D&D 5e has failed

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

infected slut princess wrote:No, the biggest problem with 5e is worse than just being "bad" -- I mean, 2e AD&D was "bad" but it was still fun.

5e is just boring. It's not INTERESTING.

The characters can't do anything cool that you couldn't do in HERO QUEST.

The monsters are stupid and the high level monsters don't fire up your imagination or make you come up with campaign ideas just to utilize the cool monsters.

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The monsters are stupid and boring yes. But I'd fight you, if you tell me that DMF aren't more entertaining than any 2e, 3e or 3p came up with. The only d20 game with more enjoyable martials is Races of war and that went to far into high math rocket tag for me.

Really all I need is 3.5 with hit points bought in line with the rest of the math. Actually lower math all around. After a ten hour shift or resting on the weekends and play an rpg with friends I'd like to keep the adding and subtracting to a minimum.

And a preemptive fuck you for thinking I can't have that with D&D. 2e and before had smaller numbers and stronger fighters. They had a host and war party of other and bigger worst problems, but it had those to things.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

This is the first time I've seen anyone claim anything in 5e sas fun. Usually simpler is all.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Playing 5e last weekend, I realized exactly what niche it fills for me-

It's Descent with more options and the expectation of some level of roleplay. If someone wrote up a Descent style Book o' Dungeons, I'd fucking buy it.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

MGuy wrote:This is the first time I've seen anyone claim anything in 5e sas fun. Usually simpler is all.
After Pathfucker and its millions of dodads and subsystems anything can be fun.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

RedstoneOrc wrote:
MGuy wrote:This is the first time I've seen anyone claim anything in 5e sas fun. Usually simpler is all.
After Pathfucker and its millions of dodads and subsystems anything can be fun.
Including just playing PF with the doodads removed.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

RedStone Orc wrote:It helps to have a fuck off huge damning list to tell people why you won't play a system.
Well, your number 1 problem is that most of the rules are fake and what numbers there are leave no room for the player characters to be objectively good at anything should rules be written in the future. That can be subdivided as far as you want to go.

So rather than saying that "almost all rules are MTP" you can just write out a list of all the things you'd kind of want that are in fact totally nox-existent.
  • Stealth rules are fake.
  • Scouting rules are fake.
  • Tracking rules are fake.
  • Reaction rules are fake.
  • Diplomacy rules are fake.
  • Faction rules are fake.
  • Disguise rules are fake.
  • Morale rules are fake.
  • Research rules are fake.
  • Hiring mercenaries rules are fake.
  • Owning land rules are fake.
  • Commanding an army rules are fake.
  • Acquiring a non-standard mount rules are fake.
  • Buying high-end goods rules are fake.
  • High end crafting rules are fake.
  • High level traps rules are fake.
  • High level obstacle rules are fake.
And so on.

Yes, you can really encapsulate most of the problems with the system by the simple fact that you can't imagine or design rules for an obstacle that a 15th level Fighter could climb that you couldn't scale more reliably by sending up twenty peasants with rope around their waste and then sending the characters up one of the ropes once it's secured at the top. But that core mechanical issue is encountered again and again in every part of the story. If you buy into their "three pillars of adventure" crap, the basic failure of bounded accuracy and the total lack of content is a shit mine in every part and facet of both the pillars that aren't fighting monsters.

And fighting monsters is a giant boring hit point slog if you try to fight things yourself and an emasculating anti-climax if you remembered to bring a couple dozen low end mercenaries with bows.

-Username17
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

Man... Godwin's Law...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

zugschef wrote:Man... Godwin's Law...
Godwin's Law has been suspended for the remainder of the 2016 Presidential Campaign. After that it is up for review and may not be reinstated.

-Username17
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

FrankTrollman wrote:If you buy into their "three pillars of adventure" crap
That's the bit I really don't get.

He said RPGs should have exploration and combat and social rules, because they had that functioning in 1980 and it's not even hard.

Then he made some combat rules, and ... stopped.

The exploration rules are "have the player roll a d20 and then have it work, or not, whatever." There's not even real rules for starting encounters. I get 3e's rules were shit in a lot of ways, but the man played some older games, he knows what's possible.

The social rules don't even have
[*] morale: because your fucking archer horde could just run away when one of them gets killed, or they see any proper monsters at all.
[*] command: because your fucking skellington horde could spend a lot of time not doing anything at all, or at least eating all the party's actions.
[*] reactions: because most things might not like your undead at all, or your archer horde. Bonus for being in a group of 10 or less, sort of deal.

