Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Bane + Judgment. You can really back that ass up with Litany of Righteousness, too, but a lot of DMs flip their lids over that so W/E. You can also abuse teamwork shenanigans for a boatload of extra attacks. And I'm sure that there's some stupid Inquisitor archetype that boosts the damage even further.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Sacred Huntsman sacrifices Judgement for Hunter's animal companion shenanigans, then you can pick animal domain to pretty much double your animal companion progression (since sacred huntsman's pet is lifted from hunter, and hunter's says that pet progression sources stack with it), is it worthwhile? Like, at level 8 or so with Boon Companion you would have a level 20 pet, and if you could extrapolate it further you could be running around with a supermount.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

On the topic of Alchemist, what tends to be the best way to approach it for most games/situations? A bomb chucker that novas for force damage or battlefield control bombs, or the Jekyll/Hyde approach of buffing up with extracts/mutagens and wrecking in melee?
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Archmage: probably novabomber. You can then just save all your notspells for defensive stuff and "utility", without spending a single one on attacking people.
Dean wrote:Clearly the best name for it would be Potent Potables.
But nobody ever chooses that. Besides, Potent suggests it's be Empowered, Extended or Maximised, rather than (effectively) Quickened. You'd then have to include "Point to Your Own Head", "Current US Presidents", "An Album Cover" and "Automatic Points".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Archmage: there are two ways to do it, like there were two ways to play a Rogue: the Flasked Avenger and the Blender. The Flasked Avenger gets Force Bombs, Fast Bombs, Vestigial Arm + Multiattack and blows people up. The Blender goes Beastmorph Vivisectionist and Mutagens up for a claw/claw/bite (later plus tentacle) routine that you can add Sneak Attack damage to. At 10th you get Pounce, which is nice.

Either way, you're using your spells for weird utility and buffing.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Nice Alchemist trick: Poisoner's Gloves + Skinsend or Polypurpose Panacea. No-save, just lose touch attack.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Sacred Huntsman sacrifices Judgement for Hunter's animal companion shenanigans, then you can pick animal domain to pretty much double your animal companion progression (since sacred huntsman's pet is lifted from hunter, and hunter's says that pet progression sources stack with it), is it worthwhile? Like, at level 8 or so with Boon Companion you would have a level 20 pet, and if you could extrapolate it further you could be running around with a supermount.
A 16 HD Big Cat, Size Large, with 30 Strength, 22 Dexterity, Improved Invasion, 8 additional feats, something in the neighborhood of 30 AC before barding, buffing and magical equipment and the like seems pretty bonkers at level 8. There is another feat that would give you an additional one, also at Level 20.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Koumei wrote:But nobody ever chooses that. Besides, Potent suggests it's be Empowered, Extended or Maximised, rather than (effectively) Quickened. You'd then have to include "Point to Your Own Head", "Current US Presidents", "An Album Cover" and "Automatic Points".
Goddammit, I wanted to get some sleep tonight...

Contestant
"I'll take Potent Potables for 200.”

The Contestant uses their mastery of trivia in order to conjure magical effects. Well-studied individuals, Contestants will bend reality to their will using knowledge and intellect.

Playing a Contestant: Contestants are not front line fighters. They are controllers of a battle field, imposing their will upon the landscape and their opponents.

A level or two of Contestant really doesn't go with anything.

Alignment: Every alignment has its share of Contestants, however most Contestants are of Lawful alignment.

Races: Every humanoid race has nerds, but actual Contestants are rarer in societies that value physical achievements, and more common among societies that value the pursuit of knowledge. So while there are many Contestants among the Elves and Gnomes, a Contestant is rarely seen among the ranks of the Orcs and Goblins.

Starting Gold: 4d6x10 gp (140 gold)

Starting Age: As Wizard.

