Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You'd need levels of Alchemist though, so you can throw bombs at everything.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

So, I'm aware that I'm gonna speak some blasphemy here, but can a blaster wizard or arcanist be made decent-to-good? When I say blaster, I mean able to throw out some nuking direct damage spells, but since it's wizard and/or arcanist, they can still pull out the utility and awesomeness spells as well. I know there's several feats that let you pump caster level (and therefore damage) past what your character level is, and Dazing Spell and Intensify Spell will help. Also, alchemical power components to add minor effects to spells like some additional burning to fire spells, or acidic grease, etc.

Is there more that can make blasting in pathfinder only work decently, or do I pretty much have it down?
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

There's gotta be an archetype or something.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Lago, where the fuck did I say the Cleric was a reduced functionality wizard? Please, point it out to me.

The man was asking why to use a Wizard/Arcanist, I gave him an answer. The Wizard has a good chunk of the old standbys as well as shit like Blood Money and the pit spells at low level. Most of the Divination school is theirs to claim too. The Arcanist has the archetype that makes summons a standard. The wizard/sorcerer list is fucking massive and it's chock full of utilities and Save or Suck/Save or Dies. They also get more enchantments, given the fucking Enchantment school is theirs.

Archmage: there's always one-dropping Crossblood Orc/Fire bloodline Sorcerer for some extra damage. Spellslinger normally sucks, but you can get your gun's enhancement bonus to damage on blasts.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Mask De H wrote:Lago, where the fuck did I say the Cleric was a reduced functionality wizard? Please, point it out to me.
You didn't; I misread your post. Sorry about that.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I am also not clear on why you think my question about why you want to trade cleric class features for wizard spells constitutes thinking cleric casting is exactly like wizard casting but worse.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

name_here wrote:I am also not clear on why you think my question about why you want to trade cleric class features for wizard spells constitutes thinking cleric casting is exactly like wizard casting but worse.
Because that's usually how things like that work. For example, all of the monk bonus feats don't really add up to the various charms and compulsions a bard can cast -- but if someone printed an archetype that let monks trade out their FoB and bonus feats for level-appropriate spell-likes, it'd immediately raise the question as to why you're playing a monk instead of a bard even if the charm-monk is stronger than the plain-monk.

The caster-cleric operates under a different calculus than most swaps. The kind of trades should be viewed in terms of expected utility because it's not an issue of 'why don't you just play a wizard instead'? I apologize if I was putting words in your mouth, but I've gotten that question pretty often in meatspace.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

So Lago, what are the strengths of the caster cleric then, what do they do better than the wizard or arcanist? I've seen previous posts of yours, but the caster focused ones seemed mostly enchantment effects like (Murderous) Command and minionmancy.
Axebird
Master

Post by Axebird »

Blaster wizards can pump out some solid damage. The building blocks:

Traits
Metamagic Master (OGL version of Wayang Spellhunter) & Magical Lineage - Both reduce the total metamagic cost of metamagic on one spell chosen at chargen by 1.

Spell School
Evocation (Admixture subschool) - Lets you swap your energy types on spells a ton of times per day.

Your Spell of Choice
Fireball - Yeah. Normally underwhelming. But you can convert it into some solid damage with a good combination of feats, and some good save or suck with Dazing Spell. Plus it's 3rd level, which is the sweet spot where it's still a legal choice for Metamagic Master, decently powerful, and has lots of room for metamagic.

Important Feats
Spell Focus (Evocation) - A prerequisite. The +1 DC is minor but doesn't hurt.
Spell Specialization - +2 CL with one spell. Gives you most of your damage output at low levels (3d6+1 shocking grasps or 3d4+1 burning hands). Granted, your blasting is going to be supremely lame until 5th level due to a combination of underwhelming damage and bad range, so you might just want to use the evocation spell you have to prepare for one until then and the rest of 'em on good low level staples like color spray, sleep, and grease.
Mage's Tattoo (Evocation) - +1 CL with one school of magic. Optional, but kinda nice to have.
Empower Spell - +50% damage output on your fireball for 2 spell levels, which for you is free.

Higher Level Feats
Intensify Spell - Keeps your fireballs scaling when your CL beats the damage dice cap.
Spell Penetration - If you're having trouble with SR- though you're probably way better off just getting a lesser piercing spell rod.
Heighten Spell - As a prerequisite for...
Preferred Spell - Lets you sacrifice a slot or prepared spell to cast your fireball with whatever metamagic you like, and you don't eat an increased casting time like spontaneous casters. Just prepare all the utility, control, buffing, whatever spells you want, or just leave slots open for when you've got time to prep. You never have to prepare fireball again. "Metamagic you like" includes heightening your fireball as a fuck you to people using globe of invulnerability if you don't feel like dispelling it or letting the BSF kill them.
Dazing Spell - Because of course. Daze people for 3 rounds on a failed reflex save.
Spell Perfection - Lets you add any one metamagic feat to your perfected spell, and doubles the impact of feats on the spell (like Spell Focus, Spell Penetration, Spell Specialization, Mage's Tattoo). I don't have to explain why this is really good.