Let alone chains of command and loyalty and how often your lieutenant takes the money and runs, or the townsfolk didn't guard your wagon after all (or did, but took it home first), or the pet dragon notices you're a bit banged up and tries to eat you. Or having a pet dragon at all!

And then also that various monsters should still be functionally immune to things that aren't the PCs, so that motivated populations and NPCs really do need to ask for help from the players with their otherwise intractable problems.

Because Mike Mearls says the DM can just make all that shit up as they go, while also hot-fixing the combat system to make fights end at some point. And I guess if your DM does that for you then 5e feels like a real game after all.

/joke in local paper: pedants society notes Trump is really more of a Mussolini.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

RedStone Orc wrote:It helps to have a fuck off huge damning list to tell people why you won't play a system.
You know what, fuck it, let's go into detail. A lot of this is probably gonna be reiterating stuff I pointed out in my Angry Review of the 5e PHB, but I cannot overstate how much of a failure this game is because Mearls and co literally had 2 years of nothing else to do, and they came out with a book which is pretty much "lol we didn't do the jobs we were paid to do". But let's start.

Ok, seriously, what did you expect?

Look at the names on the game. We have Mike "Skill Challenge" Mearls as the head designer for this shit, so right away we know that any math is gonna be wrong (see: Frank's takedown of the stealth rules, bounded accuracy). Zak "rules can't be the same for everyone" S. We have the RPGPundit and the OSR crowd. Note the complete absence of anyone new who could have injected any innovative ideas into this game, and the puzzling decision to cater to the OSR - are kids who grew up with 3e and 4e going to enjoy random, bullshit inconsistent rules?

But ignoring the noted incompetence of the people who put their names on this, look at the playtests. Half the shit in the playtest didn't have rules. For 2 or 3 packets the skill rules were literally "The DM decides whether you succeeded or failed after the die roll." Bounded accuracy math was ripped apart and stayed largely the same. The big ideas were "not having rules" and...actually that's about it.

A Failure of Vision

Let's start this session with a little exercise. What are the biggest problems with 3e and 4e D&D?

Now turn around, how many problems have been fixed in 5e?

The answer is "none of them".

-Characters are still imbalanced, necromancer wizards > you thanks to the miracle of bounded accuracy. Being a spellcaster allows you to put out more DPS then a fighter, planar bind minions, and steal enemy abilities. Being a fighter means you get to stab them, or something. This is further exacerbated by the main mundane noncombat ability - skills - having no actual rules and thus leaving the mundanes with no predictable capabilities. Can the rogue climb a brick wall? I don't know. You don't know. Not because we're stupid, but because the answer quantumly changes based on whatever the hell the DM decides at the time. By contrast, the spellcasters can cast levitate and fly and ignore all walls forever.

-In a shocking twist of events, it is still possible to min-max the fuck out of the game, mostly by stacking bonuses until you explode bounded accuracy.

-Monsters are still have stupid amounts of hitpoints, so your 1/day fireball at fifth level will only do 1/3 the health of a CR 5 air elemental on average. Weirdly, Mearls called this out in a reddit AMA as something they'd taken care to fix, proving once again that he has no clue what the hell he's talking about.

-Spellcasters have armies of geased/planar bound/undead minions, teleports, divinations, simulacrums, save or dies, and transmutation that lets you steal monster abilities. There is no way the high level game doesn't turn into a clusterfuck. Weirdly, no one seems to be playing 5e at higher levels that I can discern.

These are all known problems. They've been known for 15+ years. I don't understand why you cannot get some actual people with math skills to hammer out some new and innovative solutions - even some new attempts that might not succeed - in the two years you have to fix this game.

Mearls and co threw their hands in the air, decided to shift the burden to the consumer, and charged that consumer $150.

They didn't even try...

Alright, Frank gave us a list of fake rules. I'm just gonna bring up a few that defenders of the system seem to always go back to. Let's go with the skill system.

Let's take a look at the social interaction pillar, shall we? Remember, this is one-third of the game. An entire "pillar of interaction".

The rules are
-The DM can call for an ability check. It doesn't have to be Charisma or even a social skill. It does, um, something. The takeaway is that you can argue for any skill check you want, and that might make people vaguely helpful.

Or you could just cast a damn spell and be guaranteed the most favorable result.

-Magical Tea Party this shit!

You will notice that none of the above is worth paying money for.

This is a theme that recurs throughout the rules. The background abilities literally do nothing and are full of ways the DM can arbitrarily negate it, yet waste an entire chapter of the book. No one can figure out what the stealth rules do, because they are contradictory and spread across several chapters.

