in fact LESS content than there has been during development. You can craft crap all weapons, there are absolutely NO functional differences between species armours (or species), and people who seem to be keeping track are even complaining that the number of character customization options at the start of the game have been hacked down by potentially as much as 60%.

There were a few improvements with release. Essentially it seems they basically polished up the early game a bit. But once you play through the gear progression, and the story missions (all what? 6ish of them?) the only part of which that takes any time being the "fuck you scour the universe for a specific village type" intermissions... well after that there is nothing.

The "post story+gear progression" game is a game where you have already exhausted the exploration game to it's TINY limits, where the ONLY planets that are at your level and drop gear at your level are volcanic and shadow so enjoy cheerfully being stuck with them forever, and the only thing to do is build colonies and do their random character random fetch quests for no reason and no meaningful rewards.

The game has only a handful of truly unique weapons/items in it. Which you mostly will never see because they have insane low drop rates. Instead you will just see the same dull as ass normal weapons with the same mechanics/functions from level one only with bigger numbers right through your entire progress through the game.

The GUI has been sabotaged shortly before 1.0 when they suddenly replaced a functional hotbar with a monstrosity only a Console Gamer/Fanboy could love and simply raised a middle finger at their own player base for the remaining weeks until release.

The techs, you know your special mobility stuff are... horrendously limited. Oh hey double jump. Nice. What? TRIPLE JUMP! Oh wait all the extra jumps are smaller and you only jump fractionally higher than double with perfect timing, FINE I'll pick rocket jump instead (can't have both), oh... er... only a few pixels higher and it eats all your energy... um... OK what about dashes, WTF you can't air dash unless you pick a specific tech? But then you can't do any other dash, not that there are any particularly exciting one? Yeah basically all the techs are boring and obsessed with making sure they fucking suck. Like much of the rest of the game that HATES giving you nice things.

Environmental survival is a fucking joke. You do it with a backpack item that you upgrade to eventually let you survive on all planets. But unfortunately, fuck you you get to have that item OR the one that gives you a mobile light source. So an end game character gets to pick between not dying on half the planets in the game... OR being able to see in the dark. Because fuck you both at once would be too generous for THIS asshole of a game.

Many planets are empty and purposeless. The new colony system random quests mean that if you build on Barren or Asteroid worlds (still tagged as recommended building sites) half the quests, the non fetch quest half, just cannot happen. Building on asteroids is ass anyway because low gravity is a chore, you can never fix low gravity, you can NEVER FLY, you can fall off, you can NEVER pressurize buildings and supply oxygen and must always wear your stupid backpack. Moons are also dull as shit have been stripped of all interesting content like dungeons (so have asteroids that used to have random base things in them), but you are FORCED to moons if you want fuel without paying exorbitant prices for it and you get chased by a giant lame invulnerable ghost thing, apparently because "lulz its some sort of dank meme". Ocean planets are annoying and poison ocean planets flat out have no reason to exist and NO MEANS EVER of actually meaningfully surviving in their oceans.

Hey how about vehicles? Well. They suck, no promised mechs, only really that boat and some hover bikes, wildly expensive ones. They BARELY FUNCTION and TAKE DAMAGE WHILE DOING SO NORMALLY.

Or hey what about the randomised monsters, HAH! Barely exist and they suck. Well what about the randomised mini-boss monsters that dropped unique loot items? Oh, those are just suddenly GONE WITH NO EXPLANATION. OK, what about the promised larger random miniboss monsters? OK THOSE never got implemented with no mention. OK what about the pokemon bullshit with evolving your monsters? Nope, its a token thing at best with minimal functional support and none of the promised evolved monster forms.

And you know what, the list goes fucking on and on...

In the end they effectively sat there for years of development hell going fucking nowhere, then at the last minute they pulled JUST enough polish out of their ass to pass off the material that they had been NOT developing for years as a finished game. Everything is not fine, it's almost text book early access failure/rip off job.
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

"Everything is fine" was actually a reference rather than the comment on the state of the game. I've only played 30 minutes or so, so I guess I haven't seen most problems yet. But you can sit on a bench while the world is being destroyed around you.

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Saw Guild Wars 2 is f2p, so installing it.

Still stuck in Tier II in Warthunder....
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Playing what?
Tanks?
Planes?
Any News on Ships?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Warplanes. I've got 6 Japanese Tier II planes researched except the last one costs more silver lions than I've got so now I gotta grind for silver.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i tried warplanes. my head did not like that <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

So, I got the new Doom, just started playing today. It's really fun, and I'm enjoying it a lot. (I especially liked the "rip and tear" reference in the opening cutscene.)

One question: is it connected to any of the previous Dooms, or is it a reboot?
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

NuDoom does not appear to be a part of any existing continuity, even though it really wants to trick you into thinking that it is in some weird way.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

So I've kind of been convinced by Jim Fucking Sterling, and the realisation that there is no "add more games" capacity to the NESreboot - there is no USB slot, no cartridge slot, and no internet capability. I decided that if I really wanted to play any of the games I'd just emulate them, and for that matter, the best CastleVAAAAAAANIA is of course Symphony of the What Is a Man, for Playstation, and Mario moves like an alcoholic, Sonic 1-3+Knuckles wins forever.

Then Maxus linked to the rerelease of the Mega Drive (Genesis), which comes with 80 games and allows you to plug cartridges (PAL and NTSC) in. I wonder where they got THAT brilliant idea?

If I get any of them, it'd be that one. It helps that it's the 16-bit era which has loads more good games, and has the capacity for them to later on release cartridges loaded up with more games. I mean, 40 of the base games on it are not classic games the console had but are bullshit like Sudoku, Snake and Memory Match. On the other hand: ComixZone, Eternal Champions, all of the good Sonic games, all Golden Axe games, Mortal Kombat 1-3, Phantasy Star 2-3, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi 3, The Ooze. They're all solid.

But it still competes against "Just use an emulator".
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Comix Zone was fucking awesome.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Shrapnel wrote:So, I got the new Doom, just started playing today. It's really fun, and I'm enjoying it a lot. (I especially liked the "rip and tear" reference in the opening cutscene.)

One question: is it connected to any of the previous Dooms, or is it a reboot?
DOOM (2016) is implied to be a direct sequel of Doom (1993). The (1993) Marine goes to Hell and kills demons, earning the nickname "Doom Marine", because Hell can't into names I guess. He is eventually trapped by demons and sealed in a coffin. Eventually a (2016) Earth builds a portal to hell and recovers the (1993) Marine, and then the game starts.