Video Games

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

maglag wrote:Meanwhile, the trailer of Infinite Warfare is almost at 1,5 million dislikes. That's more than the likes than Dawn of Battlefield 1940K got.
Having seen that trailer, I am not surprised. It's bland as shit, and the graphics are last generation. I'm not exactly a graphics whore, but what's the excuse for rolling out the same fucking game every year if you aren't even updating the graphics?

Edit: Obviously, the vast majority of the BF trailer is just cutscene with a loltastic "our engine rendered this so we've put a misleading footnote at the bottom" (and I think they stuffed a couple seconds of actual gameplay that isn't actually actual gameplay in at the end), but then again so is the Infinite Warfare trailer and it still looks like shit.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue May 10, 2016 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Man you're right. For a trailer with space ships and pseudo-mechas and explosions, it is really bland.

I guess they're checking how lazy they can get with that franchise and still sell millions. Why bother spending time/money updating the graphics anymore if the fanboys are completely brainwashed and will buy the next title no matter what?
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Urk, Stellaris is as horribly addictive to me as i had feared x.x
At 4 in the morning i realized that i had to get up for work in not enough hours.
After having played 6 hours already <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

maglag wrote:"Experience exciting fast-paced gameplay with 1-minute reload musket rifles!

Play alongside thousands of players in tactical battles as you cooperate to form in square, phalanx or line!

Kill streaks gets you a 12 pound cannon horse-dropped to your position!"

A trained soldier in that era would be shooting 3-4 times per minute, actually. Otherwise I lol'd.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1bfgARmuGQ
*smokes cigarrette and falls asleep*

Ah fuck, the Trailer looks awesome, but the in game graphics look horrible -.-
Last edited by Stahlseele on Wed May 11, 2016 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Stahlseele wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1bfgARmuGQ
*smokes cigarrette and falls asleep*

Ah fuck, the Trailer looks awesome, but the in game graphics look horrible -.-
Loved the detailed gampley overview.

But seems to be missing something.

Ghandi Wars: Prepare to be nuked edition.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

The concubines part is a bit silly, since Ghandi apparently walked around with an anime harem. (All teenager girls, no sex, lots of groping and sleeping in suggestive poses.)
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Since Warlord Ghandi is basically the doujin version of real-life Ghandi, it makes perfect sense he would actually bang his harem instead of just engaging in relatively SFW situations.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

maglag wrote:Since Warlord Ghandi is basically the doujin version of real-life Ghandi, it makes perfect sense he would actually bang his harem instead of just engaging in relatively SFW situations.
Uh... My point was that Regular Ghandi was already a mega player who abused his rank to arrange for a sexual harem situation to be his constant companion, so Warlord Ghandi is not being appreciably different in anyway by having a Harem.

Let me be clear, Ghandi slept most nights naked next to at least one naked teenage girl. There was nothing SFW about his harem. Allegedly he did this to test his ability to resist temptation, which is already fucking terrible, since it's basically sexually assaulting girls to prove you aren't a rapist. But over and above that we have absolutely no reason to think he actually succeeded any specific amount of the time he attempted to resist temptation either.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu May 12, 2016 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Hmm, I guess the authors were more acuratte than they knew then. Or maybe that was a joke inside the joke. "Real World Ghandi may've not been a bloodthirsty warlord, but he still had his personal harem at beck and call so neither was exactly a paragon of innocence".
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu May 12, 2016 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Aand i have already broken Stellaris by adding 1.5 dozend mods from the steam workshop <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I have to say, while I had fun with Stellaris in 20 hours I played, the game is really damn raw right now. It's full of bugs. The tech trees are shot and unexciting, mostly being numberwang bonuses to your things. The balance is completely broken, with laser weapons and evasion reigning supreme. The faction system is rudimentary, the genetic modifications and terraforming are... there. It'll be a great game 20 DLCs later, I guess, but now it's just on the upper average.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

and it looks to me as if the AI cheats.
i have no other explanation how a small little race with 3 planets can afford to keep 2 fleets with 15k strength around while i am losing credits hand over fist with one 1k fleet on a dozend planets . .

And the Tech TREE is not so much a Tech Tree as it is a deck of card that gets shuffled again every time you chose one . . i hope there will be a mod that makes that bullshit into a proper tech tree . .
Last edited by Stahlseele on Sat May 14, 2016 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:and it looks to me as if the AI cheats.
i have no other explanation how a small little race with 3 planets can afford to keep 2 fleets with 15k strength around while i am losing credits hand over fist with one 1k fleet on a dozend planets . .
The upkeep is dramatically reduced when a fleet is docked at the spaceport, you are probably not doing that. I go from +5 credits to -90 when I send my fleets to war.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

you are right, i was sending my fleet out to deal with hostile aliens most of the time . . good to know . . still, two 15k str fleets is a bit much x.x
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Stahlseele wrote:you are right, i was sending my fleet out to deal with hostile aliens most of the time . . good to know . . still, two 15k str fleets is a bit much x.x
...Are you messing with a Fallen Empire? They are supposed to be like that, this is by design.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

no idea wether or not they are a fallen empire.
i am guessing i am just too dumb to really understand the game and play it correctly.
i have managed to go from about 5k+ and net income of +36 energon to go into -20 debt and down to 0 energon before i noticed as well.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Fallen empires are absolutely not to be fucked with lightly. If their FTL type is Jumpdrive and their government is Stagnant Ascendency, they're a Fallen Empire and they get enormous doom fleets with top-tier armor, shields, and energy weapons. If you declare war on them and lose or white peace, a commando team teleports in and murders your ruler for having the terminity to defy them. They can't build new ships, but in peacetime they autospawn fleets up to ~5K strength per planet.