...but when they tried it was bad.

There are no good mechanics in 5e that are unique to 5e, but all the rules they do lay out are a puzzling storm of bad. Take the concentration system. This is a pathfinder-esque spell nerf of letting the caster maintain one "concentration" duration spell at a time, the idea being that wizards no longer can stack buffs, have 5 summons out, etc.

Naturally, they fucked this up by marking only specific spells with the concentration descriptor. Animate dead and Create Undead don't have it, but they give you enough minions to laugh at bounded accuracy. Magic jar doesn't have it, and you can use it to get weapon immunity by possessing a werewolf. Contagion doesn't have it, and it stunlocks bad guys forever while they get shot by skeletons. Finger of Death adds one peasant to your zombie army every day for no cost whatsoever, so you can take a year off or something stupid and have a massive gamebreaking army. Geas gets you permanent minions. The only change this makes to the system is that you have no incentive to use the legacy spells like flesh to stone or web because they ate a stupid nerf under this system, but wizards still own because they have clearly defined yet poorly thought out rules. Much like every other edition of D&D.

Or take multiclassing, which is a rather intriguing combination of failure. Between bizarre caster level mechanics, the fact that every class needs to spell out which class features a multiclass inherits (and call out exceptional class features which don't stack)...the system is a poorly thought out mess. It's even labeled "optional" which in D&D developer land usually means poorly thought out bullshit, like gestalt rules or 2e wild talents.

There's more to say on this topic - ripping off Pathfinder, cargo cult game design - but I think I've made my point.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Bonus failure: The concentration system makes Cloud and Underwater adventures basically impossible.

Let's say you want to go adventure in the clouds, the Wizard casts fly on everyone. Oh wait, no he doesn't, because he can concentrate on one spell. Well, the Wizard casts Mass Fly on everyone, then he gets hit one time, and suddenly the entire party plummets to earth and dies.

The Cleric casts Water Breathing on everyone. Then an octopus hits him one time, and then the entire party drowns.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

This sounds really, really bad... I've been look ing at the free basic rules, but only for like 5 minutes. But please continue to point out specific failures like the concentration/spellcasting stuff, because that shit really changes how you interact with the adventure. Man...
Last edited by Antariuk on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
shlominus
Journeyman

Post by shlominus »

water breathing is not a concentration spell.

a spellcaster losing control of a flight spell and everyone plummeting to death sounds right to me though. i don't see why magic flying shouldn't be dangerous. if you want to advanture in the clouds you'd better find another way to stay up there. a 10 minute concentration spell is only useful for getting from a to b.

plenty of good examples for 5e crap, no need to make any up.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

shlominus wrote:a spellcaster losing control of a flight spell and everyone plummeting to death sounds right to me though. i don't see why magic flying shouldn't be dangerous. if you want to advanture in the clouds you'd better find another way to stay up there. a 10 minute concentration spell is only useful for getting from a to b.

Yeah Kaelik, if shit covered farmers can't do it, why should adventurers be able to adventure in the clouds?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

shlominus wrote:water breathing is not a concentration spell.

a spellcaster losing control of a flight spell and everyone plummeting to death sounds right to me though. i don't see why magic flying shouldn't be dangerous. if you want to advanture in the clouds you'd better find another way to stay up there. a 10 minute concentration spell is only useful for getting from a to b.

Actually, what you point out also counters some of the previous "crap".

"Why don't you send 80 normal dudes to the palace of the water dragon instead of 4 PCs?"
-Because the cleric can only throw so many water breathings. Sending 80 dudes means 76 drowned corpses.

Bringing a lot of dudes is only a good plan when you actually have the resources and space to carry around a lot of dudes. That's why the big bads hang out in dungeons with complicated entrance systems instead of walzting around in the open broad daylight.

Yes, dumb monsters who just stand in the fields drooling like they were MMO mobs deserve to be slain by peasant arrows.
Last edited by maglag on Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

maglag wrote:Bringing a lot of dudes is only a good plan when you actually have the resources and space to carry around a lot of dudes. That's why the big bads hang out in dungeons with complicated entrance systems instead of walzting around in the open broad daylight.

Yes, dumb monsters who just stand in the fields drooling like they were MMO mobs deserve to be slain by peasant arrows.
If you can only overcome peasant archers by staying home, you aren't a very threatening big bad.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
maglag wrote:Bringing a lot of dudes is only a good plan when you actually have the resources and space to carry around a lot of dudes. That's why the big bads hang out in dungeons with complicated entrance systems instead of walzting around in the open broad daylight.

