Dungeoneering: Back to Basics

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

(work in progress)

Lucas Earth-Worker

Lucas was orphaned at a young age, and taken in by relatives. He grew up with these simple farmers until he discovered his talent for magic and his calling to serve the greater good.

Lawful Good Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Cleric

Str 12
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 9
Wis 13
Cha 14

2 hp

Half Elf abilities:
Infravision 60'
30% resistance to sleep and all charm-related spells
Secret or concealed doors are difficult to hide from half-elves, just as they are from elves. Merely passing within 10 feet of a concealed door (one hidden by obstructing curtains, etc.) gives the half-elven character a one-in-six chance (roll a 1 on 1d6) of spotting it. If the character is actively seeking to discover hidden doors, he has a one-in-three chance (roll a 1 or 2 on 1d6) of spotting a secret door (one constructed to be undetectable) and a one-in-two chance (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d6) of locating a concealed door.

Languages: Common, Elf

Base THAC0: 20

Saves: (best of each class)
Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 10
Rod, Staff, or Wand 11
Petrification or Polymorph 13
Breath Weapon 15
Spells 12

Movement rate 12

Proficiencies:
Weapons (4): tbd (morning star, sling, two other bludgeoning weapons?)
Nonweapon (6): tbd (agriculture, five others)

Initial funds (as a warrior): 170 gp
Equipment: tbd (but probably morning star, sling, armor, adventuring gear, spellbook, and some guards for our wagons)

Lucas will need a spell book before he selects his divine spells. Note that, because he normally wears armor, he cannot cast his wizard spells without stopping to remove that armor.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Lucas Earth-Worker's spellbook takes the form of a series of engraved brass disks, which are worn along a thick silken string by means of small holes punched through the center, so that they can be worn as an amulet or a belt. The spells on it are detect magic, hold portal, push, read magic, unseen servant, and write.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Out of the survivors, the shortsword is probably best for Gilles, as he's proficient in it and gets a bonus to attack with it for being an Elf (Atani would get just as much out of it, but he's specialized in Longswords so he does better using one of those.)
Yeah, grab it then. If Tim or Gilles detects magic on the Ring I'd be curious about that thing. If it's magic I'd wear it and see if it tried to kill me at an opportune moment.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Here we go then. Take 2.
Dorgan Metalborn :viking:
Lvl 1 Dwarven Fighter
XP: 42 834

Abilities
STR: 17
DEX: 14
CON: 15 + 1 = 16
INT: 14
WIS: 9
CHA: 9 - 1 = 8

HP: 8 + 2 = 10

AL: NG

Adj:
Hit Prob. +1
Dmg. Adj. +1
Weight Allow. 85
Max. Press 220
Open Doors 10
Bend Bars/ Lift Gates 13%

THAC0: 19 / 21
# of attacks/round: 2

AC: 4 (splint mail)

Saving throws:
Prl/Pois/DthM: 14 -4 -> 10
Rod/Stf/Wnd: 16 -4 -> 12
Petr/Poly: 15 -2 -> 13
BrthW: 17 -2 -> 15
Spl: 17 -4 -> 13

Proficiencies
Weapon: Morningstar, Battle Axe, Specialization: Weapon and Shield style, Specialization: Two-weapon style
Nonweapon: Modern Languages, Appraising, Dwarf Runes
Languages: Dwarf, common, orc, gnome.

Deity: Clangeddin Silverbeard

Notes
- Bonus to saving throws against attacks from magical wands, staves, rods, and spells. This bonus is +1 for every 3 - ½ points of Constitution score. Thus, for example, if a dwarf has a Constitution score of 7 he gains +2 on saving throws. These bonuses are summarized on Table 9.
- Saving throws against poison with the same bonuses that they get against magical attacks.
- All magical items that are not specifically suited to the character's class have a 20% chance to malfunction when used by a dwarf. Malfunction applies to rods, staves, wands, rings, amulets, potions, horns, jewels, and all other magical items except weapons, shields, armor, gauntlets, and girdles.
- +1 to their dice rolls to hit orcs, half-orcs, goblins, and hobgoblins. When ogres, trolls, ogre magi, giants, or titans attack dwarves, these monsters must subtract 4 from their attack rolls because of the dwarves' small size and combat ability against these much bigger creatures.
- 60' infravision
- Underground abilities:
Detect grade or slope in passage -> 1-5 on 1d6
Detect new tunnel/passage construction -> 1-5 on 1d6
Detect sliding/shifting walls or rooms -> 1-4 on 1d6
Detect stonework traps, pits, and deadfalls -> 1-3 on 1d6
Determine approximate depth underground -> 1-3 on 1d6

