It's Star Wars sequel trilogy time, bitches.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

It's Star Wars sequel trilogy time, bitches.

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

So... what's the news on the new Star Wars? Filming started a couple of months ago. It's coming out in December 2015.

I'm excited about the movies. Playing Star Wars video games has gotten me really pumped. J. J. Abrams... is all right as the producer. He's done some stuff that's good (Lost, MI3, Cloverfield, Joy Ride, first Star Trek reboot movie), some other stuff that's not so good (ARMAGEDDON). I have some faith in him. Not unqualified squeeing fanboy faith like I have for, say, Bruce Timm, but enough so I'm willing to give him a chance.

However, what really has me pumped about the sequel is that Disney has their hands on it. I know we're all 'ha ha Disney WTF' but after seeing how the Marvel movie properties ended up in their hands I'm looking very forward to it.

I'm a little bit pissed that it took like 30 years for a proper sequel with the original actors -- who are all long in the tooth -- but that's water under the bridge. I never thought the day would come, and yet, here we are.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I'm somewhat positive about the new sequels, and I'm at least willing to give it a chance.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

I care nothing for the sequels. My interest isn't just zero, it's slightly negative. J. J. Abrams is a walking disaster and the whole project is a terrible idea that shits on everyone and everything involved. Maybe it's burn out from all the crap movies making megabucks lately, but I find it really hard to give a damn about upcoming films.

Except Guardians of the Galaxy, which looks awesome.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

What I want to know is how much of the Extended Universe they'll be including, since most of it is terrible (Crystal Star, Yuuzhan Vong, and anything involving Boba Fett, I'm lookin' at you).
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Ancient History wrote:J. J. Abrams is a walking disaster and the whole project is a terrible idea that shits on everyone and everything involved.
Why do you say that? I don't think that Abrams is awful or anything. He's an average director who occasionally does some good cinematography and has some talent at directing action sequences. If he gets paired up with a good script then I can see some real good coming out of it.

Also, I think that the project is a great idea. There are a LOT of directions in which you can take the Star Wars universe and the ideas behind it. I think moving the mythos beyond the aesthetics and tropes of the first sequel will be a fantastic boon for the property. And a successful sequel trilogy is just the thing that can do it.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

J. J. Abrams has never made a good movie. He directed the godawful Cloverfield. He destroyed the Star Trek reboot. He wrote Felicity, which probably counts as a war crime somewhere.

And let's not make this more than it is: the Star Wars sequels are a blatant ploy by Disney to print money. That is the beginning, middle, and end to it.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shrapnel wrote:What I want to know is how much of the Extended Universe they'll be including, since most of it is terrible (Crystal Star, Yuuzhan Vong, and anything involving Boba Fett, I'm lookin' at you).
Yuuzhan Vong has some good and some bad, but I would never put it anywhere near Crystal Star or Boba Fett. Honestly, Vong would probably be better in both story and visuals than whatever they end up doing.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

I think there was official word that they'll be ignoring everything but the movies. Which is completely understandable - the EU is probably about as stale as the Gor books and pre-reboot Star Trek. I'd say it was shittier, too, except for the leakage from all the anal sex in Gor.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Despite the overabundance of lensflare, I don't think the Star Trek reboot was bad. I enjoyed both movies so far and think that I'll probably enjoy whatever else they come up with for the reboot franchise.

Lens Flare!

What I will say for JJ Abrams is that he doesn't seem to be able to make a satisfactory ending to a series. Like, at all. Let's face it, Lost didn't go anywhere. Fringe went somewhere... but that was a stupid place. Even Felicity did that... um... What?

I really liked Almost Human, but it was canceled after just a single 13 episode season. I imagine that if it had had a chance to go at least four seasons it would have turned to soul-based time travel and shit.

So I predict that the Star Wars sequels will give us two good movies and the last movie will be a bizarre time warp thing where it turns out that Han Solo has been Annakin's secret father the whole time and also the entire Empire was formed because Wookies in the future needed an easier way to open walnuts. Also souls. And time travel.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

I believe he admitted that his Star Trek movies were really just him practicing for Star Wars.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I don't see how anyone could've liked Cloverfield or thought it was even an 'ok' movie.

Edit: More on topic, I don't think that a Star Wars sequel will be in bad shape. It probably isn't going to blow any minds but I have some faith that it might be not terrible.
Last edited by MGuy on Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put 60+ year-old Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in front of the camera? How can anyone keep a straight face while pretending that this concept is not screechingly, shit-flingingly insane? Harrison Ford was the only real actor among the original trio and he's a tired parody of himself by this point.