If you can only overcome peasant archers by staying home, you aren't a very threatening big bad.
Sauron made quite a lot of people in Middle Earth shit their pants despite spending three books at his base while sending out minions.

And the reason he stays at home, is precisely because that one time his opponents brought an huge army of archers and assorted pointy stuff, Sauron got his shit wrecked when he went out personally. He could on average take out any of them one on one, but then a few lucky hits from some lowly humies and Sauron went down.

After which the humie who defeated Sauron gets gibbed by remant orc archers.

Even Gandalf "I fight Balrogs in melee and win" will run the hell away from hordes of goblin archers.

Boromir also didn't deal with arrows very well.

The prequel was basically "how the dragon who conquered a dwarf stronghold got taken out by peasant arrows as soon as he poked his nose out".

If there was to be a big bad that can just waltz into the open immune to archer armies, then it would be a world very different from any fantasy worlds we know and love. It would be a world devoid of any kind of civilizations in the open for starters. The heroes will never receive a request to help deal with the big bad, because the big bad will already have razed down the city and murderized the helpless peasants.

EDIT:Heck, I even recall Frank talking about how Beholders haven't reduced the surface to wasteland because peasants with ponies and longbows can kite them all day long.
Last edited by maglag on Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

It seems like you're taking a very selective view of how things panned out in Tolkien's work, to mischaracterize it that way.
Last edited by virgil on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

That's kind of maglag's schtick.
infected slut princess
Knight-Baron

Post by infected slut princess »

5e is worse than Trump and Killary COMBINED.
Oh, then you are an idiot. Because infected slut princess has never posted anything worth reading at any time.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Maglag, you do realize the only reason Smaug was vulnerable to Bard the Bowman and his magic arrow was that he had a huge patch of armor missing right?

An uninjured dragon would have completely destroyed an army of peasant archers.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

virgil wrote:It seems like you're taking a very selective view of how things panned out in Tolkien's work, to characterize it that way.
Indeed. Smaug's backstory involves him slaughtering an entire mountain of dwarves and burning an incidental human town in the process. He was only defeated by a luminary using a legacy weapon. This is a common pattern for Tolkien dragons, who sweep aside armies like so much dust but are forced to retreat or are killed when they encounter somebody tough with magic assistance. Glaurung (the first dragon) was killed by Turin wielding a magic sword. Ancalagon (the strongest of the winged dragons) was killed by a half-elf who had a flying ship and a Silmaril. A few big bads aren't defeated by named good guys - Saruman gets gibbed by Wormtongue, Sauron was once killed by divine flood, it is unknown who exactly confronted Morgoth at the end of the War of Wrath, and Ungoliant might or might not have eaten herself - but they are exceptions.

It is true that named good guys are more fragile than their evil counterparts though. When a protagonist dies to generic archers it is tragic, when an antagonist does the same it is an anticlimax.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

I played a game called Dragon Tavern once whose combat system was abstract enough that they had lone heroes, giant monsters, and commanders of small armies all using identical mechanics. Those three options specifically were an RPS system built into the character classes, where a lone hero beats the monster, a monster beats the army, and the army beats the lone hero. Middle-Earth seems to work on the same logic. I'm honestly not sure how you'd actually model that without handing out arbitrary bonuses to attack/damage/AC if you happen to have one tag and be confronting an enemy with the other.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

As far as the vulnerability of powerful monsters (and high level persons generally) to hordes of people mas firing at them, I think its appropriate to strike a balance. Big time baddies need to be powerful and capable of carving through hordes but not invincible.

So a dragon, for example, should be able to laugh in the face of a hundred soldiers and fight a thousand straight up, but worry seriously about trying to take on ten thousand. Calling on adventurers should be highly preferably, far cheaper, and far less casualty inducing to the local kind than summoning up a massive army, but massive armies should still be a thing with actual utility.

There's nothing that suggests 5e strikes this balance though. It seems to give the peasant hordes far too much power.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

Chamomile wrote:I played a game called Dragon Tavern once whose combat system was abstract enough that they had lone heroes, giant monsters, and commanders of small armies all using identical mechanics. Those three options specifically were an RPS system built into the character classes, where a lone hero beats the monster, a monster beats the army, and the army beats the lone hero. Middle-Earth seems to work on the same logic. I'm honestly not sure how you'd actually model that without handing out arbitrary bonuses to attack/damage/AC if you happen to have one tag and be confronting an enemy with the other.
Age of Mythology does the same thing. I like the the setting implications that paradigm engenders, but I have not quite decided what the best way to implement it in an RPG would be.
Last edited by Blicero on Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.