Starting money: 110
Gear: Leather backpack, Waterskin (full) , 50' rope, Girdle of Frost Giantess Strength
Armor: Splint mail
Weapons: 2 x Morningstar (2d4+1, 1d6+2)
Edited languages.
Last edited by Sirocco on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Your INT of 14 lets you speak 4 languages. Any of those you've picked are fine. Most of the humanoid languages are actually romance languages (so, Common is like French, Elven is like Italian, Dwarf is like Spanish, Gnome is like Portuguese, etc.). Not always mutually understandable, but if you know one the others aren't so hard to learn.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Flintbeard Stoneaxe, Dwarf N Fighter/Thief (Vermin Gnome Slayer) 1

Verminslayers are fighter/dwarves that specialize in the hunting and killing of small sized enemies, such as gnomes. A verminslayer gets +1hit/+2dmg with a chosen hand weapon vs small sized foes, such as gnomes.

http://www.arcadequartermaster.com/ddsom/pichendel.png

STR 14
DEX 16 (reaction +1, missile +1, Defense -2)
CON 15 (+1hp, +4sv)
INT 16
WIS 10
CHA 9

HP: 8
THAC0: Melee 19, Missile 18
AC: 2 (-2 Dex, -1 shield, -5 leather)
Reaction: +1 (+2 when in tunnels)

Fightin' Equipment
-Battle Axe
-Black Hammer (Magical?)
-2 daggers
-Shield
-Leather armor
-light crossbow (20 bolts)

Other Equipment
-Clothes, boots, gloves
-Backpack
-Sack
-Belt+Large belt pouch+small belt pouch
-50' Rope+grappling hook
-Chalk
-soap 1lb
-candles
-Torch x2
-Waterskin (full)
-1 week rations
-Lamp oil flask x2
-hammer+pitons
-10' pole

GP: 10

Thieving Skills
Pick P 5
Open Locks 25
Traps 55
Silent 15
Hide 5
Noise 50
Climb 50
Read -5

Weapon Prof
-Dagger
-Light Crossbow
-Axe (Chosen vermin slayer weapon, +1 hit +2 damage vs small creatures)
-longsword

NWP
-Tracking
-Stonemasonry
-Set Snares
-Ancient History
-Rope use
-Mining

Lang
-Common
-Dwarven
-Goblin

Books used
-PHB
-Complete book of dwarves http://home.online.no/~rahag/AD&D/Book_of_Dwarves.pdf
"Vermin Slayer" Kit

Special Benefits: Vermin Slayers receive a +5% bonus to their Find/Remove Traps,
Detect Noise, and Move Silently skills. Because of their special training, Vermin Slayers receive
a +1 bonus to attack and a +2 bonus to damage with one chosen hand weapon, when fighting
small sized creatures. They receive a -1 initiative bonus anytime they are fighting in a restricted
tunnel or passage.

Special Hindrances: Vermin Slayers have a -10% penalty to their Pick Pockets skill and a
-5% penalty to their Read Languages skill.
They are not trained to fight large creatures, so ogres, trolls, ogre magi, giants, and titans
find them easier to attack than other dwarves. Large creatures are only penalized -2 when
attacking Vermin Slayers
Last edited by OgreBattle on Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Languages?
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Common, Dwarven, Goblin
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Ancient History wrote:Lucas Earth-Worker's spellbook takes the form of a series of engraved brass disks, which are worn along a thick silken string by means of small holes punched through the center, so that they can be worn as an amulet or a belt. The spells on it are detect magic, hold portal, push, read magic, unseen servant, and write.
Cool. Are Push and Write from the Encyclopedia Magica?

Also, how much would it cost to hire some people to guard the wagons while we do the dungeon delving? Not so much for protection from owlbears, just to keep away hungry townsfolk or animals who may have followed us for our provisions, that kind of thing.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Bugger, looking at the wrong list. Uh, make that identify and phantasmal force.