Hype about this movie exists because people assume that a Star Wars film is a hypeworthy entity, even though none of the actual facts in evidence should be cause for anything but a shrug or maybe a grimace. It is a vain and childlike hope that J.J. Lensflare Shakycam Abrams is going to shit out another Empire Strikes Back. It's not going to happen and, in their rational minds, every person on Earth ought to realize it.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Re: It's Star Wars sequel trilogy time, bitches.

Post by AndreiChekov »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:. J. J. Abrams... is all right as the producer. He's done some stuff that's good (Lost, MI3, Cloverfield, Joy Ride, first Star Trek reboot movie), some other stuff that's not so good (ARMAGEDDON.

Except that all of those things sucked except for Armageddon, which wasn't good, it just didn't suck.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
erik
King

Post by erik »

Mord wrote:Harrison Ford was the only real actor among the original trio and he's a tired parody of himself by this point.
:roll:

I have enjoyed all of them in some works they did afterward. It's not Hamill or Fisher's fault that Ford got the most interesting character role.

Anyway. The complaint about them being too old mostly depends upon what they are called upon to do. If it is just New Hope 2.0 then yeah, bad call. If they serve as passing on the torch or something similar and do not have massive screen time then that's not so bad (Spock in new Star Trek for example). Pity I cannot trust in Lucas' good judgement, as I am not certain it actually exists. The more distanced Lucas is from the project the better a product I would expect.

Unrelated.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

erik wrote:I have enjoyed all of them in some works they did afterward. It's not Hamill or Fisher's fault that Ford got the most interesting character role.
I was overly harsh in describing Hamill and Fisher as not being real actors, so let me put it this way instead: they were good enough for the original trilogy and never landed any more starring roles. The reasons for that are yours on which to speculate.

Regardless of their individual merits as actors, bringing the trio back is an obvious attempt to cash in on the dregs of nostalgia that Lucas hasn't already traded for coke. Jesus, if they could, I'm sure Disney would dig up Alec Guinness so they could put "the original cast reunited 30 years later!" on the press releases.

It worries me that the only solid facts coming out of Disney about this film have been superficial bullshit like returning original cast members. If there's no actual creative impulse behind a film, regardless of the money they pump into it we're going to end up with a soulless monstrosity.

I wish I could believe that it's possible for a bad enough Star Wars movie to flop commercially... Sadly, it might not even be possible to make a worse movie than Episode II, which nonetheless made gigatons of money.
erik wrote:Unrelated.
You bastard.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

... Can this just be a thread about Lemon Demon music now?
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Mord wrote:
erik wrote:Unrelated.
You bastard.
If I can get but one person to watch that the whole way through, then my place at the right hand of the Dark Llord is assured.

[edit: I am torn whether to correct the Dark Llord typoe. Decided to leave it and let your imagination conjure the best evil llama pic]
Last edited by erik on Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

It's sad, but these days when someone mentions Mark Hamill, I think of this guy:
before I think about this guy:
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Why is that sad? The Joker is so much more interesting than Luke. It's only natural you'd remember the more interesting performance better.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i wonder if mel brooks is ever going to make a second space balls . .
he said once that if lucas made 3 more movies, he'd make another.
and then the pre-quels hit. and nothing. and now a new trilogy. silence.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I'm annoyed with Disney because they shelved my wife's movie when it was nearly finished, redistributing a bunch of their studio (and actors) because they had just bought the rights to Star Wars.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
erik
King

Post by erik »

Stahlseele wrote:i wonder if mel brooks is ever going to make a second space balls . .
Lucas beat him to the punch on the parody. How are you going to top racist alien accents, green screen addiction, the stupidest plot imaginable, microforceganisms, and a wooden doll empress?
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

Mord wrote:Who the fuck thought it was a good idea to put 60+ year-old Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher in front of the camera?
the same idiot that put Harrison Ford in a Millennium Falcon that didn't work (did it ever really?) to cause him to have a broke leg and be out for at least a few months.

what is next, someone putting Ian McKellen in a Jason Statham movie, or Morgan Freeman in a Riddick movie?

new Star Wars should have been done before Crystal Skulls Indiana Jones.

I am seeing all 3 now as "When 900 years old you are, look as good as me you will not" Yoda.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Given the track records of the people involved, I won't watch this. Even if the chance to do so, free, were given to me. I have better uses for my time.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

erik wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:i wonder if mel brooks is ever going to make a second space balls . .
Lucas beat him to the punch on the parody. How are you going to top racist alien accents, green screen addiction, the stupidest plot imaginable, microforceganisms, and a wooden doll empress?
Twilight Force Vampires?
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.