[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Longes wrote:
Hurr durr, this is factually wrong. Fedorov claimed that protests were organised by the US agents, not that Platon was made by the US agents.
Nope he did actually said exactly that. The National Liberationist Front has several crazy beliefs, including:
- the Russian Constitution is written by The West,
- the President doesn't belong to any of the three branches of power and therefore has no power whatsoever,
- all three branches are composed exclusively of traitors and pawns of The West,
- the fact that none of the presidential promises are being kept is sabotage on part of the traitors: "Putin says no additional taxes, taxes are introduced; he says keep the retirement age, they increase it; he says keep the rates low, rates are increased, he says don't bother business for the next four years but they do. Putin can't do anything but advise and sign whatever the legislature produces, it's not his fault that they don't listen."

Concerning specifically trucker protests, of course the law is an act of sabotage committed by Obama's cronies in the government, who then passed the torch to Navalny*'s goons.

*libertarian opposition
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Starmaker wrote:
Longes wrote:
Hurr durr, this is factually wrong. Fedorov claimed that protests were organised by the US agents, not that Platon was made by the US agents.
Nope he did actually said exactly that. The National Liberationist Front has several crazy beliefs, including:
- the Russian Constitution is written by The West,
- the President doesn't belong to any of the three branches of power and therefore has no power whatsoever,
- all three branches are composed exclusively of traitors and pawns of The West,
- the fact that none of the presidential promises are being kept is sabotage on part of the traitors: "Putin says no additional taxes, taxes are introduced; he says keep the retirement age, they increase it; he says keep the rates low, rates are increased, he says don't bother business for the next four years but they do. Putin can't do anything but advise and sign whatever the legislature produces, it's not his fault that they don't listen."

Concerning specifically trucker protests, of course the law is an act of sabotage committed by Obama's cronies in the government, who then passed the torch to Navalny*'s goons.

*libertarian opposition
I mean, I can probably seriously consider the first one, because lol Yeltsin. But the rest of this is pure wtf.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Are we talking about a Russian version of Ben Carson here?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Are we talking about a Russian version of Ben Carson here?
Not really. Ben Carson is (1) a presidential candidate with name recognition and some actual support and (2) a religious nut. Fyodorov is a United Russia MP (voted in with the party, no political support of his own) who has declared neither any personal political aspirations nor characteristically religious kooky beliefs.
Fun fact: he voted for the trucker tax three out of three times.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Which is the bit where Turkey is heavily sponsoring some of the rebels in Syria who fight with ISIS because they're totally Turks and those guys rock, and bombing rebels who fight ISIS because they're totally Kurds and those guys suck.

But Russia is heavily supporting the government of Syria, which means bombing the Turkish-flavoured rebels, so Turkey found some lame excuse to shoot down an Su-24 over territory held by their pet rebels in Syria, who then proceeded to shoot one of the pilots while he was on his way down in the parachute.

All of NATO fully supports Turkish bla bla bla because NATO. So Russia can't really do shit all about it, but they'll pull whatever economic levers they have pretty hard, and probably feel just a little bit more free about shooting down whatever other country's fighter jets they feel like, because that's the way it worked last time.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Korwin wrote:If I understand OS correctly, he is saying Canada lets only highly educated immigrants into the Country and it's unimportant for him how many those are...

From the outside, it looks like you two are talking about slighty different things.
Ah, an intelligent response. How refreshing, for the Internet!

Canada ruthlessly hunts down and forcibly evicts 'immigrants' who try to remain in the country illegally. Why they would do this, when it's so very obvious that letting lots of people who aren't carefully selected can only benefit a country, is one of those eternal and undying mysteries.

If you've let SJWbabble reduce your effective IQ to zero, that is.
sandmann
Apprentice

Post by sandmann »

Occluded Sun wrote:
Korwin wrote:If I understand OS correctly, he is saying Canada lets only highly educated immigrants into the Country and it's unimportant for him how many those are...

From the outside, it looks like you two are talking about slighty different things.
Ah, an intelligent response. How refreshing, for the Internet!

Canada ruthlessly hunts down and forcibly evicts 'immigrants' who try to remain in the country illegally. Why they would do this, when it's so very obvious that letting lots of people who aren't carefully selected can only benefit a country, is one of those eternal and undying mysteries.

If you've let SJWbabble reduce your effective IQ to zero, that is.
Several things come to mind. First, the rather obvious question why people are "ruthlessly hunted" whos criminal energy is rather low. Immigrants don't rape or murder anyone, and showing up at your place uninvited earns me a seat in a police car and a slap on the checkbook at best. So while I understand the legal argument, it is noteworthy how aggressive western countries react to something as historically normal as immigration.
Second, selection programs for immigrants always raise the question why you should only screen people from the outside for "usefulness". Apparently Canada is ok with you being a useless bum for all your life, as long as you start your life IN Canada. And if you start selecting your population for "usefulness", that leads to very problematic questions very fast.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Occluded Sun wrote:If you've let SJWbabble reduce your effective IQ to zero, that is.
At the SD=15 curve of the typical WISC, we won't actually be getting anybody with an IQ of zero for another sixty nine billion people.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

sandmann, OS is full of shit and racist and bla bla bla. Canada has the same thing everyone has, where if you sign a thing to be in a place for no more than six months and then don't leave after six months, they tell you to leave.