Hit Die: d6
Class Skills: The Contestant's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Disable Device (Int), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Knowledge (any) (Int), Search (Int) and Use Rope (Dex).
Skills/Level: 4 + Intelligence Bonus
BAB: Poor (1/2), Saves: Fort: Poor; Reflex: Good; Will: Good

Level, Benefit
1 Spellcasting, Trivial Knowedge
2 Quick on the Buzzer
3 Potent Potables
4 Hodge Podge
5 Daily Double
6 Potpourri
7 Double Jeopardy
8 4-Letter Words
9 US Presidents
10 Final Jeopardy

Last edited by erik on Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Awesome. But I would suggest at least one class feature actually be one of the Sean Connery specials: An Album Cover, S Words, Therapists, Japan-US Relations, Famous Horsemen, Catch These Men, The Pen Is Mightier.
Last edited by Koumei on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

I'm monkeying with the Arcanist class. I find myself rather liking the Occultist archetype for a conjurer sort, due to standard action summons and plane shift as a 5th level spell. How good would Summon Neutral Monster feat be, and what would good exploits to take be besides potent magic, quick study, and dimensional slide?
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

For exploits: Metamixing, Familiar, the bonus feats if you can't think of anything else. Summon Neutral Monster gives you some funky summon options and a neat template, especially if you're fighting most outsiders of note.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I am actually curious how the fuck a flasked avenger is supposed to contribute unless you go five minute eighteen second workday. They get (class level + int mod) bombs each day, and just to throw as many d6's as a fireball you need to be throwing two per round. Of course, fireball fucking sucks, and you'll actually be throwing 4+ each round. You seriously last 3-4 rounds of combat and then you're done. And until level 8 (when you can take fast bombs), you can't even fucking do that. You're throwing one bomb a round, and your primary shtick is straight up less valuable to the party than a wand of fireball and a scrub who can use it. Meanwhile for the beastmorpher, it takes an hour to brew a mutagen which lasts ten minutes per level, which means you need multiple hour long breaks each day just to do the thing you are built to do. God forbid you be allowed to be mediocre the entire day; no, you're going to have to wait for that mediocrity to refresh.

And how many additional full casters does Pathfinder have? Oracle, witch, arcanist, shaman? Didn't 3.5 have almost twice that many, including shit that was actually awesome and interesting like the beguiler and dread necromancer?

Every time I look at Pathfinder it just pisses me off. Every fucking time. Fullcasters are still the only people who matter, but instead of making splats full of interesting fullcasters they keep churning out shitty halfcasters who get "interesting abilities" 4-6 levels later than they needed them and with usage limits so pointlessly cumbersome they need the five minute workday even more than the wizard (who is already fucking better than them in every way and benefits more from the five minute workday than they do).
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

DSMatticus wrote:I am actually curious how the fuck a flasked avenger is supposed to contribute unless you go five minute eighteen second workday. They get (class level + int mod) bombs each day, and just to throw as many d6's as a fireball you need to be throwing two per round.
The advantage is that you can get normal weapon-type bonuses to your bombs (e.g. Int bonus to damage, PBS, bard song, etc.).
DSMatticus wrote: And until level 8 (when you can take fast bombs), you can't even fucking do that. You're throwing one bomb a round, and your primary shtick is straight up less valuable to the party than a wand of fireball and a scrub who can use it.
Before level 8, my usual attack was Stink Bomb which does damage and nausea in a 10' x 10' square (and you can pick it up at level 3, before the wizard gets access to Stinking Cloud, which is nice). You're right that you can blow through your bombs pretty quickly if you go all out with Fast Bombs, of course. I picked the Preservationist archetype so that I can throw down some summoned monsters to contribute as well.

Link to character sheet, if you're interested.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

For the Beastmorpher, you take the discovery that allows you mutagens to keep and brew them all during downtime. For the Flasked Avenger, you, I don't fucking know, throw flasks until you find something that needs to die and then you bomb it. I will grant you that this isn't the best life choice until you have multiple limbs and even then it's not as good as just blendering something with Sneak Attack damage.

And the Beguiler and Dread Necro were not only two of the only new full casters in 3.5, they were the only two that mattered because fuck the Wu Jen and Shugenja. The Wu Jen had one useful spell (Giant Size or whatever) and the Shugenja didn't even have that. The new PF full casters are actually useful to varying degrees.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

DSMatticus wrote:Every time I look at Pathfinder it just pisses me off. Every fucking time. Fullcasters are still the only people who matter, but instead of making splats full of interesting fullcasters they keep churning out shitty halfcasters who get "interesting abilities" 4-6 levels later than they needed them and with usage limits so pointlessly cumbersome they need the five minute workday even more than the wizard (who is already fucking better than them in every way and benefits more from the five minute workday than they do).
DSMatticus, you know damn well that Pathfinder can never, ever do that. If the game went full-spellcaster that would be admitting that LWQW was here to stay -- which in turn would completely kill Pathfinder's legitimacy over 3.5E D&D.

