Why in D&D world doesnt anyone want to become an adventurer?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

xechnao
Apprentice

Why in D&D world doesnt anyone want to become an adventurer?

Post by xechnao »

Help me find a good reason for it. Adventurers gain levels and power. They can gain enough so they can kill or buy any non adventurer and it does not seem that adventurers have a higher career mortality than anybody else due to healing and what not divine power. In fact it is peasants that seem to have the more victims of fatal aggression in D&D world. Ok, now with 5e and bounded accuracy it seems that lower level characters can pose a threat to higher level ones. But what about previous editions?
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

1. The risk of dying horribly
2. Not everyone has the stomach for killing dozens of sentient things every day, then rooting around in their guts in case of swallowed valuable.
3. People can level up doing stuff besides adventuring, especially if they are NPCS.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Well, in the first place most people never have the opportunity. They don't have the training, seed money or natural talent they'd need to do well as adventurers, and they have families to feed, fields to plough etc. etc.
Adventurers are rare. Heck, even most adventurers aren't "professional" adventurers in most settings I've played -rather, they find themselves in situations where they have to do extraordinary things to reach their goals -find lost mentors, stop a war, defeat a rampaging dragon or what have you. (Often, of course, this then kicks off some larger quest- but it's still not a matter of taking up "adventure" as a deliberate career choice, just of doing what's necessary.)

Beyond that... no, compared to peasants, adventurers have a vastly higher career mortality rate. IME, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60%. It just seems otherwise because the only peasants Your adventurers tend to spend a lot of time around are those who require the aid of adventurers.
Last edited by Schleiermacher on Thu May 08, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Re: Why in D&D world doesnt anyone want to become an adventurer?

Post by hyzmarca »

xechnao wrote:Help me find a good reason for it. Adventurers gain levels and power. They can gain enough so they can kill or buy any non adventurer and it does not seem that adventurers have a higher career mortality than anybody else due to healing and what not divine power. In fact it is peasants that seem to have the more victims of fatal aggression in D&D world. Ok, now with 5e and bounded accuracy it seems that lower level characters can pose a threat to higher level ones. But what about previous editions?
Housecats.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

If its OD&D, its pretty obvious.

Now, assuming 3e or 4e with all those perfectly balanced encounter matchups (and low mortality rates), yeah, I agree with Xechnao its nonsensic.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
xechnao
Apprentice

Post by xechnao »

Schleiermacher wrote:Well, in the first place most people never have the opportunity. They don't have the training, seed money or natural talent they'd need to do well as adventurers, and they have families to feed, fields to plough etc. etc.
Adventurers are rare. Heck, even most adventurers aren't "professional" adventurers in most settings I've played -rather, they find themselves in situations where they have to do extraordinary things to reach their goals -find lost mentors, stop a war, defeat a rampaging dragon or what have you. (Often, of course, this then kicks off some larger quest- but it's still not a matter of taking up "adventure" as a deliberate career choice, just of doing what's necessary.)

Beyond that... no, compared to peasants, adventurers have a vastly higher career mortality rate. IME, somewhere in the neighborhood of 60%. It just seems otherwise because the only peasants Your adventurers tend to spend a lot of time around are those who require the aid of adventurers.
Are you sure about that? Adventurers have access to healing magic, while peasants do not. I mean as an adventurer you can heal and resurrect people. It really seems logical that every family should invest in a kid or two becoming high level adventurers.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

xechnao wrote:Adventurers have access to healing magic, while peasants do not. I mean as an adventurer you can heal and resurrect people. It really seems logical that every family should invest in a kid or two becoming high level adventurers.
And why is that necessarily true? There are plenty of settings where magical healing is available for free or at least affordable rates. If people with PC classes are semicommon, why not just join a church?

...Is this thread going to turn into a 5 page argument about health insurance? Was that the plan all along?
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Roll 3d6.