Some benchmarks:

5th Level
Intelligence: Int 22 (+1 stat bump, +2 item)
Feats: Scribe Scroll (Bonus), Spell Focus, Mage's Tattoo, Spell Specialization (fireball), Empower Spell (Bonus)
Versatility: Versatile Evocation 9/day (+2 if using Elf favored class bonus)
Primary Blasting Tools: empowered fireball (3rd level slot); deals 8d6*1.5+2 (average 44) DC 20 Reflex, +10 vs SR
Maximum Blasts/day (when fully invested in blasting): 3, or 4 with Bonded Oject

8th Level
Intelligence: Int 24 (+2 stat bump, +3 item)
Feats: Scribe Scroll (Bonus), Spell Focus, Mage's Tattoo, Spell Specialization (fireball), Empower Spell (Bonus), Intensify Spell
Versatility: Versatile Evocation 10/day (+4 if using Elf favored class bonus)
Primary Blasting Tools: empowered fireball (3rd level slot); deals 10d6*1.5+4 (average 56) DC 21 Reflex, +13 vs SR
intensified empowered fireball (4th level slot); deals 11d6*1.5+4 (average 61.75) DC 21 Reflex, +13 vs SR
Maximum Blasts/day: 9 (5 empowered fireballs, 4 intensified empowered fireballs), or 10 with Bonded Object

11th Level
Intelligence: Int 30 (+2 stat bump, +5 Inherent via planar binding or candle of invocation, +4 item)
Feats: Scribe Scroll (Bonus), Spell Focus, Mage's Tattoo, Spell Specialization (fireball), Empower Spell (Bonus), Intensify Spell, Spell Penetration, Dazing Spell (bonus), Greater Spell Focus
Versatility: Versatile Evocation 13/day (+5 if using Elf favored class bonus)
Primary Blasting Tools: intensified empowered fireball (4th level slot); deals 14d6*1.5+5 (average 78.5) DC 25 Reflex, +18 vs SR
intensified dazing fireball (5th level slot); deals 14d6+5 (average 54) DC 25 Reflex vs 3 rounds of dazing, +18 vs SR
Maximum Blasts/day: 9 (5 intensified empowered fireballs, 4 intensified dazing fireballs), or 10 with Bonded Object
Additionally, 6 3rd level slots available for minor blasts (54 average damage) and 5 5th level slots if there's nothing better to do with them

15th Level
Involves a lot of stuff to present, and it's getting late and I'm pretty tired. You have decent options due to Spell Perfection, and since your spells are still 3rd level lesser rods (such as Maximize) are on the table for amplifying them still. Single target numbers aren't that impressive (though still respectable), but area damage stays effective. Your strongest fireball (with a lesser maximize rod) looks like this:
Intensified empowered maximized quickened fireball (4th level slot); deals 90+(15d6*.5)+7 (average 123.25 damage) DC 28, +27 vs SR [+15 base, +4 Specialization, +2 Mage's Tattoo, +4 Spell Penetration & Greater, +2 Elf] as a swift action.
You can cast it without Quicken without using any rod charges, putting your average output when nova-ing at 246.5 before save reductions, with a very healthy save DC and lots of ammunition. Doesn't scale up a whole lot after this, but you do get more ammo. Without using any rod charges whatsoever, you can deal a respectable 209 damage reliably.

Being a blast wizard can be pretty fun. It's not fantastic (hp damage yo), but just hurling energy-type-death at people is entertaining.
Last edited by Axebird on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
[*]Warpriest: Probably the most useful of the 2/3rds classes. The archetypes have some really good class features and they probably deal the most melee damage out of any class that doesn't have a pet or summons -- though they can get those, too. If you studiously min-max, get a secret DM pity item, and are okay with not really doing anything but mega-damage you can limp towards the level 20 finish line. This is done by picking up a blessing that hands out Summon Monster X and finding a way to quicken that shit while praying for 15-minute workdays.
[/list]
Your mandatory level 10 upgrade feat does just that, no problems or strings attached.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

How does one max out the mojo of a warpriest, anyhow?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Axebird wrote:You have decent options due to Spell Perfection, and since your spells are still 3rd level lesser rods (such as Maximize) are on the table for amplifying them still. Single target numbers aren't that impressive (though still respectable), but area damage stays effective. Your strongest fireball (with a lesser maximize rod) looks like this:
Intensified empowered maximized quickened fireball (4th level slot);
That is not how metamagic rods work in pathfinder.
[url=http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9r9w wrote:phb faq[/url]]The spell counts as the level of the spell slot necessary to cast it.

For example, an empowered burning hands uses a 3rd-level spell slot, counts as a 3rd-level spell for making concentration checks, counts as a 3rd-level spell for a magus's spell recall or a pearl of power.

