[IC]Back to Basics

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Now that the battle is joined and he can get a good look at the Wort, Xaxus will test his Herbalism proficiency (11) to see if he recognizes what exactly the Wart is and if it has any weaknesses. Xaxus also knows that he only half knows stuff about Herbalism, so admonishes other proficient party members to test their skill to confirm his recollections and share any helpful thing they recollect.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gilles knows nothing about Herbalism, but he will make a Spellcraft check to see if he knows if it possesses, or is using, any magical abilities.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Xaxus' knowledge of plants and herbs recognizes the Wort as a kind of fungus...albeit one that sometimes preys on other fungi... Gilles recognizes nothing of it from his studies of spellcraft.

Dorgan prods the burst "fruit" - which shivers and begins to rise, the heavy "peel" falling off to reveal a stunted figure, no higher than a human's waist - in broad outlines it resembles the fungus-that-walks, but smaller, malformed, the limbs not symmetrical in shape, the liver-colored cap missing and replaced by pale grey mossy strands like hair, growing all over its body, and the eyespots look out at the world from beneath a pronounced brow ridge.

All around the room, these..vegepygmies...rise up from where the "fruit" had fallen. Dozens of them...
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"My god. We'll be murdered out here. Bottleneck them in the tunnel!" Atani will shoot at those nearest to him while working his way back toward the party. If any get into melee range he'll drop his bow and come at them with blades, trying to push back to the party while hacking any down in his path.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Lucas winces at the wail, and covers an ear with his free hand. The noise drives him back against the wall, and when the fruits hatch, he is the first to head back through the tunnel.

Shouting over the ringing in his ears, he says, "I have oil, let's kill it with fire!"
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard heads for the tunnel entrance, where he begins to pour oil as he moves into the tunnel (the plan being to get the veggiepygmies to head into the tunnel after us and then light it up)
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gilles follows Flintbeard and Lucas back through the tunnel without delay.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Dorgan retreats towards the tunnel last, covering the party.

He will then proceed down the tunnel with a lit torch, if the creatures are pursuing, and wait for Flintbeard's signal.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The vegepygmies close in. They are crude and without strategy or leadership, but they have numbers, and quickly surround the group on all sides forming a loose ring and, cutting them off from the tunnel.

[There are about 36 of the vegepygmies surrounding you; the grouping is very loose and they have no weapons. Between your group and the tunnel there are only four.]
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

"Quick! Back to the tunnel! Atani, Flintbeard, help me clear a path! The rest, follow us! RUN!"

Dorgan charges the nearest of the 4 creatures that block the path to the tunnel, slamming his morningstar on its side to topple it, and keep running. He will then assist the rest of the group as they file inside the tunnel, defending them from any attackers, before going in last.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Atani will push through the creatures around him, running to rejoin the party. At Dorgans call he'll come beside him and slash through the deformed minions with all his might. Battling beside Dorgan, he'll set his swords swinging alongside Dorgans crashing morningstars. Once all are dead, or one remains, he will do as Dorgan says and retreat into the tunnel.

If we make it inside, and Dorgan lives to follow, Atani will take the vanguard and allow Dorgan to be healed behind him. Fighting at the front of the party for as long as he has the strength.
Last edited by Dean on Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard goes with Dorgan and Atani's plan. (Flintbeard has axe and shield in hand)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gilles stays in the back, unless someone needs healing, or if one of the vegepygmies gets close enough that he could engage it with his magic shortsword.

EDIT: this is in addition to the party's plan, which he follows unless the above happens.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

With determination, the party attacks, Dorgan and Atani leading the way. The short, deformed mold men are bowled over by the force of their charge, and all of them manage to escape back into the cavern of the myconids...

...except for Tim, who is last, and beset by a group of mold men and dragged down to the ground.

The mold men seem reluctant to leave their lair, and do not pursue you through the gap...but as you catch your breaths, you begin to hear Tim scream...
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"Even if they don't want to follow us we can force them to. If we move to the front of the tunnel they will be faced with the choice of funneling in and sacrificing the advantage of their numbers or leaving us be and allowing us to rain arrows into their foul mother. If Tim is being dragged off rather than beaten to death I wager this is also the best chance for his rescue, slim as I think that is"

Atani moves out to the front of the tunnel, swords in hand. If the vegepygmies come for me then attack them, if they don't then maintain a guard post while Flintbeard or Gilles shoot.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Dorgan mirrors Atani's actions, providing protection for the bowmen.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Lucas digs out several of the flasks of oil from his pack. "Good idea. But we can also burn them out."
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Reminder that as a vermin hunter, Flintbeard gets a +1 bonus to hit little dudes.

Should we try to rescue Tim or is he very dead and going to have veggiepygmies sprout from his tummy.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

From the relative safety of the entrance to the mold men's cavern, you can see that the mold men have dragged Tim back to before the monolith, where one of the larger vegepygmires has a crude stone dagger. Holding his arms and legs, the mold man raises the dagger, prepared to plunge it into the wizard's belly. Tim stares at his friends and companions, eyes wide with fear and desperation, screaming for help.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

"Damnit"

Atani drops to one knee and releases his swords by his sides. He draws his bow and keeps a low profile so as not to obstruct anyone elses fire.

Atani will release 3 shots at the pygmy about to sacrifice a bro.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Xaxus will hand his scythe to his skeleton and attempt to bean the stone dagger wielding mold man with a sling stone. Should Tim be safe from immidieate peril Xaxus will stowe his sling and retrieve his scythe, should he remain in peril Xaxus will continue to sling stones at the mold men.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard hurls a flask of oil at the cluster of mold men.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Gilles joins the bandwagon and fires his shortbow at the dagger-wielding mold man (2 shots, THAC0 17 each).
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

If he can also fire through the hole, Lucas will set down his lantern and the oil flasks and get out his sling, then join the others in shooting at the vegepygmies.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Stones, arrows, and a flask of burning oil fall all around Tim, who seems now to be more concerned with getting accidentally murdered by one of his allies than eaten by the cannibalistic vegepygmies. The mold men holding his right arm are among the casualties of the barrage, and Tim's free arm shoots to his throat, revealing the golden amulet recovered earlier - and begins whispering something.

A dark smoke issues from the amulet, growing into a brownish, snaking cloud which surprisingly quickly resolves itself into the monstrous form of a huge beast, its eight dragon-like heads situated on the end of long sinewy necks, ending in the massive, bloated trunk, its legs vestigial, toadlike things ending in ugly claws...a hydra. With a roar from eight throats that causes the cavern to shake, the eight heads descend on the mold man tribe, and begins to feast...