Zero Buzz on 5E...Is It Dead Out The Gate?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

tussock wrote:1st edition [said] if you didn't have two stats of 15+ you should re-roll per the DMG.
Could you quote this paragraph? I suspect this is an extremely optimistic interpretation of what it actually says.
Ferret
Knight

Post by Ferret »

Another 4e olive branch is spell entry language.

As frank says, the descriptors of the action economy being concise and standardized and defined was honestly a huge boon. Likewise, the power list format could still be used for spell list entries - even if they kept the natural language descriptions.

Likewise, 4e's adventure layouts were supposedly prett nice. Monster entries inline with their appearance in a module and including power descriptions so there is no need to flip pages back and forth to reference monster stats plus another book to reference spell effects sounds pretty slick.

Honestly, I think a lot of their apparent disregard for data formatting and layout is because they expect everyone to leverage their Morningstar product; the fact that spells are a giant alphabetical list is irrelevant because the morningstar interface will present you with all your potential spells by level for you to select, and less-optimal organization in the physical book is honestly a potential driver to the digital (and likely subscription based) tooling.

It has also been hinted that Morningstar is going to be the venue by which their digital content is released, so we might see modal windows and popovers used for monster data in adventures. We should know more in a couple weeks, they're doing public demos at GenCon.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Ancient History wrote:BTW, some numbnuts from G+ is linking to this. I meant to address this early, but please don't call Mandy a "fuckbag" or the like. It's rude, misogynistic, and unlike Zak she's never done anything to us to deserve ill treatment.
I concur. Quit that shit.
[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

ACOS wrote: Dude - there was a ~30-page clusterfuck where I'm pretty sure this was attempted several times. Ancient History actually deserves a medal or a goddamn Nobel Peace Prize for the way he handled Shitmuffin; and, if memory serves, he actually tried the empiricism track several times (along with whoever else)

*at least I think it was AH. I could be wrong*
It was. Go back and look though; AH spent a lot of effort on a good-faith attempt to explain his opinions, and gave coherent answers. But those were all about his opinions (or rather, mostly about really, really conceding that Zak's group is unusual, and double pinky-swearing never to question that), and nothing about actual play.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

fectin wrote:I don't think confronting him on it is especially useful either. If I absolutely had to convince him that crunchy was better, I would do it by sharing competing experiences, where crunchy had empirically had better results. I would talk about friends' Hunter stories, about Sanderson's Laws, etc. I would go that way, because I expect a soft approach would work.
But I don't have to do that.
If you want to convince Zak just challenge him to a GM duel. I'm totally sure it'll work.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

...But I'm not actually that stellar at GMing. I do okay, and I can recognize many of the reasons I'm not better at it, but a GM duel would prove nothing.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

fectin wrote:...But I'm not actually that stellar at GMing. I do okay, and I can recognize many of the reasons I'm not better at it, but a GM duel would prove nothing.
That's okay because he explicitly admitted that no matter what the result he didn't think it would prove anything, and that he was just making the challenge in bad faith.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
caladfel
NPC

Post by caladfel »

fectin wrote:...But I'm not actually that stellar at GMing. I do okay, and I can recognize many of the reasons I'm not better at it, but a GM duel would prove nothing.
"GM Duel". I had no idea of who Zak S, and therefore no opinion. The link to the "GM Duel" thread makes me think he is pants-on-head retarded.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Zak S. still wants me to apologize because I didn't answer enough of his questions in those threads. Which of course makes me a liar. 99
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

Ferret wrote: Honestly, I think a lot of their apparent disregard for data formatting and layout is because they expect everyone to leverage their Morningstar product; the fact that spells are a giant alphabetical list is irrelevant because the morningstar interface will present you with all your potential spells by level for you to select, and less-optimal organization in the physical book is honestly a potential driver to the digital (and likely subscription based) tooling..
You may be right on this. Going through the spells in the current documents feels like a punishment. That they aren't tagged by class is frustrating as hell.

I kind of get why, since the addition of bard yoinking, domains spells, oaths spells, warlock pacts and all that shit adds even more crap on top (plus I suspect at least part of it is the word count that referencing would eat up), but as is, it is a reference nightmare.

But selling digital tools to make spell reference for the base book functional is a complete asshole move.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

From the adventure league player guide.
Arms and armor taken from defeated monsters is worthless and cannot be sold unless specified in the adventure (the party can use the items during the session in which they are found, though). As a general rule of thumb, if an item is part of a monster’s statistics, it’s not sellable.
The fuck is up with that?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Corsair114
Master

Post by Corsair114 »

ishy wrote:From the adventure league player guide.
Arms and armor taken from defeated monsters is worthless and cannot be sold unless specified in the adventure (the party can use the items during the session in which they are found, though). As a general rule of thumb, if an item is part of a monster’s statistics, it’s not sellable.
Their olive branch to 4E adopters is cynical indeed.
The rules are the game, without them you're just playing cowboys and indians with a side of craps. Image
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

I'm not sure if its some bizarre attempt at blocking Greyhawking to keep things moving on, or if there is some secret unlock for real character power for having cash hidden somewhere in the PH or DMG.