The best they can hope for is to slowly cajole their fanbase into getting used to the idea of playing characters that aren't Dumbass Melee Fighters/Vanilla Action Heroes so that when Pathfinder 2.0 comes out everyone is a spellcaster of some sort. And then when Pathfinder 2.5E/3E comes out they can phase out reduced functionality casters altogether.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Pathfinder's legitimizing claim is that Martial/Non-Magic and full casters are equivalent. Then they rolled prestige class quality abilities into Cleric, Sorcerer and Wizard and introduced 3 full casting classes (Arcanist, Oracle and Witch) that are like Clerics, Sorcerers and Wizards with prestige class level abilities rolled into them.

I agree with the consensus on the board that Pathfinder widened the disparity considerably.

There is a company kickstarting a videogame where all the characters are Full Casters. They didn't even TRY to pretend that Fighter/Wizard parity was something doable in Casterfinder. Good call.
Last edited by Insomniac on Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

PF casters are weaker than 3.5 ones, at least in a game with the majority of the books used. No infinite everything madness, no IotSFV with layers on layers of contingencies, not even Abrupt Jaunt.

It's just that PF non-casters are even more weakened in comparison.

Also that PF casters have a higher floor, so it's easier for their superiority to show up when people aren't particularly trying for it.
Last edited by Ice9 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Ice9 wrote:PF casters are weaker than 3.5 ones, at least in a game with the majority of the books used. No infinite everything madness, no IotSFV with layers on layers of contingencies, not even Abrupt Jaunt.

It's just that PF non-casters are even more weakened in comparison.

Also that PF casters have a higher floor, so it's easier for their superiority to show up when people aren't particularly trying for it.
This is bullshit. Some individual power spells have been nerfed. But you know what? Some of them haven't been. You can still pull off the shadow over the sun at 15th level, if you want to and your DM doesn't spot nerf it. Of course, your DM is going to spot nerf it. I mean, obviously they aren't just going to stand there with a slack jaw while your armies of shadows slaughter helpless orphans to make even greater armies of pure darkness that are immune to physical weapons.

Which is the basic problem with the whole thing. Actual infinite loops are bad design and they are bad for the game, but they really don't cause much fuss when they exist, because it's not a computer game. There's a DM, and after some headache inducing disruption, a world destroying power combo can in fact be nipped in the bud. What's actually important is not what happens if you turn the cheese sauce up to eleven, it's what happens if you play "fair."

And while Pathfinder nerfed a bunch of spells that fucking kill people, they also created a bunch more to replace them. Wizards just plain get more spells per day and a bunch of backup powers and they are just fucking better than Wizards in 3.5.

-Username17
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Frank wrote: Wizards just plain get more spells per day and a bunch of backup powers and they are just fucking better than Wizards in 3.5.
Oh damn, I know they made the divide worse, but I didn't actually realize the spellcasters are actually Better versions of their previous selves in 3.5 D&D!? Though in PF fashion, it seems to come with increased complexity to compensate yes? Having to juggle piddly junk like it was 4th edition, but the optimization being more meaningful.

Speaking of power balance, If one were to "play PF" (by that, I mean Frank Solution of using alt-classes & playin in crappy rules environment), with either the [Tome] Jester, Mechanus Warrior, or Elemental Siphon. How simple of endeavor would it be to argue their "balance", given PF seems to be in a sort of "Fighter-level" balance metric (good caster spell selection aside)?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Mask_De_H wrote:All this build talk is making me want to play a Cleric because once again they are the master class. What are some neat tricks a Wizard can do besides craft constructs?
Some of the wizard arcane discoveries are really, really good. Resilient Illusion and Infectious Charms are by themselves strong enough to put the enchantment and illusion schools back into the game despite the game increasingly throwing out 'lol no' effects at this point. The Academy Graduate local feat lets you, among other things, use the entire Summon Monster line as a standard action. They can also straight-up take the Exploiter Wizard archetype and can use many of the better exploits. Finally, despite all of the cross-list plundering that Pathfinder has enabled there are still a few very good wizard spells that clerics have a hard time snatching without significant opportunity costs -- like haste.