Stat generation doesn't always lead to getting the required stats to become an adventurer.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Where are they going to get the training? Where are they going to get the equipment? The overwhelming majority of families won't have the resources to provide these things. And if they had them, it's better to use them to build prosperity than to gamble all that time, money and effort -not to mention the life of your kid- that he's going to be lucky enough to strike it big rather than either dying in a ditch or becoming just another bandit/mercenary.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

You're looking at this from a metagame perspective. In world there is no "CR" or "Level Appropriate" to save your ass. When you go wandering into the wilderness as a 1st level party sometimes you encounter a war party of Trolls or a hunting pair of Dire Bears and suddenly that Cure Light Wounds doesn't mean dick.

Having the players face a gradually increasing series of challenges designed to test, but not best them is a construct set up to produce a fun gaming experience and replicate a "zero to hero" narrative arc. It certainly isn't something the general populace can rely on. Something I heard somewhere is that the normal population distribution assumes each level of adventurer has a 50% mortality rate before reaching the next level. So 50% of 1st level adventurers die before reaching 2nd level, 50% of 2nd level adventurers die before reaching 3rd level, etc. That gives you some idea of why every peasant with a pointy stick doesn't go wandering off into the wilderness looking for monsters to fight.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

PCs have the advantages of their challenges being level appropriate due to DM intervention. NPC adventurers do not enjoy such privilege.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Even PCs sometimes have to exercise the better part of valor.
xechnao
Apprentice

Post by xechnao »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:
xechnao wrote:Adventurers have access to healing magic, while peasants do not. I mean as an adventurer you can heal and resurrect people. It really seems logical that every family should invest in a kid or two becoming high level adventurers.
And why is that necessarily true? There are plenty of settings where magical healing is available for free or at least affordable rates. If people with PC classes are semicommon, why not just join a church?

...Is this thread going to turn into a 5 page argument about health insurance? Was that the plan all along?
Heh, lol no. But you got to admit it is strange that high level characters are so powerful, relatively easily achievable to become one (by the game mechanics) yet so rare. Also with enough adventurers around people could have solved the monster problem too.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

Well, it's true that advancement in 3.x is too fast. But it's by no means easy to make it to high level.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I was going to pitch in, but pretty much all the points I would have brought up have already been mentioned.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Youre trying to make sense out of a game that wasnt created to make sense.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
xechnao
Apprentice

Post by xechnao »

Red_Rob wrote:You're looking at this from a metagame perspective. In world there is no "CR" or "Level Appropriate" to save your ass. When you go wandering into the wilderness as a 1st level party sometimes you encounter a war party of Trolls or a hunting pair of Dire Bears and suddenly that Cure Light Wounds doesn't mean dick.

Having the players face a gradually increasing series of challenges designed to test, but not best them is a construct set up to produce a fun gaming experience and replicate a "zero to hero" narrative arc. It certainly isn't something the general populace can rely on. Something I heard somewhere is that the normal population distribution assumes each level of adventurer has a 50% mortality rate before reaching the next level. So 50% of 1st level adventurers die before reaching 2nd level, 50% of 2nd level adventurers die before reaching 3rd level, etc. That gives you some idea of why every peasant with a pointy stick doesn't go wandering off into the wilderness looking for monsters to fight.
That would mean a 0,0005 survivability rate till level 10 and 0,000001 till level 20. So every 1,000,000 adventurers (adventurers not peasants) only one makes it to level 20. That would mean that if 1% of population became adventurers then you would need 100,000,000 people to have one level20 character in the campaign. So if there are twenty level20 people in your campaign that would mean that there is a population of 2 billions. Makes kind of sense in fiction but it is not really supported by game mechanics.