The basic rules have similar language (monster equipment being essentially unsellable), but as magic items aren't buyable either... cash seems to serve no purpose beyond spell components, expensive armor (half plate and plate), and shadow run style lifestyle payments. So, really, I'm not sure why it matters if you do strip everything down.
ACOS
Knight

Post by ACOS »

Voss wrote: some bizarre attempt at blocking Greyhawking to keep things moving on,
^This would be my guess.
If they had been demonstrating something other than full potato, I might be inclined to think that they intended you to figure out a way to actually make it useful somehow. Maybe you re-craft stuff, or maybe you use it as trade goods with creatures that can actually use it, or maybe you use it to outfit the army you're trying to build.

But again, potato.
Last edited by ACOS on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

So you can't sell it. Whatever. The plan now is to use your wealth to levy an army of followers and equip them for free using all the now non-vendor trash you greyhawked of the still warm corpses of your fallen conquests.

Edit: GODDAMNIT! TWENTY MINUTES LATE! WHY MUST YOU ARTICULATE YOUR THOUGHTS BEFORE I CAN! FFFFFFFFFFUUU-
Last edited by Hicks on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Pretty much. On the upside, that means you have to get invested in the setting.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

But it also disappears at the end of the session. Take that, you dirty min-maxer.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Where does it say that the "worthless" items dissappear at the end of the session?
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

DSMatticus wrote:But it also disappears at the end of the session. Take that, you dirty min-maxer.
Eh. That seems to be an 'adventurer's league' rule, and pretty consistent with RPGA, Living Whatever, PF Society and various other bizarre contortions to leverage organized play. From that perspective it makes perfect sense- some of the shit people got up to in order to leverage bizarre crap from one DM's session to another got pretty crazy, and needed some protections.

Though naturally they often took it too far.
Hicks wrote:Where does it say that the "worthless" items dissappear at the end of the session?
ishy was quoting from the 'adventurer's league' guidelines. The new Living Whatever/RPGA, essentially. Just a quirk of organized play to keep some of the crazy in line. In a normal campaign, you can stockpile 500 suits of non-sellable hobgoblin chainmail if you like.
Last edited by Voss on Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

With the "Bounded Accuracy" system in 5e, monsters and PCs have set attack and AC values. However, PCs can bump their stats up with magic items, so monsters are going to need magic items too in order to keep up.

However, the devs don't want the players to be blinged out with a ton of magic gear, so they just make the magic gear the monsters wear useless for the players.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

animea90 wrote:However, the devs don't want the players to be blinged out with a ton of magic gear, so they just make the magic gear the monsters wear useless for the players.
It's one thing to stop players from trading in a huge stack of bone spears and feather headdresses for a +2 sword, it's quite another to stop players from wielding the +2 swords the lizardman elite were wielding just a few minutes ago.

The 4Erries might have been okay with the game breaking the fourth wall to protect the so-called 'game balance', but that was like design paradigm #3 in the list of things detractors used to dismiss 4E D&D as an MMORPG-wannabe.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

Hicks wrote:Where does it say that the "worthless" items dissappear at the end of the session?
It says "the party can use the items during the session in which they are found, though" which implies that these items can't be used after that session.
animea90
Journeyman

Post by animea90 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
animea90 wrote:However, the devs don't want the players to be blinged out with a ton of magic gear, so they just make the magic gear the monsters wear useless for the players.
It's one thing to stop players from trading in a huge stack of bone spears and feather headdresses for a +2 sword, it's quite another to stop players from wielding the +2 swords the lizardman elite were wielding just a few minutes ago.

The 4Erries might have been okay with the game breaking the fourth wall to protect the so-called 'game balance', but that was like design paradigm #3 in the list of things detractors used to dismiss 4E D&D as an MMORPG-wannabe.
I completely agree that its a dumb mechanic. I was just explaining the rationale. The smarter move would have been to just give monsters innate stat improvements if you want them to be stronger.

The rules on acquiring magic items are weird. You can't buy them and you can't loot them off enemies. It seems the only way you can get magic items is as a quest reward or to find it in a treasure horde.

Because apparently the orcs are going to keep their +2 longswords in the treasure horde instead of using them to fight the pcs.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

animea90 wrote:The rules on acquiring magic items are weird. You can't buy them and you can't loot them off enemies. It seems the only way you can get magic items is as a quest reward or to find it in a treasure horde.

Because apparently the orcs are going to keep their +2 longswords in the treasure horde instead of using them to fight the pcs.
I don't think anyone is advocating post-hoc treasure drops these days. If the wyvern family has a nest of shinies that they threw up/excreted/nibbled around, you can just leave it like that. But if you roll up a +4 longsword for the orc raiders' loot then one of them should be using it. And you can then either make it a surprise for the players or adjust the encounter accordingly.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
animea90 wrote:The rules on acquiring magic items are weird. You can't buy them and you can't loot them off enemies. It seems the only way you can get magic items is as a quest reward or to find it in a treasure horde.

I don't think anyone is advocating post-hoc treasure drops these days. If the wyvern family has a nest of shinies that they threw up/excreted/nibbled around, you can just leave it like that. But if you roll up a +4 longsword for the orc raiders' loot then one of them should be using it. And you can then either make it a surprise for the players or adjust the encounter accordingly.
No. D&DNext is advocating post-hoc treasure drops. The +4 longsword in the Orc's "treasure hoard" is something that you can use or sell, but a +4 longsword in the Orc's "monster equipment" can't be sold and may not even be available to you once the current session is over.

The fact that this is almost universally regarded as an almost inconceivably stupid idea doesn't mean that they aren't advocating precisely that. This is Mike Mearls we're talking about.

-Username17