In general, use the (normal, lower) spell level or the (higher) spell slot level, whichever is more of a disadvantage for the caster. The advantages of the metamagic feat are spelled out in the Benefits section of the feat, and the increased spell slot level is a disadvantage.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

If you have Spell Perfection, and like spamming a particular spell, Echoing Spell lets you cast your spell perfection spell an additional time on the same day for free (though the 1st casting would already be using the Echoing Spell metamagic, so it would only be a normal spell unless you use a higher slot). As far as I can tell, you can use metamagic on the second casting just fine so you could even cast an echoed spell as a standard action, and then quicken it to cast it again in the same round without burning an additional spell slot.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Prior to Dazing Spell, Blockbuster Wizards and Sorcerers did 100 damage or so a round. Afterwards, they have the ability to dump mid 20s DC three round daze spells in a 20 foot radius spread, which absolutely !@#$ing insane.

Daze doesn't hit AC the way Stunned does, but almost nothing is immune to Dazing and it is hard to get Daze immunity. Being "stunned" for spell level rounds is CRAZY. It should let any halfway competent group shred just about any foe in a round or 2, even if it is dealing HP damage.

Dazing Spell is an absolutely crazy ass metamagic feat and with all the trait, class, archetype and feat support to lower metamagic costs it gets even crazier when applied to fireballs and the like.

One way to exploit it is to find a way to add 1 force damage to spells (i believe a trait does it) so technically even non-damaging spells "damage" your foes, regardless of resistances, almost every time, and daze them for 2 to 6 rounds or so.

The feat is nuts. It is like, Exhibit A in the case of Magic is Stronger in Pathfinder.
Last edited by Insomniac on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

So, what are the strengths of the Cleric list, and the Druid list?
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, Dazing Spell is so over the top that it's hard to put into words. I mean, just used "normally" it means that at 9th level you get to force an opponent to make a save versus losing 2 rounds every round for the next nine rounds. Which is just game over for a single 5th level spell slot. But of course, you can take traits that reduce the metamagic cost and stack. So you could very plausibly just throw around fireballs that daze for three fucking rounds (also known as: the entire combat) at character level 7. And that's without getting into weird equipment or class packages.

Pathfinder is caster edition. And anyone who says that Pathfinder casters aren't massively improved over their 3.5 counterparts simply doesn't know what they are talking about.

-Username17
Last edited by Username17 on Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Is there any way to get around the true seeing bullshit for illusionist wizards? There are quite a number of ways to get that effect -- not to mention monsters who just plain have it for free. True seeing isn't frequent enough to render illusion specialization useless, but it is still extremely annoying how it can just asymmetrically and completely shut down most of the spell list.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Pattern and Shadow illusions, or non-visual ones. True Seeing lets you automatically disbelieve any illusion you see. So pick illusions where you don't care if they disbelieve it, or illusions where there's no visual component.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

If you even could, you would just have the Superior Invisibility problem all the time but worse. If True Seeing doesn't beat illusions, then illusions beat fuck all everything. You would have to be the kind of unimaginative dumbass who thinks fireball is interesting to not be able to figure out some way to make illusions fuck literally everyone in the ass.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

How would one make a good illusionist in pathfinder without being a gnome? Particularly, would it be better to go for a wizard or an arcanist, why does the Shadow Gambit feat on the d20pfsrd seem so lackluster, and are there any other special feats of note for an illusionist?
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Kaelik wrote:If you even could, you would just have the Superior Invisibility problem all the time but worse. If True Seeing doesn't beat illusions, then illusions beat fuck all everything. You would have to be the kind of unimaginative dumbass who thinks fireball is interesting to not be able to figure out some way to make illusions fuck literally everyone in the ass.
"Since when were you under the impression that I had cast a second spell this month?"
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Kaelik wrote:If you even could, you would just have the Superior Invisibility problem all the time but worse. If True Seeing doesn't beat illusions, then illusions beat fuck all everything. You would have to be the kind of unimaginative dumbass who thinks fireball is interesting to not be able to figure out some way to make illusions fuck literally everyone in the ass.
"Since when were you under the impression that I had cast a second spell this month?"
That sentence sense make pineapple.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
erik
King

Post by erik »

There, that clears it all up.

(Radiant was trying to use an Aizen meme, but his made about as much sense as the one I found)

[edit:]
-nevermind or rather, Aizen meme is appropriate when discussing someone using illusions to be a grand-master villain, but that sentence... ugh, that sentence.
Last edited by erik on Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Kaelik wrote:
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
That sentence sense make pineapple.
Well, these spells have "duration: Concentration", so you just need to play a race that doesn't need to sleep, or do anything that would break concentration, and...

Wait, can you move the cubes? I think the answer is "no", but...
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Wait, can you move the cubes? I think the answer is "no", but...
That is one of those who the fuck knows, Illusion rules are fucking useless things.

I think if you dig hard into RAW the answer is yes, but I don't care enough to look.