If you had your druthers, what would you play right now?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Midnight_v wrote:
I mean the ones where Lovecraft meets these otherworldly horror and his heroes wig the fuck out and gibber... then die.
Where as Conan and crew... punch that shit in the face till it either dies, capitulates or gets pushed back into its shithole for another 1000 years.
I like the howard stories better, but they're action adventure stories, more than horror once the protagonist shows up.

Still I'd play it if it existed in action adventure mode.
There was that time a swede drove a boat into Cthulu's head.

So Conan is a man with the strength of a speed boat
Josh_Kablack
King

Re: If you had your druthers, what would you play right now?

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Mask_De_H wrote:That game was made by a scrub. I'm certain of it after finally getting a chance to play it. I also found a speed-dependent infinite throw loop while trying to make Makoto in it.
Bah, you only say it was written by a scrub because you explicitly lose Honor or Glory for using effective maneuvers repeatedly. :p

Do you mean the obvious throw loop with Special Forces Suplex or something more interesting?
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

If I was to have to way, I'd be playing MnM, PL 10, with a GM that actually cares about the genre, with no more than 3 players, over OpenRPG.
downzorz
1st Level

Post by downzorz »

My ideal game is a theoretical, balanced D&D 3.5/Tome with that strikes a balance between rocket launcher tag and padded sumo further away from the tag side of things than it is right now.

After Sundown is awesome.

GURPS, if I could convince anyone I know to take the time to sit down and learn it.
Whipstitch wrote:Yeah, it should be noted that combat citations went from "Was super brave and inspiring" to "Killed like 40 guys by himself, no shit" once the machine gun nest was introduced.
Bihlbo
Master

Post by Bihlbo »

downzorz wrote:My ideal game is a theoretical, balanced D&D 3.5/Tome with that strikes a balance between rocket launcher tag and padded sumo further away from the tag side of things than it is right now.
So, the holy grail then? Pretty sure no one would turn that down.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I wouldn't mind running a one-shot of 3E or 4E D&D where the PCs controlled 3-4 characters of 1st to 3rd level. Or playing in one, for that matter.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
downzorz
1st Level

Post by downzorz »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:I wouldn't mind running a one-shot of 3E or 4E D&D where the PCs controlled 3-4 characters of 1st to 3rd level. Or playing in one, for that matter.
I've done this multiple times; with D&D as well as with D20 Modern. It works well.

I also really want to play a game of D&D with two groups of players, one in opposition to the other. One DM to handle everything else. So the DM controls the world and setting and shit, but Dark Lord Bangarang is another player, and you are working against him.
Last edited by downzorz on Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think the most fun I had when playing Rifts was character creation. Not that its rules for such are any great shakes, but the MC had a basic statement that "everything is fair game concept wise so long as we can stat it." I played Rampage from Beast Wars, an Endbringer, and an anthropomorphic goat. One player gave the MC a cradh course in String Theory because he wanted to play a fourth dimensional being, but then changed his mind. Another player played the farmer from Harvest Moon, complete with mdc punches to fell trees, super farming skills and backpack of holding.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

downzorz wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:I wouldn't mind running a one-shot of 3E or 4E D&D where the PCs controlled 3-4 characters of 1st to 3rd level. Or playing in one, for that matter.
I've done this multiple times; with D&D as well as with D20 Modern. It works well.

I also really want to play a game of D&D with two groups of players, one in opposition to the other. One DM to handle everything else. So the DM controls the world and setting and shit, but Dark Lord Bangarang is another player, and you are working against him.
Amber diceless apparently does that well. I saw one larger group running it as a near-LARP (up and walking about for private conversations, but not acting anything out) with a husband and wife teamed up as co-MCs. That seemed to go very well.

The Warlord CCG also did something similar for it's backstory: it came from a dnd campaign where the players ran evil characters up to ~level 8, them the DM took their sheets and started them over as a good party trying to stop their previous characters.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.