Also, they've got four special personality types, and there's something that pisses each one of them off. One hates slavery and genocide, one wants you to keep well clear of their borders, one has arbitrarily designated some planets as sacred and not to be colonized, and one gets pissed off if you go down the research paths potentially leading to a Galactic Crisis.

The prizes for winning against them, though, kick ass. Their planetary buildings are outside the tech tree. One of them inhabits ringworlds, and has shattered wreckage of other ringworlds in their territory, and you get a unique tech added to your options if you survey it. Their debris can be scanned to give you an enormous tech jump, and if you're in a powerful federation/alliance and get everything lined up right you can potentially lure their fleets to destruction in your home system when you're tier 3-4.

As for upkeep, yeah, keep your ships in port and under the command of admirals. I tend to spend peacetime with my fleet mothballed over my capital under a logistics expert.
Last edited by name_here on Sat May 14, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

You can tell a fallen empire by means of going to the contacts tab and filtering for fallen empires.

There are other tell tale traits but the bit where they appear under fallen empires in contacts is a dead give away.

Then there is the advanced start thing, which I think is something else and not readily determined by filtering contacts.

And the UI in this game isn't terrible, but has some minor inconveniences (like certain things you do rather a lot, like building ships, being burried a few clicks deep when they don't need to be), and the major bullshit of SOME events that don't pause you and SOME "OK" or similar buttons that auto-unpause you. THAT pisses me off. And so far I haven't found a custom setting for pauses/unpauses on various events and actions.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

The Fallen Empires also have their descriptor written in orange in the Contacts tab.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, the UI is a bit shit. What mostly bugs me is a distinct lack of detailed information on other empires. The power comparisons in the diplomacy screen are so vague as to be basically useless and don't take industrial capacity into account at all. The tech comparison seems to be based on number of techs, which is completely meaningless in all ways and I fell behind on that by stealing the very best off of a Fallen Empire. It also doesn't tell you people's FTL method, which is kind of critical for knowing if you can force their entire fleet to hyperlane into a deathtrap by putting an FTL inhibitor station on one strategically-located system or if you need to prepare for them deploying wherever via wormhole.

The starport clicks I don't mind all that much, but what I do mind is that the handy outliner thing does not display systems in sectors. Which wouldn't be a big deal, except that you retain full control over every starport even in sectors and decide what ships and modules they produce. Or you completely forget about them and leave half your industrial capacity sitting unused while stacking up queues in the systems that the game reminds you exist.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Anyone remember project spark? One of the first titles for the Xbone that was super hyped about allowing you to easily create your own games? It started as a regular paid game.

Then it moved to freemium with microtransactions.

Then last year it became "please play this" completely free, plus the whole "You can now play xbone games on PC because microsoft knows the xbone sucks ass"

And just now Microsoft ran out of shits to give, starting to completely shut down the game. Like, you can't even download it anymore, and the online services will be fully ended until August.

Also, Infinite Warfare has broken the 2 million dislikes barrier, earning itself the place of 2nd most hated video in youtube. For the record, the nº1 position is held by a Justin Bieber video. For now.
Last edited by maglag on Sun May 15, 2016 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

My other major grievence with Stellaris is that the federation system and diplomacy in general feels rather half-baked. If you've got the right tech and are in an alliance with 4+ members, you can propose forming a federation and get it approved by unanimous vote. Federation members have full access to each other's space, don't pay the alliance influence cost, and don't get the border friction opinion penalty. Also, there's the federation fleet; the current federation president can design and build* federation fleet ships using all technology from any of the member nations, with control of those ships shifting when the presidency changes. This is a neat mechanic, except that it's bugged to hell and I don't think the AI understands it. It's possible to "upgrade" them to non-federation designs but there is basically no good reason to do this because said designs are almost invariably worse. It makes them become your ships rather than Federation ships, which is completely useless if you aren't planning to backstab your allies because it's actually impossible to go to war on your own unless you're the president and the AI seems to understand that it's generally best off assigning its fleets to follow the player's fleets. But it seems the AI will accidentally upgrade them or disband them, and also if you elect to use wormhole drives in the design they'll get stranded when control rotates.

Beyond that, the presidency system is insultingly simplistic given that this is literally in the same engine as CK II. It just rotates on a timer and the president has total authority over declaring war and negotiating ceasefires. Even though alliances require unanimous approval of declarations of war.

Lastly, the victory conditions are terrible for this. They require either obliterating/vassalizing everyone else (which is literally impossible in a Federation because your federation mates are not vassals) or controlling 40% of all colonizable planets (which is a pain in the ass).

*While it would make sense for other members to be able to build ships to join the fleet, that would be kind of stupidly broken.
Last edited by name_here on Sun May 15, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Witness the might of the Kotan Unity!