WHO ARE YOU!?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

erik
King

Post by erik »

Shrapnel wrote:I hope both the old Star Trek II and the new Star Trek II (well, technically Star Trek XII) both feature Khan.
That would be awesome.

And oh shit, I just realized I never did my Whoism.

I'm a 34 year old Indianapolis native. Now an Ophthalmology tech and DBA/EMR beginner guru. Two boys, 4 years and 2.5 years old. Still happily with my first wife. Less happily with my 3 cats (which is 2 too many).

I started gaming around age 8 or so with my older brother who liked creating his own games, and was introduced to D&D with the Red basic book and that murdering bastard Bargle.

I started RPG messageboarding on WotC with the release of 3e about, what 15 years ago? Jesus. Strangely this doesn't make me feel old though, it just makes young adults seem really young to me.

[edit:]Ahhhh, remembering 3e's release brings back some nostaligic lulz. For the kids too young to remember, 3e's initial release was an awesome internet failure. The WotC website had a timer counting down to the second 3e was being released, and when that timer hit the zero second mark it automatically redirected every open browser to their new release page. Yes, they orchestrated a denial of service attack upon themselves. It was gloriously poor planning. I was at a party or something on campus when it happened and my computer was one of the many, many thousands that was just left open on that countdown out of curiosity not imagining that anyone would be foolish enough to code it like that. Good times.
Last edited by erik on Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korgan0
Duke

Post by Korgan0 »

erik wrote:
Korgan0 wrote:
JigokuBosatsu wrote:I recently attended a showing of Star Trek 2 with the Portland Scifi Book Club, which I had just joined. It was really awkward- all those early-mid twenty-somethings, and me in my tweed jacket and white beard. :(
Damn, dude. Not asking for any details, but would you say it's worth seeing?
It's got a pretty decent rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

The new one doesn't release until May 17th.
Yeah, I was thinking he managed to finagle some kind of super-special-awesome preview showing thingy. I've seen the old Star Trek II a couple of times, and it is really good, if only for Kirk's angry shouting.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

im a worm
Last edited by Dr_Noface on Thu May 02, 2019 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

25-year old student in Oakland, California, finishing off a Geography degree at Cal State East Bay. Don't do recreational drugs (do like tea, though), really enjoy hiking and sometimes camping in the mountains or Mojave desert.

I've done 2 decently-paid internships with the East Bay Regional Park district, and hope to get a job with them after I graduate. In the meantime, I volunteer at the Oakland Public Library. Even though I have an AS in Information Science, I don't really think I want to make a career out of being a regular public librarian anymore. It seemed really glamorous when I was 12, but I want something that forces me to think more now.
Zinegata
Prince

Post by Zinegata »

I'm 29, and I live in Manila, The Philippines. I graduated BS Comsci, but I ended up in marketing for a major local telco's Internet service (if you're ever in the 'ppines and need Internet, yes you may PM me). Pretty well-paid by local standards with very nice benefits. I live alone after both of my parents passed away.

I used to do a lot of online D&Ding with 8headeddragon and Meikle but I've had to drop out a bit because I've been boardgaming face-to-face much more frequently nowadays. Check out Gaming Library and Philboardgamer if you're ever stuck in the 'ppines and want to do some gaming.

I've also sorta done some playtesting for the Canadian Game Artisans group, plus some local startups trying to make games.
Last edited by Zinegata on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Yeah, sorry, I said Star Trek 2 and meant it. ;) KHAAAAAANNN

And Erik- my wife is an ophtalmic tech. Well, she's a supervisor now, but yeah. Do you ever get the whole "HURR DURR YOU AN OPTOMETRIST?" She does all the time. I have to explain to people that optometrists don't snip motherfuckers' eyeballs with scissors.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Avoraciopoctules wrote:It seemed really glamorous when I was 12, but I want something that forces me to think more now.
My father-in-law is a public librarian, and he has to do that "thinking" thing almost every day. You probably aren't meaning to, but I wouldn't stereotype that job -- it can vary wildly.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

Most librarians I know are either very actively involved in promoting education and critical thinking in kids, or blessed with tons of free time that they can use for writing/art/etc.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
The Vigilante
Master

Post by The Vigilante »

I thought of starting that thread too after seeing the replies in Frank's birthday thread. That's kinda funny.

I am 26 years old white male living in Montreal, Quebec. Did a year of political science before dropping out and working full time for a year. I graduated last year with a BA in administration but an "interesting" internship and other factors made me reconsider my career choice. Currently completing some classes in order to work on a masters in economics while working part time as a specialized salesman in a field I do not care to mention. I may end up working this summer as a job counselor for immigrant youth, which would be pretty cool and help me make inner peace with my bs degree.

I started gaming around 2000 when 3rd edition was brand new but quickly moved on to SR 3rd edition and then homebrewed SR 4th edition after a few years hiatus. I enjoy scifi and drinking whisky, probably a bit too much (I have 7 bottles sitting on my shelf at the moment).