The new PCs can introduce themselves whenever they want. The king can send some guards along to feed the horses and whatnot. They're under strict orders not to go into the dungeon under any circumstances until it's been cleared.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Axebeard will make his appearance soon, y'all can resolve what to do with the crying gnome and the maybe-a-gnome hiding in the bushes.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

Use them as owlbearbait?
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:Use them as owlbearbait?
Because what we need right now is more owlbears.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I want to sacrifice at least one of them, although you guys can use them for whatever before I do so. And I don't mind if they end up dying through other means. The dying's all that matters.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Before heading back into the dungeon I would like to suggest the inclusion of the "Hovering on Death's Door" optional rule. To quote it:
You might find that your campaign has become particularly deadly. Too many player characters are dying. If this happens, you may want to allow characters to survive for short periods of time even after their hit points reach or drop below 0. When this rule is in use, a character can remain alive until his hit points reach -10.
I think this accurately assesses our group, with three dead before we've actually gone in the dungeon. I think it would also help things move faster as the lethality of the system is a bit stultifying. When literally any action might cause the 1d6 roll that kills you it incentivizes caution on a level that doesn't work particularly well in a pbp environment. So I vote for that, to let us play a little more aggressively without having to take day breaks to let people roll up new characters. I think it would be smart.

We should do that then IC we should rest for the day, let the new people arrive, let people get spells back, shoot any Gnomes that fuck with us, then I'll have Atani lead the march into the actual dungeon next morning.
Last edited by Dean on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

That would just make it harder for me to roll a new/better chara :D
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

I think if your character goes down and needs a full day of rest to even get back above 1hp it'd be reasonable to just have them call out sick and make a new dude.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

I'll finish/double check this in the morning.

Lucas Earth-Worker

Lucas was orphaned at a young age, and taken in by relatives. He grew up with these simple farmers until he discovered his talent for magic and his calling to serve the greater good.

Lawful Good Male Half-Elf Fighter/Mage/Cleric
XP 48/48/48

Str 12
Dex 8
Con 10
Int 9
Wis 13
Cha 14

2 hp

Half Elf abilities:
Infravision 60'
30% resistance to sleep and all charm-related spells
Secret or concealed doors are difficult to hide from half-elves, just as they are from elves. Merely passing within 10 feet of a concealed door (one hidden by obstructing curtains, etc.) gives the half-elven character a one-in-six chance (roll a 1 on 1d6) of spotting it. If the character is actively seeking to discover hidden doors, she has a one-in-three chance (roll a 1 or 2 on 1d6) of spotting a secret door (one constructed to be undetectable) and a one-in-two chance (roll a 1, 2, or 3 on 1d6) of locating a concealed door.

Languages: Common, Elf

Base THAC0: 20

Saves: (best of each class)
Paralyzation, Poison, or Death Magic 10
Rod, Staff, or Wand 11
Petrification or Polymorph 13
Breath Weapon 15
Spells 12

Movement rate 12

Proficiencies:
Weapons (4): Morning Star, Sling, Staff Sling, Quarterstaff
Nonweapon (6): Agriculture, Ancient History, Blind-Fighting (two slots), Healing (two slots)

Initial funds (as a warrior): 170 gp
Equipment: tbd (but probably morning star, sling, armor, adventuring gear, spellbook, and some guards for our wagons)

Fighting Gear
Splint Mail (80 gp, 4 ac, 40 lbs)
Shield, Small (3gp, +1 ac, 5 lbs)
Morning Star (10gp, 12 lbs)
several Slings (<<1 gp, - lbs) (plus sling stones and sling bullets)
Quarterstaff (free, 4 lbs)
Staff Sling (0.2gp, 2 lbs)

Adventuring Gear
backpack, belt pouches, candles, chalk, flint and steel, holy item (25 gp), lantern, oil, pitons, rope, sacks, torches, whetstone

hammer, knife, crowbar, other tools

blanket, clothes

Lucas Earth-Worker's spellbook takes the form of a series of engraved brass disks, which are worn along a thick silken string by means of small holes punched through the center, so that they can be worn as an amulet or a belt. The spells on it are detect magic, hold portal, identify, phantasmal forceread magic, and unseen servant.

Note that, because Lucas normally wears armor, he cannot cast his wizard spells without stopping to remove that armor.

Spells prepared

Wizard spell: Unseen Servant
Cleric spells: Cure Light Wounds x2
Last edited by Sam on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Are the new guys part of a second group sent by the king, or are we making our way to the dungeon separately?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Reinforcements sent by the king.

Re: "Hovering on Death's Door" optional rule
We can use it if all the players agree that they want to use it
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Ancient History wrote:Reinforcements sent by the king.

Re: "Hovering on Death's Door" optional rule
We can use it if all the players agree that they want to use it
I'd be up for it.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I like the 0=dead aspect for lulzy AD&D, and I don't mind rolling up new characters.
Sam
Journeyman

Post by Sam »

I don't care either way.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Atani gave us a great cue, I'm ready for round 2. If everyone else is ready, we can make our appearance.

Burst through the foliage attracted by the noise...?
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I would like to use the hovering at death's door rule, it will give us clerics a chance to use the heal skill.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made