Ecclesitheurge clerics are generally better than straight wizards, but not automatically better. A min-maxed wizard in the right campaign can perform better in many instances.

Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Aryxbez wrote: Though in PF fashion, it seems to come with increased complexity to compensate yes? Having to juggle piddly junk like it was 4th edition, but the optimization being more meaningful.
It's not all that comparable--the extra bullshit to choose between is mostly build complexity rather than an in-game pain in the ass such as shuffling aura templates and tokens around. You can pretty easily slouch your way to a character that is just generically stronger than the 3.x equivalent.

For example, as a level 1 Human Wizard you can reasonably expect to enter play with 3 more hitpoints, 2 more Intelligence, and an extra casting of your highest spell per day via a bonded item. Oh, and if you have opposition schools (Hint: You will) you can still cast from them, it just takes twice the slots, which often isn't that big of a deal with utility crap like lower level divinations.
bears fall, everyone dies
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

FrankTrollman wrote:And while Pathfinder nerfed a bunch of spells that fucking kill people, they also created a bunch more to replace them. Wizards just plain get more spells per day and a bunch of backup powers and they are just fucking better than Wizards in 3.5.

-Username17
At low-moderate optimization levels, yes. And sure, infinite loops aren't actually going to fly (although some boards do seem to love them). But toward the higher (but still playable) end of optimization, D&D 3.5 is still ahead.

There's nothing in PF that can even get close to Mailman-level offense. Or IotSFV + Craft Contingent defense. Or Incantrix buffing. Or higher-end Wildshape/Polymorph insanity. Or a bunch of other stuff that might be too much for a typical campaign, but still non-infinite and playable.

Or seriously, Abrupt Fucking Jaunt. Available from 1st level on. Better than any school ability in PF.

Edit Actually, there's a lot of things that apply, even in more typical game. Despite their better class chassis, PF Wizards are a lot less durable:
* Concentration - casting defensively is harder, casting in a grapple is much harder.
* Shock and Awe, Nerveskitter, Elven Hummingbird BS, eventually Celerity. In 3.5, Wizards go first. Yeah, PF diviner gets a boost too - but much more slowly.
* Heart of X - a series of spells that gave significant buffs, including Freedom of Movement on demand.
* Faerie Mysteries Initiate - Bang an Elf, Int to HP.
* Exceptions to rules. How about a teleportation spell that isn't [Teleportation]? Got it. Cast in an AMF? Possible. Ignore SR? It can happen.

Not saying that these were all good things, but they do add up to casters that are much harder to shut down.
Last edited by Ice9 on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Ice9 wrote:There's nothing in PF that can even get close to Mailman-level offense. Or IotSFV + Craft Contingent defense. Or Incantrix buffing. Or higher-end Wildshape/Polymorph insanity.
Except for wildshaping (and only the stuff in the core class; the elemental wildshape trick introduced in MotW was right out) that shit rarely showed up in actual 3.5E D&D games I've played. Generally, the most powerful thing that I've been able to use in games that allowed expansion material was Divine Metamagic: Quicken Spell. And even then I have a log of someone calling me a game-destroying fucking munchkin for even bringing it up.

The buffs Pathfinder gives simultaneously require more dumpster diving and are more insidious. The Veiled Illusionist hands out stupid amounts of power for a blaster cleric and is in fact better than 95% of 3.5E cleric PrCs, even allowing for grossly overpowered ones like the Radiant Servant of Pelor -- but I never raised any red flags by proposing that I play one. The Ecclesitheurge is one of the most overpowered things I've ever seen in a d20 game but not one person outside of these boards have even raised an eyebrow. Hell, one of the first results on Teh Google for this archetype is people on the paizo boards whining how underpowered it is.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Insomniac
Knight

Post by Insomniac »

Technically, Pathfinder is supposed to be fully backwards compatible with 3.0 and 3.5 so you can still have all your favorite Fromunda cheese spells if the DM permits them.

Along with that, your core class has Prestigle class level abilities rolled into it, before you go into craziness with Traits, racial abilities and Archetypes.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Ecclesitheurge is completely batshit. If I ever play PF I know what I'm playing. Yeesh.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I