Unless you got married, or got a good job your employer needs you for, or got really sick, or it would be dangerous for you to send you home, or you just ask to stay a bit longer before your time is up and they agree that would be OK like they normally do, and you can always appeal and shit.

There are of course limits on immigration because you have to supply potable water for everyone and 2 million people turning up on a Tuesday can stretch that a bit. But most countries like to have positive immigration because you're basically stealing from whichever country they leave, with all the education and healthcare that got them to adulthood and whatnot.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Demonstrators throw eggs at Dutch consulate in protest meant to be against Russia
A group of nationalist demonstrators gathered in İstanbul in front of the Russian Consulate on Friday night to protest against Russia for its involvement in a military offensive that Turkey says targeted Turkmen civilians in northern Syria.

The protesters, however, confused the buildings of the Russian and Dutch Consulates, and ending up throwing eggs at the Dutch consulate instead of the Russian.
This is not the first time nationalist demonstrations in Turkey confused their targets. In July, demonstrators attacked a Chinese restaurant, whose owner turned out to be a Turk and chef an Uighur, during a protest against China's treatment of its minority Muslim Uighur community.
In another incident, a group of nationalists tried to attack Korean tourists they mistook for Chinese nationals during a march in İstanbul.
Devlet Bahçeli, leader of the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP), to which the Idealist Hearths is linked, defended the protesters' “mistake,” saying it was hard to distinguish a Korean from a Chinese as both have “slanted eyes.”
Last edited by Longes on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

What do Koreans and/or Chinese have to do with Russians and/or Dutch?
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Apparently the protesters are a nativist group that regularly confuses various types of foreigner for various other types of foreigner.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:What do Koreans and/or Chinese have to do with Russians and/or Dutch?
I'm an idiot and didn't quote the paragraphs providing context. Read the edit or full article
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

If you aren't beating up a Sikh in revenge for 9/11, you're doing racism wrong. Racist nativism is a stupid, in addition to violent ideology. Striking out at the "wrong" people is part of the point.

-Username17
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Striking out at the "wrong" people is part of the point.
QFT. I had the "racism is stupid" thing in my head, but of course demanding things of person X because of what entirely unrelated person Y did is indeed rather key to it all.

Probably gets back to that whole "they all look alike to me" part of the brain, where there are 150+ representations for your tribe in your brain, and 2 for theirs. Where the local tribe's criminal on TV is just that one guy and the foreign tribe's criminal on TV is all of those guys forever after.

Until you think about it at all, or just run with it as the case may be.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

In news relevant to me specifically:
The citizens of Hamburg, Germany, have voted to not allow the politicians to try and get Olympia to Hamburg.
It was fucking close with 51,78% against 48,22% in favour of havin olympia here.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

By Olympia, do you mean the Olympics?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Yes, those.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Political opponents are under house arrest.
Looks like I'm now living in a police state.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Well I wondered, when I heard that the state of emergency was extended to 3 months...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Yeah, France just decided to use their state of emergency powers to raid the homes of a couple dozen key organizers of climate change protests (and some lawyers they'd consulted for legal advice/representation), seize a bunch of computers and whatever other bullshit they wanted, and then hit them with house arrest and restraining orders on the basis that they were ultra-left radicals and might be conspiring to commit acts of violence at the Paris climate summit. Given that it's house arrest and not actual arrest, the answer to whether or not they found any real evidence of a conspiracy to commit acts of violence is obviously "no." But why let that stop them? So yes, now the French government is arresting key members of protest movements they consider inconvenient, and also making a very credible threat to harass the fuck out of any lawyers who might otherwise assist them. That's new and exciting.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

New and bloody frightening, more like. I knew there were lots of reactionaries in France but I didn't think they were this influential, even after Paris (and I hate that people can't keep a cool head and spare me from having to use phrases like "even after Paris").
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

This will certainly encourage people not to commit acts of violence in France. Knowing that protest and "generally being against something" gets you the same treatment as actual criminals is definitely going to turn people away from the use of explosives and machine guns to get their point across.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

tussock wrote:sandmann, OS is full of shit and racist and bla bla bla. Canada has the same thing everyone has, where if you sign a thing to be in a place for no more than six months and then don't leave after six months, they tell you to leave.
And if you entered illegally to begin with, say by crossing the border as a visitor but overstay or sneak across?