Now think about world of warcraft video game. Obviously, for it to make any demographic sense everyone, every peasant around, should have had adventurer levels of some sort. If not, if there is this D&D demographic rule in play and judging by the big number of high level characters around (players and fiction characters) then the WoW population should have been in the high quadrillions, which I doubt it is. I wonder which kind of approach would make most sense in fiction and in game.
Last edited by xechnao on Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schleiermacher
Knight-Baron

Post by Schleiermacher »

That would mean a 0,0005 survivability rate till level 10 and 0,000001 till level 20. So every 1,000,000 adventurers (adventurers not peasants) only one makes it to level 20. That would mean that if 1% of population became adventurers then you would need 100,000,000 people to have one level20 character in the campaign. So if there are twenty level20 people in your campaign that would mean that there is a population of 2 billions. Makes kind of sense in fiction but it is not really supported by game mechanics.
A bit low, especially because it doesn't take into account characters of "monstrous" races, who get to start a few rungs up the ladder, but that's about the right ballpark, yes. 20th level characters are serious business.

And the game mechanics can support quite a lot of different scenarios depending on what assumptions you make. Keep in mind that to gain a level, an adventurer has to defeat 3.3 monsters or other adventurers who are each equal to him in power, which is no easy task.

Anyone who sets out deliberately to become an adventurer is most likely quite deranged.
magnuskn
Knight

Post by magnuskn »

Also, let's not forget that only PC's get the juicy PC WBL. NPC's are stuck with their own sucky WBL progression.
shadzar
Prince

Post by shadzar »

In ALL editions of D&D, there are often many dwellers of the world that DO want to be an adventurer. Those lucky enough to do so become NPCs. The extremely rare and lucky become PCs. Everyone else is just screwed by fate to have to be Villager #656 or Merchant #6848.
Play the game, not the rules.
Swordslinger wrote:Or fuck it... I'm just going to get weapon specialization in my cock and whip people to death with it. Given all the enemies are total pussies, it seems like the appropriate thing to do.
Lewis Black wrote:If the people of New Zealand want to be part of our world, I believe they should hop off their islands, and push 'em closer.
good read (Note to self Maxus sucks a barrel of cocks.)
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

We live in a world where only a minuscule elite has a college degree. (around 5% at most). It makes perfect sense to expect the same in d&d land.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

shadzar wrote:The extremely rare and lucky become PCs. Everyone else is just screwed by fate to have to be Villager #656 or Merchant #6848.
... I'm not sure I'd want my life decisions to have been predetermined by some random guy in a gaming store's back room. Really, I'm lucky that I'm not a PC and I'd imagine a lot of characters would feel the same way.
Last edited by Avoraciopoctules on Fri May 09, 2014 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

Societal pressure. Adventurers aren't farmers or carpenters or blacksmiths or guardsmen or hunters or merchants or anything else that makes society actually work. While they can and often do have the skills nessissary to do any of those tasks, that's not what they're here to do, and even if they were, adventurers are nomadic and will soon be moving on leaving you to deal with your own problems again.

Adventurers have power, and universally use that power to take what they want, even the benevolent ones. And since most people don't have Know Alignment, it's often hard to tell if these adventurers coming into town are going to kill you or your family for questionable motives or not.

So in addition to the Adventurer lifestyle being dangerous, Adventurers are also irresponsible, unreliable, and stand a good chance of being an actual threat to you and yours.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Accept, that adventurers do preform the necessary service of "preventing manticores from eating you in your sleep." As for high adventurer mortality rates... is that really in genre? Sure in AD&D PCs died a lot, but not so much any more, and it's not as though D&D is the bards tale, you don't find the bones of all the OTHER chosen ones strewn about the dungeons, accompanied by a quartet of singing goblins when you loot the bodies, sitting a grim sign posts of failed adventure. I don't recall reading that advice in the DM's guide anyway.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
Desdan_Mervolam
Knight-Baron

Post by Desdan_Mervolam »

darkmaster wrote:Accept, that adventurers do preform the necessary service of "preventing manticores from eating you in your sleep."

Sure. But those are exceptional circumstances. If you have Sleep-Creeper Manticores, or a threat that is equivalent every day, you might want to consider moving to a safer neighborhood. Or you know, throw yourself down a pit and end your suffering.
Don't bother trying to impress gamers. They're too busy trying to impress you to care.