EDIT : I guess I forgot to mention that I've been in a long term relationship for 8 years and counting. I have been living with my girlfriend for about 6 years now and are moving downtown as she is returning to school to study in a program called bioecology (I don't get it, isn't ecology always biological in nature ? I am confused).
Last edited by The Vigilante on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no one - for I am the meanest motherfucker in the valley.
Ant
Honorary Associate Fence Builder

Post by Ant »

I remain an ant.
I am an ant.
sabs
Duke

Post by sabs »

Damn you guys are all babies.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

I'm a youthful whippersnapper at the age of 22. I live in Washington, where I work as a programmer; unfortunately not as a programmer of computer games.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

sabs wrote:Damn you guys are all babies.
It's not my fault that I was born relatively recently, nor can I help the fact that I am young when the world was old.

Personally, I wish had been born in 84 A.D., then I'd be a spryly 1,924 years old; just enough to have tenure in most places, but just young enough to still be carded.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well, if you want to be technical, once at summer camp I was accidentally listed as being born in CE 991.

So I guess I'm technically 1021, typos FTW.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I once told this chick I knew that I was born in B.C. 91, and she bought it. Granted, I didn't specify the B.C. bit, and just said "I was born in 91", but she in my defense she was very annoying and claimed to be psychic and know what I was thinking, and I once put a live fish down her shirt. How did I get talking about this?
Half asleep upon my knee
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

Surgo wrote:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:It seemed really glamorous when I was 12, but I want something that forces me to think more now.
My father-in-law is a public librarian, and he has to do that "thinking" thing almost every day. You probably aren't meaning to, but I wouldn't stereotype that job -- it can vary wildly.
Oh, absolutely. There's a wide variety of database management, archivist, and librarian jobs available. But I've volunteered at OPL for almost 10 years now, and I've seen what kinds of questions university librarians tend to get from students, and I'd rather not spend my whole life making that into a career. I'd rather do more real research and planning.

Like what I've done in my research and database digitization work for the park district. That put what I learned in my library science classes to good use.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Shrapnel wrote:I once told this chick I knew that I was born in B.C. 91, and she bought it. Granted, I didn't specify the B.C. bit, and just said "I was born in 91"
So in other words, she didn't "buy it" at all, you're just full of shit.
Foxwarrior
Duke

Post by Foxwarrior »

But she was a mind reader, Surgo. Of course Shrapnel assumed she could tell he meant B.C.
erik
King

Post by erik »

JigokuBosatsu wrote:Yeah, sorry, I said Star Trek 2 and meant it. ;) KHAAAAAANNN

And Erik- my wife is an ophtalmic tech. Well, she's a supervisor now, but yeah. Do you ever get the whole "HURR DURR YOU AN OPTOMETRIST?" She does all the time. I have to explain to people that optometrists don't snip motherfuckers' eyeballs with scissors.
Nah, the majority of the people coming to our office are mostly there for major eye problems so they know the score between optometrists and ophthalmologists since they've had to go through the drill. Maybe I'll get that more if I ever get to socialize with new people outside of work.

I do get asked often, almost daily, if I am a doctor or training to be a doctor though. It's reinforced since I resemble one of the doctors who has his picture on the wall and we have 1-2 different fellow MDs each year so there's always new faces for the docs.

I'm still on the newbie as an ophthalmology tech since I started in January and the majority of my work has been in making modifications to our electronic medical record system and transcribing for the docs.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

24 years old, livin' in Indianapolis, IN (since like 3 months ago). I work as a packager for CNH (Best job I've had). I'm single, straight, black, and been gaming since 3rd first came out.

I think I was doomed to be a gamer because the area I grew up in certainly didn't support the habit. I started with DnD because of an episode of Dexter's lab. Been gaming since then. I don't get to game in the flesh since I moved here and I'm not familiar with any local groups so I play online most of the time.

I like a bunch of nerd stuff Anime, Videogames, YuGiOh, Comics, all kinds of shit. Don't personally know anybody here or anything.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

MGuy wrote:all kinds of shit. Don't personally know anybody here or anything.
That's ok, I'll be your den friend. I always notice your posts because your sig mocks me and it always makes me like your posts a little more
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
zugschef
Knight-Baron

Post by zugschef »

MGuy wrote:I started with DnD because of an episode of Dexter's lab.
and what a great episode it is...
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

I am no one to be trifled with. That is all you ever need to know.

But because it's fun and I saw a bunch of people here are from MA.

WHO AM I (literal)? I'm a 24 year old straight white male in MA. The government/police love me!

WHO AM I (work)? I do web design stuff and editing right now. Used to be a journalist, went to school for journalism and IT. I consider myself extremely lucky that I have a steady and decently well paying job (considering my schooling).

WHO AM I (stuff I do)? I used to play video games for money. I'm competitive and really like video games, mostly playing League of Legends at this point (Plat II right now, bitches). I'm OK at chess, pretty good at tennis, and haven't gotten to play D&D in over a year because nerds are hard to find for some reason.

WHO AM I (Misc)? I'm engaged, and we're hoping to buy a townhouse and then eventually buy a real house.

I'm really hoping nobody rapes my dog with this information.
Last edited by Pseudo Stupidity on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Dogs are really hard to rape, I've discovered.
Half asleep upon my knee
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

It's to do with... knots or something, right?